ADVERTISEMENT

Paige Comitted to USC

Not sure. Some say he might flip, but I think there is no chance. This is banter based solely on wishful thinking.
hard to flip if you got a big nli bankroll to commit! hope he put it in a savings account, but I doubt it!

hard to flip if you got a big nli bankroll to commit! hope he put it in a savings account, but I doubt it!
True. I just haven't heard from anyone who I trust that there is anyway it will happen. Doesn't mean it won'st just that it would be one heck of a surprise to me if it did.

Doesn't ND have a big NIL bankroll? I thought we had that collective going. Now I realize that ND, if they're dead set on being a good little Boy Scout, and not using NIL as a direct recruiting tool as per the rules of the hated and totally delegitimized NCAA, and so no front-loaded guarantees and inducements to HS prospects, would still have tons of money to hand out, and you simply have to get on the team first, and establish your good standing within the program, and then you get it. The point being you can still get good NIL money as a ND player, but you have to do it their way and no signing bonuses. Or something like that....

Anyone have any info on what I would assume is ND's highly discreet NIL slush fund? They announced that they had one, so we know they have one.....

Doesn't ND have a big NIL bankroll? I thought we had that collective going. Now I realize that ND, if they're dead set on being a good little Boy Scout, and not using NIL as a direct recruiting tool as per the rules of the hated and totally delegitimized NCAA, and so no front-loaded guarantees and inducements to HS prospects, would still have tons of money to hand out, and you simply have to get on the team first, and establish your good standing within the program, and then you get it. The point being you can still get good NIL money as a ND player, but you have to do it their way and no signing bonuses. Or something like that....

Anyone have any info on what I would assume is ND's highly discreet NIL slush fund? They announced that they had one, so we know they have one.....
We dont use it to get recruits to sign here. Thats against the rules. Other schools do. Thats the big difference

Still a conspiracy theorist I see

It makes ND look terrible, and deeply backwards and exploitative, which I guess they're determined to do until the bitter end. The NCAA was totally busted and truly was exposed and delegitimized by the SCOTUS, for the plantation system that they've foisted upon and exploited the players with all these years. And ND's loyalties apparently still lie with that deeply corrupt and iniquitous institution, and not the players, and not even the simple law of the land. They scorn that as well.

It's an absolutely awful look for ND to be all goody too shoes about adhering to this genuinely iniquitous rules regime. It makes them look like being goody too shoes is really the only thing they care about, and there's no morality there. It's just their brand, and that's all it ever was. Just being goody too shoes, and being holier than thou, that's all ND's ever really been about.....

Reactions: TheSodFather
My dad always said “son, if you can’t go to college, at least go to USC!” Just kidding 😂
For the record, ND was ACADEMICALLY ranked 19th this year by US News & World Report and USC, 25th. Not exactly a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE.

And even more interestingly, USC has ranked AHEAD of ND a number of times in this same survey.

Also of interest, Cal is 20th, UCLA, 21st and Stanford tied for 3rd with Harvard and Yale.

Reactions: Rionegro
For the record, ND was ACADEMICALLY ranked 19th this year by US News & World Report and USC, 25th. Not exactly a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE.

And even more interestingly, USC has ranked AHEAD of ND a number of times in this same survey.

Also of interest, Cal is 20th, UCLA, 21st and Stanford tied for 3rd with Harvard and Yale.
It was a joke.

I have to agree with the cynics regarding ND and moral hypocrisy around NIL.

I've posted on other threads that this is not the issue on which to take a so called moral stand. What's so moral about denying athletes a share of what they're earning a university that apparently has no trouble reaping its share of participation in such an allegedly immoral enterprise that is NCAA football? Geez.

I'm a lifelong and committed Catholic. Went to Catholic grammar school, highs school, and graduated a Jesuit U. But I have to laugh at this in the context of the some checkered Catholic history. Heck, I'll randomly bring up the sex scandals, which the Church is atoning for of course...but in lieu of things like this, I ask: NIL, academic accommodation, and transfer policies is where Catholic leadership at ND is drawing the line?

I'm addicted to ND football as a subway fan. I got to experience the glory that was, this being a substantive sub-culture. But young fans might abandon a new culture that doesn't give them any reason to be fans...as ND once combined football excellence, Catholic branding, and academic excellence to attract the support of non-ND graduates.

Fine, the graduates of ND can promote the holier-than-thou stand that started during the latter part of the Holtz era. But you'll eventually lose the mass support outside the alumni. And, to be sure, that can be fine...it is what it is. Not everything in life is football, so be happy with integrity.

Yes, I'm being a little sarcastic on that last point.

I have to agree with the cynics regarding ND and moral hypocrisy around NIL.

I've posted on other threads that this is not the issue on which to take a so called moral stand. What's so moral about denying athletes a share of what they're earning a university that apparently has no trouble reaping its share of participation in such an allegedly immoral enterprise that is NCAA football? Geez.

I'm a lifelong and committed Catholic. Went to Catholic grammar school, highs school, and graduated a Jesuit U. But I have to laugh at this in the context of the some checkered Catholic history. Heck, I'll randomly bring up the sex scandals, which the Church is atoning for of course...but in lieu of things like this, I ask: NIL, academic accommodation, and transfer policies is where Catholic leadership at ND is drawing the line?

I'm addicted to ND football as a subway fan. I got to experience the glory that was, this being a substantive sub-culture. But young fans might abandon a new culture that doesn't give them any reason to be fans...as ND once combined football excellence, Catholic branding, and academic excellence to attract the support of non-ND graduates.

Fine, the graduates of ND can promote the holier-than-thou stand that started during the latter part of the Holtz era. But you'll eventually lose the mass support outside the alumni. And, to be sure, that can be fine...it is what it is. Not everything in life is football, so be happy with integrity.

Yes, I'm being a little sarcastic on that last point.
So have you and savvy moved in together?

how bad was Helton’s staff?

this is the 1st consensus 4* OL since 2019! at USC!

Yes but...... what are the admissions standards for USC compared to ND for athletes? And what are the majors available for athletes at USC compared to ND? And what are the rankings when you take out the small private Liberal arts colleges like Pomona Pitzer?

how bad was Helton’s staff?

this is the 1st consensus 4* OL since 2019! at USC!
People have no idea how bad Helton was. He actually coached softness, days off, ice cream parties etc. Didn't even use all of the extra practices you get with a bowl game. That is one reason I think anyone who sees SC as a playoff team is nuts. I don't care if you are is you name is Kunute Pop Bear Dabo Saban, NO ONE can turn it around that far in one year.

Reactions: d1042
His committing to SC not a real surprise. When winning SC's always owned the West Coast kids. With their improved play I would expect them to move right up the recruiting rankings as time goes on.

and people looking at his (Helton) team this year, better consider the c/o from prior staffs, the longer Helton is around the softer the team will get! GSU fans have no idea what is headed their way!

His committing to SC not a real surprise. When winning SC's always owned the West Coast kids. With their improved play I would expect them to move right up the recruiting rankings as time goes on.
Marcus Freeman has out recruited Lincoln Riley.

Even with stronger academic requirements in South Bend, less desirable weather, and being in a state with far less elite HS FB talent.

And it isn't close.

People have no idea how bad Helton was. He actually coached softness, days off, ice cream parties etc. Didn't even use all of the extra practices you get with a bowl game. That is one reason I think anyone who sees SC as a playoff team is nuts. I don't care if you are is you name is Kunute Pop Bear Dabo Saban, NO ONE can turn it around that far in one year.
Its all because schedule

SC reminds me a lot of UNC. But a Better QB probably deeper at WR but Downs, Green and Jones would be starters there for sure. SC has played NOBODY so far. They've struggled with Stanford (okay team), Oregon State (decent team) and ASU (bad team). They have gotten 6-7 turnovers that were not great defensive plays but offensive blunders. Including three pick 6 that were volleyball bats by a wide open WR. Two unforced red zone fumbles. Stanford was on the one I believe and dropped a handoff. That would have given them 35 points. Oregon State turned it over 4 times. USC I think had one turnover. It was a three point game. Their entire offense is Caleb Williams running around and making plays with his feet or throwing on the scramble. When forced to throw on rhythm they are very unsuccessful compared to when he is free lancing. They don't play Washington or Oregon. They have Utah UCLA and ND left who are nowhere near the caliber of probably 3-4 Big 10 teams or half the SEC. Clemson front 7 would send Williams to the emergency room.

Last edited:

Even with stronger academic requirements in South Bend, less desirable weather, and being in a state with far less elite HS FB talent.

And it isn't close.
Has Freemen had a recruiting class? When did that happen?

Reactions: d1042

And you believe that SC admissions has the same standards as ND for athletes? I dont really know, but I have never heard "They couldn't get OJ in because of his high school transcripts". You hear that with Northwestern, the academy's, Stanford and Notre Dame. I just dont think that USC has the same admissions rules ND does for Football but I could be wrong.

There used to be a rating of Top 25 schools and their academic rating. ND usually was number 1. Navy, Stanford and a few others. I just dont remember USC being in that list but maybe.

And you believe that SC admissions has the same standards as ND for athletes? I dont really know, but I have never heard "They couldn't get OJ in because of his high school transcripts". You hear that with Northwestern, the academy's, Stanford and Notre Dame. I just dont think that USC has the same admissions rules ND does for Football but I could be wrong.

There used to be a rating of Top 25 schools and their academic rating. ND usually was number 1. Navy, Stanford and a few others. I just dont remember USC being in that list but maybe.
Funny, they seem to offer many of the same athletes!

And it isn't close.

And it isn't close.
I was speaking about West Coast kids when SC is winning. I’ve made no mention of Riley nor compared him vs Marcus Freeman in recruiting. Clearly Freeman & team are having an outstanding recruiting year. I only hope it improves as the season progresses. I have no love for SC nor Riley or any other team outside of ND. My comments were just a follow up to what the moderator posted.

SC has lost players because they couldn't qualify but SC's admission standards for athletes are not as high as ND's.

I was speaking about West Coast kids when SC is winning. I’ve made no mention of Riley nor compared him vs Marcus Freeman in recruiting. Clearly Freeman & team are having an outstanding recruiting year. I only hope it improves as the season progresses. I have no love for SC nor Riley or any other team outside of ND. My comments were just a follow up to what the moderator posted.
No one has an outstanding recruiting year until the kids have signed and recruiting as closed. It like being ahead in the second quarter. There are also a coupe of ways to look at recruiting. You can look at the points on a website. That is easy and there is nothing wrong with it. But you can also look at need. Posters here often comment how SC gets great skill players but not enough linemen and that is true. If we have four five stat QBs in a class we will score well but will that help the team win?

Anyway Foreman has done a great job recruiting and he may end up out recruiting Riley. We will know in February.

No one has an outstanding recruiting year until the kids have signed and recruiting as closed. It like being ahead in the second quarter. There are also a coupe of ways to look at recruiting. You can look at the points on a website. That is easy and there is nothing wrong with it. But you can also look at need. Posters here often comment how SC gets great skill players but not enough linemen and that is true. If we have four five stat QBs in a class we will score well but will that help the team win?

Anyway Foreman has done a great job recruiting and he may end up out recruiting Riley. We will know in February.
Yes much more will be known in February. Then even more later with the transfer portal.

SC has lost players because they couldn't qualify but SC's admission standards for athletes are not as high as ND's.

Thx Beach. That feels right. I would take you as the expert.

No argument that USC is a top school. California has many top schools, no doubt.

Funny, they seem to offer many of the same athletes!

Yes, there are many athletes we both recruit because they are top athletes, not because they are top students. Kyle Hamilton and Tyler Bucher where both recruited by USC and Alabama. When they happen to be both, they are a target of ND. I'm going out on a limb here that all ND recruits that are 4 or 5 star would meet SCs admissions but not all of SCs 4/5 start recruits would meet ND's.

No disrespect for USC as an academic school, they are top notch.

USC only requires NCAA minimums. In fact there have been articles written calling for USC to raise their standards for athletes, especially after the USC cheating scandal recently.

Reactions: Classic Irish
ADVERTISEMENT