ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Strategy for 2017??

Duo

ND Expert
Jul 23, 2006
There has been lots of talk on this board predicting an amazing season, surprise wins going against the Vegas odds and even making the playoffs or a big time Bowl. Will Chip Long's RPO (run, pass option) up tempo offense work at ND. It will require Wimbush to make the correct reads and to react accordingly sometimes running the ball himself when alternative plays are covered. So.........a very big question is how well can Wimbush handle it mentally and physically in an up tempo game vs. the more highly talented opponents. And how will this offense work in bad weather or in the cold?

Thoughts, questions, observations

There has been lots of talk on this board predicting an amazing season, surprise wins going against the Vegas odds and even making the playoffs or a big time Bowl. Will Chip Long's RPO (run, pass option) up tempo offense work at ND. It will require Wimbush to make the correct reads and to react accordingly sometimes running the ball himself when alternative plays are covered. So.........a very big question is how well can Wimbush handle it mentally and physically in an up tempo game vs. the more highly talented opponents. And how will this offense work in bad weather or in the cold?
Thoughts, questions, observations
4 yards and a cloud of dust. :D

We are not going to know much until they start the season. Until then they will keep it under wrap. We saw no tempo in the spring game. It was just an attempt to get the guys some practice with fans watching in game like conditions.

We have no idea how well the offense will run, just some decent success by Long at his previous stops although he is a bit of a newbie as an OC.

We should expect great things from this offense. Wimbush has had two years to develop, and everything suggests he will thrive in Longs offense. Tight ends and screen passes will once again be featured aspects of our offense. Under center fully loaded run plays will be a welcome change, and our three headed running attack has the potential to be our best in decades. We have great size and good speed and great ball seekers at receiver, and an excess of riches at TE. The left side of our offense is manned by two preseason All Americans. The single largest question mark is who we start on the right side. Kraemer is a great run blocker, but looked slow and clumsy at the right tackle on pass protection. There are very good options if Kraemer hasn't developed sufficiently before the start of season,, and it will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Reactions: rgc7
In 2016 Memphis was 8-5 (5-3 AAC). The good news is that Chip Long's offense scored a lot of points even when losing. Here are the teams that beat Memphis last year and the scores.

Ole Miss--L 48-28
Navy--L 42-28
Tulsa--L 59-30
USF--L 49-42
Western Kentucky--L 51-31

With a descent defense Memphis might have won one or two of those games lost. It will be interesting to see how Long's offense performs in inclement weather (i.e. wind, rain, freezing cold, snow and sleet).

And another question is who replaces Wimbush should he go down? And how are the skills of the replacement? Now days most power 5 teams will have to count on replacing their starting QB either temporarily or permanently at some point for one reason or another.

We should expect great things from this offense. Wimbush has had two years to develop, and everything suggests he will thrive in Longs offense. Tight ends and screen passes will once again be featured aspects of our offense. Under center fully loaded run plays will be a welcome change, and our three headed running attack has the potential to be our best in decades. We have great size and good speed and great ball seekers at receiver, and an excess of riches at TE. The left side of our offense is manned by two preseason All Americans. The single largest question mark is who we start on the right side. Kraemer is a great run blocker, but looked slow and clumsy at the right tackle on pass protection. There are very good options if Kraemer hasn't developed sufficiently before the start of season,, and it will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Just so I understood you clearly, we will be taking snaps from under center?

My biggest pet-peeve is the running plays with our RBs standing still, getting the ball, then trying to get momentum.

With our line, our size at WR/TE, & the threat of a running QB, we should have no problems going under center & ALWAYS picking up short yardage on 3rd/4th downs.

I have a lot of confidence in Book because of his decision making skills. He is not as athletic as Wimbush but few are. I think Book is an athletic Rees with a stronger arm and better legs.

South Bend is not at the top of the Artic Circle. :D

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Today-could-mark-first-Irish-snow-game-since-1992-233152821.html

2013 might be the last time ND played as the snow was actually falling?

Alice I think you are right about no snow in South Bend this season. The BC and MSU games are early in the season. I guess there is a possibility in November? You never know it could be bitter cold or spring like considering global warming. That said, there is a strong possibility that some of the games will be played in the rain and wind. Don't know about hurricanes? :eek:

Just so I understood you clearly, we will be taking snaps from under center?

My biggest pet-peeve is the running plays with our RBs standing still, getting the ball, then trying to get momentum.

With our line, our size at WR/TE, & the threat of a running QB, we should have no problems going under center & ALWAYS picking up short yardage on 3rd/4th downs.
Yes, on a situational basis, and based on what Long ran at Memphis St and different interviews of him that I've read. Don't interpret this to mean that will be our normal set, but I think we can look forward to some power running under the center football circumstances warrant.

Global warming? I thought it was called climate change. Make up your mind. The last really cold weather game in South Bend was Senior Day, 2013 against BYU. We have been blessed with decent weather for the home schedule the last few years. If you want to go with the bad weather in South Bend narrative, at the very least know what you are talking about.

Alice I think you are right about no snow in South Bend this season. The BC and MSU games are early in the season. I guess there is a possibility in November? You never know it could be bitter cold or spring like considering global warming. That said, there is a strong possibility that some of the games will be played in the rain and wind. Don't know about hurricanes? :eek:

If you're not a Hoosier, you might not be familiar with Indiana weather. Don't like the current weather? Just give it a couple minutes and it will change.

The worst weather the Irish have played in lately was at Clemson.

Yes, on a situational basis, and based on what Long ran at Memphis St and different interviews of him that I've read. Don't interpret this to mean that will be our normal set, but I think we can look forward to some power running under the center football circumstances warrant.

I know it won't happen with this team, but I sure do miss the FB dive down their throat.

But for under center, the left side is NFL first rounders. If they opposition loads up on them then run weak. I just wish we punished people with our Oline.

Reactions: Kelso86
I am super concerned about the defense now that Taylor is hurt and Cage is having surgery.
Two guys that you were hoping to get very good contributions from.
That to me is devastating.
My 9-3 hopeful prediction has now regressed.

What's worse is the 2019 schedule is a beast.
We really need to good year this year to have a very good recruiting year.

This year is crucial.

I am super concerned about the defense now that Taylor is hurt and Cage is having surgery.

We really need a good year this year to have a very good recruiting year.

This year is crucial.

This year is crucial.

ZORO.........

Re: "2019 is a beast"

And how about 2018?

Michigan--opening game, first game of the season!

Stanford

at Virginia Tech

Pitt

at Northwestern (don't laugh, it might haunt you.......again)

FSU

at USC

at Louisville--opening game of the season

at Georgia

USC

at Michigan

Virginia Tech

at Stanford

2016 was a cake walk compared to 2018 and 2019!

Yes, I meant to say 2018.
(Michigan, USC, FSU, Stanford at Virginia Tech.)
I will love seeing FSU come into South Bend in November. It's a video game schedule.
It's insane!

That's the only reason if Kelly has a 7-5 or worse- you might not get rid of him and dump a 1st year coach
Into the 2018 shitstorm schedule.

How about a season without 10-15 key players sustaining season ending injuries! Big hits and memorable blocking in 2017. No charity games in 2017 Coach! Here Comes the Irish!

Yes, I meant to say 2018.
(Michigan, USC, FSU, Stanford at Virginia Tech.)
I will love seeing FSU come into South Bend in November. It's a video game schedule.
It's insane!

That's the only reason if Kelly has a 7-5 or worse- you might not get rid of him and dump a 1st year coach
Into the 2018 shitstorm schedule.

Zorro...........

Very good point! I absolutely agree. In my 2017 game by game prediction thread I predicted 5-7 or 6-6 with the outside possibility of a Bowl game depending on what others do. Many Bowls would be happy to host Notre Dame because they draw so well.

That said, it is hard for me to imagine BK getting fired regardless of the W/L record for the very reason you mention.........difficulty of the schedule.

One might ask, why are you predicting 5-7, 6-6? It's because I'm a realist (predicted 6-6 in 2016). There are plenty of reasons for ND fans to be excited about 2017 and rightfully so............new OC, new DC, new QB, new facilities and an exciting schedule with several of the opponents supposedly having lesser teams than last year. But and that's a big BUT , if you look at the other side of the coin there are some reasons to be concerned.............first off the new coaches are coming off of some tough years, Chip Long at Memphis, 8-5 (5-3 AAC) in his first year as an OC and Mike Elko at Wake Forest, 7-6 (3-5 ACC). Now they will coach a better team but they will face tougher opponents. And there are the standard concerns like injuries, a new basically untested QB, the O-line and the D-line and just the newness of everything for both the players and the coaches. All of this newness is exciting yet daunting. So, let's hope for the best.......and possibly a Bowl game! Should be another great year for all of CFB.

Chip Long and Mike Elko could hardly be blamed for the mediocre seasons their teams had last year. Simply put....Memphis was 28th in Total Offense, 15th in Scoring Offense, but 106th in Total "D". Wake Forest defensively was 40th in Total "D", 23rd in Scoring Defense, and a not too shabby 22nd in Red Zone Defense. Both of these guys know what they are doing in spite of the poor play from the other units on the team. The narrative of ND playing opponents with lesser teams in 2017 will be brought back , I'm sure, as the reason for ND's success in 2017. Nice try. There may be reasons, not excuses, for question marks coming into Fall camp. The QB and Defense are at the top of the list.

Honestly, & not to sound arrogant, but the schedules shouldn't be a factor if we get to where we want to be.

Obviously playing teams having down years help, but with our program & recruiting we should be favored in 10 games a year & the others should be toss-ups.

Keep in mind the last title team beat the top 4 out of 6 teams in the final poll. (All of those teams' only losses were to eachother interestingly enough). Miami, Michigan, USC, WVU.

So my point is that the schedule shouldn't matter, just win games, we have the players to beat anyone on our schedule every year.

This year is crucial.

Zoro,
I too am more concerned about the defense ! I think that our offense can and will put up points,
And if the defense is really consistently solid, we may be in the hunt for an NC ?
Defenses win championships !

Zoro,
I too am more concerned about the defense ! I think that our offense can and will put up points,
And if the defense is really consistently solid, we may be in the hunt for an NC ?
Defenses win championships !

Rgc7.........

Re: "And if the defense is really consistently solid, we may be in the hunt for an NC ?"

Really? You think ND is going to win the NC? Humm? Care to elaborate? I'm only asking because Vegas has ND as the underdog in a number of games and I have not seen any prognosticator mention ND being in the playoffs. And please take a minute to go yo my game by game predictions thread and make your game by game predictions. Hey, I have to love your optimism so please comment.

Rgc7.........

Re: "And if the defense is really consistently solid, we may be in the hunt for an NC ?"

Really? You think ND is going to win the NC? Humm? Care to elaborate? I'm only asking because Vegas has ND as the underdog in a number of games and I have not seen any prognosticator mention ND being in the playoffs. And please take a minute to go yo my game by game predictions thread and make your game by game predictions. Hey, I have to love your optimism so please comment.

Duo,
Nothing scientific in my opinion , just going by what I have seen of Kelly's coaching style and
His liking for the offensive side of the ball. Of course, We really won't know until Wimbush starts to play,
But if he is as good as What I've been reading, I think that ND will be able to put up some good to decent
Offensive numbers.
Thus, I am more concerned with the defense. One other thing, I did not state that " We would win an NC ". Great play, record, polls, and a lot of luck will be needed for that. What I did say was. " We " MAY"
( Notice the emphasis on the MAY ) be then in the hunt for an NC."
I usually take it one game at a time, so I personally over the years I find it very difficult to try to pick
Individual games way in advance before the season starts.

Duo,
Nothing scientific in my opinion , just going by what I have seen of Kelly's coaching style and
His liking for the offensive side of the ball. Of course, We really won't know until Wimbush starts to play,
But if he is as good as What I've been reading, I think that ND will be able to put up some good to decent
Offensive numbers.
Thus, I am more concerned with the defense. One other thing, I did not state that " We would win an NC ". Great play, record, polls, and a lot of luck will be needed for that. What I did say was. " We " MAY"
( Notice the emphasis on the MAY ) be then in the hunt for an NC."
I usually take it one game at a time, so I personally over the years I find it very difficult to try to pick
Individual games way in advance before the season starts.

Rgc7.........

If you think ND "may" be in the NC with emphasis on MAY we'll just leave it at that. Keep in mind there were a number of posters here last year that were predicting ND would be in the NC game as well. Happens every year.

At 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1, make that yard with power football. Dictate the play like Lou. No more pass to the wide out and lose 1 or 2 yards. Impose our will on them.

Rgc7.........

If you think ND "may" be in the NC with emphasis on MAY we'll just leave it at that. Keep in mind there were a number of posters here last year that were predicting ND would be in the NC game as well. Happens every year.

Why does it bother you so much that some Irish fans think the team could make the playoffs? Bet there's a lot of fans of other programs that think their team might have a chance to win it all too. Didn't know optimism/enthusiasm was reserved only for a chosen few teams of the college football world.

...and there's been plenty of preseason hyped programs with natty hopes that fade during the season.

Reactions: sluggo69
Alice, this dude has been busy setting the Irish season up with narratives that sound informed, but is nothing more than a subtle lean to the negative. South Bend bad weather. Possible easy 2017 Irish schedule. Irish new DC and OC had bad seasons last year. His talking points are factually incorrect and/or uninformed opinions. I would not put too much stock in any analysis he sets forth. Let Irish fans predict NCs hopes and dreams. It's their team. Their emotional and maybe financial investment. It's their dreams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT