ADVERTISEMENT

One of many reasons why Purple Face was and always

Agree with all of this….but, for me, losing games like the Miami game are the ones that really diminished Kelly‘s coaching ability/style/accomplishments. It was more the total collapse that we saw too often when the bright lights of national attention were on for a critical game. Losing is one thing, but losing like deer caught in the headlights is another, and too often we looked the later. That said, I am thankful for all he did accomplish in radically improving the “program”, and I am thankful he moved on.
I supported BK 11 of the 12 seasons and still agree with your post. Had his Irish closed @Georgia or @FSU or home against Georgia or @Clemson then imo a lot of those who jumped ship Kelly a long time wouldn’t be stuck on the many, many Prime Time beat downs. They wouldn’t bring up “going for 2 against NW” or tossing it 50 times in a Hurricane @NC State or scaring so many Irish toddlers against South Florida or the inability to stop Navy’s very, very basic FullBack Dive” in Baltimore or even last season losing at home to Cincinnati.

I supported BK 11 of the 12 seasons and still agree with your post. Had his Irish closed @Georgia or @FSU or home against Georgia or @Clemson then imo a lot of those who jumped ship Kelly a long time wouldn’t be stuck on the many, many Prime Time beat downs. They wouldn’t bring up “going for 2 against NW” or tossing it 50 times in a Hurricane @NC State or scaring so many Irish toddlers against South Florida or the inability to stop Navy’s very, very basic FullBack Dive” in Baltimore or even last season losing at home to Cincinnati.
I could not care less what couch critics say about Brian Kelly. I am simply grateful for his 12 years, and Jack Swarbick made the correct decision not hiring Marc Dantonio, Tom Herman, or Justin Fuente in 2016....the hot names at that time.

Went 54-9 his last 5 seasons, two Playoff berths, and handed Marcus Freeman a much much improved program top to bottom.

If you want to criticize how Kelly departed, he deserves the criticism. Other than that, be grateful.

Reactions: mcleanva1
At least when he turns purple now he's on brand

Why aren’t you a head coach of a major college football program?

Why just be a couch critic? Since you know horrible head coaches when you them, why not get your own gig and show us how it’s done.
Been there, done that

Thx

P.s.
Allow me a question...

Do you think Brian Kelly did a good job as the ND head coach.

Please read very carefully.

Key words...

"Good job" and
"head coach"

"of ND" <----- emphasis on ND

It's a simple yes or no

Been there, done that

Thx

P.s.
Allow me a question...

Key words...

"Good job" and
"head coach"

It's a simple yes or no
You need to go be a Head Coach of a major college football program. Start looking now for 2023.

Since you profess to know crappy Head Coaches when you see them, go apply and get a big boy job and show us how it is done.

You need to go be a Head Coach of a major college football program. Start looking now for 2023.

Since you profess to know crappy Head Coaches when you see them, go apply and get a big boy job and show us how it is done.
Again..been there done that.

Why do you avoid such a simple question...

I'll ask again...

Key words...

"Good job" and
"head coach"

It's a simple yes or no

Notre Dame final F+ ranking by year (last 5 seasons under BK):
2021: #9
2020: #12
2019: #14
2018: #13
2017: #10
source: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fplus/2021

You know what I see here? A big "blah" burger. ND would have been on this 10-15th ranked train indefinitely under BK multiple tiers away from the very top.

It was time for ND to let BK shake loose, and it was time for ND to bring in a new culture/generation of ND football to get with the times. The ND program seems much more player centric under MF than it did under BK and the recruiting results are showing it. This is the kind of talent we need so that we can compete for more than 2 quarters against the playoff perennials of the world.

Lou was a very good coach. I wouldn't call him an all time great. He did have a great run from 88-93 and then the wheels came off after admissions reeled things in. So so everywhere else he coached.
Would you call Saban an all time great?
Because...well...he was so-so every where else. He had one lightning in a bottle year at LSU...the rest would've got him fired by today's standards...

Average @ MSU
Average @ LSU
Laughable and aborted his attempt in the NFL with the Dolphins

Ara? Great coach? So-so except at ND

Lou was absolutely positively an all time great especially with the schedules he played

Reactions: NDinNJ

You know what I see here? A big "blah" burger. ND would have been on this 10-15th ranked train indefinitely under BK multiple tiers away from the very top.

It was time for ND to let BK shake loose, and it was time for ND to bring in a new culture/generation of ND football to get with the times. The ND program seems much more player centric under MF than it did under BK and the recruiting results are showing it. This is the kind of talent we need so that we can compete for more than 2 quarters against the playoff perennials of the world.
We were done at kickoff brotha

F+ is trash.

Reactions: DublinND
We were done at kickoff brotha
Keep an eye on the Nebraska job, and hopefully your agent has a good relationship with the A.D. Trev Alberts.

You could perform big things in Lincoln.

I love Marcus but he better win. Gerry didn’t win. I fell out of love after a couple of dates.
Faust was a high school coach. He had no business leveling up to CFB HC without first having some experience at the college level, especially at a program like Notre Dame.

Faust was a high school coach. He had no business leveling up to CFB HC without first having some experience at the college level, especially at a program like Notre Dame.
Gerry embraced Notre Dame with “Open Arms...”

If your H.C. dons a dress and walks the campus to take fans temperature, you might be headed for some questionable days!

(however, BK may do it to get dance partners

Keep an eye on the Nebraska job, and hopefully your agent has a good relationship with the A.D. Trev Alberts.

You could perform big things in Lincoln.
Again you refuse to answer that simple question.

For the 3rd time...

Did Brian Kelly do a good job as HC @ ND.

Yes or no

Run-on sentences are poor grammar. Should be "Poor grammar. Please correct to be coherent."
extrapoint if you use phoor gramer and run ohn sentenses (incorret punctuationis extra points!)

extrapoint if you use phoor gramer and run ohn sentenses (incorret punctuationis extra points!)
And if you get zero or more extra points, you get a participation trophy.

2012, 2018, 2020. That's three undefeated regular seasons. A team has to win a lot of big games to go undefeated.

2015, 2017, 2021 ND was in the mix for the playoff through the entire season. As a college football fan it's hard to ask for more. Those were fun seasons.

2019 was a really solid team that outscored it's opponents by 20ppg and had a top 10 defense. 2011 was a fun team that hadn't figured out how to win yet.

Did Kelly leave a lot to be desired from a charisma standpoint? Yes, but I feel like ND fans are working hard to find faults in Kelly now that he's gone. ND had a really nice 12 year run.
Well stated. Unreal the lack of appreciation for what he accomplished on the field for this program. After Davie. Willingham and Weis, he truly made us perennial Top Ten relevant again. He left the program in amazing shape, and his successor is now 0-2 in big games, the one thing Kelly was mocked for. You speak the truth.

He was ready for a new challenge after 11 seasons. I don’t get the visceral scorn.

A really nice 12 year run with zero big wins in the postseason. It's crazy to me the love he gets even from Notre Dame fans when he won absolutely, positively nothing in his 12 years here. At Notre Dame for fvck's sake.

Kelly benefited from some of the worst schedules ever at Notre Dame and when there was ever any adversity against a good opponent he got pansed. He, his team, and any non deluded Notre Dame fans knew we had no chance in those types of games with him on the sidelines. No chance.
And his successor has coached two games —- both big —- and both losses. Just saying.
I could not care less what couch critics say about Brian Kelly. I am simply grateful for his 12 years, and Jack Swarbick made the correct decision not hiring Marc Dantonio, Tom Herman, or Justin Fuente in 2016....the hot names at that time.

Went 54-9 his last 5 seasons, two Playoff berths, and handed Marcus Freeman a much much improved program top to bottom.

If you want to criticize how Kelly departed, he deserves the criticism. Other than that, be grateful.
As am I. Great post. Agree with everything you just wrote.

Well stated. Unreal the lack of appreciation for what he accomplished on the field for this program. After Davie. Willingham and Weis.
Why always compare Kelly to the coaching failures? That's an extremely low bar. Let's compare Kelly's resume to the Greats. Let's compare him to Holtz, who dealt with brutal schedules, typically 8-9 games per year vs Top 25 teams, and 2-4 Top 10 teams/year Won one National Championship in a year he beat the #2, #3, #4, and #5 teams. Holtz basically won a championship going through a playoff without a playoff. He should have won another in 93 , but they decided to gift it to Bowden.
And don't throw in the academic restrictions, Name one player other than maybe Rice that was given leniency on academics?

Kelly had the advantage of working with some of the easiest schedules in Notre Dame history. Losses to Navy, Tulsa, USF, blow out losses against Michigan, Stanford, and Miami. Couldn't beat a less talented team in Cincinnati last year at home. Kelly was a good coach, but he should not have been given 12 years.

Why always compare Kelly to the coaching failures? That's an extremely low bar. Let's compare Kelly's resume to the Greats. Let's compare him to Holtz, who dealt with brutal schedules, typically 8-9 games per year vs Top 25 teams, and 2-4 Top 10 teams/year Won one National Championship in a year he beat the #2, #3, #4, and #5 teams. Holtz basically won a championship going through a playoff without a playoff. He should have won another in 93 , but they decided to gift it to Bowden.
And don't throw in the academic restrictions, Name one player other than maybe Rice that was given leniency on academics?

Kelly had the advantage of working with some of the easiest schedules in Notre Dame history. Losses to Navy, Tulsa, USF, blow out losses against Michigan, Stanford, and Miami. Couldn't beat a less talented team in Cincinnati last year at home. Kelly was a good coach, but he should not have been given 12 years.
So what do you think about Freeman now? Kelly sure sucked against non Top 25 opponents (42 in a row, what a piker). That streak just came to an unceremonious end against perhaps the worst non-Top 25 team we have played the last five years.

I compare Kelly to his peers in college football. He was a great coach. LSU wouldn’t have thrown him $100M otherwise.

You are happy with what we have now and the previous coach should have been removed?

Reactions: notredamerises23
Well stated. Unreal the lack of appreciation for what he accomplished on the field for this program. After Davie. Willingham and Weis, he truly made us perennial Top Ten relevant again. He left the program in amazing shape, and his successor is now 0-2 in big games, the one thing Kelly was mocked for. You speak the truth.

He was ready for a new challenge after 11 seasons. I don’t get the visceral scorn.
You and me both. It's pretty disturbing stuff. Somewhere along the line, for reasons that are still a mystery, BK became a genuine hate-figure for what appears to be the large majority of vocal online ND fans. It's so effed-up and pathological, I'm quite certain that psychologists, from like, Harvard Medical School, could have a field day trying to make sense of it, in the context of some sort of mass hysteria.

Because of course BK is a top coach, and had the program more or less at the pinnacle of CFB. No mean feat for ND football in the modern era. He was also a perfectly genial and pleasant guy, and anything but a scumbag. And so my theory is BK left less for the challenge of it, or even the money, but simply to get away from this increasingly toxic and highly delusional and vicious, insular fan culture. It's not just that he wasn't appreciated, he was very actively and vocally loathed. As you say, it was visceral. And for god knows what reason....

If karma has any say in the matter, ND will go 0-12 this season.....

Reactions: Pennick4
we can’t seem to stop these BK threads, it’s ridiculous.

I’ll keep saying it, BK pulled this program out of the gutter and made it a true national player again. He had THREE undefeated regular seasons. No, ND didn’t win some playoff or BCS bowls but I’d argue the losses, mostly to Bama, Clemson, OSU, and UGA were superior teams in talent and depth.

I didn’t love BK, but I respected what he did for the program. My biggest gripe by a wide margin was his inability to ever recruit a true game changer at QB. The few years we had really solid QB play, the following year the QB’s regressed, every single time.

He’s gone folks, let the shit go already.

I’ll keep saying it, BK pulled this program out of the gutter and made it a true national player again. He had THREE undefeated regular seasons. No, ND didn’t win some playoff or BCS bowls but I’d argue the losses, mostly to Bama, Clemson, OSU, and UGA were superior teams in talent and depth.

I didn’t love BK, but I respected what he did for the program. My biggest gripe by a wide margin was his inability to ever recruit a true game changer at QB. The few years we had really solid QB play, the following year the QB’s regressed, every single time.

Amen. You nailed it. Great amplification. Move on.

I only continued this thread because an earlier poster responded to me and said that BK should have been removed earlier in his tenure for not winning against teams only the Uber elite could beat, and that his winning percentage was the beneficiary of “easy scheduling.”

I guess Marshall doesn’t qualify as easy scheduling.

Lou was a very good coach. I wouldn't call him an all time great. He did have a great run from 88-93 and then the wheels came off after admissions reeled things in. So so everywhere else he coached.
In fairness, Holtz also won over 70% of his games at NC State and Arkansas. And those two back to back stints covered 11 seasons, just as his ND run did.

But he did poorly at William & Mary, Minnesota and South Carolina. Ironically, though it was merely having a barely winning 6-5 record at Minnesota in 85 that made him a candidate for the ND job.

You and me both. It's pretty disturbing stuff. Somewhere along the line, for reasons that are still a mystery, BK became a genuine hate-figure for what appears to be the large majority of vocal online ND fans. It's so effed-up and pathological, I'm quite certain that psychologists, from like, Harvard Medical School, could have a field day trying to make sense of it, in the context of some sort of mass hysteria.

Because of course BK is a top coach, and had the program more or less at the pinnacle of CFB. No mean feat for ND football in the modern era. He was also a perfectly genial and pleasant guy, and anything but a scumbag. And so my theory is BK left less for the challenge of it, or even the money, but simply to get away from this increasingly toxic and highly delusional and vicious, insular fan culture. It's not just that he wasn't appreciated, he was very actively and vocally loathed. As you say, it was visceral. And for god knows what reason....

If karma has any say in the matter, ND will go 0-12 this season.....
It’s the way that Kelly left ND that created so much vitriol

YOU ARE 100 % CORRECT !

The visceral scorn comes from the fact that he DUMPED ND. Walked away.

And my guess -- and it's only a guess -- is that ND pissed him off, and he figured WHO NEEDS THIS? Kelly wasn't an ND MYSTIC like Holtz or IDEALIZED like Ara. He's professional and kind of BLUNT. He's also nakedly TRANSACTIONAL. Hey, it's a business.

I also think Kelly saw the portal, NIL and potential REVENUE SHARING as LOOMING PROBLEMS for ND. In which case, any attenpt to garner an NC there might easily become only that much harder. The man is no fool.

The offense many ND fans feel over Kelly's having left has been EXTRAORDINARY. At the same time, it's typical of those who've been spurned but who deny the insult by demonizing the person who spurned them.

So then, here comes Marcus Freeman, THE ANTI-KELLY. The man is IMMEDIATELY CROWNED as ND's NEXT GREAT COACH and its deliverer from all things KELLY THE USURPER.

The entire drama is rife with MIDDLE SCHOOL REASONING. Kelly, bad; Freeman, good.

But then, there's ACTUAL COACHING, a trade at which Brian Kelly over several decades has won over 70% of his games, while Marcus Freeman is now 0-3.

Reactions: HDK
Will be a pos

"I wrote Brian Kelly maybe 8 positive letters during his time at Notre Dame, and I go to the mailbox everyday hoping I'm going to find an answer. He never responded to one of them" - Lou Holtz
would rather go 0-12 without BK than 12-0 with him! He was despicable.

The visceral scorn comes from the fact that he DUMPED ND. Walked away.

And my guess -- and it's only a guess -- is that ND pissed him off, and he figured WHO NEEDS THIS? Kelly wasn't an ND MYSTIC like Holtz or IDEALIZED like Ara. He's professional and kind of BLUNT. He's also nakedly TRANSACTIONAL. Hey, it's a business.

I also think Kelly saw the portal, NIL and potential REVENUE SHARING as LOOMING PROBLEMS for ND. In which case, any attenpt to garner an NC there might easily become only that much harder. The man is no fool.

The offense many ND fans feel over Kelly's having left has been EXTRAORDINARY. At the same time, it's typical of those who've been spurned but who deny the insult by demonizing the person who spurned them.

So then, here comes Marcus Freeman, THE ANTI-KELLY. The man is IMMEDIATELY CROWNED as ND's NEXT GREAT COACH and its deliverer from all things KELLY THE USURPER.

The entire drama is rife with MIDDLE SCHOOL REASONING. Kelly, bad; Freeman, good.

But then, there's ACTUAL COACHING, a trade at which Brian Kelly over several decades has won over 70% of his games, while Marcus Freeman is now 0-3.
Valid points. MF was and is a risky hire. I don’t know that a Kelly coached team would have won yesterday. Marshal was better. With that said MF really needs to take command and start winning. No excuses. He going to be here for a few years. The honeymoon is over. Let’s see how they respond

Reactions: Flanner Hall
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT