ADVERTISEMENT

Only a few teams have a higher aggregate

Dec 29, 2005
player ranking. I see ND has the 9th ranked class but I see their player average is 3.83(4th highest).

Only OSU 3.95, UGA 3.93, and UT 3.86 have higher player averages. I can’t remember a time that ND had a player average above Bama (3.8)

Additionally it seems like ND often signs less players than the other top 10 teams. I have some thoughts on why that occurs though.

Nice job by Marcus and the rest of the Coaches, if you add the Portal transfers, I’d give them an A at this point in time.

Oh, I also saw an article a few years back that no team with an aggregate below 3.63 on Rivals has ever won a national championship. So that 3.83 is a good number.

Last edited:
player ranking. I see ND has the 9th ranked class but I see their player average is 3.83(4th highest).

Only OSU 3.95, UGA 3.93, and UT 3.86 have higher player averages. I can’t remember a time that ND had a player average above Bama (3.8)

Additionally it seems like ND often signs less players than the other top 10 teams. I have some thoughts on why that occurs though.

Nice job by Marcus and the rest of the Coaches, if you add the Portal transfers, I’d give them an A at this point in time.

Oh, I also saw an article a few years back that no team with an aggregate below 3.63 on Rivals has ever won a national championship. So that 3.83 is a good number.
And this is the practical way of analyzing such. Quality first, which is increasing compared to Kelly. Then getting appropriate depth in quantity.

I would like another couple 4-4.5 stars for DL and safety and WR

They typically sign fewer recruits because they have fewer players leaving early for the draft.

ND and MF is doing wonderous things. MF is far out recruiting LR at SC and Riley was considered a coaching gem when hired.
Ironic MF was thought to hit his ceiling as a DC and has become a good HC; whereas Riley was everyone darling as a head coach and now clearly has a ceiling as an OC.

NDs class is done. You cant assess NDs class -- relative to the rest of the pack -- until the final signing period. That's when the best prospects sign/make their decision.

ND will likely finish with a class close to 13th and their recruiting rankings average per player doesn't mean as much when they are failing to sign enough prospects which is why their class ranking is 10-15th despite a good per player recruiting ranking

Last edited:
NDs class is done. You cant assess NDs class -- relative to the rest of the pack -- until the final signing period. That's when the best prospects sign/make their decision.

ND will likely finish with a class close to 13th and their recruiting rankings average per player doesn't mean as much when they are failing to sign enough prospects which is why their class ranking is 10-15th despite a good per player recruiting ranking
This is wrong and not factual.

ND will finish with the 10th or 11th class in the country. Probably 10

There is almost nothing left in the top 250 who are unsigned

Wrong again

The best prospects have already signed, with the exception of a very small number. As Texas A&M has shown, recruiting rankings and class rankings don't really mean a whole lot.

From top to bottom, is there another team's recruiting class that you would rather Notre Dame have over the one they signed?

Reactions: BGI User 756

Lol. Your only post on the early signing day is this. Few teams will beat 3.83 player average. We have 16 players at 5.8 or better, 4 at 6.0 or 6.1 (which is one more than UGA, and better than all of these teams -
Oregon/Okie/Auburn/FSU/Mich/LSU/Tenn/USC/PSU/A+M/UF/)

and is one behind both Texas and Bama, 2 behind Miami, and 3 behind OSU

But hey, you are the self described biggest fan on here.

Last edited:

90-95% of top recruits signed early this year. I think the portal is making a difference in that hs kids are choosing earlier. I looked to see who was left[especially safety] and never found much for February signing.

A lot of those teams you speak of usually have higher ranked players who tend to leave school after three years or hit the portal earlier.
ND players tend to stick around longer to get their degree leading to lower numbers

Freeman is doing a very good job recruiting. There's a lot of talent on this team. Once again, where ND needs to close the gap is getting those 5 star studs i.e. Rushing, Scott, Kelley, the Moores, etc. I know NIL plays a role these days, but even before NIL, ND had difficulty. It baffles me because if you're a 5 star DE, Safety, Corner, RB. You can pretty much come in and start right away or at the very least be in the rotation.

Freeman is doing a very good job recruiting. There's a lot of talent on this team. Once again, where ND needs to close the gap is getting those 5 star studs i.e. Rushing, Scott, Kelley, the Moores, etc. I know NIL plays a role these days, but even before NIL, ND had difficulty. It baffles me because if you're a 5 star DE, Safety, Corner, RB. You can pretty much come in and start right away or at the very least be in the rotation.
Any 5 star would have a hard time starting at rb or corner for us in 24

But DE and especially safety I agree

The best prospects have already signed, with the exception of a very small number. As Texas A&M has shown, recruiting rankings and class rankings don't really mean a whole lot.

From top to bottom, is there another team's recruiting class that you would rather Notre Dame have over the one they signed?
Lot of last minute flipping still to be had over the last month. And this late in the year, a flip can result in some big shake ups/falls/surges in the total team recruiting ranking point totals. ND has two other programs currently biting at their heels to the finish of this 2024 class.

Basically this happens every year where ND fans judge ND class rank by early signing period ranking (where ND gives up on the cycle entirely) while the hot-battles for last minute players/flips/steals/backstabs just begins to get cooking (that ND doesn't even compete for), and then conveniently forget NDs 3-5 position slide in the final recruiting ranking over the last 1-2 months of the cycle.

Nobody in the ND media talks about this even though it happens every season in every cycle. This last-minute tumble that happens to our recruiting class every year goes ignored and unchallenged and ND fans speak about the previous recruiting cycle as if the slide never happened.

Last edited:
Lot of last minute flipping still to be had over the last month. And this late in the year, a flip can result in some big shake ups/falls/surges in the total team recruiting ranking point totals. ND has two other programs currently biting at their heels to the finish of this 2024 class.

Basically this happens every year where ND fans judge ND class rank by early signing period ranking (where ND gives up on the cycle entirely) while the hot-battles for last minute players/flips/steals/backstabs just begins to get cooking (that ND doesn't even compete for), and then conveniently forget NDs 3-5 position slide in the final recruiting ranking over the last 1-2 months of the cycle.

Nobody in the ND media talks about this even though it happens every season in every cycle. This last-minute tumble that happens to our recruiting class every year goes ignored and unchallenged and ND fans speak about the previous recruiting cycle as if the slide never happened.
I can be pessimistic at times but you’re downright depressing my man.😂

I never attack you personally or get into name calling with you either, I think all opinions should be heard, that said I have to ask “Why are you a ND fan?”

Seriously, I honestly can’t recall reading any positive posts from you. You’d think you were rooting for Vandy, Rutgers, or Indiana by the tone of your comments year in and year out.

Again, it’s not meant to be a personal shot, I’m genuinely curious.

Reactions: jeans525
It’s very simple… nd is putting a team and staff on paper easily good enough to win it all, kudos to freeman

with that talent, freeman has 8 losses coaching in his first 26 games, that’s not close to good enough with what he inherited and helped grow talent wise.

It’s clear this will come down to coaching, we know we have two really good ones in golden and denbrock. Now does freeman turn into a James Franklin or Kirby smart type coach? TBD

The only players that can effect the rankings are the players who haven't signed. Unlike in years past, the vast majority of top players have already signed. There isn't going to be wild movement.

This is incorrect. NLIs are signed sealed and delivered. Very few top prospects left out there in the top 300

It’s very simple… nd is putting a team and staff on paper easily good enough to win it all, kudos to freeman

with that talent, freeman has 8 losses coaching in his first 26 games, that’s not close to good enough with what he inherited and helped grow talent wise.

It’s clear this will come down to coaching, we know we have two really good ones in golden and denbrock. Now does freeman turn into a James Franklin or Kirby smart type coach? TBD
7 losses. 18 and 7.

James Franklin? Hope not

He finally got the QB position to where it shou9ld be for the forseeable future

Drew Pyne, Tyler Buchner and Sam were just not what we needed talent wise

He inherited a bad QB room and bad wr room

Get a grip

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT