ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff hopes are still alive for the Irish !

Each year, ND has played the eventual champ first....yes, they lost badly....but so did the others.

There is enough room left in the schedule with conf schedules just starting and conf championships for ND to sneak in.....a 2 loss bama team is not going ahead of a 1 loss anybody.....

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
Even at 11-1, the schedule is so weak I believe there could be several 2 loss teams ahead of Notre Dame.

Maybe Virginia can get ranked, but doubtful, leaving the remaining schedule filled with tomato cans.

A great opportunity to extend the streak vs unranked teams! Will Notre Dame build a statue for that?
Wisconsin is our "Huckleberry". They are turning it on now just like ND is doing.
They just blew out Illinois (who beat Penn State) and Purdue (who easily beat Iowa) and are favored to beat Iowa this weekend and will be favored to win out the rest of the season---so they will finish being ranked around #16. And the committe will see Wisky as a great win for the Irish as they are a perrenial big ten power. We also beat them worse than Michigan did---this will be in the mind of the voters. When Wisky beats Iowa this Sat---we will move into the top ten. Things are happening quickly and if we keep winning like we did against USC we are will be in the thick of it.
Holding USC to 16 points is a big deal to the committee. They don't look just at wins and losses.

*** The playoff voters place a big deal on how a team develops as the season goes on--and losing early is far better than losing late. Our Oline and running game and GREAT defense and the quick passing game of Jack Coan and the change of pace lightning in Tyler Buchner makes us a very DANGEROUS team !!!
We are ND !!!

Reactions: sluggo69
Bodi, you need to be Kelly's press agent. After we beat UNC (Go Irish!) star pounding the message that this is a different ND team that started the season with:

A brand new o-line
A brand new QB
A brand new D-coordinator and system

We trounced a good Wisconsin team, we gave the game to (three turnovers) the #2 ranked team, we beat up-and-comers like Florida State and beat USC, etc...

But first, we have to keep winning!!!

Last edited:
  • Love
The last thing we need is a team that most of us realize is not playoff caliber to squeak into the playoffs and get ripped by Georgia again.

Imagine that dl against our ol.

Not pretty.

It’s not happening this year and that’s ok. What I don’t understand is ND fans claiming they would prefer playing a NY6 bowl game regardless. As if that guarantees a win.

It’s not happening this year and that’s ok. What I don’t understand is ND fans claiming they would prefer playing a NY6 bowl game regardless. As if that guarantees a win.
So you say. Do you mind, is it okay with you, maybe I could bother you to drop the condescending tone....

ND is by no means out of it! What does it say about how toxic a fanbase has become, when even alums are arrogantly dismissing their own team's chances. For no reason at all, you're not getting paid to do it, you don't work for the media, you just want to be cool on this message board it would appear, among this crowd no less....

All ND has to do is go 11-1 and hope enough other teams lose, which is utterly possible, bordering on improbable that it won't happen. But the default to shit on ND in one form or another, is so ingrained in the bone marrow of the fans by this point, that you're the chump if you ever support the team unblinkingly

Un effin' believable. Just let the season play out. I expected more out of a varsity letterman.....

Reactions: francade
So you say. Do you mind, is it okay with you, maybe I could bother you to drop the condescending tone....

ND is by no means out of it! What does it say about how toxic a fanbase has become, when even alums are arrogantly dismissing their own team's chances. For no reason at all, you're not getting paid to do it, you don't work for the media, you just want to be cool on this message board it would appear, among this crowd no less....

All ND has to do is go 11-1 and hope enough other teams lose, which is utterly possible, bordering on improbable that it won't happen. But the default to shit on ND in one form or another, is so ingrained in the bone marrow of the fans by this point, that you're the chump if you ever support the team unblinkingly

Un effin' believable. Just let the season play out. I expected more out of a varsity letterman.....
I’m very sorry if my opinion offended you. Condescending tone intended.

In general, I agree that this fan base, like most others, is often hysterically critical. I agree with Book’s recent comments about Irish fans on message boards and social media. “ They know nothing”. It may surprise you that I am unflinchingly supportive of the team and it’s coaches specifically. I don’t feel like a chump admitting it.

My point with the prior post was simply that, at the end of this season, NDs record, IMO, will not propel them to the CFP. More significantly, that there should be no shame in that outcome. Also, significantly, if by their great effort they go 11-1, everything goes accordingly and they are afforded the opportunity to play in the CFP, I do not understand the logic of fans indicating a preference for an other NY6 bowl. Play the game you are awarded without regardless of the hysteria of the fans. After all, to quote the most winning QB in ND history, “they know nothing “

"Getting better all the time... Better... better... better!" -- John and Paul

Win and improve. This weekend will be tough one. We are a young team. I just hope:

Freeman stays another year! (That guy can friggin' recruit!)
Tyler B. is the real deal (with the arm, kid has proven he is an elite running QB.)
The O-line continues to improve.
Rees is starting to prove he can be a great OC. (Last week he called a great game!)

Playoffs: Wouldn't Cincy have to lose twice? Or if they do lose do you think we jump them? Alot of spec-u-latin' but hell, that is what being a fan is.

And for the guys who want to take a lesser bowl.

We are ND! We are not afraid to play any-f-ing-one!

Right Bodi, the omni-optimist?!

Reactions: graceh90
I’m very sorry if my opinion offended you. Condescending tone intended.

In general, I agree that this fan base, like most others, is often hysterically critical. I agree with Book’s recent comments about Irish fans on message boards and social media. “ They know nothing”. It may surprise you that I am unflinchingly supportive of the team and it’s coaches specifically. I don’t feel like a chump admitting it.

My point with the prior post was simply that, at the end of this season, NDs record, IMO, will not propel them to the CFP. More significantly, that there should be no shame in that outcome. Also, significantly, if by their great effort they go 11-1, everything goes accordingly and they are afforded the opportunity to play in the CFP, I do not understand the logic of fans indicating a preference for an other NY6 bowl. Play the game you are awarded without regardless of the hysteria of the fans. After all, to quote the most winning QB in ND history, “they know nothing “
I don't know. I assume you are too. But just for me, if no one else, resist the temptation to pander to these guys. Which is what you're doing. I don't really care how you process it to yourself, but I'm asking you as a personal favor. I'm appealing to your status as an alum. Don't take the opportunity to.... whatever, what's a good adjective, to superciliously, how about, dismiss ND's chances with the languid wave of a hand. There's just no reason to. It's unwarranted. And you're letting the haters win. It's only because of them this narrative even exists... and this irresistible impulse to dismiss ND at every turn rather than cheer for it.

So if you're too effete to do it by yourself, then you can take your cue from me. Until we lose again, assume we're going to be in until the end, as of course there's every reason to think we will. If it's any consolation, this is what fans of other teams are doing towards us. They're hoping that we lose and trip up somewhere, so if they manage to run the table maybe they will be one of the last standing....

It's how any decent fan should think. Especially for ND fans who defend their absurd levels of hypercriticism on the grounds that they crave a title so badly, and that's just why they have to be so hard on the lads. It doesn't have the ring of truth when you immediately write off the team's playoff hopes at the first toll booth.....

I always dreamed of the day that BK would get ND to where we are now. I didn't know it was going to be like this. I thought people were going to be all stoked, like they were living the dream. Nope!

Reactions: graceh90
You get better by playing against the best. I'll take it week by week.
Kelly and Notre Dame got a taste of victory against a top tier opponent when they took down the # 1 team in the nation last year.
I think with a great gameplan and Jack Coan and Tyler Buchner executing that game plan they could beat a top team this year.
We also have a GREAT football mind in Marcus Freeman who has players like Isiah Foskey and Kyle Hamilton and wave after wave of great dlineman and linebackers to create havok on any offense. That is how we could beat Georgia--by strip sacks by Foskey and ints by Hamilton to set up short fields for Coan.
And we also have Kyren Williams who is even more positive then I am. He wants a National Championship even worse than I do!!

*** This Irish team has taken alot of heat but have stayed passionate and never quit ! You reap what you sow ! And with Great spirits like Williams and Bo Bauer we can achieve anything !
And Blake Fisher will be back come playoff time and make the Oline even better.
Blake Fisher is Aaron Taylor 2.0 !

Reactions: sluggo69
Even at 11-1, the schedule is so weak I believe there could be several 2 loss teams ahead of Notre Dame.

Maybe Virginia can get ranked, but doubtful, leaving the remaining schedule filled with tomato cans.

A great opportunity to extend the streak vs unranked teams! Will Notre Dame build a statue for that?

Cinci have a good schedule? Oregon? Wake? Unless your going to put 3 SEC schools in, ND’s schedule will be higher ranked than all other power 5’s. Maybe tie with Blow10.

The last thing we need is a team that most of us realize is not playoff caliber to squeak into the playoffs and get ripped by Georgia again.

Imagine that dl against our ol.

Not pretty.
Why do you take such a wimpy position? I'll be the first to state that the playoffs are extremely remote, but that's the only sensible goal worth pursuing. The NY6 Bowls no longer mean anything. They are watered down exhibition games, with many of the best players jumping ship to avoid injury and protect themselves in the draft. Even as an underdog, you want that puncher's in the playoffs. Fortune favors the bold.

Cinci have a good schedule? Oregon? Wake? Unless your going to put 3 SEC schools in, ND’s schedule will be higher ranked than all other power 5’s. Maybe tie with Blow10.
I think our schedule is rated 6th most difficult in the Saragin rankings, which still exist, even though no one references them much anymore. You can be sure one of the haters will swoop in and loudly denounce the Saragin ratings and insist how badly we suck, our schedule is an embarrassment, blah blah blah.....

You're responding to one the board's worst haters by the way. But he's pretty easy to tune out most of the time.

Bodi, you need to be Kelly's press agent. After we beat UNC (Go Irish!) star pounding the message that this is a different ND team that started the season with:

A brand new o-line
A brand new QB
A brand new D-coordinator and system

We trounced a good Wisconsin team, we gave the game to (three turnovers) the #2 ranked team, we beat up-and-comers like Florida State and beat USC, etc...

But first, we have to keep winning!!!
We are getting there Stu. My chaos theory along with my knowledge of how much the committee loves Notre Dame (they love tradition and are mostly dreamers) is coming to fruition.
#9 Iowa goes down big time to a team we beat big time.
#11 Ole Miss goes down to a 2 loss Auburn team.
#7 Michigan loses late.
Iowa State loses Kentucky loses.
Ohio State looks beatable.

*** I am looking for Purdue to upset Michigan State this coming Saturday--Giving us double points

The Irish Oline is not only getting better they are slowly becoming dominant--and Blake Fisher should be back come playoff time.

I believe the Irish are going to reach the playoffs and win their first playoff game.

*** The press is starting to give us love. They feel like I feel---the Irish are on the rise !

I think our schedule is rated 6th most difficult in the Saragin rankings, which still exist, even though no one references them much anymore. You can be sure one of the haters will swoop in and loudly denounce the Saragin ratings and insist how badly we suck, our schedule is an embarrassment, blah blah blah.....

You're responding to one the board's worst haters by the way. But he's pretty easy to tune out most of the time.
Chaos is happening as we speak ! The Irish are going to make the playoffs !

Should move ahead of Michigan but the committee might not do what’s right. Transitive does count in November. The committee has always used that.

Should move ahead of Michigan but the committee might not do what’s right. Transitive does count in November. The committee has always used that.
And maybe Oregon too. Chaos is just getting started. The easy schedule is helping us. We wont lose and the other teams will.

In my mind and heart the hope never died and they will make the playoffs this year.

Has a 2 loss team ever gotten into the playoffs

Not true, since the playoff system was introduced in 2014 NO 2 loss team has been selected as one of the 4 playoff teams.
Never said there was. He mentioned in the bcs era. Lsu won it with 2 losses with Les Miles

LSU got to the NC game with two losses under the BCS when Saban was their coach.
If you build it, they will come... Kelly is doing what he needs to do. #3 in recruiting '22/'23! Hey X and Schrauth -- join us and get a free trip to Dublin! Guinness on Bodi!

Big Big Game today. Win this one and, like it or not, we'll be very much in the conversation for the playoff.

And I'm ALL IN if we are invited. Why? We have the goods!

A top three pick in Hamilton. (kelly says he will play when ready)
A first round pick in Foskey.
A first round pick in Mayer (he would be a first round pick this year! NFL will have to wait a year.)
Kyren is one of the best five backs in the country (first 3 round pick)
A first three round pick in Patterson.
Coan will get drafted.
Lugg will get drafted.
Austin will get drafted.

The O line gets better ever play. (With future first rounders in Alt and Blake!)
Austin is starting to play like the Austin we thought he could be.
Mayer is the best TE in college football.
Buchner is proving to be an elite weapon.
The D line is top 5.
Our LBs will have a chance to rest and recover.
Our secondary has improved and Freeman is getting them to play his way.

This Irish team could surprise and do some damage. The only team that really scares me is Georgia but Kirby is no Saban. Bring on the rest!

What a coaching job Kelly has done this year! Put it together against a good team today and get this road win.

Go Irish!

• Love
If you build it, they will come... Kelly is doing what he needs to do. #3 in recruiting '22/'23! Hey X and Schrauth -- join us and get a free trip to Dublin! Guinness on Bodi!

Big Big Game today. Win this one and, like it or not, we'll be very much in the conversation for the playoff.

A first round pick in Mayer (he would be a first round pick this year! NFL will have to wait a year.)
Coan will get drafted.
Lugg will get drafted.
Austin will get drafted.

The O line gets better ever play. (With future first rounders in Alt and Blake!)
The D line is top 5.

This Irish team could surprise and do some damage. The only team that really scares me is Georgia but Kirby is no Saban. Bring on the rest!

What a coaching job Kelly has done this year! Put it together against a good team today and get this road win.

Go Irish!
I dont see Coan or Lugg getting drafted

Hopefully Blake comes back

Not even close, I don't put a ton into the Saragin rankings, but they have our SOS 27th as of this week. If you are going to quote a source at least do some cursory search. It took me all but 10 seconds.
RATING W L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 30 | PREDICTOR | GOLDEN_MEAN | RECENT
HOME ADVANTAGE=[ 2.09] [ 2.07] [ 2.10] [ 2.07]
1 Georgia A = 97.48 9 0 72.71( 36) 0 0 | 2 0 | 96.70 1 | 97.30 1 | 99.43 1 SEC-EAST
2 Alabama A = 94.71 8 1 74.87( 15) 0 1 | 2 1 | 93.51 3 | 96.21 2 | 94.07 2 SEC-WEST
3 Ohio State A = 93.81 8 1 72.37( 40) 0 0 | 1 1 | 94.26 2 | 93.55 3 | 92.99 3 BIG TEN-E
4 Oklahoma A = 88.80 9 0 67.76( 70) 0 0 | 2 0 | 86.29 4 | 91.06 4 | 90.21 4 BIG 12
5 Michigan A = 86.70 8 1 71.57( 47) 1 0 | 1 1 | 86.18 5 | 86.36 7 | 88.28 7 BIG TEN-E
6 Oklahoma State A = 86.46 8 1 74.10( 23) 0 0 | 4 1 | 84.53 10 | 87.27 6 | 89.23 5 BIG 12
7 Texas A&M A = 86.27 7 2 72.00( 42) 1 0 | 2 0 | 85.50 8 | 86.30 8 | 87.62 9 SEC-WEST
8 Notre Dame A = 86.09 8 1 73.66( 27) 1 1 | 2 1 | 84.09 11 | 88.10 5 | 86.42 10 I-A IND.

Not even close, I don't put a ton into the Saragin rankings, but they have our SOS 27th as of this week. If you are going to quote a source at least do some cursory search. It took me all but 10 seconds.
RATING W L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 10 | VS top 30 | PREDICTOR | GOLDEN_MEAN | RECENT
HOME ADVANTAGE=[ 2.09] [ 2.07] [ 2.10] [ 2.07]
1 Georgia A = 97.48 9 0 72.71( 36) 0 0 | 2 0 | 96.70 1 | 97.30 1 | 99.43 1 SEC-EAST
2 Alabama A = 94.71 8 1 74.87( 15) 0 1 | 2 1 | 93.51 3 | 96.21 2 | 94.07 2 SEC-WEST
3 Ohio State A = 93.81 8 1 72.37( 40) 0 0 | 1 1 | 94.26 2 | 93.55 3 | 92.99 3 BIG TEN-E
4 Oklahoma A = 88.80 9 0 67.76( 70) 0 0 | 2 0 | 86.29 4 | 91.06 4 | 90.21 4 BIG 12
5 Michigan A = 86.70 8 1 71.57( 47) 1 0 | 1 1 | 86.18 5 | 86.36 7 | 88.28 7 BIG TEN-E
6 Oklahoma State A = 86.46 8 1 74.10( 23) 0 0 | 4 1 | 84.53 10 | 87.27 6 | 89.23 5 BIG 12
7 Texas A&M A = 86.27 7 2 72.00( 42) 1 0 | 2 0 | 85.50 8 | 86.30 8 | 87.62 9 SEC-WEST
8 Notre Dame A = 86.09 8 1 73.66( 27) 1 1 | 2 1 | 84.09 11 | 88.10 5 | 86.42 10 I-A IND.
That’s interesting.
Now there’s only 1 undefeated team and we’re # 3 in SOS

MIchigan or OSU will fall out of the rankings by seasons end.
And so will Alabama if they lose to Georgia.

Oklahoma or Oklahoma State will also be eliminated.

Texas A&M has 2 games that they could lose

ND has to win out to have a chance

That’s interesting.
Now there’s only 1 undefeated team and we’re # 3 in SOS

MIchigan or OSU will fall out of the rankings by seasons end.
And so will Alabama if they lose to Georgia.

Oklahoma or Oklahoma State will also be eliminated.

Texas A&M has 2 games that they could lose

ND has to win out to have a chance
I just noticed that Sagarin doesn't even have MSU in the top 10 lol. Now, where did you get the #3 SOS?

Coan will get drafted.
Lugg will get drafted.
Austin will get drafted.

The D line is top 5.

Go Irish!
Down goes Oklahoma !!! We march up one spot ! The Irish are going to go down to the wire to make the playoffs on the last day--a script right out of Hollywood !
Next week Michigan State will bite the dust ! Utah will take down Oregon ! SMU will take down Cincinnatti !! We will move up to #5 ! And Georgia will take down Alabama on the last day and we will be #4 !!!

*** The coaches are working on a game plan to take down the mighty Georgia Bull dogs as we speak !! We are due for a NC !!

OKST has to lose for us to make it into CFP
And they will. ND is in.. You will see.. And we will give Georgia all they can handle and that includes an upset.
I knew our chances were GREAT back Oct 15th after the GREAT comeback win against Vtech !

The committe does not respect the big 12. They suck.

OKST has to lose for us to make it into CFP. If that happens, we deserve to be in.
Both OK and OKST have looked worse than us this year. It’s just that conference championship game that will push them over the top.

If ND we’re still temporarily in the ACC they would be in for sure

Both OK and OKST have looked worse than us this year. It’s just that conference championship game that will push them over the top.

If ND we’re still temporarily in the ACC they would be in for sure
I think if both Oklahoma’s have 2 losses we will get in. Big OK fan now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT