ADVERTISEMENT

Portal

NDblitz

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Dec 15, 2021
Looking at the portal any chance ND goes after one of the wideouts from Texas or maybe the ASU guy? Or is that a crapshoot?

Looks like Jordan Addison just entered the portal. Our name wasn't among the favorites in the article I read, but I certainly hope we pursue him. He had an Irish offer back in 2019.

Looks like Jordan Addison just entered the portal. Our name wasn't among the favorites in the article I read, but I certainly hope we pursue him. He had an Irish offer back in 2019.
Right now, USC is the favorite closely followed by Bama. However, momentum has been moving slightly way from us (SC).

If I had to put money on it, I would pick Bama.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelso86
Addison chose USC. It is great to get the nation best receiver, but it brings our WR room from an A to and A+. This is why prediction of SC winning 10 or more games are crazy. People are looking at athletes rather than the need they fill. Addison is a furure first round draft pick. Conerly, who chose Oregon over us, probably isn't. But Conerly would have made more of a difference.

Reactions: mbd11 and d1042
the starters on the OL look solid, any injuries and there may be no plan B. The kid fromVa.better be healthy. SCwill likely add 2 more OL. Then they need a bone crusher interior DL. SC will probably only need 4 stops per game to win; with that offense.

the starters on the OL look solid, any injuries and there may be no plan B. The kid fromVa.better be healthy. SCwill likely add 2 more OL. Then they need a bone crusher interior DL. SC will probably only need 4 stops per game to win; with that offense.
You are right about the O-line, better than expected. D backs and LBs are solid too. the problem is the D-line is garbage. Teams with strong lines like ND will chew us up. Still, should be good enough for 8-9 wins, a big change from last year.

If my count is right we have four slots left. Addison did move us up to the sixth ranked recruiting class for 2022, but what I would trade for a couple of d-linemen.

You are right about the O-line, better than expected. D backs and LBs are solid too. the problem is the D-line is garbage. Teams with strong lines like ND will chew us up. Still, should be good enough for 8-9 wins, a big change from last year.

If my count is right we have four slots left. Addison did move us up to the sixth ranked recruiting class for 2022, but what I would trade for a couple of d-linemen.
Lol

Well, CLR will have as many spots as he needs; DL edge looks ok as Rushers but against the run is a guess. DT’s, 1 proven top player and a bunch of question marks. The SC defense fortunes will depend upon the other teams offenses making a couple mistakes at some point in a game. If SC’s offense gets ahead, they will be very hard to catch.

Well, CLR will have as many spots as he needs; DL edge looks ok as Rushers but against the run is a guess. DT’s, 1 proven top player and a bunch of question marks. The SC defense fortunes will depend upon the other teams offenses making a couple mistakes at some point in a game. If SC’s offense gets ahead, they will be very hard to catch.
Good stuff. Teams like Utah and ND will keep that offense off the field. The NCAA removed the 25 ride limitation but not the 85 total. We are at 81 if I counted correctly.

truth is most teams, including ND cannot lose a top 2-3 linemen on either side of the ball and not struggle. Ex. If Fisher goes down again the ND OL does not look as imposing. Still good but the dominance factor is way down. As example.

truth is most teams, including ND cannot lose a top 2-3 linemen on either side of the ball and not struggle. Ex. If Fisher goes down again the ND OL does not look as imposing. Still good but the dominance factor is way down. As example.
You would know that better than I, but your line seems pretty deep.

Last edited:
You would no that better than I, but your line seems pretty deep.
deep yes, but elite players are not easy to replace

looks like you guys may have the best CF offense since the days of Oklahoma (Mildren and Pruitt) and do it with Ok. players and coaches! (if the OL holds up)

Addison to usc is so bad for football how it happened… 100% tampering

boosters contacting him before in portal

Also have to take into consideration the learning curve for players with new staff. There will likely be a couple of games where struggles could cost them when otherwise they are more talented.

Also have to take into consideration the learning curve for players with new staff. There will likely be a couple of games where struggles could cost them when otherwise they are more talented.
new? well, for holdovers it is the 1st time they had an actual staff
if Helton’s staff was the UGA staff last season: 3-9

deep yes, but elite players are not easy to replace

looks like you guys may have the best CF offense since the days of Oklahoma (Mildren and Pruitt) and do it with Ok. players and coaches! (if the OL holds up)
No

Addison to usc is so bad for football how it happened… 100% tampering

boosters contacting him before in portal
No one from the school contacted JA before he entered the portal. Players like JA's good friend Caleb are allowed to. So are NIL peddlers

Last edited:
Reactions: echowaker
No one from the school contacted JA before he entered the portal. Players like JA's good friend Caleb are allowed to. So are NIL peddlers
yea, all that was, wasnoise by Narduzzi. There isn’t a team in the country that hasn’t and nor won’t lose players under the current rules, even ND.

Riley may slime his way around it but school affiliated individuals contacted him with deals… they may not be on school payroll

Riley may slime his way around it but school affiliated individuals contacted him with deals… they may not be on school payroll
please provide the factual evidence for your claim. (ND poached BK from UC; and BK was such a college football philanthropist) And as ND fans are set to encourage ND to poach a kid from IU?

Reactions: echowaker
yep; ND fans were happy when USC was a Helton team. Riley came in and saw a serious talent deficiency.

He could try to rebuild (using available resources)
or
he could try to placate ND fans and just go with Helton’s lesser talented football players

If Riley lands 1 more impact OL and 1 more quality interior DL; you will really have something to cry about.

please provide the factual evidence for your claim. (ND poached BK from UC; and BK was such a college football philanthropist) And as ND fans are set to encourage ND to poach a kid from IU?
Before he hit the portal, he had a $3M dollar offer from USC boosters who were contacting him non stop, including Riley having players contact him. Maybe it's not obviously illegal, but they're doing everything they can to slide around the rules or stay just on the edge to hopefully not get a penalty. NCAA could challenge this and win, but they aren't going to because they would have to challenge so many and pay so much money in legal fees.

There are a ton of articles on it. Narduzzi said it as well and confronted usc/ncaa/riley.

yep; ND fans were happy when USC was a Helton team. Riley came in and saw a serious talent deficiency.

He could try to rebuild (using available resources)
or
he could try to placate ND fans and just go with Helton’s lesser talented football players

If Riley lands 1 more impact OL and 1 more quality interior DL; you will really have something to cry about.
Putting together 1 year teams IMHO is a good way to get better but not a good way to win a championship. It's a gap bridge. One that is Shady beyond belief the way riley is doing it and the NCAA is too much of a you know what to put a stop to it.

USC will be able to out talent teams, but they will still lack depth and complete chemistry that will catch up in a few games.

Reactions: IrishMike409
🙄🙄🙄🙄
This is hard to understand. It is true. It is true that SC has taken 18 from the portal and ND only three, but why is this wrong? Why would a tea support be upset of hate the team because thy added Caleb Williams, Nario William, Jordan Addison (last year's Blietnikoff winner) to their lineup?

Putting together 1 year teams IMHO is a good way to get better but not a good way to win a championship. It's a gap bridge. One that is Shady beyond belief the way riley is doing it and the NCAA is too much of a you know what to put a stop to it.

USC will be able to out talent teams, but they will still lack depth and complete chemistry that will catch up in a few games.
Why is USC a one-year team? SC had 16 players leave from various classes and added 18 from various classes. Caleb and Mario for example are sophomores.

What did Riley do that was shady?

Reactions: d1042

chemistry seems to be a non factor since thisis the 1st time most SC kids have had a coach and about 1/2 thenewcomers have experience to fall back on. Once the whistle blows they will all be teammate.

chemistry seems to be a non factor since thisis the 1st time most SC kids have had a coach and about 1/2 thenewcomers have experience to fall back on. Once the whistle blows they will all be teammate.
Practice will be hard since everyone is new to the system and there will be no one with experience on the team to help. But when Riley took the team the class was ranked 125. It is now ranked sixth. Hard to see how he could have done any better.

Practice will be hard since everyone is new to the system and there will be no one with experience on the team to help. But when Riley took the team the class was ranked 125. It is now ranked sixth. Hard to see how he could have done any better.
Helton should return the $ he essentially stole the last 5 years.; Riley must have been shocked when he evaluated the roster. Look where the SC portal players would up.

Why is USC a one-year team? SC had 16 players leave from various classes and added 18 from various classes. Caleb and Mario for example are sophomores.

What did Riley do that was shady?
Addison is a 1 year guy and I believe the taxkle is a well. Plus if the transfers don't play, do they just transfer out again. If non transfers are unhappy m, do they just up and transfer. Then you have to build your team year to year.

That is a poor plan on building a cohesive team. How do you build a culture and leadership with so much in and out. That part will be difficult. Team chemistry is a real thing

This is hard to understand. It is true. It is true that SC has taken 18 from the portal and ND only three, but why is this wrong? Why would a tea support be upset of hate the team because thy added Caleb Williams, Nario William, Jordan Addison (last year's Blietnikoff winner) to their lineup?
Its not wrong. But SC is having people reach out to these kids while they are with another school. Don't know if it was illegal, but it's unethical. So there will be backlash when you try to go the sleazy way. For all the bad as a coach Helton was, didnt he clean up the program from a sketchy past. There should be some middle ground there with SC. LR seems like a snake from the outside

Its not wrong. But SC is having people reach out to these kids while they are with another school. Don't know if it was illegal, but it's unethical. So there will be backlash when you try to go the sleazy way. For all the bad as a coach Helton was, didnt he clean up the program from a sketchy past. There should be some middle ground there with SC. LR seems like a snake from the outside
sour grapes; and worse you’re making Sh£t up!.

Who did SC have "reach out" to whom?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT