ADVERTISEMENT

Really Excited For The Potential of The 2019 Offensive Line

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
I'm enjoying watching the offensive line make subtle improvements each week. What I'm really looking forward to, however, is the potential the offensive line has moving forward. Particularly due to the size and skill level of some of the young players on the roster. Adjusting weights to reflect another year in the ND strength and conditioning program, I'd love to see the following group next year...

Liam Eichenberg (6'6, 315lbs) +7lbs
Josh Lugg (6'7, 320lbs) +5lbs
Robert Hainsey (6'4, 300lbs) +5lbs
Tommy Kraemer (6'5, 320lbs) +4lbs
Aaron Banks (6'6, 320lbs) +0lbs

That will be one of the best looking offensive lines in college football. I'm really hoping that they live up to their potential. They should really be able to lean on some people in 2019.

I'm enjoying watching the offensive line make subtle improvements each week. What I'm really looking forward to, however, is the potential the offensive line has moving forward. Particularly due to the size and skill level of some of the young players on the roster. Adjusting weights to reflect another year in the ND strength and conditioning program, I'd love to see the following group next year...

That will be one of the best looking offensive lines in college football. I'm really hoping that they live up to their potential. They should really be able to lean on some people in 2019.

Why do you always talk about the Irish in future years ? Why can't you enjoy and discuss the present teams ? The Irish are damn good this year and who the hell plays football a year in advance? Go Irish ! Beat Stanford !
Screw 2019 !!! 2018 rocks !

You dont think Lugg will play tackle and Banks at Guard?

Why do you always talk about the Irish in future years ? Why can't you enjoy and discuss the present teams ? The Irish are damn good this year and who the hell plays football a year in advance? Go Irish ! Beat Stanford !
Screw 2019 !!! 2018 rocks !

I can do both at once. It's not really that difficult to handle both simultaneously.

actually think kraemer can benefit greatly from dropping about 10 pounds.

Couldn’t agree more.
I’ve thought about that exact lineup and how good it could be.

However, you can overlook Ruhland.
He’s been the backup Center already, and has both practice and experience there. Not to mention that he’s good enough that he’s come into the game from Kraemer currently, due to both injury and performance reduction (likely caused by the injury)

It’s a nice problem to have when you have 6 really good OLs, all with experience and a decent number of years in the program, competing for starting spots.

Plus.....basically everyone else returns on offense as well!!

actually think kraemer can benefit greatly from dropping about 10 pounds.
Yeah, he's struggled mightily to pull. I think part of the reason the line looked so great against Wake was ruhland's ability to pull.

I sure hope Banks can beat out Hainsey. Banks looked awful vs Vanderbilt, but much better vs wake. Hainsey is so athletic but just doesn't have the size or strength to play RT.

Coaching staff has hyped up Patterson, it will be interesting to see how that pans out.

I thought dillan gibbons looked the part against Wake.

With the lineup I really think the key is someone being good enough to beat out Hainsey at RT ( we can seal the edge going left, struggle to going right), and Tommy Kraemer improving his mobility and pulling.

Liam physically looks the part and has the talent to be the next first round Olinemen. He's obviously had growing pains this year, but man he looks different than the rest. Banks looks like the typical Alabama RT.

I sure hope Banks can beat out Hainsey. Banks looked awful vs Vanderbilt, but much better vs wake. Hainsey is so athletic but just doesn't have the size or strength to play RT.

Coaching staff has hyped up Patterson, it will be interesting to see how that pans out.

With the lineup I really think the key is someone being good enough to beat out Hainsey at RT ( we can seal the edge going left, struggle to going right), and Tommy Kraemer improving his mobility and pulling.

I agree that I’d prefer someone bigger at RT, but I do think Hainsey can play the position, especially with another year to add size and strength (plus getting him healthy again)

In a perfect world I think it Hainsey would switch to Center, although I’m not sure that
Ruhland shouldn’t be the center either. Though Ruhland could also be a guard, apparently.

This is part of what’s so exciting about the line for next year though, no one defaults into a starting position, there are several options at basically every position which will drive competition (and presumably quality) plus provide depth.

It used to be that the best OL’s in CF would start with ND. ND had big big guys up front.
ND is back to that status.

Liam physically looks the part and has the talent to be the next first round Olinemen. He's obviously had growing pains this year, but man he looks different than the rest. Banks looks like the typical Alabama RT.
hainsey has great feet and thats why he's out there. the strength will come. reminds a lot of zack martin when he was just starting out. do agree with IIO that he could be great at center with his mobility. could be another mike heldt who while not the stoutest was the most fundamentally sound center i ever saw at ND.

I agree that I’d prefer someone bigger at RT, but I do think Hainsey can play the position, especially with another year to add size and strength (plus getting him healthy again)

In a perfect world I think it Hainsey would switch to Center, although I’m not sure that
Ruhland shouldn’t be the center either. Though Ruhland could also be a guard, apparently.

This is part of what’s so exciting about the line for next year though, no one defaults into a starting position, there are several options at basically every position which will drive competition (and presumably quality) plus provide depth.
coaches have said hainsey really struggles to keep weight on. To me that's a sign we're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole if we want a big strong RT. It's like Okwara at DE, he's not going to be playing at 265lbs any time soon so stop trying to force it and work with what his body allows.

coaches have said hainsey really struggles to keep weight on. To me that's a sign we're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole if we want a big strong RT. It's like Okwara at DE, he's not going to be playing at 265lbs any time soon so stop trying to force it and work with what his body allows.

Not sure I agree there.

Added size/strength is something we’ll want from him no matter where he plays, and he’s a potential NFL talent....so we’ll want him to play.

Like Okwara, I think you have to work with him on it at all times, but keep using him while you work on it.

Though I’m not 100% sure that RT is the best position for Hainsey (he could be a Center) though RT still may be.

But again, that’s why I love all that competition and depth of talent. No defaulting into positions.

Not sure I agree there.

Added size/strength is something we’ll want from him no matter where he plays, and he’s a potential NFL talent....so we’ll want him to play.

Like Okwara, I think you have to work with him on it at all times, but keep using him while you work on it.

Though I’m not 100% sure that RT is the best position for Hainsey (he could be a Center) though RT still may be.

But again, that’s why I love all that competition and depth of talent. No defaulting into positions.
You absolutely have to work with them, and it sounds like they are. It seems like they're working hard just to maintain weight let alone add weight. Obviously you can stay the same weight and get stronger and better body mass. I think that is what Julian has done and hainsey will continue to do.

My point is unless Hainsey has the strength to hold up (hasn't shown that) being undersized, i'm hoping we have a better option at RT next year and we can have him at center with Ruhland being the first off the bench for center/guard.

You absolutely have to work with them, and it sounds like they are. It seems like they're working hard just to maintain weight let alone add weight. Obviously you can stay the same weight and get stronger and better body mass. I think that is what Julian has done and hainsey will continue to do.

My point is unless Hainsey has the strength to hold up (hasn't shown that) being undersized, i'm hoping we have a better option at RT next year and we can have him at center with Ruhland being the first off the bench for center/guard.

We agree somewhat, you’re just another degree further than me in your concern about Hainsey and you seem a degree less excited about Ruhland.

It will be great to see how these guys continue to develop, plus Lugg & Banks, and the young guys were not even talking about here (Patterson, Dirksen, Gibbons, etc)

Love the depth, talent, and variety being built on the OL..... and we should have especially great experience and front line talent for 2019.

We agree somewhat, you’re just another degree further than me in your concern about Hainsey and you seem a degree less excited about Ruhland.

It will be great to see how these guys continue to develop, plus Lugg & Banks, and the young guys were not even talking about here (Patterson, Dirksen, Gibbons, etc)

Love the depth, talent, and variety being built on the OL..... and we should have especially great experience and front line talent for 2019.
Ruhland did awesome, honestly if kraemer doesn't get his health and mobility together i'd like to see him play more there this season. Kraemer can move bodies, but he's late on pulls and clogs the hole.

I just feel that Hainsey is our most athletic Olinemen but has been abused a good bit at RT, getting better with health but we'll see the next two weeks.

Sam is such a smart center with checks and leadership, but honestly, he's our least talented olinement starting in the last 5 years by far. Unbelievably slow.

Ruhland did awesome, honestly if kraemer doesn't get his health and mobility together i'd like to see him play more there this season. Kraemer can move bodies, but he's late on pulls and clogs the hole.

I just feel that Hainsey is our most athletic Olinemen but has been abused a good bit at RT, getting better with health but we'll see the next two weeks.

Sam is such a smart center with checks and leadership, but honestly, he's our least talented olinement starting in the last 5 years by far. Unbelievably slow.

It’s great to be able to say that a future NFL Draft Pick is our least talented player, and be able to work between guys like Hainsey, Ruhland, Kraemer, Lugg, and Banks.

Before Kelly, each one of those guys would already be our best OL.... and we wouldn’t have anyone like Bars/Mustipher at all (and don’t even mention our numerous 1st Rounders)

The 2019 OL has the chance to be really, really good from the jump...and future OLs look well stocked and stable too

Reactions: IrishMike409
And next year's QB?

In a perfect world next year, my functional depth chart would look as follows...

QB: Ian Book
2. Phil Jurkovec

RB: Jafar Armstrong
2. Tony Jones Jr

WR: Miles Boykin (5th year)
2. Kevin Austin

WR: Chase Claypool
2. Kevin Austin

SLOT: Chris Finke
2. Michael Young

TE: Cole Kmet
2. Brock Wright

LT: Liam Eichenberg
2. Jarrett Patterson

LG: Josh Lugg
2.Trevor Ruhland (5th year)

C: Robert Hainsey
2. Trevor Ruhland (5th year)

RG: Tommy Kraemer

RT: Aaron Banks
2. Jarrett Patterson

Contributors that are "next up"...

OT / OG: Dillan Gibbons
OT / OG: John Dirksen
TE: Tommy Tremble
WR: Joe Wilkins
RB: Jahmir Smith

Note: I don't think Aliz'e Mack will return for a 5th year, despite being eligible for one. That's why I have omitted him in this case.

Last edited:
Love it, hope Kevin overtakes Miles next year. Not because I think Miles is bad, but I think Kevin has unreal potential, and him overtaking miles would only be a good thing.

Love it, hope Kevin overtakes Miles next year. Not because I think Miles is bad, but I think Kevin has unreal potential, and him overtaking miles would only be a good thing.

I think the three of them will play a ton, regardless. 60-70 snaps per game... 120-140 snaps, they could get 45+ each. That's plenty for them all to make an impact on the game. That's why it's imparative that at least 2 of them know both spots, so they can mix and match.

Great thread. Thanks for posting. This is the kind of stuff we should be talking daily.

In a perfect world next year, my functional depth chart would look as follows...

QB: Ian Book
2. Phil Jurkovec

RB: Jafar Armstrong
2. Tony Jones Jr

WR: Miles Boykin (5th year)
2. Kevin Austin

WR: Chase Claypool
2. Kevin Austin

SLOT: Chris Finke
2. Michael Young

TE: Cole Kmet
2. Brock Wright

LT: Liam Eichenberg
2. Jarrett Patterson

LG: Josh Lugg
2.Trevor Ruhland (5th year)

C: Robert Hainsey

RG: Tommy Kraemer

RT: Aaron Banks
2. Jarrett Patterson

Contributors that are "next up"...

OT / OG: Dillan Gibbons
OT / OG: John Dirksen
TE: Tommy Tremble
WR: Joe Wilkins
RB: Jahmir Smith

Note: I don't think Aliz'e Mack will return for a 5th year, despite being eligible for one. That's why I have omitted him in this case.
So you assume Wimbush transfers?

I think the three of them will play a ton, regardless. 60-70 snaps per game... 120-140 snaps, they could get 45+ each. That's plenty for them all to make an impact on the game. That's why it's imparative that at least 2 of them know both spots, so they can mix and match.
agree, but when the going gets tough and the crucial plays are needed, the cream rises to the top.

The more WRs the coaching staff is confident in allows for more dynamic down field offense. If you only have 2 good WRs coaches don't want to have them running deep a ton to wear them out. Keep rotating the WRs and wearing out the D. That has been a weakness of NDs. On paper we have a lot of talent at WR but playing time in other years says otherwise. Right now it looks like the coaches are confident in 5 WRs, that's a few more than years past, and should help out our production late in games.

Lots of concerns when Harry left, and these were multiplied when Kelly tapped Quinn for OL coach over a few really qualified and interested OL coaches. Quinn has done an excellent job recruiting thus far, and recruits sing his praises, etc... but interested in reading assessments of how the line is performing under Quinn. I started to have major reservations after the Ball St game, but then the OL seemed to turn the corner and played like a coordinated unit against Vandy and again against WF. Was concerned from the onset that it would take several games for this unit to come together, and they seem to be peaking at the right time with Stanford on deck.

Lots of concerns when Harry left, and these were multiplied when Kelly tapped Quinn for OL coach over a few really qualified and interested OL coaches. Quinn has done an excellent job recruiting thus far, and recruits sing his praises, etc... but interested in reading assessments of how the line is performing under Quinn. I started to have major reservations after the Ball St game, but then the OL seemed to turn the corner and played like a coordinated unit against Vandy and again against WF. Was concerned from the onset that it would take several games for this unit to come together, and they seem to be peaking at the right time with Stanford on deck.
This week's game will be a good indicator as to how good the o-line. I'm hoping for at least 150 yards rushing and no more than 1 sack allowed.

This week's game will be a good indicator as to how good the o-line. I'm hoping for at least 150 yards rushing and no more than 1 sack allowed.

With our OL talent, it will hard for me to be pleased with any rushing performance below 200 yards.
Not impossible, but very tough.

We should run effectively on all but the most elite defenses, if we’re playing to our ability.

With our OL talent, it will hard for me to be pleased with any rushing performance below 200 yards.
Not impossible, but very tough.

We should run effectively on all but the most elite defenses, if we’re playing to our ability.
Wake's coach clawson made a comment before we played Wake that caught me off guard (in a good way) and gave me much more confidence in the game. He was asked about Nd's oline vs BC's oline, and i'm paraphrasing but he said "BC has a very good line, and we struggled to get pressure but did ok against the run at times. ND's oline is on a completely different level, this is going to be an unbelievable challenge for our guys going against that line"

How much he singled out our oline shocked me with how poor it played at times vs ball state and a some UM. Hopefully the trend continues upward.

Reactions: FriedmanIP

It will be at least 2 yrs before the HH effect wears off, as Davie's teams looked sort of like St Lou's until 99

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT