ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Jurkovec Transferring

The 2015 team was the most talented team since the early 90s. God awful coaching and a joke of a S&C program ruined that team. The fact that it has been widely reported that before Balis the S&C program was basically optional for a few years is unforgivable.
Yep, I've said for awhile that was easily Kelly's most talented team. Unfortunately the injuries and the joke that was the Vangorder experiment wrecked a potentially national title contending team.

Georgia doesn’t belong in the conversation with those teams. ND could have easily won in Athens and UGA was boatraced by LSU. Kirby is not a great coach. Georgia is on the next tier down with Oklahoma and Notre Dame

.... If there quarterback played worth a damn they could have won at Georgia.

Ian was fine vs Georgia. And would you rather go 8-4 and confirm Phil isn’t the guy just to maybe see if he’s the missing link?

Exactly. Ian was "fine" at Georgia. He wasn't good, he was fine. How often do you go on the road and beat a top 10 team when your QB is fine. He left a lot of plays out on the field at Georgia that could have been the difference.

Some players are just gamers. They don't excel in practice but they Excel once they get into a competitive game. Take me for instance. I'm rather lazy during practice but when I get into a game situation there is no better Toss-Across player than me

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishMike409
My take and it's obviously all opinion, but ND goes undefeated with Wimbush in 2018 because of the defense. At times the offense would look more explosive and other times more clueless. Our biggest win that year, WImbush. Our most efficient offensive game, wimbush. I believe ND still loses to clemson, but it would have been a lot better of a game. Clemson D was very similar to UM, and book was not ready for it.

ND almost lost to Vanderbilt and Ball State because of Wimbush. Stop with this nonsense.

Ian was fine vs Georgia. And would you rather go 8-4 and confirm Phil isn’t the guy just to maybe see if he’s the missing link?
Whuuuut? Ian was fine in the Georgia game? You mean the Bulldogs 2019 right? I guess we watched different games lol.

Can’t blame him. Coaching staff publicity and behind the scenes didn’t believe him and he was never going to get a fair shot. We’ll see if he’s actually a good player or not down the road wherever he lands
What do you mean he never got a fair shot?

Everyday in practice he gets a fair shot.

Being recruited and given a FULL RIDE SCHOLARSHIP at one of the greatest academic universities in the world, is being given a shot!

Let’s see where Phil ends up. Maybe Sparty will pick him up. They are looking for a QB.

ND had 21 yards total yards rushing from their running backs. Book played as well as possible with that non existent running game.
Yes Georgia loaded the line to prevent the run. They made Ian beat them. He did not. He missed a lot of recievers and had happy feet and did not go through his progressions. No an elite qb would have exploited Georgia and lit them up.

Tell me what he could have done better with literally no running game?
Yes, Georgia loaded the line and made Ian beat them. He failed, he did not have a good game. A more capable qb would have exploited this. There's a reason Book is getting no love from the NFL, no love from the Heisman, and is currently ranked in the 30s as a college qb.

Tell me what he could have done better with literally no running game?

Complete passes in the seem, for touchdowns, to his wide open tight end that just left early for the Draft... Even one of them means ND wins the game.

The rushing game was abysmal... But a better QB wins that Georgia game hands down. In both the 2017 and 2019 ND vs Georgia games they were decided by Jake Fromm making a couple more great throws than Ian Book and Georgia's receivers making catches to match the throws.

Reactions: irish4life888
Complete passes in the seem, for touchdowns, to his wide open tight end that just left early for the Draft... Even one of them means ND wins the game.

The rushing game was abysmal... But a better QB wins that Georgia game hands down. In both the 2017 and 2019 ND vs Georgia games they were decided by Jake Fromm making a couple more great throws than Ian Book and Georgia's receivers making catches to match the throws.
Let's not forget the two picks. One that was just unforgivable.

I’ll side with the coaching staff on this one. Charlie Weis couldn’t fix Dayne and Wimbush was a bust after transfer. Some guys just don’t have it.

.... If there quarterback played worth a damn they could have won at Georgia.
I really think it is also a coaching issue, don't you? Great recruiter. Good defensive coach whose offenses are uninspiring given the overwhelming talent. He plays too safe?

i think its outright nonsense to say any player "was not given the chance to develop ". where do you think that happens ? it happens on the practice field. I personally would have liked to see more of him in games but that's just me. He obviously feels it's in his best interest to move on. to blame the coaching staff for that is really shortsighted in my opinion. I just don't understand that line of thinking.

Clearly you don't understand because in your mind the coaching staff has never done anything wrong ..... ever

Being shortsighted is relative when you're completely blind

Reactions: chitown sot
I’ll side with the coaching staff on this one. Charlie Weis couldn’t fix Dayne and Wimbush was a bust after transfer. Some guys just don’t have it.

No coach at ND has even hinted Phil didn’t have it.
Phil has a 206 passer rating at ND.
The QB coach (and about to be new OC) & the former OC neither liked a QB style like Phil & never even tried to work with him or run an offense that fit his abilities. They wanted a QB like Book.
Phil isn’t leaving because he’s not good. He’s leaving because of Rees & Long.

The QB coach (and about to be new OC) & the former OC neither liked a QB style like Phil & never even tried to work with him or run an offense that fit his abilities. They wanted a QB like Book.
He didn’t have what it took to beat out Ian Book. That’s my point. That’s a fact!

He didn’t have what it took to beat out Ian Book. That’s my point.

He was never going to do that. If you read about the practice situations, Book took 95% of the snaps. Phil never even had a chance. Long & Rees neither wanted Phil. A lot of the players & their families aren’t happy with how Phil was treated & are expressing it today.

What do you mean he never got a fair shot?

Everyday in practice he gets a fair shot.

Being recruited and given a FULL RIDE SCHOLARSHIP at one of the greatest academic universities in the world, is being given a shot!

Let’s see where Phil ends up. Maybe Sparty will pick him up. They are looking for a QB.
This.

I would even argue that Phil could’ve been given a better “shot” than others. Phil isn’t Lawrence or Fields, but he’s an elite prospect. Don’t you think our staff wanted him to ultimately win the job!? I do.

Reactions: Zorich 88
Respectfully: would you provide some links. You keep hinting at a bigger story here, and I can’t find anything.

How do you know this? Do you have special powers to know all that Kelly and Rees and Long (by the way he was fired) are thinking? I had high hopes for Phil but he was terrible in the AA game, terrible is last spring's game. Maybe what people say is right, maybe it is/was Chip's offense that had him hamstrung. If that's the case, why not hang around to see who is the next OC? I still don't get his decision.

He was never going to do that. If you read about the practice situations, Book took 95% of the snaps. Phil never even had a chance. Long & Rees neither wanted Phil. A lot of the players & their families aren’t happy with how Phil was treated & are expressing it today.

Well Long is long gone (pun intended) so let’s see what happens. From what I’ve read the players like Rees so something is off here. Are you 100% sure Rees will be the OC or are you making your best guess?

16 passes against backups LOL

How do you know this? Do you have special powers to know all that Kelly and Rees and Long (by the way he was fired) are thinking? I had high hopes for Phil but he was terrible in the AA game, terrible is last spring's game. Maybe what people say is right, maybe it is/was Chip's offense that had him hamstrung. If that's the case, why not hang around to see who is the next OC? I still don't get his decision.

Ummm, this isn’t new. The transfer story isn’t new.
About three months ago this was already being discussed. I just realized people on this board are reacting to this as if it is new...
Multiple sites have discussed this ad nauseam over the past few months. There were MULTIPLE podcasts on different sites saying they would be surprised if Phil didn’t transfer after what they have heard from players, families, people inside the Gug, etc...
Going back three months was when negative comments about Phil were first leaked. Then the staff had a chance to fix that & they didn’t. Obviously Long was let go, but Rees wasn’t a fan of Phil or willing to work with him. Not because of how good Phil is, but they just didn’t get along. That has been the same thing reported by multiple sites. Multiple younger players who came in with Phil were also frustrated by this. They respect Phil & everyone says Phil works as hard as anyone on the team but Rees & Long never gave him a chance. Rees is going to be the OC. Rees didn’t do anything as the QB coach to try to get Phil to stay.
Multiple sites are reporting the same info. Heck, one is even straight up saying they have been overloaded with messages from players & parents frustrated by the situation & support Phil.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Well Long is long gone (pun intended) so let’s see what happens. From what I’ve read the players like Rees so something is off here. Are you 100% sure Rees will be the OC or are you making your best guess?

A lot of the players like Rees, but they weren’t QBs in his QB room. A lot of players loved Denson too, but the RBs didn’t as much.
And I obviously don’t know 100% who will be OC, but all 4 ND sites are saying they have been told it’s going to be Rees, so I’m going to go with that until ND actually interviews somebody else?

Never said that.
Just staring that I don’t get why some people said he wasn’t any good in games? He was really good in games.
He absolutely has good results while in but to me it looked like luck, never intentional m. Even his runs it looked like he had no clue and kept getting tackled from behind while unsure. Not saying Phil couldn’t have done some good things, and as you know I wanted him to play a lot more after UM. It’s just telling to me that kelly had no confidence in him, and that’s what I saw with my eyes.

He absolutely has good results while in but to me it looked like luck, never intentional m. Even his runs it looked like he had no clue and kept getting tackled from behind while unsure. Not saying Phil couldn’t have done some good things, and as you know I wanted him to play a lot more after UM. It’s just telling to me that kelly had no confidence in him, and that’s what I saw with my eyes.

It seems to me after reading/listening multiple sites, Long/Rees never gave him a chance. One person said he covered 6-7 teams over the years & what was usual was a backup getting a certain percentage of snaps. He says Rees/Long hardly gave Phil any snaps.
I honestly don’t think they wanted him. Lou said tonight that he was told straight up that ND would not be trying to talk Phil into stating. This matches what another mod on another site said, which was ND had a chance to keep him but Rees didn’t want to.

Can’t blame him. Coaching staff publicity and behind the scenes didn’t believe him and he was never going to get a fair shot. We’ll see if he’s actually a good player or not down the road wherever he lands
You have no idea if he had a fair shot or not. I am so sick of statements like this. The coaching staff knows better then you, me or anyone else.

Book is 20-3 as a starter, hard to putbhimnon the bench.

Never said Book should be on the bench.
What I feel:
1) Certain coaches should not have leaked negative comments about Phil
2) Phil should have had more reps in practice
3) Phil should have played more in blowouts
4) Rees should made more of an overall effort with Phil

Reactions: chitown sot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT