ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff hopes are still alive for the Irish !

BodiTheGreat

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2018
Notre Dame is still a media darling and will be given the benefit of the doubt when the selection committee has their final meeting.
First of all the loss to Cincinatti was much like Ohio States loss to Oregon, maybe even a better loss. Ohio State knows what to do--just blow out all the weak competition like they did in 2020 and what they do after every reg season loss.

This is my plan for how the Irish can make a statement and get that 4th seed.

1. Destroy Southern Cal.
2. Destroy North Carolina.
3. Destroy Navy.
4. Destroy Virginia.
5. Destroy Georgia Tech.
6. Destroy Stanford.

^^^ Tyler Buchner and or Jack Coan have to play lights out and give "the committee" the thought of how the Irish are a much different team than the one that played the first half of the season. Or how dynamic they run a two qb system.

Why this will happen:
Improving Oline play--will open up running game which will open up the passing game.
Dominating Defense that is dialed into Marcus Freemans disruptive ways.
New explosive freshman receivers and running backs add to the already dangerous core--baby Gronk, Davis, Jones, Williams, Tyree, Lenzy.
Like Deion Colzie, Logan Diggs, Lorenzo Styles, Joe Alt, Mitchell Evans need to shine.

*** 2021 is a year of chaos in college football--so far heavyweights like Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson have losses already.

Iowa at #2 ? What a joke. They have a lousy offense and will be exposed. Oklahoma is not as good as all the preseason hype.
Every week teams ahead of ND will lose--we are only half way through this season.

Notre Dame just has to take care of their own business and play one game at a time. The rest will sort itself out.

Go Irish !
Perfect week for a bye !
Then we must put up 50 on USC and crush them !!

I think that ship has sailed, but anything is possible. I'd rather win a New Year's Day bowl than get destroyed in the playoff honestly.

Reactions: Kelso86
What sucks is this was truly our year for a shot at a NC. We knew Alabama and Clemson was going to be rebuilding. Imagine if we had Moorehead here in charge of the offense. He's averaging 430 yards a game and 37 ppg at Oregon with a lot less talent. I won't share our offensive stats. It's bad...really bad.

Reactions: christophero
Oregons offe
What sucks is this was truly our year for a shot at a NC. We knew Alabama and Clemson was going to be rebuilding. Imagine if we had Moorehead here in charge of the offense. He's averaging 430 yards a game and 37 ppg at Oregon with a lot less talent. I won't share our offensive stats. It's bad...really bad.
Oregons offense is sputtering. Joe Moorehead is a bum. They got lucky against O State and put up big numbers against Stony Brook but a lousy Stanford team
shut down Oregons O and it is all downhill for them from here on out.

*** Now that ND's oline is jelling the offense will do GREAT in the second half of the season. They actually played pretty well despite the early Oline problems.

*** Last year we beat the # 1 team and made the playoffs and you were still bitch#n and hated on Ian Book. With all due respect--you should stick to what you know well--tennis and 80's hair bands.

Reactions: irish4life88
Love your enthusiasm, would be great if it happened and if we beat the next six teams by an average of three touchdowns and more you're right we may end up sneaking into the playoffs. But the o-line has to improve, and so does the running game. Spot-on

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
Love your enthusiasm, would be great if it happened and if we beat the next six teams by an average of three touchdowns and more you're right we may end up sneaking into the playoffs. But the o-line has to improve, and so does the running game. Spot-on
The Oline improved last week and so did the running game. Your wishes have been granted. Now we will see what happens.

All we got to do is go 11-1 and we got as good a shot as any... And hope everyone else loses, and we're already off to a good start in that regard.

And then we're in. So until we lose again this season, I consider us to be firmly in the playoff running... And no, I don't prefer playing in a bowl game over the playoff, even if that means getting our ass beat by Bama or UGA. The playoff is the end all and be all, and what every red-blooded player at a place like ND should be striving for if there's any chance at it.

Oregons offe

Oregons offense is sputtering. Joe Moorehead is a bum. They got lucky against O State and put up big numbers against Stony Brook but a lousy Stanford team
shut down Oregons O and it is all downhill for them from here on out.

*** Now that ND's oline is jelling the offense will do GREAT in the second half of the season. They actually played pretty well despite the early Oline problems.

*** Last year we beat the # 1 team and made the playoffs and you were still bitch#n and hated on Ian Book. With all due respect--you should stick to what you know well--tennis and 80's hair bands.
So does this mean you're not coming to my USC tailgate 🙁?

All we got to do is go 11-1 and we got as good a shot as any... And hope everyone else loses, and we're already off to a good start in that regard.

And then we're in. So until we lose again this season, I consider us to be firmly in the playoff running... And no, I don't prefer playing in a bowl game over the playoff, even if that means getting our ass beat by Bama or UGA. The playoff is the end all and be all, and what every red-blooded player at a place like ND should be striving for if there's any chance at it.
During the bye week I will be rooting for California, Texas, Indiana, Georgia (they play kentucky who is ranked ahead of us--I doubt Georgia will lose to anyone else on their schedule), Purdue, Mississippi State, TCU, and Tennessee and I guess Cinci.
It will be a stress free college football watching weekend for me.

Reactions: savvyandsassier
Any 1 loss team that has a few top 25 games has a shot. Most teams are just now getting into their conf schedule after loading up on the sisters of the poor.

So, certainly possible but we still look more like a 10+ team and not a top 10.

Lots of athletes. Lots of potential. Just not sure we show well to the committee yet. Would take luck and lights out play.

I would go if I could. You seem like a good guy. I don't like tennis or golf but I do like 80's hair bands.
The 80s hair is gone lol. Not as quick as Agassi and his hair extensions. Btw I actually met him. He's a dick, or was a dick. I cried for a week lol. But he has a hot wife in Steffi Graf! But seriously, I'll be at evey home game, you are always welcome.

The 80s hair is gone lol. Not as quick as Agassi and his hair extensions. Btw I actually met him. He's a dick, or was a dick. I cried for a week lol. But he has a hot wife in Steffi Graf! But seriously, I'll be at evey home game, you are always welcome.
Thanks for the offer. I need to take the step of actually buying a ticket and getting hotel reservations. I have become a hermit that just works all the time. I used to go on adventures all the time.
I am going to look into going to a home game this year for sure--I have never been to a game b/4. I was all preparing to go to a game in 17 but I lost my job of twenty years and had to start a new job three weeks later.
I will let the board know before I go and would definately like to meet you and other posters. Sounds like alot of fun !

Thanks for the offer. I need to take the step of actually buying a ticket and getting hotel reservations. I have become a hermit that just works all the time. I used to go on adventures all the time.
I am going to look into going to a home game this year for sure--I have never been to a game b/4. I was all preparing to go to a game in 17 but I lost my job of twenty years and had to start a new job three weeks later.
I will let the board know before I go and would definately like to meet you and other posters. Sounds like alot of fun !
Bro!!!! Message me well make it happen! I get tickets all the time.

'Iowa at #2 ? What a joke. They have a lousy offense (scored 7 vs. Purdue) and will be exposed.'

Called that one, Bodie!

I would rather get blown out by the eventual national champion than win any regular bowl game. 130 teams start out dreaming about playing for the national championship. That's my dream very year. You can't win a national championship without playing for it. I want that opportunity every year.

What will be fun is if ND’s O starts to click so our D isn’t on the field so much and we sneak up to number 5. Then Cinci loses. That will bring out the “Cinci cannot be in and since they beat ND they cannot either”. And of course the “join a conf”.

Bro!!!! Message me well make it happen! I get tickets all the time.
It will have to be next year. My company is changing over to a new system at the end of this month and I will be to busy for the rest of the year.
I am hoping to have enough in savings to retire in two years and then I can start enjoying life again.
Next year for sure ! I will be comfortable with the new system and will take some vacation time and go to a game or two.
Thanks.

It will have to be next year. My company is changing over to a new system at the end of this month and I will be to busy for the rest of the year.
I am hoping to have enough in savings to retire in two years and then I can start enjoying life again.
Next year for sure ! I will be comfortable with the new system and will take some vacation time and go to a game or two.
Thanks.
Ok, I'll hold you to it. I am right with you. I'm retiring July 26th 2023 (647 days, 2 hours, 54min) at the time of this post. Not that I'm counting lol.

'Iowa at #2 ? What a joke. They have a lousy offense (scored 7 vs. Purdue) and will be exposed.'

Called that one, Bodie!
# 2 Iowa losing to a team we beat is doubly good. Will Purdue enter the top 25 this week?. Also good wins for North Carolina and Virginia. Virginia could sneak into the top 25 this week or others receiving votes.

The coaches still have Iowa in front of us! We lost to #3 Cincy! And beat both B10 teams we played.

Is that what will happen? We need UC to lose for us to have any practical chance? I thought it was the opposite. But I guess that's what you get when you have this completely corrupt, insane, unjust, unrighteous resume-building absolute insult and joke a playoff system like we have. You get lost in the morass of rationales and bullshit reasoning and logic, instead of just earning it on the field nice and simple by winning your conference.

In any case I thought it would be good for our own resume if the only team we lost to was themselves a playoff team. But somehow that's bad, in some bizarro-world way....

But that's okay, the basic logic of wanting all other teams to lose is pretty much impregnable and eternal. So every team above you loses as much as possible, and as much as the math will allow, and that way you are definitely among the top four remaining teams in terms of W/L resume. And you don't have to rely on any subtle sophistry to get you over the line. And on that basis I'm not going to make an exception for UC and will hope they lose every game they play.

Is that what will happen? We need UC to lose for us to have any practical chance? I thought it was the opposite. But I guess that's what you get when you have this completely corrupt, insane, unjust, unrighteous resume-building absolute insult and joke a playoff system like we have. You get lost in the morass of rationales and bullshit reasoning and logic, instead of just earning it on the field nice and simple by winning your conference.

In any case I thought it would be good for our own resume if the only team we lost to was themselves a playoff team. But somehow that's bad, in some bizarro-world way....

But that's okay, the basic logic of wanting all other teams to lose is pretty much impregnable and eternal. So every team above you loses as much as possible, and as much as the math will allow, and that way you are definitely among the top four remaining teams in terms of W/L resume. And you don't have to rely on any subtle sophistry to get you over the line. And on that basis I'm not going to make an exception for UC and will hope they lose every game they play.

I strongly disagree with you. The playoff committee has been very good to us. I actually think they show some favoritism towards ND.

I strongly disagree with you. The playoff committee has been very good to us. I actually think they show some favoritism towards ND.
I guess that's true, but that's probably the best evidence of corruption. In the sense that it's because ND is so popular and gets good ratings that we get the nod. And that's the reason. Our record is the superficial excuse to put us in, but the real thing they want is ND's brand and high ratings....

So they probably do show favoritism, and that's lucky for us. Nevertheless, the whole who needs to win and who needs to lose and all that shit was fun for the very first go around. And then it quickly became a boring, mind-numbing ordeal of endless blathering of who is deserving and who is isn't. And I can't think of anything I associate less with athletic glory and achievement than that..... Especially when coaches start pleading their case at press conferences, and degrading themselves and begging for their team to get in.

Notre Dame is unlikely to make the playoffs no matter how impressively it plays. Cincinnati is likely to be undefeated, and the Irish lost to them at home; Oklahoma and Oklahoma State both have to lose in the Big 12; one of Bama and Georgia will likely advance from the SEC; and a 1-loss team from among Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State will advance from the Big Ten; and a 1-loss Oregon would get the nod over Notre Dame. What always kills ND (last year being the exception) is not having a conference play in game. That loss to Cincinnati was a killer.

Notre Dame is unlikely to make the playoffs no matter how impressively it plays. Cincinnati is likely to be undefeated, and the Irish lost to them at home; Oklahoma and Oklahoma State both have to lose in the Big 12; one of Bama and Georgia will likely advance from the SEC; and a 1-loss team from among Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State will advance from the Big Ten; and a 1-loss Oregon would get the nod over Notre Dame. What always kills ND (last year being the exception) is not having a conference play in game. That loss to Cincinnati was a killer.
Always kills ND is not having a conference play in game? It has never killed us. We had a chance for the playoffs twice in 2018 and 2020 and were voted in both times. And we actually had a conference play in game in 2020 and lost and STILL got in.
Name the years not having a conference playoff game that killed us?
And in 2012 we got to the BCS championship game precisely because a couple of teams that had conference play in games lost.

Always kills ND is not having a conference play in game? It has never killed us. We had a chance for the playoffs twice in 2018 and 2020 and were voted in both times. And we actually had a conference play in game in 2020 and lost and STILL got in.
Name the years not having a conference playoff game that killed us?
And in 2012 we got to the BCS championship game precisely because a couple of teams that had conference play in games lost.
My bad, I omitted the contingency that if we weren't undefeated we would be denied. Your reference to 2012 suggests that you doubt even that. Had we beaten Stanford in the finale of the regular season in 2015, with our only loss being a squeaker at Clemson, it still wouldn't have been enough. Our crud win at BC the week before Stanford doomed us.

I thought there was zero chance of ND making the playoffs this year after the Cincinnati loss, coupled with really poor play in our narrow wins. I now think there is a very slight chance, mostly because of the number of top teams being upset. Still, our play has not been impressive, and even if we win out, I think we have zero chance if we continue the same level of play. However, if our changes to the OL results in significantly improved play, and we start putting up big numbers on offense and dominate the rest of the season, there is a slight chance we get in. Based on our play to date, I wouldn’t vote for us!

Ok, after this weekend, I would say that Bodi is on to something. But.....and a big BUT here we need to get our offense turned around. If we can build on last weeks game and if we get the OLine working our offense can be good. I mean really, really good. If we can win out and win convincingly we do have an outside shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT