ADVERTISEMENT

OT Stock Market

I've got some clarity here too.

;)

2008 was a perfect storm concocted by government, Wall Street, ratings agencies, the Fed, and, yes, Main Street.

Bush and Greenspan colluded to keep rates low after dot com. Previously Clinton repealed Glass Steagall and pressured banks to lower lending standards. So you had a flood of cheap money, easy lending, and suddenly hi risk instruments on commercial bank books. Main Street took the money and ran! Ratings agencies failed to detect toxic derivatives on books.

I remember being outbid by people with no money. Hub caps dangling off their tires. I had some money and had to protect it, whereas they with no risk could afford bankruptcy. Our society betrayed savers.

So 2008 happened. But ironically more money had to be printed, yes a bailout. Bernanke did his PhD on the Great Depression and avoided collapsing the banking system, too big to fail. And many banks actually paid the money back. Bush Jr and Obama had no choice but to encourage the Fed with more stimulus...ironically, much of it wasn't lent out, staying on bank books as reserves.

Icing on the cake: COVID!!! Even more money was printed than in 2008! It was actually given out, hence inflation and the 134% debt:gdp ratio.

So here we are. Paying the piper. Foreigners acquire more of our assets underwriting our debt. They're now buying the best ND stadium tickets!

:D

We need to pare down the debt:gdp ratio while getting Americans into higher end work to addressed skewing distribution of income and wealth. Yes, you better believe I follow all this...SEEKING ALPHA, as I like to make a buck.
This is a great post!!!!

Reactions: BGI User 756
And keep your eye on the gifts the market gives you.
I picked up CRWD at $80 a share, I picked up tesla $112 a share sold that at $270

And I made $40,000 on Game stop....well it was my money and 2 friend guides me through it. I could of made alot more but I got greedy

Reactions: BGI User 756
Libs? Showing once again just how naive one can be. Libs; spoken like a true child; Perhaps it's time for you to grow up a bit. As for the $2.21 price, you might recall we were in a pandemic, and nobody was driving. It was in all the papers, guess you missed it. Definitely childish
lol. When in the pandemic in 2020, had was lower at $1.50/gal. Try to keep up. I know it’s difficult when CNN keeps telling you not to believe your own eyes and ears

I've got some clarity here too.

;)

2008 was a perfect storm concocted by government, Wall Street, ratings agencies, the Fed, and, yes, Main Street.

Bush and Greenspan colluded to keep rates low after dot com. Previously Clinton repealed Glass Steagall and pressured banks to lower lending standards. So you had a flood of cheap money, easy lending, and suddenly hi risk instruments on commercial bank books. Main Street took the money and ran! Ratings agencies failed to detect toxic derivatives on books.

I remember being outbid by people with no money. Hub caps dangling off their tires. I had some money and had to protect it, whereas they with no risk could afford bankruptcy. Our society betrayed savers.

So 2008 happened. But ironically more money had to be printed, yes a bailout. Bernanke did his PhD on the Great Depression and avoided collapsing the banking system, too big to fail. And many banks actually paid the money back. Bush Jr and Obama had no choice but to encourage the Fed with more stimulus...ironically, much of it wasn't lent out, staying on bank books as reserves.

Icing on the cake: COVID!!! Even more money was printed than in 2008! It was actually given out, hence inflation and the 134% debt:gdp ratio.

So here we are. Paying the piper. Foreigners acquire more of our assets underwriting our debt. They're now buying the best ND stadium tickets!

:D

We need to pare down the debt:gdp ratio while getting Americans into higher end work to addressed skewing distribution of income and wealth. Yes, you better believe I follow all this...SEEKING ALPHA, as I like to make a buck.
True. When will we stop screwing the future generations?

Reactions: deadirishpoet
We’ve had irresponsible spending dating back to George W Bush, and I fault both parties. It seems the only difference is what they want to spend money on, not a difference between fiscal responsibility and irresponsibility. The Wall Street Journal had this lead in for an opinion piece two days ago:

Total federal government spending was $4.4 trillion in fiscal 2019. Four years later, in 2023, Washington spent about $6.4 trillion. The federal debt has surpassed $33 trillion, and the deficit for 2023 alone approached $2 trillion. Federal spending, deficits and debt are out of control, as is the dysfunctional appropriations process that facilitates spending.

Personally, I think the focus should be on our debt as a percent of GDP. 75% for example, would be a healthy percentage. Last I looked, we were around 107%. At a minimum, we need to pass balanced budgets annually Until our growth in GDP moves this percentages to a healthy level. We can and should debate whether this is best accomplished with spending freezes or cuts or selective tax increases, etc…

Neither Of the presumed nominees have it in their DNA to do what needs to be done, and both have shown a gutless response to the fiscal Cliff facing Social Security and Medicare. Every responsible approach to solving the soon to be realized insolvency of these two programs specifically, and the larger Federal Deficit generally is met with outlandish political scare hyperbole repeated 24/7 by opinion media that charades as news. We The People need to reject and demand better.

The CPI is NOT up 39% since January 2021. It is up roughly 18%.

261.582 in January 2021. 307.789 in September 2023 (most recent figure). Here is the chart:

chart

Much of the huge up tick in inflation was due to Covid messing up world-wide supply chains. And as others have noted, inflation infecting almost every country was not caused by actions of the United States.

Your argument might be stronger if you didn't resort to making up numbers.

Good call out. That was intended to be 19% (delta is 18.4), wasn’t making up numbers.

We’ve had irresponsible spending dating back to George W Bush, and I fault both parties. It seems the only difference is what they want to spend money on, not a difference between fiscal responsibility and irresponsibility. The Wall Street Journal had this lead in for an opinion piece two days ago:

Total federal government spending was $4.4 trillion in fiscal 2019. Four years later, in 2023, Washington spent about $6.4 trillion. The federal debt has surpassed $33 trillion, and the deficit for 2023 alone approached $2 trillion. Federal spending, deficits and debt are out of control, as is the dysfunctional appropriations process that facilitates spending.

Personally, I think the focus should be on our debt as a percent of GDP. 75% for example, would be a healthy percentage. Last I looked, we were around 107%. At a minimum, we need to pass balanced budgets annually Until our growth in GDP moves this percentages to a healthy level. We can and should debate whether this is best accomplished with spending freezes or cuts or selective tax increases, etc…

Neither Of the presumed nominees have it in their DNA to do what needs to be done, and both have shown a gutless response to the fiscal Cliff facing Social Security and Medicare. Every responsible approach to solving the soon to be realized insolvency of these two programs specifically, and the larger Federal Deficit generally is met with outlandish political scare hyperbole repeated 24/7 by opinion media that charades as news. We The People need to reject and demand better.
BINGO
Also Bush was a big spending liberal

I spent 25 yrs in the USMC not alot of money making there. When I was state side I'd work a part time job
I put money into an IRA every pay period.....its a discipline I can thank my parents for

Nice!

BTW: I was an active duty US Army officer for a few years. I actually learned investing from fellow officers. I recall signing up with front end mutual funds, 1 for an IRA, 1 for a regular account.

In each I put in $166.66/month. Max IRA was $2k annually. So I was putting in $4k on that alone. Managed to Dave some cash too. I did this when my pay as a 2nd LT started at $15,140 in 1989.

That money has grown into a considerable nest egg. I continued to always invest after I left the military. I spent my 20s living frugally. Somebody recently said it best: it's easier to be frugal in your youth than in your old age.

I wasn't cheap. But I did mostly eat at home, see the world on military or corporate duty, drove cars forever. Only when I got a solid foundation did I splurge...always buying efficiently, always investing.

I do pro bono financial consulting today. Mostly to find collaborators in investing. Again, it's hard to find folks interested in this...even the ones I help. I guess behavioral finance is a real discipline.

Reactions: notredame79

I'm not sure what it will take to break the current obsession with extreme partisan and identity politics. But these definitely obfuscate economic and personal financial issues. A lot of people dwell on politics, taking opportunity costs regarding their education, careers, and money management.

I also would like a 75% debt:gdp ratio. It's actually now around 134%. With deep deficit, getting worse. We still are good for it...but the more debt the more uneven distribution of income and wealth...a consequence of foreign creditors funding the debt and increasingly owning our financial instruments.

I doubt we have the grass roots political and cultural will to change things. I look around and still see packed stadiums, restaurants, great cars, and vacation sites. Household consumer debt last I checked is against rising and high. We keep seeming consuming without a regard for debt.

I wish we had a cultural makeover. Teach personal finance all 4 years in HS. Simulate investing, crashes, booms, marriage, divorce, sickness, job loss, death. There is software for this.

Nice!

BTW: I was an active duty US Army officer for a few years. I actually learned investing from fellow officers. I recall signing up with front end mutual funds, 1 for an IRA, 1 for a regular account.

In each I put in $166.66/month. Max IRA was $2k annually. So I was putting in $4k on that alone. Managed to Dave some cash too. I did this when my pay as a 2nd LT started at $15,140 in 1989.

That money has grown into a considerable nest egg. I continued to always invest after I left the military. I spent my 20s living frugally. Somebody recently said it best: it's easier to be frugal in your youth than in your old age.

I wasn't cheap. But I did mostly eat at home, see the world on military or corporate duty, drove cars forever. Only when I got a solid foundation did I splurge...always buying efficiently, always investing.

I do pro bono financial consulting today. Mostly to find collaborators in investing. Again, it's hard to find folks interested in this...even the ones I help. I guess behavioral finance is a real discipline.
You would think the need would be greater.
My brother inlaw (CPA) background took all the money i had $ 5000 and purchased Apple stock at $24 a share in 1980. after that I did little not knowing what that would grow into with all the spilts
To be frank I would put money into 10 yr
treasury because I had no idea what to do missing out on some great opportunities
Since my retirement (2005) i became a driller (CPT) type and have been figuring it out taking some lumps learning and making better choices.
I wish there was someone like you in the military giving advice when I was in.
I'm sure I wasn't the only one thinking bout it

Last edited:
Reactions: banmate6
7.5% is
Nothing back to normal in NYC. First time homebuyers really feeling the pinch. Rates on a 30 year over 7.5? Good for CD's and savers. Funny thing up here is watching Eric Adams pleading for immigrants to stop coming. Funny when it was Texas's problem then NYC was a sanctuary city. Now when NYC is providing 3 hots & a cot then it's Mi casa aint tu casa.

Nothing back to normal in NYC. First time homebuyers really feeling the pinch. Rates on a 30 year over 7.5? Good for CD's and savers. Funny thing up here is watching Eric Adams pleading for immigrants to stop coming. Funny when it was Texas's problem then NYC was a sanctuary city. Now when NYC is providing 3 hots & a cot then it's Mi casa aint tu casa.
7.5% is a joke. It was 12% in 1984 when I bought my first house. I live all the bitching about 7.5
Call it whatever you like. Its all the same shit.( green environmental wasted money). They name it these things realizing that stupid people will believe its an infrastructure bill when in reality its green garbage, all it did was raise inflation. Did you get your economics degree from Boston U like your idol AOC. You both need to go back to school or at least read a book on economics.
Nice job not even addressing the $2 trillion. For the record, AOC is far from my idol. Assuming your a Trump supporter, your guy added $7 trillion to the debt, his administration started the Covid payments. You forget that part?
As for the green new deal, the basis for going green is admirable, as was the industrial revolution in its time, and unless you leave in the woods there are thousands of infrastructure projects going on all over this country. You oughta get out of the house more. BTW, it was Trump who consistently talked about "infrastructure week" to which he was full of shit on that to. It's problem in the same draw with his health plan, or all those Mexican pesos that were paying for the wall.

lol. When in the pandemic in 2020, had was lower at $1.50/gal. Try to keep up. I know it’s difficult when CNN keeps telling you not to believe your own eyes and ears
It started in 2019, you know Covid-19, remember that, or your probably with Kelly Ann saying there were 19 of them. Maybe it's you who should keep up. Sucks being an uninformed cult following sheep, doesn't it?

7.5% is

7.5% is a joke. It was 12% in 1984 when I bought my first house. I live all the bitching about 7.5

Nice job not even addressing the $2 trillion. For the record, AOC is far from my idol. Assuming your a Trump supporter, your guy added $7 trillion to the debt, his administration started the Covid payments. You forget that part?
As for the green new deal, the basis for going green is admirable, as was the industrial revolution in its time, and unless you leave in the woods there are thousands of infrastructure projects going on all over this country. You oughta get out of the house more. BTW, it was Trump who consistently talked about "infrastructure week" to which he was full of shit on that to. It's problem in the same draw with his health plan, or all those Mexican pesos that were paying for the wall.
"for the green new deal, the basis for going green is admirable, " maybe before it was known there's no place safe to put the expired Lytham batteries, solar panels, ect and the manor the minerals are extracted.
Now its creating a new environmental nightmare.
Nuclear is the only green energy that can help the population. as side from hydrogen the rest are big money scans

"for the green new deal, the basis for going green is admirable, " maybe before it was known there's no place safe to put the expired Lytham batteries, solar panels, ect and the manor the minerals are extracted.
Now its creating a new environmental nightmare.
Nuclear is the only green energy that can help the population. as side from hydrogen the rest are big money scans
IYHO ... plenty of well educated scientists and environmentalist disagree

Reactions: ivan brunetti
Yeah it's the President's fault. Jesus Christ is every freaking thing political? You do realize that our inflation rate is lower than all the other developed countries, yes? And unemployment is at a consistent all time low, yes?
“Jesus Christ”
“Freaking”

Settle down. You sound like a real jerk.

The economy is stagnant. The market is stuck in the mud. Now go ahead and make excuses that aren’t relevant.

I made good-hearted comments, replying to DIP. You got angry and fired up. Stay away from me, if your comments are going to be adversarial.

I know there was a post sometime ago, but I can't find it.
First im not a broker or market manager but I learned from gains and loses how to hedge my bets
This market the past 24 months is like nothing I've experienced before in fact you have to be a bit of a day trader which I have found out is quite profitable in today's market
I'm just looking for others opinions in this market today
BTW....stay away from IPO's.....they are not what they use to be

I don’t day trade and I mix dividend stocks with non-div growth. I’m not a broker so maybe opinion and not advice.

I buy a small amount each month. It’s hard to time but history shows over the long haul it grows. So you dollar cost average.

It’s not been good, we erased all gains since Jan. But Covid it was way down so hopefully you bought.

That’s about the extent of any stock wisdom I have.

I almost jumped in with comments about my Tesla, etc… but can’t do this on Notre Dame vs USC GAME DAY!

I don’t day trade and I mix dividend stocks with non-div growth. I’m not a broker so maybe opinion and not advice.

I buy a small amount each month. It’s hard to time but history shows over the long haul it grows. So you dollar cost average.

It’s not been good, we erased all gains since Jan. But Covid it was way down so hopefully you bought.

That’s about the extent of any stock wisdom I have.
Charles Payne brought that plan up in his book Unstoppable Prosperity.
I look at the the Staple companies not doing well and I picked up Target (TGT) they took a policy hit with the public at $103.9 its now $111.8 with alot of room to grow

Reactions: IrishMike409
Charles Payne brought that plan up in his book Unstoppable Prosperity.
I look at the the Staple companies not doing well and I picked up Target (TGT) they took a policy hit with the public at $103.9 its now $111.8 with alot of room to grow

Buy what you know and use. I’d also buy a few index funds. QQQ, SPY, DIA.

Those run with the market.

I don’t by bonds, ever. Never ever. But that’s me.

I do ladder CD’s for cash. It’s great to have cash on hand for things like Covid or the 3k run down.

But I just steady buy. Another trick I learned is sell the night before but never buy the night before. The first hour of trading is known as amateur hour by traders. It’s always the highest at the start. 10:30 to 11 is your best bet.

And those people would be right, because masks do work, as one simple layer of some protection, along with other mitigations. There is literally no disputing that.
You just cant fix stupid. Now go put on five masks and hide under your bed. You are probably that person whos driving around alone in their vehicle with a mask on. Go get your sixth vaccine shot, they really do work, LMFAO

A 3. Best acceleration I’ve ever had and great fun to drive. Never had a speeding ticket, but this car will test this.
I actually went to Tesla to look look into one but the salesman couldn't tell me how many hours were on the engine/battery. So i went and bought a CLS 63 AMG
when I took it on the highway I opened it up and while I was driving a voice came over the sound system "exceeding speedometer" lol.
You see you can do that when you're in nowhere Nebraska

I do ladder CD’s for cash. It’s great to have cash on hand for things like Covid or the 3k run down.

But I just steady buy. Another trick I learned is sell the night before but never buy the night before. The first hour of trading is known as amateur hour by traders. It’s always the highest at the start. 10:30 to 11 is your best bet.
You are correct about that. I have a friend who is done trading at 0900
When i was in the UNMC all i did was 10 yr treasury because the unknown which was alot for me and missed out on alot considering the yields at those times, but there was money to be lost as well I guess

Last edited:
You just cant fix stupid. Now go put on five masks and hide under your bed. You are probably that person whos driving around alone in their vehicle with a mask on. Go get your sixth vaccine shot, they really do work, LMFAO
Well now a know all I need to know about you. Have a good day

I do have some ETF the first one I ever bought was Vivek Ramaswamys DRLL at $21 its been steady

If anyone looking at this it's....never to late to help create wealth
Please don't confuse that with wealthy, but if I can do it literally anyone can

Reactions: IrishMike409
Well bluntly speaking AOC has got twice the stupid mutterings of both of them combined but of course YOU will never admit it.
Not saying that there ain't a lot of bad on both sides but look at the 'CREW' as a whole and nothing beats them.
Do you mean the Anti Semitic?
I don't use that word lightly but I'm a Christian Irish Hebrew.
I don't want this thread to be locked but I wanted to put mt post into context

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT