ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Untold: Johnny Football (Netflix Johnny Manziel Documentary, 2023)

Yes…tell me something new

It was obvious he made a lot of money on autographs, the oil money excuse exposed how little the MSM would dig for info, and the other kid taking piss tests was also known

But the NCAA uses the same investigators as the WH looking for who left the cocaine

It was obvious he made a lot of money on autographs, the oil money excuse exposed how little the MSM would dig for info, and the other kid taking piss tests was also known

But the NCAA uses the same investigators as the WH looking for who left the cocaine
Tell that to Reggie Bush, Pete Carroll, and USC Football.

They may disagree.

based on years of observation, you are giving the NCAA too much credit for either competency or honesty.

Reactions: BGI User 756

It seems highly likely the TAMU coaching staff knew what was going on with Manziel, but managed to keep a lid on it. Had those things become public, Manti Teo would have been hoisting the Heisman Trophy instead of Johnny Football. But of course the Manti catfishing story became front page news soon thereafter, which might have taken a little shine off the trophy. The difference, I suppose, is that Manti was a victim and Manziel was just a highly talented football player who was also a clever con man and manipulator.

I can’t believe Manti Te’o lost the Heisman to that guy. Such a jackass.

Last edited:
Reactions: chaseball
More color but not much new info, manziel was a gifted and confident athlete. Thanks to media he became too big to fail … A&M is still benefitting from the after effects, the NCAA look like hypocrites and/or fools. Pretty clear the NCAA didn’t want to completely blow the lid off this while it was happening but couldn’t wait until the college version of Johnny Football was over. Pretty amazing how far he was able to ride his talent and confidence and not surprising that he couldn’t take the next step to the NFL.

Pretty amazing his natural ability was so that he didn’t have to work, watch tape, etc like many others to win the Heisman, get drafted 1st round. And we’re not talking Cam Newton type of ability, a guy who wasn’t highly recruited, a 5’11/190 lb white dude. Fun to watch, hard to watch the fall but he made his bed.

Pretty amazing his natural ability was so that he didn’t have to work, watch tape, etc like many others to win the Heisman, get drafted 1st round. And we’re not talking Cam Newton type of ability, a guy who wasn’t highly recruited, a 5’11/190 lb white dude. Fun to watch, hard to watch the fall but he made his bed.
Says a lot about Kingsbury as an OC as well.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Manziel came across as massively conceited and incredibly immature. It is no wonder he has no friends. And it is likewise no wonder he was a complete flame out in the NFL.
True, but there was a lot to take away from that documentary:

- He was a kid that overnight became a household name - everything thrust upon him without prep, awareness, etc. Give almost any 18 year old all of that temptation and they will be in trouble without great parents, support, etc.

- Clearly the school did not help him much - they pointed out how ill prepared they were to handle such a media onslaught.

- He made it pretty clear that being a NFL player was never even in his mind - he was a pretty simple Texas kid who wanted to party.

- To me, the parents seemed a bit "deer in the headlights" as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT