ADVERTISEMENT

Reopening

Re-opening the economy is not going to be like a light switch that we just flick on. This is going to be a gradual, sustained return to normalcy with bumps along the way. Outbreaks will occur again and parts of the country will have to shelter in place again. Pre-Rona life will not return until a vaccine arrives, which they are saying is mid to late 2021, so I'm gonna say we're gonna live with this until 2022 at least.

Due to assumed mass infection and lack of testing, the entire epidemiology department at Stanford University + many other doctors associated with the school including Dr. Battacharya believe strongly that this epidemic will have a similar rate of death to the seasonal flu. Maybe close to .1%. No joke, look it up. He's also doing a massive nationwide antibody study with MLB. Pretty interesting. https://www.foxnews.com/media/stanford-professor-jay-bhattacharya-coronavirus-death-rate

Last edited:
Re-opening the economy is not going to be like a light switch that we just flick on. This is going to be a gradual, sustained return to normalcy with bumps along the way. Outbreaks will occur again and parts of the country will have to shelter in place again. Pre-Rona life will not return until a vaccine arrives, which they are saying is mid to late 2021, so I'm gonna say we're gonna live with this until 2022 at least.

This is increasingly my concern. And since I'm in my eighth decade, I don't like it one damn bit.

But to deny what's happening -- in terms of both severity and potential duration -- is the surest path to an ironic outcome.

The trade-off could very well be a lesser life in return for a longer one. A choice most Americans aren't used to making.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
KUjjxfq.gif

This is increasingly my concern. And since I'm in my eighth decade, I don't like it one damn bit.

But to deny what's happening -- in terms of both severity and potential duration -- is the surest path to an ironic outcome.

The trade-off could very well be a lesser life in return for a longer one. A choice most Americans aren't used to making.
Eighth decade? I assumed for your pic and post you were a 29 year old meth addict.

Reactions: Golson5
Turns out that couple who drank the fish tank chlorine, and became ill, saying it was because Trump said it would cure the virus, are not exactly ‘upstanding citizens’ and worse they are ‘die’ hard Dems! Once again, you will not get the full story from the liberal media.

Turns out that couple who drank the fish tank chlorine, and became ill, saying it was because Trump said it would cure the virus, are not exactly ‘upstanding citizens’ and worse they are ‘die’ hard Dems! Once again, you will not get the full story from the liberal media.
Not fair to use empirical evidence versus emotional BS spinning!

Reactions: rgc7 and d1042
I went to St. Benedict's. We played all the Newark schools --Central, East Side, West Side, South Side -- in football. I had a good game against Central as a senior: a TD and an interception. We all played both ways in those days.

So, you were deployed on South Orange Avenue during the riots? That was a tough neighborhood. Can't imagine what it must have been like with sporadic gunfire. Newark was an intense place in the 60's.

One morning, as we were walking up the hill to school, a gun battle erupted around us. Someone had robbed a liquor store at 8 AM, and the proprietor had opened up on the burglar.

But, at least, no one was pulling guns out in the classroom. We hadn't evolved yet to that point.

Did you know Bucky and Gerry O’Connor from South/West Orange.
I believe their dad played in the Rose Bowl for ND

Bob Brennen ?

Riots were in 1967.

A liquor store open at 8:00am ?

Did you know Bucky and Gerry O’Connor from South/West Orange.
I believe their dad played in the Rose Bowl for ND

Bob Brennen ?

Riots were in 1967.

A liquor store open at 8:00am ?

Don't know any of them.

But I remember a few who played football for Seton Hall Prep, which was our arch-rival. Jim Reynolds, QB; Bill Conover, RB.
Two very good players.

I also played against Larry Schumacher who I believe started at LB for ND in 69. I also competed against him in the finals of the 100 yard dash. He beat me.

Yes, the riots were in 67. I graduated in 66, and my brother entered in 68. We both "dodged" a bullet. Or, as it turned out, a hail of them.

And, yes, it was 8 AM and the liquor store WAS open. It was NEWARK in the early 60's. Stuff like that went on.

Routinely.

Was Marty Liquoiri Benedicts or S.H.?
Benedicts and S.H. along with East Orange and Montclair (Clary Anderson) were state powers.

4-4-3 did you play E.O.? Was Jim Oliver on E.O. when you played?

Benedicts and S.H. along with East Orange and Montclair (Clary Anderson) were state powers.

My ex wife lived on So. Orange Ave. just above City Hall! and it was an adventure picking her up and dropping her off!

Jim Delaney Big Ten Commish was a St Benedict's guy I believe no ?

Jim was my classmate, a friend and an All-State basketball guard.
He later started at 5' 10" for North Carolina. In high school, he started as a freshman.

He had the same kind of confident determination as Derek Jeter and was the best athlete in our class. By a long shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: ivan brunetti

Marty was a great miler and ran for Essex Catholic, which closed some years ago. I loved watching him run at meets.

I was a sprinter, quarter-miler and long jumper and almost a lock to finish third -- but no higher -- in at least one of those events per competition.

But Marty was WORLD CLASS. Ran in the Olympics, right?

Yes, Jim Oliver -- he was going to be the next Jimmy Brown, right? -- played against us in 63. They were State Champs that year, I believe.

We were down only 13-7 at half-time in their yard, but they pulled away in the second half, and we lost something like 34-20 or 34- 13. The plan had been to beat them and take the State championship, ourselves.

I was only a sophomore and didn't play in that game.

But I did play in the 65 game when we upset them, though I forget the score. They were ranked 5th at the time, and we'd lost our first two games, so it was a very big deal.

Their big horse that year was a tough Italian kid. Frank LaBruto or LaBruno? Something like that. Larry Csonka type. He was the only white guy on the team.

I had a pretty good game at CB that day and shoe-stringed one of their shifty gazelles for a 5 yard loss off a sweep on the very first play. And in their yard. It set the tone.

Never forgot it.

Reactions: tbonesays and d1042
Don't know any of them.

But I remember a few who played football for Seton Hall Prep, which was our arch-rival. Jim Reynolds, QB; Bill Conover, RB.
Two very good players.

I also played against Larry Schumacher who I believe started at LB for ND in 69. I also competed against him in the finals of the 100 yard dash. He beat me.

Yes, the riots were in 67. I graduated in 66, and my brother entered in 68. We both "dodged" a bullet. Or, as it turned out, a hail of them.

And, yes, it was 8 AM and the liquor store WAS open. It was NEWARK in the early 60's. Stuff like that went on.

Routinely.

I’m very familiar with the area having lived in the Vailsburg section of Newark early in life, with relatives living in SO on the other side of SOA across from SH

No, I'm thinking wills every day. Especially, since our lawyer just died of the virus. We're now getting an associate of his up to speed.

Here's the latest COVID-19 projection/graph from Morgan Stanley Research done, no doubt, by one of their biotech analysts.

It includes anti-viral, vaccination and projected return-to-work timelines. Note the projected SECOND WAVE envisioned between November 2020 and March 2021.

This is why many in the medical community see no fans-in-the-stands SPORTS until 2021 at the earliest.

https://www.zerohedge.com/s3/files/inline-images/MS coronavirus timeline.jpg?itok=ckqsN0pV

I'd love to see the data behind this projection.
You have given up your freedom because of your fear. Weak.

Reactions: Golson5
You have given up your freedom because of your fear. Weak.

Not to worry.

12-0, right? Then 12-0. Then 12-0. And maybe an NC or two?

Have I got that right?

Or am I being too BRAVE?

I’m very familiar with the area having lived in the Vailsburg section of Newark early in life, with relatives living in SO on the other side of SOA across from SH

Well, there you go!

Jim Delaney, my classmate, was from South Orange. As was another classmate, Charles Deubel, whose father, I think, was mayor then.

There were 5 or 6 Deubel sisters, four of whom I still know. A couple of linemen on our football team lived on the Vailsburg/South Orange border. One, a good friend, is now dead.

There was a Pabst brewery around there somewhere as I recall.

Others on our team were from Maplewood and Irvington.

All in all, they were pretty tough kids, and the ones who weren't tried very hard to be.

It was a great time to be a teenager. 4% GDP, lots of good music, tons of summer jobs.

Then in 65, with Berkeley heating up, the world did a 180. But that was fine, too. Everyone went nuts and called it a sacrament.

College, for me, felt like paradise.

Not to worry.

12-0, right? Then 12-0. Then 12-0. And maybe an NC or two?

Have I got that right?

Or am I being too BRAVE?

4-4-3 the most famous name dropper in the Nation. Tell us your famous classmates again. Wow ! I can tell everyone I was on the same message board as 4-4-3 !

Reactions: sluggo69
Well, there you go!

Jim Delaney, my classmate, was from South Orange. As was another classmate, Charles Deubel, whose father, I think, was mayor then.

There were 5 or 6 Deubel sisters, four of whom I still know. A couple of linemen on our football team lived on the Vailsburg/South Orange border. One, a good friend, is now dead.

There was a Pabst brewery around there somewhere as I recall.

Others on our team were from Maplewood and Irvington.

All in all, they were pretty tough kids, and the ones who weren't tried very hard to be.

It was a great time to be a teenager. 4% GDP, lots of good music, tons of summer jobs.

Then in 65, with Berkeley heating up, the world did a 180. But that was fine, too. Everyone went nuts and called it a sacrament.

College, for me, felt like paradise.

name_dropping.jpg

4-4-3 the most famous name dropper in the Nation. Tell us your famous classmates again. Wow ! I can tell everyone I was on the same message board as 4-4-3 !

What's the matter? Don't YOU know anyone? You have to rely on pushing MY screen name?

Where you been living, man?

So, you don't know anyone noteworthy at all? You're like from --what -- THE LITTLE PEOPLE?

Good common folk?

To be honest, I don't know anyone who doesn't know anyone noteworthy.

I mean, who are you living with? The Iroquois?

Last edited:
Reactions: d1042
What's the matter? Don't YOU know anyone? You have to rely on pushing MY screen name?

Where you been living, man?

I live in a State of bliss where the Irish were 12 and 0 in 2012. 12 and 0 in 2018. And almost 12 and 0 in 2015. And would have been 12 and 0 in 2013 if Golson wasn't suspended for the entire season and the Irish will go 12 and 0 in 2020 if the doomsayers don't cancel the season !!

Ah, miss the Pabst Brewery bottle?
As a kid, driving home from south meant you were almost home! (exit 145)

There was a hot dog cart guy, exit before S.O. ave, used to dtop n get a few, whenever I went by there!

Lots of them in North Jersey .

I can remember getting transferred to NJ and working with my sales reps who covered the state back in the day.

I was always fascinated how the state changed as you headed south on the Turnpike . When you went past Exit 7 it was like you were in another country.

A vivid memory is making 2 stops on the way home to my wife pregnant with our 2nd child.

" A Dickie Dees Italian Hot Dog and Applegate's Ice Cream or don't come home " were my marching orders. :):)

Lots of them in North Jersey .

I can remember getting transferred to NJ and working with my sales reps who covered the state back in the day.

I was always fascinated how the state changed as you headed south on the Turnpike . When you went past Exit 7 it was like you were in another country.

A vivid memory is making 2 stops on the way home to my wife pregnant with our 2nd child.

" A Dickie Dees Italian Hot Dog and Applegate's Ice Cream or don't come home " were my marching orders. :):)

hate the Turnpike! it is like being on bumper cars at Palisades Park!
The whole state has changed, not for the better!

Did you guys ever goto the Ting-a-Ling on Bloomfield Ave?
(4-4-3: surely you did!?)

https://www.google.com/search?q=tin...oECAsQAw&biw=967&bih=591#imgrc=qI76xLFCA4vhgM

and I once knew a very prominent Iroquois - ‘What Exit’

Last edited:
Yeah I did-----Dickie Dees had the better Hot Dog and Ting A Lings had the better Lemon Ice.

Jackie's Lemon Ice in Belleville was better than both of them.

hate the Turnpike! it is like being on bumper cars at Palisades Park!
The whole state has changed, not for the better!

Did you guys ever goto the Ting-a-Ling on Bloomfield Ave?
(4-4-3: surely you did!?)

https://www.google.com/search?q=tin...oECAsQAw&biw=967&bih=591#imgrc=qI76xLFCA4vhgM

and I once knew a very prominent Iroquois - ‘What Exit’

South Jersey was very different .

Was with my South Jersey Rep one time in an account in Vineland.

We were talking with his customer and he said to me " you aren't from around here are you " ?

" No I live in North Jersey "

" Where New Brunswick " ?

Amazing-------I didn't have the heart to tell him New Brunswick isn't exactly North Jersey.

Yeah I did-----Dickie Dees had the better Hot Dog and Ting A Lings had the better Lemon Ice.

Jackie's Lemon Ice in Belleville was better than both of them.

Jackie’s on Belleville Ave?

did you ever go to Kearny for Fish n Chips?

I had two dorm buddies at ND who were from NJ. One lived in Dover and the other in Elizabeth. I went back east with them during a school break and visited their homes. Though not that far from each other, the two cities could not have been more different. As I recall Dover had lots of green, rolling hills and expensive homes. (Quite frankly, I hadn't expected to see that in New Jersey, but that's on me.) Much of Elizabeth, on the other hand, had a much harder edge to it. Don't know if it is still that way. I had new respect for my buddy seeing where he grew up.

I had two dorm buddies at ND who were from NJ. One lived in Dover and the other in Elizabeth. I went back east with them during a school break and visited their homes. Though not that far from each other, the two cities could not have been more different. As I recall Dover had lots of green, rolling hills and expensive homes. (Quite frankly, I hadn't expected to see that in New Jersey, but that's on me.) Much of Elizabeth, on the other hand, had a much harder edge to it. Don't know if it is still that way. I had new respect for my buddy seeing where he grew up.

Here’s are the top 10 states for millionaires per capita in 2018, according to the report.

1. New Jersey

Ratio of millionaires to total households: 8.95 percent

2. District of Columbia

8.94 percent

3. Connecticut

8.89 percent

4. Maryland

8.85 percent

5. Massachusetts

8.60 percent

6. Hawaii

8.48 percent

7. New Hampshire

7.98 percent

8. California

7.78 percent

9. Alaska

7.71 percent

10. Virginia

7.66 percent

yep, jersey is very diverse that way. Going from neighborhood to neighborhood the atmosphere and surroundings can change quickly and dramatically.

Reactions: rgc7
I get the feeling that this board is comprised of a single person: Sybil

Last edited:
Jackie’s on Belleville Ave?

did you ever go to Kearny for Fish n Chips?

Yes but I can't remember the name of the place.

They would be lined up down the street on Friday after 4 .

Was never much of a Fish and Chip guy though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT