ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Jurkovec Transferring

Get real Toby. “Once a Domer, always a Domer” to a guy who spent 2 years on campus, and then left? But the condescending, smart-ass comment referencing BK? BK has busted his ass getting this program to where it is.

And spare me the key-board tough guy response bragging how you go to every game and you’ve earned the right to say what you want. Heard it from you before, and not buying it.
I don't know what past you have with this poster but if I had to guess who tries to be the internet tough guy I would say you. Now aren't you late for a team meeting lol?

BW was damn good that night. Damn good. We needed his skill-set vs that loaded Michigan D.

Absolutely. That doesn't mean Brandon was a better long term answer than Ian. I was proven wrong on my assertion that he was and I've definitely owned it... But Brandon's escapability and knack to make huge plays with his legs was why he started. That Michigan front 7 was way better than ND's front and Kelly knew it. Book was not the answer in that game.

Kids peak at different times. It may well be that PJ peaked in HS and has never progressed since then. It could also be that he never clicked with the coaching staff. I suspect that the hope for every college team is that a recruit didn't peak in HS and the hope for every NFL team is that the draftee didn't peak in college.

Get real Toby. “Once a Domer, always a Domer” to a guy who spent 2 years on campus, and then left? But the condescending, smart-ass comment referencing BK? BK has busted his ass getting this program to where it is.

And spare me the key-board tough guy response bragging how you go to every game and you’ve earned the right to say what you want. Heard it from you before, and not buying it.
Grow up dude. Why you taking this so personal? You act like this is a direct personal insult to you. Phil has spent more blood, sweat, and tears on this campus than you ever have. "Once a Domer, always a Domer". I wish him the best whether you like it or not. Stop acting like a child for gosh sakes. This has nothing to do with you.

He could have come gone to spring ball..then summer camp...then start the year and if he wins the job great, if Book gets injured and he is given the job then great...if not he just makes sure he does not play any more than 4 games and then still has two years of eligibility remaining. He would likely graduate next spring and then move on without sitting out a year. Seems simple to me. Plus he ends up with his ND degree.
Do you have knowledge that there will be a QB competition this spring? Has BK and staff implied this in any way? Was there a QB competition in the spring of 2019? Why in the world would 2020 be any different?

Your "seems simple to me" comment proves my point. You can see things from your perspective but are unable to even try to see things from PJ's perspective. Your scenario above, while wrong on its face; there will be no QB competition in 2020, is also just one way to look at things. It isn't the only way and I don't think it is even close to being the most reasonable way.

And just so we're clear how off-base your comment above is - PJ already redshirted. Playing 4 or less games in 2020 won't change his eligibility status moving forward one bit.

I don't know what past you have with this poster but if I had to guess who tries to be the internet tough guy I would say you. Now aren't you late for a team meeting lol?
I have no past with this youngun. In fact, I really don't remember any of his comments. He's just having a bad day.

Reactions: irish4life888
The 2015 team would easily dispatch of the 2018 team from purely a raw talent standpoint.

And most assuredly on the field should they have both received the same defensive coaching.

Also, the change in defensive coaching from 2015 to 2018 would not have come about except for that it was thrust upon Kelly as a requirement.

So I would disagree with your premise quite heartily. There has neither been an improvement from a talent perspective nor has Kelly "built up" the team as he is not even responsible for the primary reason for the perceived improvement of the program (defensive leadership and day to day defensive coaching).

I also have difficulty envisioning the 2018 offense scoring an appreciable amount of points on the 2012 defense. Although the same could likely be said of the 2012 offense vs the 2018 defense. Would likely be a stalemate between the two teams and definitely the 2018 team could not be objectively observed as a clearly superior team to 2012.

I think you missed the mark quite dearly here.
The 2015 team was the most talented team since the early 90s. God awful coaching and a joke of a S&C program ruined that team. The fact that it has been widely reported that before Balis the S&C program was basically optional for a few years is unforgivable.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Absolutely. That doesn't mean Brandon was a better long term answer than Ian. I was proven wrong on my assertion that he was and I've definitely owned it... But Brandon's escapability and knack to make huge plays with his legs was why he started. That Michigan front 7 was way better than ND's front and Kelly knew it. Book was not the answer in that game.
My take and it's obviously all opinion, but ND goes undefeated with Wimbush in 2018 because of the defense. At times the offense would look more explosive and other times more clueless. Our biggest win that year, WImbush. Our most efficient offensive game, wimbush. I believe ND still loses to clemson, but it would have been a lot better of a game. Clemson D was very similar to UM, and book was not ready for it.

Reactions: deadprez3
As I said in another thread:
Phil’s QB rating at ND is over 206. The NCAA record is 204. Obviously that is a very small sample size, but people acting like he was no good in games are crazy. He also rushed for 10 ypc.
The reason he didn’t play had nothing to do with ability, it was the fact that Long & Rees both want a QB like Book, not Phil. They want to throw short, no turnovers, control the game. Phil is an athlete with a cannon. He’s going to throw the ball down the field, break long runs, probably turn it over some.
Long & Rees didn’t want to utilize Phil’s strengths. Rees soon becoming the OC was the nail in the coffin because Rees really doesn’t value Phil.

Reactions: deadprez3
Phil’s QB rating at ND is over 206. The NCAA record is 204. Obviously that is a very small sample size, but people acting like he was no good in games are crazy. He also rushed for 10 ypc.
The reason he didn’t play had nothing to do with ability, it was the fact that Long & Rees both want a QB like Book, not Phil. They want to throw short, no turnovers, control the game. Phil is an athlete with a cannon. He’s going to throw the ball down the field, break long runs, probably turn it over some.
Long & Rees didn’t want to utilize Phil’s strengths. Rees soon becoming the OC was the nail in the coffin because Rees really doesn’t value Phil.
I was on your side until i watched him play last 2 years. I kept having hope he would improve, but every time i watched him i shuddered. He looked lost while getting yards vs second team defenses. Yes a cannon, but struggled throwing a spiral on shorter throws. How are you a QB at this level struggling to throw a spiral? Best of luck to him, but i'm pretty confident this turns out to be a Malik to florida type loss.

I was on your side until i watched him play last 2 years. I kept having hope he would improve, but every time i watched him i shuddered. He looked lost while getting yards vs second team defenses. Yes a cannon, but struggled throwing a spiral on shorter throws. How are you a QB at this level struggling to throw a spiral? Best of luck to him, but i'm pretty confident this turns out to be a Malik to florida type loss.

The problem with his motion was all on ND. They kept messing with it. They tried changing it multiple times. Whenever he would just relax & throw he was fine. His completion percentage was 75%. (12-16).
What throws in games were bad? That’s the point. People keep talking about, “in games.” In games his rating was over 206!!! He was good in games.

LOL. He threw 22 passes against backups and backups of bad teams except Michigan.

Reactions: amazingreis
The problem with his motion was all on ND. They kept messing with it. They tried changing it multiple times. Whenever he would just relax & throw he was fine. His completion percentage was 75%. (12-16).
What throws in games were bad? That’s the point. People keep talking about, “in games.” In games his rating was over 206!!! He was good in games.
12-16 is basically one half of football, all of which he played against backups and bad teams. I find it pretty laughable that people think we had a transcendent talent, the only thing between us and a title, on the bench because the starter was the coach’s pet despite him not getting the job until the guy in front of him barely beat Ball St and Vandy.

The 2015 team was the most talented team since the early 90s. God awful coaching and a joke of a S&C program ruined that team. The fact that it has been widely reported that before Balis the S&C program was basically optional for a few years is unforgivable.

Good point and a total oversight on my part.

How could I have forgotten Kelly's Best Man?

Lolzzzzz

Say what you will about Kelly, he is definitely proficient at funneling money out of ND's endowment and into his and his wedding party's coffers.

The Kelly Backers become conspicuously silent at the mere mention of those two names. Its the only truly effective repellent.

12-16 is basically one half of football, all of which he played against backups and bad teams. I find it pretty laughable that people think we had a transcendent talent, the only thing between us and a title, on the bench because the starter was the coach’s pet despite him not getting the job until the guy in front of him barely beat Ball St and Vandy.

A few things:
1) He actually didn’t play against bad teams & backups. His longest real game action was at Michigan against their #1s & he led a TD drive. He unfortunately did not get a lot of garbage time in games like he should have.
2) He can’t put himself in the game. When he was in the game, he led TD drives with no turnovers. If he only gets to throw 16 passes, that’s not his fault. He did pretty well on those 16. He also ran for 10 ypc. (Not counting kneel downs). He did what he could with what he was given.
3) Nobody said he was a transcendent talent. But he was pretty darn good in the limited minutes he was given. That’s all he can do.

Reactions: irish4life888
Good point and a total oversight on my part.

How could I have forgotten Kelly's Best Man?

Lolzzzzz

Say what you will about Kelly, he is definitely proficient at funneling money out of ND's endowment and into his and his wedding party's coffers.

The Kelly Backers become conspicuously silent at the mere mention of those two names. Its the only truly effective repellent.

You mean the two guys BK fired?
Then went 33-6 afterwards?

Reactions: Catholicfan95
But in all fairness, mop-up time vs. 2nd Team D tells us very little. The only rational explanation here is that at some point in practice or meetings, Phil didn't meet the expectation, and just couldn't get to where he wanted to be on the depth chart.

I have no past with this youngun. In fact, I really don't remember any of his comments. He's just having a bad day.
I'm having a fine day, Toby. Don't assume anything different.

I guess I can understand supporting Phil. That's perfectly fine. What I don't get is why you choose to take a swipe at BK in your post? Maybe it's personal between you and BK for some reason. Perhaps you're the one who should "grow up".

Reactions: Pennick4
Another factor in his leaving is that there was never going to be any competition for the job in 2020. Ian Book has essentially been awarded the position as a reward for deciding to stay at ND, in hopes that he has yet another jump in production in him.
Lol.. You sound butthurt.

Please don't be so disingenuous.

Everyone knows those changes were thrust upon him.

And everyone could clearly observe that the changes should have been made well in advance of when they actually traspired.

You know both of these to be facts so I'm not sure why you are carrying about in this manner.

QB rating of 206! They should retire his number and build a statue!

He could have come gone to spring ball..then summer camp...then start the year and if he wins the job great, if Book gets injured and he is given the job then great...if not he just makes sure he does not play any more than 4 games and then still has two years of eligibility remaining. He would likely graduate next spring and then move on without sitting out a year. Seems simple to me. Plus he ends up with his ND degree.

Couldn't agree more. I just don't get it. Book will miss some time next year. Last year was the first in how many years that our starter made it through the season without any downtime (just ask USC this year.) As of today Phil was the next guy in and, for all reports, the front runner in 2021. Yes, there will be guys competing but if he really is the near 5* talent that we recruited, he takes the ball, has a great season and either 1. Goes to the NFL or 2. Comes back for his final NFL audition.

Doubtful he gets an exception. So he won't play at all next year. And will have to compete for a job somewhere in 2021. If he ends up being Joe Burrow, then it was a good move. But if he struggles, he could be back to the starting line and fighting for his football life.

Below is an excerpt from a periodical covering the 2017 Duke loss with inclusions from Kelly's post game press conference.

When reviewing, it would be certainly to surmise that Kelly was of a state of mind to fire BVG. And it was quite clear that he was not up for coach speak on that day as he was catapulting players under the mass transit vehicle with more frequency than even is habitual for him.

I don't perceive you to be quite that naive and nor should you expect others to be. And I'm not sure the reason for protecting the honor of the fair maiden Kelly.

Anyway, here is the excerpt for your refreshment on the matter:

When asked if he still had confidence in Brian VanGorder — whose defense allowed Duke to average nearly two yards per play more than it did in losses to Wake Forest and Northwestern, games in which the Blue Devils combined to score 27 points — Kelly continued to back his embattled coordinator. So while the standings of 22 aren’t safe, VanGorder is for now, even with the student section at Notre Dame Stadium belting out a “Fire Van-Gord-er” chant at times Saturday.

“That's probably the one area that I feel better about today,” Kelly said. “We did what I wanted today in terms of coaching. And coaching had nothing to do with the outcome today.”

Certainly does not sound like one planning to terminate another the next day, even with the acknowledgement of the coaching speak phenomenon.

Please don't be so disingenuous.

Everyone knows those changes were thrust upon him.

And everyone could clearly observe that the changes should have been made well in advance of when they actually traspired.

You know both of these to be facts so I'm not sure why you are carrying about in this manner.

I was just stating two facts. BK fires those two & ND has gone 33-6 since.

Couldn't agree more. I just don't get it. Book will miss some time next year. Last year was the first in how many years that our starter made it through the season without any downtime (just ask USC this year.) As of today Phil was the next guy in and, for all reports, the front runner in 2021. Yes, there will be guys competing but if he really is the near 5* talent that we recruited, he takes the ball, has a great season and either 1. Goes to the NFL or 2. Comes back for his final NFL audition.

Doubtful he gets an exception. So he won't play at all next year. And will have to compete for a job somewhere in 2021. If he ends up being Joe Burrow, then it was a good move. But if he struggles, he could be back to the starting line and fighting for his football life.
I wouldn’t be shocked if he does wind up getting an exemption. I also don’t know that anyone considered him the front runner in 2021 and even if he was, it wasn’t by much.

From my comfortable chair in NW Kentucky, I think the whole team played horrible in ann arbor last season. It pains me to remember that night.

anyone think Michigan played well?

Lol.. You sound butthurt.

Not in the least. I feel like we know the ceiling with Ian. It's a good ceiling. A respectable one. But a ceiling none-the-less that falls short of ND's only major goal. A national title. We've seen Ian Book vs top defenses. Clemson, Georgia and Michigan set QB play vs top defenses back 50 years.

Not in the least. I feel like we know the ceiling with Ian. It's a good ceiling. A respectable one. But a ceiling none-the-less that falls short of ND's only major goal. A national title. We've seen Ian Book vs top defenses. Clemson, Georgia and Michigan set QB play vs top defenses back 50 years.
Ian was fine vs Georgia. And would you rather go 8-4 and confirm Phil isn’t the guy just to maybe see if he’s the missing link?

PJ's top priority should be finding a school with a good Oline.

I wouldn’t be shocked if he does wind up getting an exemption. I also don’t know that anyone considered him the front runner in 2021 and even if he was, it wasn’t by much.
I guess I was going by the fact that he was #2 this year and behind BW last... and the highest rated Qb we've gotten since Wimbush.

And yet if walk-on Chris Finke doesn't make a circus-one-of-the-biggest in recent history td catches on an under thrown ball we don't get that win.
Great play. I literally jumped off my couch when he caught that ball.

I was just stating two facts. BK fires those two & ND has gone 33-6 since.

I'm not sure the point of quoting my post to present these facts?

You could have easily presented these facts absent my post.

If their presence were meant to somehow refute my point, I'm afraid you may have lost your bearings a bit through this thread.

To re-summarize it briefly: The two primary improvements made to the program since 2015 only came about because they were forced upon Kelly. As such, I did not feel it appropriate for the poster to claim that Kelly was responsible for the "build up" of the program from 2015 to 2018--which is also clearly a debatable stance of its own.

As you can see, its quite confusing why you quoted my post to present these. Again, there was no reason for it.

May I also throw out two arbitrary facts in the spirit of your post?

1) Kelly hired BVG

2) ND had the worst statistical defense in its program's history during his tenure as defensive coordinator

I'm just throwing them out there. No particular reason.

On Ian. I believe, if our WRs learn quickly, will beat the teams we are better than. Which -- if our defense is as good as this year and we get over losing our leaders, Kareem and Gilmann -- means it all comes down to the Clemson game at home. Two ifs but not unlike 2018 when we only had Boykin (with limited catches) returning...

Does Book play like Baker Mayfield that day and get us one for the history books?

For the record, ND is going to be fine. They're not winning anything of significance with Ian Book at QB unless improves dramatically, which I don't see happening. That said, they were winning anything with Phil Jurcovec either, IMO, without even more significant improvement than what Book needs.
Yep, we won't win anything of significance in the near future but it won't be because Ian or Phil.

Reactions: Leahylads
Backup on a title contender to be exact. There is a ton of nuance between those two.

Yes, Ian Book has proven to be better than I thought he could be. No Ian Book has shown a shred of ability that would lead anyone to believe that ND could beat an Ohio State, Clemson or LSU program in 2020. There are about 5 teams that are gatekeepers for the Championship right now.

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. LSU
5. Georgia

I don't see Ian Book as some transcendent talent that can be the difference in overcoming the talent gap possessed by those programs. It's not fault of the kid. He's really solid. A top 4 QB at ND over the past 15 years (along with Quinn, Clausen and Kizer), but in the national landscape he hasn't yet proven to be near the capability of a Lawrence, Burrow, Tu'a, or Fields... And he doesn't have the supporting cast that Fromm does.

The kid is good, but does anybody actually think he's good enough to play for a title? JMO.

Georgia doesn’t belong in the conversation with those teams. ND could have easily won in Athens and UGA was boatraced by LSU. Kirby is not a great coach. Georgia is on the next tier down with Oklahoma and Notre Dame

Georgia doesn’t belong in the conversation with those teams. ND could have easily won in Athens and UGA was boatraced by LSU. Kirby is not a great coach. Georgia is on the next tier down with Oklahoma and Notre Dame

ahhhh! unbelievable... stuff here SMH!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT