ADVERTISEMENT

Paige Comitted to USC

USC only requires NCAA minimums. In fact there have been articles written calling for USC to raise their standards for athletes, especially after the USC cheating scandal recently.
who cares! evertime there is something likes this ND plays the education card! But they recruite the same kids as everyone else! Sour grapes! Borin.

Reactions: chaseball
Yes but...... what are the admissions standards for USC compared to ND for athletes? And what are the majors available for athletes at USC compared to ND? And what are the rankings when you take out the small private Liberal arts colleges like Pomona Pitzer?
I was merely referring to ACADEMICS PER SE as the suggestion -- albeit made jokingly -- was that USC is an academically second rate institution which it clearly isn't.

My point was to show just how highly, in fact, it is rated as are also Stanford, UCLA and Cal.

ND dines out a lot -- and to my mind OFTEN EXORBITANTLY -- on its academics. However, just as it isn't the premier CFB program, it's also not in a class by itself academically.

Yet, as I see it, the same SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT that attaches to the football program is also present on the academic side, leading to a tendency to LOOK DOWN ON other institutions.

But again -- and for the record -- Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt and Rice all ranked ahead of ND in the most recent US News & World Report National Universities Survey.

As for the Pomona's of the world, they are surveyed SEPARATELY and do not appear in the National University rankings I'm referencing and, accordingly, have no effect.

Regarding majors available to football players and other athletes, I believe ND's approach is not only SELF-DEFEATINGLY ELITIST but completely out of touch with where the sport is headed.

Whereas what academically highly ranked schools such as USC and Florida are doing strikes me as EMINENTLY SENSIBLE. You accommodate and modify as necessary and with LITTLE TO NO LOSS OF ACADEMIC RANKING.

The shackles ND wears are completley HOMEMADE but, apparently, not too high a price to pay for what it regards as its TRANSCENDENT MISSION.

And you believe that SC admissions has the same standards as ND for athletes? I dont really know, but I have never heard "They couldn't get OJ in because of his high school transcripts". You hear that with Northwestern, the academy's, Stanford and Notre Dame. I just dont think that USC has the same admissions rules ND does for Football but I could be wrong.

There used to be a rating of Top 25 schools and their academic rating. ND usually was number 1. Navy, Stanford and a few others. I just dont remember USC being in that list but maybe.
I would GUESS that USC has laxer admissions standards for football than ND. Logic would certainly suggest it.

But as I pointed out in another post, I was merely referring to USC the educational institution. It's consistently highly ranked.

My sense is that ND people often tend to downgrade other institutuions academically simply because they let in -- let's call it -- UNQUALIFIED STUDENT-ATHLETES.

Yet, having highly rated academics while running a "football factory" is entirely DOABLE.

Not only USC, but Florida does it. As do, to a lesser extent, Texas, Wisconsin and Georgia.

USC only requires NCAA minimums. In fact there have been articles written calling for USC to raise their standards for athletes, especially after the USC cheating scandal recently.
Which recent USC cheating scandal? There have been many.

• Haha
Reactions: NDblitz
I was merely referring to ACADEMICS PER SE as the suggestion -- albeit made jokingly -- was that USC is an academically second rate institution which it clearly isn't.

My point was to show just how highly, in fact, it is rated as are also Stanford, UCLA and Cal.

ND dines out a lot -- and to my mind OFTEN EXORBITANTLY -- on its academics. However, just as it isn't the premier CFB program, it's also not in a class by itself academically.

Yet, as I see it, the same SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT that attaches to the football program is also present on the academic side, leading to a tendency to LOOK DOWN ON other institutions.

But again -- and for the record -- Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt and Rice all ranked ahead of ND in the most recent US News & World Report National Universities Survey.

As for the Pomona's of the world, they are surveyed SEPARATELY and do not appear in the National University rankings I'm referencing and, accordingly, have no effect.

Regarding majors available to football players and other athletes, I believe ND's approach is not only SELF-DEFEATINGLY ELITIST but completely out of touch with where the sport is headed.

Whereas what academically highly ranked schools such as USC and Florida are doing strikes me as EMINENTLY SENSIBLE. You accommodate and modify as necessary and with LITTLE TO NO LOSS OF ACADEMIC RANKING.

The shackles ND wears are completley HOMEMADE but, apparently, not too high a price to pay for what it regards as its TRANSCENDENT MISSION.
And we do offer film and tv along with a couple other bullshit majors

UGA used to be a very average degree. Then The hope scholarship came along. If you have a 3.0 in high school you get most of your education paid for. If you have a 3.5 more and a 4.0 is a full ride. So parents of really smart kids that used to send kids out of state sent them to UGA. Now it’s next to impossible to get in and it’s standards are high. Just not for the football team. It’s paid for by the state lottery ticket sales and both of my kids now have a 4 year degree and I paid almost nothing.

UGA used to be a very average degree. Then The hope scholarship came along. If you have a 3.0 in high school you get most of your education paid for. If you have a 3.5 more and a 4.0 is a full ride. So parents of really smart kids that used to send kids out of state sent them to UGA. Now it’s next to impossible to get in and it’s standards are high. Just not for the football team. It’s paid for by the state lottery ticket sales and both of my kids now have a 4 year degree and I paid almost nothing.
Public Universities all across the nation are doing that and taking kids that would have gone to high tier private schools. But there is a cost. IF the state taxpayer is giving scholarships to the A students, the B and C students have to make up the difference. Except they are less likely to get the good jobs out of school so their debt falls on the US taxpayer.

Public Universities all across the nation are doing that and taking kids that would have gone to high tier private schools. But there is a cost. IF the state taxpayer is giving scholarships to the A students, the B and C students have to make up the difference. Except they are less likely to get the good jobs out of school so their debt falls on the US taxpayer.
Of course you’re right. But not under the current administration 😂😂. As you know the B students parents press their sons and daughters teachers for an upgrade to A. And why not with cost of college education today. Lots get the A then lose their scholarships later in college by not keeping their grades up. That said I completely agree with your point.

Reactions: tbonesays
This is why I tell my kids. Go to a JC then transfer to a UC. Don’t waste your/my money on bloated over inflated private colleges. ND included btw.

This is why I tell my kids. Go to a JC then transfer to a UC. Don’t waste your/my money on bloated over inflated private colleges. ND included btw.
Well, the issue there, at least at SC is the contacts you get a;long the way.

I would GUESS that USC has laxer admissions standards for football than ND. Logic would certainly suggest it.

But as I pointed out in another post, I was merely referring to USC the educational institution. It's consistently highly ranked.

My sense is that ND people often tend to downgrade other institutuions academically simply because they let in -- let's call it -- UNQUALIFIED STUDENT-ATHLETES.

Yet, having highly rated academics while running a "football factory" is entirely DOABLE.

Not only USC, but Florida does it. As do, to a lesser extent, Texas, Wisconsin and Georgia.
UNC and Duke in hoops

Reactions: 4-4-3

Not sure what other states do, but in Georgia it was the state lottery that funded it. Not taxes.

Not sure what other states do, but in Georgia it was the state lottery that funded it. Not taxes.
A colleges, both public and private, are dependent on students signing off on those loan forms without much thought. They can sign because the US taxpayer is ultimately responsible.

Reactions: IRISHWON-1
It makes ND look terrible, and deeply backwards and exploitative, which I guess they're determined to do until the bitter end. The NCAA was totally busted and truly was exposed and delegitimized by the SCOTUS, for the plantation system that they've foisted upon and exploited the players with all these years. And ND's loyalties apparently still lie with that deeply corrupt and iniquitous institution, and not the players, and not even the simple law of the land. They scorn that as well.
That’s about as dumb of a statement that anyone could make given ND’s history with the NCAA
It's an absolutely awful look for ND to be all goody too shoes about adhering to this genuinely iniquitous rules regime. It makes them look like being goody too shoes is really the only thing they care about, and there's no morality there. It's just their brand, and that's all it ever was. Just being goody too shoes, and being holier than thou, that's all ND's ever really been about.....
Another incredibly dumb statement

ADVERTISEMENT