ADVERTISEMENT

QB play

clover3ND

Shakes Down The Thunder
Aug 9, 2008
I never post negative comments, but this has to be the worst QB play I have seen EVER at ND. The lack of preparation (and for that matter play calling) is solely on Tommy. I am not worried about the defense. They'll be fine... but if the offense isn't revamped in a hurry, it's going to get really bad really quick.

Its more than bad QB play and play calling.

We have a coach that is now 0-3. and blew leads in all three games.

Reactions: rgc7
Wimbush was pretty bad. The fact we have no running game to fall back on makes it seem a lot worse.

Reactions: Kelso86
I think you can safely argue that if ND has an offense with a pulse, they would be 2-0 right now. The defense has some things they need to iron out, but they held Ohio State (who will avg 45+ ppg this year) to 21, and Marshall (who put up 55 last week) to 19. Put together a decent offensive game plan, and ND is now 2-0 and Freeman is the second coming in everyone's mind.

The offense is certainly a big part of the problem. I’m not an expert by any means, but I don’t understand why they run the same sideline routes the entire game. There isn’t much variety and it caused 3 picks because the defense knew it was coming. Stretch the field earlier in the game and run some damn slants.

Hindsight though, easy to nitpick in retrospect. Just hope things improve quickly. The talent there is just fine currently.

I would have to rewatch it but it seemed like they were right before half and late, for the most part. Just disappointed overall. That was an awful game plan and effort.

One bounced off Lenzys helmet, the other his hands, Lo dropped one late. May be in the minority here, but think TB looks the part after two first starts and excited to see him grow

Reactions: Irish_Mutt
I think you can safely argue that if ND has an offense with a pulse, they would be 2-0 right now. The defense has some things they need to iron out, but they held Ohio State (who will avg 45+ ppg this year) to 21, and Marshall (who put up 55 last week) to 19. Put together a decent offensive game plan, and ND is now 2-0 and Freeman is the second coming in everyone's mind.
But they don’t have an offense. QB play is awful. Can’t run, can’t throw and can’t block. There’s no getting around it. Yes the defense did ok. But they got pushed around a lot today.

I never post negative comments, but this has to be the worst QB play I have seen EVER at ND. The lack of preparation (and for that matter play calling) is solely on Tommy. I am not worried about the defense. They'll be fine... but if the offense isn't revamped in a hurry, it's going to get really bad really quick.
It's like the BVG year, but on the offensive side of the ball. Just brutal.

Its more than bad QB play and play calling.

We have a coach that is now 0-3. and blew leads in all three games.
NOT TRUE

The defense is largely responsible for the Oklahoma State loss.

Let‘s not forget that 90 % through the first half of the Oklahoma State game most were praising TR to the roof tops.

The games are won in the trenches !

But they don’t have an offense. QB play is awful. Can’t run, can’t throw and can’t block. There’s no getting around it. Yes the defense did ok. But they got pushed around a lot today.
Running the ball and blocking are not the responsibility of the QB

One bounced off Lenzys helmet, the other his hands, Lo dropped one late. May be in the minority here, but think TB looks the part after two first starts and excited to see him grow
Agree !

The OLINE is the problem !

It’s tough, both you and Kelso are right. If you rewatch the game or the deep passes, Tyler makes some very poor throws, no air under the ball, behind, etc. early in the game and later he makes a few nice throws but they’re dropped.

Let’s be honest, minus Mayer, and maybe Styles, this offense is shit. Lenny is a HUGE disappointment IMO. I remember laughing when people were saying he was going to be like Will Fuller. Maybe body comparison, but Will had awesome hands and ran great routes.

The OL is shit, the WR corps is shit, and the QB’s, well, shit…

Sarks offense looked unstoppable with ewers and pedestrian with card.

Clemsons offenses struggled with Bryant pre Lawrence and DJU post Lawrence.
What happened to LSU after Joe burrow.

jimbo can’t fix the QB situation at A and M and they struggle because of it.

Buchner is horrendous. Pyne is horrendous.

Until someone elite man’s that spot CFP losses are the ceiling.

the thing is, anyone paying attention knew, heading into the season TB was the most questionable QB has had in many many years. The kid had not played high level football, ever! Inthe last 2+ years he had not played almost al all!
Prior to that he was clearly exposed at the Elite 11.
ND fans had him in HT discussions., Get a proven OC and then recruit a QB.

Reactions: rgc7 and NDinNJ
Passes were not accurate. I like TB but shocked he can't pass downfield.
He's a thrower not a passer. Big difference and it shows in the inconsistency in accuracy. The missed wide open receivers and just a godawful throw on the pick 6. That ball always has to be to the sideline shoulder. Absolute disaster when the throw goes inside. As bad as they played they win if not for a couple of missed easy throws and if Lifau doesn't completely blow his assignment on the 3rd down conversion by Marshall inside the 10 yard line. What the hell was he doing ? He's been another real disappointment. I'm ready to see Kiser and the young guys. Sit Bauer, Bertrand and Lifau.

He's a thrower not a passer. Big difference and it shows in the inconsistency in accuracy. The missed wide open receivers and just a godawful throw on the pick 6. That ball always has to be to the sideline shoulder. Absolute disaster when the throw goes inside. As bad as they played they win if not for a couple of missed easy throws and if Lifau doesn't completely blow his assignment on the 3rd down conversion by Marshall inside the 10 yard line. What the hell was he doing ? He's been another real disappointment. I'm ready to see Kiser and the young guys. Sit Bauer, Bertrand and Lifau.
Im pretty sure that was on Henderson. Henderson started running with him then stopped, thinking it was a run play then went back for him again but was late. You see Henderson run with him right when he starts moving so pretty sure it’s on Henderson. Coaches also lit Henderson up after that play and pulled him. By lit up I mean freeman didn’t light anyone up and just had a disgust look. But he was pulled.

The vaunted defense gave up game winning/clinching 95 yard drives in the fourth QTR of both games. They also got pushed around by Marshall. You're not worried? Hell I am.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Im pretty sure that was on Henderson. Henderson started running with him then stopped, thinking it was a run play then went back for him again but was late. You see Henderson run with him right when he starts moving so pretty sure it’s on Henderson. Coaches also lit Henderson up after that play and pulled him. By lit up I mean freeman didn’t light anyone up and just had a disgust look. But he was pulled.
Oh no. Watch it. Lifau is running parallel to the tight end then abruptly turns and runs to the middle. For what reason ?

TB's a true sophomore who's career is just starting. He has all the talent to be a very good and prolific passer. But it looks like Buchner is going to settle in as the pretty serious whipping boy for ND fans, who are now going to have to deal with an actually shitty team, as opposed to the top five, elite program we were under BK, with a very high-functioning offense with of course, Ian Book, and then Jack Coan, who nevertheless was railed about as if they totally sucked...

But we do have a shitty QB on the roster, who really flat out seems like he doesn't belong at this level, and would be a drag on any offense, and that's Drew Pyne. If he was our starting QB, then it'd be like, okay he really does suck, and you guys can pull every last hair out of your head.

But not Buchner, he's a total talent. And I would submit that if we had a hired a different OC nine months ago, which would have had a fundamentally transformative effect on the offense, that everything could be totally different right now. Not that we would be the #1 offense in the country, but the complexion and the basic level of competence could be completely different. And that goes for HH too. The guys's an over the hill retread.

The bottom line being that if only we could swap out Buchner for Trevor Lawrence, that everything would be rolling right now is effin' stupid. But people are going to be saying a lot of stupid shit about ND football for a long time to come......

I was in TBs corner, but no more, he can't throw downfield

Oh no. Watch it. Lifau is running parallel to the tight end then abruptly turns and runs to the middle. For what reason ?
I see the same from Henderson… clearly neither knew what they were doing on 3rd and 11 with game on line … two weeks in a row 3rd and 11 and we have no clue what play we are running

TB's a true sophomore who's career is just starting. He has all the talent to be a very good and prolific passer. But it looks like Buchner is going to settle in as the pretty serious whipping boy for ND fans, who are now going to have to deal with an actually shitty team, as opposed to the top five, elite program we were under BK, with a very high-functioning offense with of course, Ian Book, and then Jack Coan, who nevertheless was railed about as if they totally sucked...

But we do have a shitty QB on the roster, who really flat out seems like he doesn't belong at this level, and would be a drag on any offense, and that's Drew Pyne. If he was our starting QB, then it'd be like, okay he really does suck, and you guys can pull every last hair out of your head.

But not Buchner, he's a total talent. And I would submit that if we had a hired a different OC nine months ago, which would have had a fundamentally transformative effect on the offense, that everything could be totally different right now. Not that we would be the #1 offense in the country, but the complexion and the basic level of competence could be completely different. And that goes for HH too. The guys's an over the hill retread.

The bottom line being that if only we could swap out Buchner for Trevor Lawrence, that everything would be rolling right now is effin' stupid. But people are going to be saying a lot of stupid shit about ND football for a long time to come......
if it wasn’t for stupid shit, we would just have shit, then where would we be! wallowing in our own shit?

Yes and no, running is more successful when you make a defense pay for loading the box by completing wide open deep balls. That is on the QB
NOT when he’s on his back or pressured to throw early.

Cite the plays where the WR was wide open deep.
Use the quarter and the game clock.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Say what you will about Kelly, and his track record with QBs.

If Tyler had shown at any point that he could be the real deal last season Brian Kelly would still be NDs head coach.

NOT when he’s on his back or pressured to throw early.

Cite the plays where the WR was wide open deep.
Use the quarter and the game clock.
2nd to last play of the first half. Receiver wide open down the seam for what should have been a easy TD

ND did not recruit TB because he was an Elite 11
Elite 11 recruited TB because he was a ND commit.
His showing at that event was prophetic.

Miller Moss will probably be in the portal in December. As will Pine. If I were ND I would go after him and then have a QB competition in Spring and summer

Miller Moss will probably be in the portal in December. As will Pine. If I were ND I would go after him and then have a QB competition in Spring and summer
If I were ND I would switch to Angeli right now. Clearly this team is not good, and there will be more losses, so get the young guys in there

I will say, if this season completely implodes, and it looks like it very well could, it will be a joy to watch ND fans just wallow in their own madness.

START ANGELI!!! START ANGELI!!!

And it couldn't happen to a more deserving fanbase. Like I said, 0-12 is not good enough for this fanbase, as far as karma goes. But there's still a chance that this is all a mirage, and ND will rally, pull themelves together, things will start to click and we'll beat Cal next, and we'll end up going 8-4 or 7-5, if we're really on our game 9-3.... and not the 5-7/4-8 or worse that it absolutely looks like we could be headed for....

Either way you can expect the Tyler Buchner bashing to begin in earnest....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT