ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff scenarios

scubastevefl

I've posted how many times?
Dec 9, 2006
win and your in. ND controls their own destiny, if they win out there is a 99% chance they are playoff bound.
ND’s schedule is softening a bit which might be a cause for concern if there is a glut of undefeated teams such as...

Alabama or Georgia
Clemson
Ohio State
West Virginia—only big 12 undefeated
Colorado—only pac 12 undefeated
Notre Dame

But that scenario of having to choose from more than 4 undefeated teams in power 5 conferences has yet to play out and extremely unlikely.

I don't see WVU making it through the entire 12 undefeated, but if they do it will be a tight call between them and Notre Dame. Even an undefeated Colorado loses out to an undefeated Notre Dame, no way they'd get in. If the others stay undefeated I think they narrowly beat out an undefeated ND. Obviously either bama or Georgia will have one loss, if it's Alabama they absolutely are still in the top 4. Georgia is a tough call. I think an undefeated Notre Dame squeeZes in past them but I wouldn't be at all surprised if a one loss team get in ahead of them. It will be close.

An undefeated ND team gets in
Or they change the playoff system.
They bring eyeballs, tradition and money to football.

both Ala and UGA cannot make playoff if ND is in.

Best guess is
SEC
ACC
tOSU
ND

The fact of matter is the team with the easiest and clearest path to the playoffs is actually ND.
The question really becomes who are the other 3 teams.

both Ala and UGA cannot make playoff if ND is in.

Best guess is
SEC
ACC
tOSU
ND

The fact of matter is the team with the easiest and clearest path to the playoffs is actually ND.
The question really becomes who are the other 3 teams.
Exactly right.

ND wins out and they are in, but an 11-1 ND team plays in the group right below the final four. They join the 1964, 1967, 1970, 1989, and 1993 close but no cigar ND teams. It's always better to lose early than late in the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT