ADVERTISEMENT

Phil to BC

So NDs savior QB is going to be competing for a starting job at one of the worst teams in college football last year?
Phil was a composite top 100 player. Do recruiting rankings not matter to you anymore?

Also, unlike BC, which was a .500 football club in 2019 and therefore can't fit the definition of "one of the worst", Louisville actually was one of the worst teams in college football 2018 and yet became a bowl team in 2019. What made the difference? Answer that question and you'll see how ridiculous your post is.

Phil was a composite top 100 player. Do recruiting rankings not matter to you anymore?

Also, unlike BC, which was a .500 football club in 2019 and therefore can't fit the definition of "one of the worst", Louisville actually was one of the worst teams in college football 2018 and yet became a bowl team in 2019. What made the difference? Answer that question and you'll see how ridiculous your post is.
Satterfield. What does that have to do with Phil and BC? And Louisville was a more talented team than BC

Yikes. Thats a rough landing spot
Hey I wish him all the best, because in the end he is a kid and it's his decision. But, as I posted earlier this to me says something about his competitive makeup. If he's honestly as good as some claim, I'd expect a more competitive decision

It's freaking amazing that people just can't wish the kid well and hope that he has a successful career

Phil we hardly knew ya.

I can’t root for BC ever in anything ... so to me there is no longer a Phil Jurkovec.

I agree with the general sentiment that QBs can have a sizable impact on a team/football program so not much to contest there.

As for the recruiting rankings, it's something I put a lot of value on for the first 1-2 years a player is in a program and then at about 1-2 years in I start to put way more weight on their in-program production.

The fact that Phil Jerkovec couldn't beat out Ian Book makes me VERY skeptical regarding his outlook at this level at this point. Even if he does make it as a D1 starter, I have serious doubts there's much upside there.

Phil to Fredo. See if he gets the respect he thinks he deserved. Fortunately everyone already knows Kelly's playbook.

Hey I wish him all the best, because in the end he is a kid and it's his decision. But, as I posted earlier this to me says something about his competitive makeup. If he's honestly as good as some claim, I'd expect a more competitive decision

so typical! distortion of truth! so? sitting and watching is the new ‘competitive spurit’!

Some ND fans don’t really deserve the loyalty that are demanding.

Satterfield. What does that have to do with Phil and BC? And Louisville was a more talented team than BC
The point is a new coach made the difference at Louisville. It's silly to try to say, "Team X was bad under coach Y and therefore will be bad under new coach Z." No one knows what's going to happen under the new coach. Louisville is a good example because right after we beat them at the beginning of the year, many ND fans, including Chase (if I remember correctly), were saying we struggled against a really bad team. And they assessed they were a very bad team solely on what they had done the prior year under a different coach. Herbstreit, who called the game, predicted they would be a bowl team and some people thought he was nuts. He was right because he thought he had seen enough under the new coach. They were wrong.

Pretending you know what will happen under a new coach before one game is even played is dumb. Also, going to a school with a new coach is a very good move. Phil is now Hafley's guy. Going to an established program with an established coach would have been fine but he wouldn't necessarily have stood out among his peers.

Reactions: Kelso86
I agree with the general sentiment that QBs can have a sizable impact on a team/football program so not much to contest there.

As for the recruiting rankings, it's something I put a lot of value on for the first 1-2 years a player is in a program and then at about 1-2 years in I start to put way more weight on their in-program production.

The fact that Phil Jerkovec couldn't beat out Ian Book makes me VERY skeptical regarding his outlook at this level at this point. Even if he does make it as a D1 starter, I have serious doubts there's much upside there.
When was Phil supposed to have beaten out Book in your mind? Most of the year last year (2018) you were singing Book's praises. You were pretty close to calling him elite if not outright saying so. Did you expect a true freshman or even a redshirt freshmen to beat out an elite or near-elite QB or even be in contention to do so?

Last edited:
so typical! distortion of truth! so? sitting and watching is the new ‘competitive spurit’!

Some ND fans don’t really deserve the loyalty that are demanding.
No sitting and watching is not the new competitive spirit. Competing for the job and being totally prepared if your the backup is an old competitive spirit .. that is lost. It's the sign of our times. But hey, as I said first off, I wish him well.

When was Phil supposed to have beaten out Book in your mind? Most of the year last year (2018) you were singing Book's praises. You were pretty close to calling him elite if not outright saying so. Did you expect a true freshman or even a redshirt freshmen to beat out an elite or near-elite QB or even be in contention to do so?
That was back during the first 6 games of Ian Book's career last year when he looked like the 2nd coming of Baker Mayfield or something. Since then he's been pretty ordinary. I like Book but I've since retracted a lot of those really big glossy words I was using to describe his status/performance. I think Pro Football Focus had him rated somewhere in the mid 30s for the 2019 season as well.

That was back during the first 6 games of Ian Book's career last year when he looked like the 2nd coming of Baker Mayfield or something. Since then he's been pretty ordinary. I like Book but I've since retracted a lot of those really big glossy words I was using to describe his status/performance. I think Pro Football Focus had him rated somewhere in the mid 30s for the 2019 season as well.
It's good to reevaluate your opinions after new info comes in, but it doesn't completely address my point. For good reasons or bad, there hasn't been a QB competition since Phil arrived on campus. Without one, it would have made it very difficult for Phil to beat out Ian. And during the season, every time BK was asked about Ian's performance after a subpar game, BK continuously doubled, tripled, etc. down on the notion that the coaches had faith in Ian and that he would improve. Similarly, BK also stood by Rees and Golson when they struggled. With Golson, a lot of people thought ND had a very good backup in Zaire that deserved a chance but BK waited until the end of the season to try that (for what it's worth, I was never a person that thought Golson should have been replaced - I thought the offensive approach needed to change).

The point is, the fact that BK sometimes sticks with a struggling QB doesn't necessarily mean his backup isn't good.

It's good to reevaluate your opinions after new info comes in, but it doesn't completely address my point. For good reasons or bad, there hasn't been a QB competition since Phil arrived on campus. Without one, it would have made it very difficult for Phil to beat out Ian. And during the season, every time BK was asked about Ian's performance after a subpar game, BK continuously doubled, tripled, etc. down on the notion that the coaches had faith in Ian and that he would improve. Similarly, BK also stood by Rees and Golson when they struggled. With Golson, a lot of people thought ND had a very good backup in Zaire that deserved a chance but BK waited until the end of the season to try that (for what it's worth, I was never a person that thought Golson should have been replaced - I thought the offensive approach needed to change).

The point is, the fact that BK sometimes sticks with a struggling QB doesn't necessarily mean his backup isn't good.
Fair enough, but which backup ND QBs have transferred and had great success? Perhaps they are backups for a reason.

This is one of those situations where we kind of have no choice but to trust the coach's evaluation. Coach's don't start worse players over better players. There are cases where their own scouting wasn't very good and they underestimated the back up but there's a reason those cases are extremely rare. They've seen thousands of reps from both of these QBs in camps, drills, practice, film, etc. which is why Book was starting games.

Your entire argument basically comes down to you thinking that BK/staff didn't evaluate these QBs correctly/didn't give Phil enough opportunity.

My argument is that coaches get to see thousands of reps and they are paid millions to objectively evaluate players at every position and give the best players on the team that give the team the best chance to win all the reps they can handle. The fact that there was no formal/public-competition just reinforces that idea that Phil wasn't even close to Ian Book in terms of ability.

Moreover, Boston College was one of the worst teams in college football last year .. this is the last place any sane player with options would go to revive his career. If the other coach's who've been able to evaluate/scout Phil's film had some faith in his ability he would not be transferring to Boston College.

Last edited:
So NDs savior QB is going to be competing for a starting job at one of the worst teams in college football last year?
Didn’t BC go 6-6? Not great by any measure, but a hell of a long way from worst teams in college football.

Reactions: rgc7
Didn’t BC go 6-6? Not great by any measure, but a hell of a long way from worst teams in college football.
The ACC was terrible last year .. you can throw record out of the window especially in this conference.

Boston College final F/+ ranking is 79th

Fair enough, but which backup ND QBs have transferred and had great success? Perhaps they are backups for a reason.
Gunner Kiel transferred, started his first year of eligibility at his new school, had a very good first year as the starter, was the starter his 2nd year and then had a rash of injuries including serious head injuries, one of which caused him to be hospitalized. It was only after his rash of injuries that his performance declined and he was finally demoted.

Andrew Hendrix transferred his final year. He started the entire year at his new school and had very good numbers despite being on a bad team.

I get what you are trying to say. You are likely looking at Golson, Zaire, and Wimbush. None of which should be labeled as "backups" since they were all named starters at ND. Golson, in particular, was never really a backup at ND after 2012. He left after a QB competition in the spring of 2015 at a time when BK said he had his best spring and many insiders thought he had the inside track to, again, win the starting job. Regardless, I get your point. If those QB's were so good, why didn't they succeed after they transferred?

I pointed this out not too long ago in a different thread. Wimbush, Zaire, and Golson all played 3+ years under BK. It was BK's responsibility to develop them, not some coach that was going to have them for only one year. The fact that each didn't play much better when they transferred to play out their final year doesn't prove they didn't have talent to begin with. Any school that accepts a 5th year QB transfer is hoping they are receiving someone who has already been developed and maybe needs a little tweaking here or there. If they show up on the new campus and it turns out they need more than a little tweak, what coach would want to put in the time to try to develop a one-and-done player?

So two things: There have been backups that have succeeded after leaving ND, they just aren't the ones that people like to remember when they think about QBs that transferred.

And Phil's situation is different from Golson, Zaire, and Wimbush because he has 3 years of eligibility remaining. His new coach will likely invest the time to try to develop him. We'll see what happens. I hope all the best for him - unless we happen to be playing against him, in which case, **** that guy.

Reactions: NDinNJ and rgc7
The ACC was terrible last year .. you can throw record out of the window especially in this conference.

Boston College final F/+ ranking is 79th
Perhaps you are only guilty of a bit of hyperbole. There are around 50 D1 schools worse than 79. So, no, BC is NOT one of the worst teams in college football. It’s also a very good school in one of the best college cities in the world. Does F+ rate college towns and cities?

Reactions: rgc7
Perhaps you are only guilty of a bit of hyperbole. There are around 50 D1 schools worse than 79. So, no, BC is NOT one of the worst teams in college football. It’s also a very good school in one of the best college cities in the world. Does F+ rate college towns and cities?

There are only 65 teams in the P5 ... you are right I should have said one of the worst teams in the P5 .. my bad. The entirety of my argument still stands.

Looks like Phil will get a fresh start with the Eagles. I love the new HC too. Good luck Phil
Thought he would end up at Oklahoma. Seems like every transferring QB ends up there. The last 3 Heisman winners are all transfer QB's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT