ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Strategy for 2017??

I'm with rcg7 on this. ND was in the NC "hunt" two years ago until they lost to Stanford in the last seconds of the last regular season game. Suggesting this team MAY be in the hunt for the NC is a far cry from saying they will win, or even play for the NC. My hope is for ND to be in the HUNT for the NC every year, and I think this team will surprise to the upside, and be in the hunt!

Reactions: Kelso86
If ND is in the "top 6" in the CFP rankings at any point they are in the hunt.

If ND has 10 (or obviously 11) wins going into the final game each year at either USC or Stanford they are in the hunt. (Obviously needs a win in that game)

That's ND's situation each year.

The one scenario I wonder what would happen is if ND finished 11-1 but the loss was in the last game of the year?

Cage and Taylor hurt is frightening

To have Johnathan Bonner as your starter at defensive tackle and is scary.

Watching the end of the USC game last year.
Bonner was getting pushed around like a drunk prostitute by her pimp.

Anyone predicting 10 wins needs to pump the brakes really hard.

Cage and Taylor hurt is frightening

To have Johnathan Bonner as your starter at defensive tackle is scary.

Watching the end of the USC game last year.
Bonner was getting pushed around like a drunk prostitute by her pimp.

Anyone predicting 10 wins needs to pump the brakes really hard.

We have read references to the new OC's offense.
In fact the ND job and the autonomy that Long will have is really his 1st such position.
He has worked with top offensive coaches as his mentors, but as to the references to the
Chip Long offense, 2017 will be the unveiling.

re Long's prior boss:
"Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

1. As well as Ole Miss recruits Memphis high school football players, Bjork would do well to look toward the Bluff City to recruit his next head coach.

"When it comes to up-and-coming coaching stars, few shine brighter than Memphis Tigers coach Mike Norvell. He sits at the helm of a gold mine left by Justin Fuente, who was hired away by Virginia Tech. Norvell proved in 2016 that the program is in good hands.

He is an innovative young offensive mind who will be plucked away by a marquee-conference program sooner rather than later, especially considering just how loaded the Tigers expect to be this season with quarterback Riley Ferguson and receiver Anthony Miller leading the way.

His offenses put up prolific numbers when he was an assistant at Tulsa and the coordinator at both Pittsburgh and Arizona State. Getting him to Memphis was a shrewd decision, and it looks like it'll just be a pit stop on the way to a big job."

I had to make the two mile trek back to the
White Lot on foot. I felt like Bear Gryll walking on the polar tundra. Wind and snow blowing in from the north pelting my gorgeous face all the way to my truck. I had to sacrifice my gloves to make an impromptu face protector so naturally, my hands paid the price. But hey, the Irish won the game on Senior Day. I did make my way on the field after the game with the Seniors but after a couple of minutes I decided to call it a day. The mud on the field was actually hard. Was that the last game with grass? I can't remember.

I am expecting to see a wide open offense this fall. Coach Long said the only thing that prevented him from running the ball more last season at Memphis was a weak line. Hopefully Coach Hiestand will have our offensive line problems resolved this fall. Coach Denson has a stable of fine running backs ready to explode through holes opened by the OL. It would be a lot of fun seeing Mack and Wright sailing together through the opponent's defenses this fall on long pass plays. You could cut Wimbush or one of our fast backs into that open area and watch him run for paydirt. I expect Coach Alexander to take our receivers to the next level this fall. I've watched him the past three years and that Coach can motivate young men. We should have a very exciting offense this fall. With the offensive weapons at coach Long's disposal I expect offensive haymakers coming from all over the field this season.

I am expecting to see a wide open offense this fall. Coach Long said the only thing that prevented him from running the ball more last season at Memphis was a weak line. Hopefully Coach Hiestand will have our offensive line problems resolved this fall. Coach Denson has a stable of fine running backs ready to explode through holes opened by the OL. It would be a lot of fun seeing Mack and Wright sailing together through the opponent's defenses this fall on long pass plays. You could cut Wimbush or one of our fast backs into that open area and watch him run for paydirt. I expect Coach Alexander to take our receivers to the next level this fall. I've watched him the past three years and that Coach can motivate young men. We should have a very exciting offense this fall. With the offensive weapons at coach Long's disposal I expect offensive haymakers coming from all over the field this season.

Ara......

"offensive haymakers" expect from all over the field???

Can you be a little more specific with your "expectations"?

First, define "offensive haymakers" (first downs? trick plays? pass plays? running plays? or what?)

Next, give us some specific examples of plays that you are expecting Coach Long to call that will fit into the "haymaker" category.

More details please.

Ara......

"offensive haymakers" expect from all over the field???

Can you be a little more specific with your "expectations"?

First, define "offensive haymakers" (first downs? trick plays? pass plays? running plays? or what?)

Next, give us some specific examples of plays that you are expecting Coach Long to call that will fit into the "haymaker" category.

More details please.

My idea of Irish haymakers is that this team has some serious talent that will be able to punch their way down the field on the ground and through the air. If you don't know the talent of the 2017 Irish offense I suggest you google.

...and yes, even with an inexperienced QB this offense should be very capable.

QB
7 JR Brandon Wimbush ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4) 2 - **** & 1 - ***
4 SR Montgomery VanGorder **/**/**/**/ = ** (4)
12 SO Ian Book ***/***/***/***/ = *** (4)
13 FR Avery Davis ***/****/****/****/ = **** (3)

RB
2 Jr. Dexter Williams ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4) 3 - **** & 1 - ***
33 Jr. Josh Adams ***/****/****/***/ = **** (2)
38 SO Deon McIntosh ***/***/***/***/ = *** (4)
34 SOTony Jones ***/****/****/***/ = **** (2)
15 FR C.J. Holmes ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)

WR
16 5th Cameron Smith ***/***/***/ = *** (3)
11 5th Freddy Canteen ****/****/**** = **** (4)
6 JR E. St. Brown ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4) 6 - **** & 2 - ***
81 JR Miles Boykin ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
3 JR CJ Sanders ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
10 JR Chris Finke -/ -/ */ -/ = * (1)
88 SO Javon McKinley ****/****/****/***/ = **** (3)
83 SO Chase Claypool ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
29 SO Kevin Stepherson ***/***/***/***/ = *** (4)
25 FR Jafar Armstrong ***/****/***/***/ = **** (1/247-91)
87 FR Michael Young ***/***/***/***/ = *** (4)

TE
80 5th TE Durham Smythe ***/****/****/****/ = **** (3) 1 - ***** & 5 -
82 SR Nic Weishar ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
86 JR Alize Jones Mack ****/****/*****/****/ = ***** (1) & **** (3)
84 FR Cole Kmet ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
89 FR Brock Wright ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)

OL
68 5th OT Mike McGlinchey ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4) 1 - ***** & 15 - ****
70 5th OT Hunter Bivin ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
56 SR OG Quenton Nelson *****/****/****/****/ = ***** (1) & **** (3)
71 SR OG Alex Bars ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
53 SR C Sam Mustipher ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
67 SR OT Jimmy Byrne ****/****/****/***/ = **** (3)
57 JR OG Trevor Ruhland ***/***/***/****/ = **** (1/ESPN)
74 SO OT Liam Eichenberg ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
54 SO LS John Shannon **/***/****/**/= **** (1/Scout) *Best in class.
78 SO OT Tommy Kraemer ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
69 Fr OL Aaron Banks ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
72 Fr OL Robert Hainsey ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
76 Fr OL Dillan Gibbons ***/***/****/***/ = **** (1/Scout)
75 Fr OL Joshua Lugg ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)

McGlinchey, Nelson, Mustipher, Bars, and Kraemer or Eichenberg will make up a powerful offensive line. The biggest positive came with the change in our S&C program. We should see the payoff in the fourth quarter. It all begins with that group. BW has been seasoning the last season and a half. i keep hearing media people from the SBT, recruiting services, and ND coaches say he has a stronger arm than Kiser and he's faster than MZ. My eyes agree with them after limited action. I expect a similar coming out party to that of Terry Hanratty or MZ against Texas. He will show us that cannon and wow us with his running. He finally gets to show his stuff against Temple in Notre Dame Stadium. I'm not worried about BW being ready to play and lead ND. Josh Adams, Dexter Williams, and Tony Jones should make up the first game against Temple rotation. According to Coach Long and Coach Denson, Deon McIntosh has developed straightline speed. They even used him at wide receiver last spring. If C.J. Holmes is recovered from his injury, we ought to use him too. Fifth year skilled players don't seem to hang around ND anymore. Finally you need receivers who can get open and catch the ball. We have a host of them just waiting for their chance. "Haymaker" is an old boxing term that describes a devastating punch that comes from any direction at anytime and lands with OMG results. It usually ends with a TD or a very long gain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsFgAGJxGuM

Last edited:
QB
7 JR Brandon Wimbush ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4) 2 - **** & 1 - ***
4 SR Montgomery VanGorder **/**/**/**/ = ** (4)
12 SO Ian Book ***/***/***/***/ = *** (4)
13 FR Avery Davis ***/****/****/****/ = **** (3)

RB
2 Jr. Dexter Williams ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4) 3 - **** & 1 - ***
33 Jr. Josh Adams ***/****/****/***/ = **** (2)
38 SO Deon McIntosh ***/***/***/***/ = *** (4)
34 SOTony Jones ***/****/****/***/ = **** (2)
15 FR C.J. Holmes ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)

WR
16 5th Cameron Smith ***/***/***/ = *** (3)
11 5th Freddy Canteen ****/****/**** = **** (4)
6 JR E. St. Brown ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4) 6 - **** & 2 - ***
81 JR Miles Boykin ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
3 JR CJ Sanders ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
10 JR Chris Finke -/ -/ */ -/ = * (1)
88 SO Javon McKinley ****/****/****/***/ = **** (3)
83 SO Chase Claypool ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
29 SO Kevin Stepherson ***/***/***/***/ = *** (4)
25 FR Jafar Armstrong ***/****/***/***/ = **** (1/247-91)
87 FR Michael Young ***/***/***/***/ = *** (4)

TE
80 5th TE Durham Smythe ***/****/****/****/ = **** (3) 1 - ***** & 5 -
82 SR Nic Weishar ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
86 JR Alize Jones Mack ****/****/*****/****/ = ***** (1) & **** (3)
84 FR Cole Kmet ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
89 FR Brock Wright ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)

OL
68 5th OT Mike McGlinchey ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4) 1 - ***** & 15 - ****
70 5th OT Hunter Bivin ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
56 SR OG Quenton Nelson *****/****/****/****/ = ***** (1) & **** (3)
71 SR OG Alex Bars ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
53 SR C Sam Mustipher ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
67 SR OT Jimmy Byrne ****/****/****/***/ = **** (3)
57 JR OG Trevor Ruhland ***/***/***/****/ = **** (1/ESPN)
74 SO OT Liam Eichenberg ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
54 SO LS John Shannon **/***/****/**/= **** (1/Scout) *Best in class.
78 SO OT Tommy Kraemer ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
69 Fr OL Aaron Banks ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
72 Fr OL Robert Hainsey ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)
76 Fr OL Dillan Gibbons ***/***/****/***/ = **** (1/Scout)
75 Fr OL Joshua Lugg ****/****/****/****/ = **** (4)

McGlinchey, Nelson, Mustipher, Bars, and Kraemer or Eichenberg will make up a powerful offensive line. The biggest positive came with the change in our S&C program. We should see the payoff in the fourth quarter. It all begins with that group. BW has been seasoning the last season and a half. i keep hearing media people from the SBT, recruiting services, and ND coaches say he has a stronger arm than Kiser and he's faster than MZ. My eyes agree with them after limited action. I expect a similar coming out party to that of Terry Hanratty or MZ against Texas. He will show us that cannon and wow us with his running. He finally gets to show his stuff against Temple in Notre Dame Stadium. I'm not worried about BW being ready to play and lead ND. Josh Adams, Dexter Williams, and Tony Jones should make up the first game against Temple rotation. According to Coach Long and Coach Denson, Deon McIntosh has developed straightline speed. They even used him at wide receiver last spring. If C.J. Holmes is recovered from his injury, we ought to use him too. Fifth year skilled players don't seem to hang around ND anymore.

You are a true gentleman, Ara. Unfortunately, when it comes to Duo, I'd rather tell him to go pound sand in a rathole than giving a lengthy answer to one of his posts.

Reactions: Pennick44
"haymakers"?? Well........OK, whatever?

BTW, does anyone know what the odds/line is for the Georgia game? I'm guessing ND is favored at home?

Georgia was very inconsistent last year and lost to the following:

at Ole Miss
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Florida
Georgia Tech

But, they did beat TCU handily in the Liberty Bowl. I imagine there are Georgia fans that miss Mark Richt!

You are a true gentleman, Ara. Unfortunately, when it comes to Duo, I'd rather tell him to go pound sand in a rathole than giving a lengthy answer to one of his posts.

Love ya Alice and I agree Ara's a good guy that likes to talk about college football.

Ahh........found it!

According to DAWGS247, Vegas has ND as a 2 1/2 point favorite over Georgia. That would be just about the home field advantage. Seems about right this year for an 8-5 vs 4-8 for last year contest.

Last year the ACC beat up the SEC. Let's see if ND can give the SEC another OOC loss. :D

Who has to lose for this clown to depart? I assume I'll have to root for bama week one. Lesser of two evils.

We need to be able to play under Center. With as good as players we have on the left side of the line aat running back we should be able to impose our running game against some of our weaker opponents, at the very least.

Then against i wouldn't be surprised if we come out with 5 WR sets and such.

We need to be able to play under Center. With as good as players we have on the left side of the line aat running back we should be able to impose our running game against some of our weaker opponents, at the very least.

Radio..........

Good point! In the one year Long has been an OC he was known for passing a whole lot. So, we shall see. If you can move the ball consistently on the ground especially in the red zone it changes everything.

nor would I. Anyone expecting a major shift in offensive philosophy will be disappointed. I expect some tweaking but the foundation will remain. I have no problem with the offense. It's loaded with talent.

nor would I. Anyone expecting a major shift in offensive philosophy will be disappointed. I expect some tweaking but the foundation will remain. I have no problem with the offense. It's loaded with talent.
I don't expect a major shift in offensive philosophy, but I do expect significant tweaking. I expect to see the return of the TE as a major offensive weapon. I expect to see more passes to our running backs out of the backfield. I expect to see the return of the screen pass as an effective weapon. I think we'll see a lot of two TE formations and willingness to run more in general, and on critical short yardage situations specifically. And yes, I expect to see Wimbush under center several times per game. My only concern with the offense is with our RT position. Not at all sure that Kraemer is our best option. Wouldn't be surprised to see him moved to RG and Bars moved back to RT, or keep Bars at RG and see Eichenberg start at RT. Kraemer looked great run blocking at RT, but awkward and slow in pass protection. Not a small concern.

I know Coach Long has stressed the points you just mentioned several times over the winter. I'm hoping to see the 2009 Cincinnati offense this year. I think that offense would bring the buzz back to Notre Dame Stadium.

I know Coach Long has stressed the points you just mentioned several times over the winter. I'm hoping to see the 2009 Cincinnati offense this year. I think that offense would bring the buzz back to Notre Dame Stadium.

Ara........

Re: "I'm hoping to see the 2009 Cincinnati offense this year."

We fans look back and say remember thus and such and I wish they would do that again. The problem with that is DC's remember it too. Old hat strategies in CFB tend to peter out and become predictable a la Brian Kelly.

Take a look at the best coaches, Saban, Meyer, Fisher, Swinney, etc. They aren't running yester-years schemes. They are always adding, changing and modifying......going with whatever their new talent offers. It appears that may be happening at ND? We'll see!

BS. The only coach mentioned that has changed significantly is saban. The rest have shown no real changes to their offenses in years. ND hasn't won more games because of their defense, not their offense. Does the offense have some issues? Sure, but 9 out of 10 times, the defense is the culprit, not the offense.

I don't expect a major shift in offensive philosophy, but I do expect significant tweaking. I expect to see the return of the TE as a major offensive weapon. I expect to see more passes to our running backs out of the backfield. I expect to see the return of the screen pass as an effective weapon. I think we'll see a lot of two TE formations and willingness to run more in general, and on critical short yardage situations specifically. And yes, I expect to see Wimbush under center several times per game. My only concern with the offense is with our RT position. Not at all sure that Kraemer is our best option. Wouldn't be surprised to see him moved to RG and Bars moved back to RT, or keep Bars at RG and see Eichenberg start at RT. Kraemer looked great run blocking at RT, but awkward and slow in pass protection. Not a small concern.
I coached against kraemer and firmly believe he is best suited inside. That said Harry knows more than I ll ever hope too.

Reactions: Telx1
I coached against kraemer and firmly believe he is best suited inside. That said Harry knows more than I ll ever hope too.
Well, if you coached against Kraemer, you know more than I'll ever hope to. I don't think there is any question that Kraemer is much better suited to play inside, and I believe that is the intent when Bars moves on after this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT