ADVERTISEMENT

RBs available for V-Tech

ND32FAN

Irish Guard
Jun 22, 2007
Which backs are available this week. Do you think Dexter can stay in for a whole game?

Dexter Williams= Full Go. Will be the starter.
Tony Jones= Felt better than Kelly expected him to. He'll be available, although banged up.
Avery Davis= Full Go.
Jahmir Smith= Full Go. Will get extra work to prepare this week.
C'Bo Flemister= Full Go. Called up from the scout team this week for depth.

Reactions: Kelso86
I also think we will see some "interesting" alternative formations, lots of slip screens, etc., both in the game plan and as back-up in case Jones can't go and BK/Chip don't feel comfortable with the freshmen.

I believe Kelly said he was a going to practice full speed on it at today’s presser.

I think Kelly is probably downplaying Tony's ankle a little bit, but he'll play through it. Still injured, but probably a sprain fairly low in the ankle and not overly severe. Here is to hoping that they run him hard today, he doesn't aggravate it and then they basically let him sit out until Saturday. If ND can get 6-8 good carries out of him on Saturday, and more importantly, have him in to pass block in some key situations, that's ideal. 15 Carries for Williams, 6-8 for Jones, 6-8 for Book and maybe 5-10 carries for a combination of Davis and Smith sounds about right to me... Jeez if only one of those two knuckleheads hadn't got kicked off the team in the off season, they'd see a lot of action on Saturday as Dex's backup.

Reactions: BGI User 1596
don't be surprised if long has a trick or 2 up his sleeve with BW in a wildcat look . Just to take some pressure off DEX. Do not see Jones playing much . Davis ? Not a fan at all at RB. The frosh ? in this environment ? watch BW give us a little lift in the run game.

Reactions: Kelso86
I like Avery Davis's skill set, but he's not a running back. He belongs in the slot. This may be a case of him playing there because we're short handed, but the coaches cannot possibly be missing the obvious fit at slot receiver.

And if there was ever a time to put Wimbush in the game for a surprise change-up at running back - it's this week. Bud Foster might collapse right there on the sideline. He's already is preparing for an explosive offense, now add Wimbush into the mix. On the field the same time as Book - Holy shit!!

Tell me this doesn't open up a whole new set of worries for a defense.

BK said Jones is good to go.

So you will have the same RB group you had against Stanford.
(Williams, Jones, Davis, Smith)

BK said Jones is good to go.

So you will have the same RB group you had against Stanford.
(Williams, Jones, Davis, Smith)

There is a difference between "good to go" and healthy. Jones will play out of necessity. Let's hope he's able to work through it a little better than last year, when it was a high sprain.

don't be surprised if long has a trick or 2 up his sleeve with BW in a wildcat look . Just to take some pressure off DEX. Do not see Jones playing much . Davis ? Not a fan at all at RB. The frosh ? in this environment ? watch BW give us a little lift in the run game.

Would not be surprised.

But then maybe they are keeping Wimbush out so he doesn't use up a year of eligibility and is able to transfer and have two years left.

There is a difference between "good to go" and healthy. Jones will play out of necessity. Let's hope he's able to work through it a little better than last year, when it was a high sprain.

I’m just hoping he can play in the two RB sets that will give VT something to worry about.
I think Bud Foster will be careful to run exotic blitzes if Jones & Davis are in the game & then split wide. And hopefully he can pick up the blitzes.

Last year it seemed like he hurt it, was out for a week or two, came back, hurt it again, & was never close to being healthy. This year they said he was practicing already on Tuesday, which sounds like it can’t be as bad as last years?

If you're a starter or someone who plays a significant amount, being "healthy" becomes a luxury at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT