ADVERTISEMENT

Perhaps the booing started here...

raycyrx

Irish Expert
Oct 22, 2002
I was shocked that the crowd booed the team off the field at the end of the half and the end of the game. I've been going to games since the Devine era and can't say I recall another time that happened.

Select the post game show and zoom to 1:07:40

I think we have found out where the booing started.

I wouldn't boo the team if I was there, but I could understand others doing it. These kids are getting paid now, so they are pros. The end of the first half is wrong as it was still a one score game.

Reactions: NDAyers
I saw booing before. Even snowballs thrown at the players and coaches. Th fans care, which is what we want, right?

:D

Jokes aside, the booing is appropriate. Genuine. And what good fans do when seeing a bad performance by athletes privileged to be paid and playing.

I laugh at holier-than-thou critics of passionate fans. They basically argue winning doesn't matter. Or appeal to authority by saying: the coaches know best and you're not an authority.

But good, knowledgeable, and genuine fans are constructively critical. Loyal too. No contradiction here.

Yesterday deserved boos. Total bust of a game. Like some said, criminal play calling and decision making.

I'll be here the rest of the season. The rest of my life. ND is a part of my life and I won't quit the Irish.

But this sucks.

What are your comments on the tweet read on the post game show?

Sorry, I didn't listen to it. It's 1 hour +. Can you give a synopsis?

I was commenting on booing in general.

I'm still trying to shake my bad mood from yesterday...as stop booing myself!

• Haha
Reactions: HarlemIrish
Sorry, I didn't listen to it. It's 1 hour +. Can you give a synopsis?

I was commenting on booing in general.

I'm still trying to shake my bad mood from yesterday...as stop booing myself!

That's why I said to zoom to the 1:07:20 mark. The relevant section is only a minute or two long.

Synopsis, someone who was sitting behind the ND bench said some players were interacting with the crowd. When the crowd told the players to focus on the game, the response was F-bombs and the bird.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
That's why I said to zoom to the 1:07:20 mark. The relevant section is only a minute or two long.

Synopsis, someone who was sitting behind the ND bench said some players were interacting with the crowd. When the crowd told the players to focus on the game, the response was F-bombs and the bird.

Well, not cool of course. But kids can be kids. More so when things are not going well. Not surprising.

This is coaching and culture. Reinforcing that something is not right.

Again, I believe the margins are small...a matter of coaching would see ND beat teams like NI easily enough, consistently. With the requisite discipline, preparation, and play calling.

I was shocked that the crowd booed the team off the field at the end of the half and the end of the game. I've been going to games since the Devine era and can't say I recall another time that happened.

They should have been louder!

It’s almost as if someone said here recently that in the era we’re now in, players are going to start getting booed more/easier. Shocking.

I think Rees and Book were booed.
Ian Book. Dude was 35-5 as a starter, navigated two undefeated regular seasons, and his teams made the 4-team CFB Playoff twice. If you booed IB, IMO, that was a you problem.

Tommy Rees as a QB took a lot of criticism. From all angles. So the booing would not surprise me there.

The booing started on the NIU sidelines about 2 minutes into the game.

I think Rees and Book were booed.
I don't remember Book being booed.

But there was one time when Kelly brought in Rees to sub in for Dayne Crist. I was in the crowd that day and it wasn't Rees getting booed, it was Kelly for making that decision.

I feel that is not at all comparable to the entire team getting booed off the field... twice in one game.

Reactions: tbonesays
The snowballs vs Syracuse was a myth. The fans had a snowball fight and few missed badly and landed on the field. Probably thrown by the older Clausen brothers.

Ian Book. Dude was 35-5 as a starter, navigated two undefeated regular seasons, and his teams made the 4-team CFB Playoff twice. If you booed IB, IMO, that was a you problem.

Tommy Rees as a QB took a lot of criticism. From all angles. So the booing would not surprise me there.
I can't remember the game but Ian ran for a touchdown (probably the winning score) after being maligned by the home crowd and he made some kind of gesture as if to say, "Now what do you think?" Someone with a better memory, please refresh mine.

You know what. Maybe the fans have had enough of the putrid product they see all the time. They pay a lot of money to watch a game live. I’m not someone who boos. But I have no issues with fans that do that. Especially now with “ we want to be paid “ athletes. Ok , you get paid. But you also take what goes with that. I would argue that any player for ND who got NIL money and played yesterday should give some back for not holding up their end of the bargain. I won’t hold my breath. You really want change ? Stop going and supporting lousy football year after year. Maybe an empty stadium for a season will get the attention of the administration. Maybe the NBC contract will not be renewed if that happens. People have power . But if the stands are filled and merchandise is sold , nothing will change. ND doesn’t have to sell out to win championships. But they do need an administration that understands that football is the ties that bind and football put the small midwestern university on the map. Right now they don’t care if the program wins. They are making big money , so why worry. Well when the money well dries up , then and only then is change for the better possible. Otherwise , what we saw yesterday will continue on and on .

The fans should be protesting outside the gug to get this clown out of town

I can't remember the game but Ian ran for a touchdown (probably the winning score) after being maligned by the home crowd and he made some kind of gesture as if to say, "Now what do you think?" Someone with a better memory, please refresh mine.
Maybe Virginia Tech?

Reactions: BGI User 756
I don’t remember Ian Book ever being booed in Notre Dame stadium.
Not in the stadium but from plenty of sofas around the country. I know you got a hard on for BK and Book and going to quote their W/L record against shite teams

Reactions: BGI User 756
You know what. Maybe the fans have had enough of the putrid product they see all the time. They pay a lot of money to watch a game live. I’m not someone who boos. But I have no issues with fans that do that. Especially now with “ we want to be paid “ athletes. Ok , you get paid. But you also take what goes with that. I would argue that any player for ND who got NIL money and played yesterday should give some back for not holding up their end of the bargain. I won’t hold my breath. You really want change ? Stop going and supporting lousy football year after year. Maybe an empty stadium for a season will get the attention of the administration. Maybe the NBC contract will not be renewed if that happens. People have power . But if the stands are filled and merchandise is sold , nothing will change. ND doesn’t have to sell out to win championships. But they do need an administration that understands that football is the ties that bind and football put the small midwestern university on the map. Right now they don’t care if the program wins. They are making big money , so why worry. Well when the money well dries up , then and only then is change for the better possible. Otherwise , what we saw yesterday will continue on and on .
Yeah, they shouldn't have to pay any of the money back. Unless it was part of their deal, these are just contracts. That's it. You got to make them performance based if that's what you want. Maybe they'll start doing that.

Va Tech game

Yeah, they shouldn't have to pay any of the money back. Unless it was part of their deal, these are just contracts. That's it. You got to make them performance based if that's what you want. Maybe they'll start doing that.
Savvy I was sort of being sarcastic about returning money. But I will say that if players want a payday, that’s fine. I have no problem with that. However, the other part of the equation is , you better play good and win. As a player making money , you sort of put yourself in a “ put up or shut up “ box. If your QB is getting a million dollars off of NIL and he plays like crap for 2 straight games, fans are going to vent their frustration. The fans pay big money to watch in person, so I can’t blame them for booing.

Savvy I was sort of being sarcastic about returning money. But I will say that if players want a payday, that’s fine. I have no problem with that. However, the other part of the equation is , you better play good and win. As a player making money , you sort of put yourself in a “ put up or shut up “ box. If your QB is getting a million dollars off of NIL and he plays like crap for 2 straight games, fans are going to vent their frustration. The fans pay big money to watch in person, so I can’t blame them for booing.
I cringe at the booing but I totally understand the frustration.

Reactions: tkirish
Not in the stadium but from plenty of sofas around the country. I know you got a hard on for BK and Book and going to quote their W/L record against shite teams
Ian Book beating shit teams, going 35-5, and making the 4 team playoff twice beats losing at home to Northern Illinois, Stanford, and Marshall.

Last edited:

This thread is not really staying on the topic I really wanted to discuss. I blame myself for bringing up the booing.

What its really about is the Irish players on the sidelines interacting with the crowd and when the crowd told them to focus on the game it got ugly with players throwing the F-bomb and the bird.

Where were the coaches and team Captains when this was happening?

This thread is not really staying on the topic I really wanted to discuss. I blame myself for bringing up the booing.

What its really about is the Irish players on the sidelines interacting with the crowd and when the crowd told them to focus on the game it got ugly with players throwing the F-bomb and the bird.

Probably doing the same thing!

Players have always done this. We just caught it last Saturday.

I played sports all my life in leagues before fans. Every now and then a teammate hit back against hecklers. Even our own fans on rare occasion when they got critical.

I follow soccer. Man, players have fought fans in the stands. :D Check out the recent Copa America in the USA, Colombia vs Uruguay.

I don't condone it. But I see nothing too out of the ordinary with ND here. Seems like the usual outlier, borne of frustration in losing to NI...hell, they care and feel it.

I agree with Reggie Brooks that a different QB should've been brought in to spark the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT