ADVERTISEMENT

Now Rees will be on an equal playing field talent-wise

Gifted? I’m not sure I’d go that far, neutral on the guy, thought he had some creative designs and sets but never seemed to have a feel for play calling and often times felt he was out of sync throughout the course of the game, left me scratching my head every week. 12 yards in the 2nd half against Navy… Great move for him to learn under the greatest.
Hmmm, so your coaching evaluation is better than Saban's; any idea how laughable that is??

Again I just wonder what exactly Saban sees in TR or thinks he's getting. Not because Rees sucks or is a fraud or something like that. But the reason TR is an OC, and holds such an important, responsible position at such a young age is not because he's some universally recognized game-prepping, play-calling prodigy, it's because of his relationship with BK. And the fact that BK very clearly favors OCs, and anyone else who might enter his inner circle, who he is simpatico with, and quite frankly whom he can control. And that is the essential reason for TR's meteoric rise.

So I don't think if you're Bama that you're getting some genius, the proof of which is how else could he be OC at a program like ND that was either making or contending for the playoffs while Rees was on staff unless he was some sort of phenom? When the truth is in all likelihood very much as I described it. He's a good enough coach as far as it goes, and he's a BK favorite and pet, who will happily do things the BK way on offense, and that's why he's risen so high so fast.

Saban's great and all, but this is the same coach who hired Lane effin' Kiffin. And ex-alcoholic Steve Sarkisian. When he could have had his pick of top candidates. So Saban is willing take chances and this hire looks quite similar in that regard....

Again I just wonder what exactly Saban sees in TR or thinks he's getting. Not because Rees sucks or is a fraud or something like that. But the reason TR is an OC, and holds such an important, responsible position at such a young age is not because he's some universally recognized game-prepping, play-calling prodigy, it's because of his relationship with BK. And the fact that BK very clearly favors OCs, and anyone else who might enter his inner circle, who he is simpatico with, and quite frankly whom he can control. And that is the essential reason for TR's meteoric rise.

So I don't think if you're Bama that you're getting some genius, the proof of which is how else could he be OC at a program like ND that was either making or contending for the playoffs while Rees was on staff unless he was some sort of phenom? When the truth is in all likelihood very much as I described it. He's a good enough coach as far as it goes, and he's a BK favorite and pet, who will happily do things the BK way on offense, and that's why he's risen so high so fast.

Saban's great and all, but this is the same coach who hired Lane effin' Kiffin. And ex-alcoholic Steve Sarkisian. When he could have had his pick of top candidates. So Saban is willing take chances and this hire looks quite similar in that regard....
I think sometimes Saban hires guys to improve those he thinks have potential to mentor them.

Hmmm, so your coaching evaluation is better than Saban's; any idea how laughable that is??
We’ve been watching Rees closely for the better part of last 12 years, saban minimally…. Obviously saban knows what he’s doing and will be just fine

LSU hired Kelly to win titles soon, most of us don’t think that will happen. We’ll see who ends up right

Why can't some of you know nothing idiots just admit when you're wrong? Rees is a gifted, quality OC, well respected in the coaching ranks. We were damn lucky to have him on our staff. Saban recognized that and that's why he hired him. Rees is looking to further advance his career, as we all do/did, and working under Saban does that for him.
They all have knowledge, I saw too many spuddering offensive 3 and out games under him that drained a defense. My opinion is I'm glad he's gone. Excited to see Freeman hires next.

We’ve been watching Rees closely for the better part of last 12 years, saban minimally…. Obviously saban knows what he’s doing and will be just fine

LSU hired Kelly to win titles soon, most of us don’t think that will happen. We’ll see who ends up right
And Rees has been successful for 12 years. Nice deflection to Kelly though, as if that has anything to do with this discussion. Just be an adult an admit you are wrong, should be easy; most all of us know it anyway. The true test of character, admitting when you're wrong

And Rees has been successful for 12 years. Nice deflection to Kelly though, as if that has anything to do with this discussion. Just be an adult an admit you are wrong, should be easy; most all of us know it anyway. The true test of character, admitting when you're wrong
I dont understand your point. There's no new information.

For the pro or anti Rees crowds. I'm neutral so I don't really care.

Just your point doesn't make sense

Reactions: NDinNJ
It has everything to do with people watching him a ton and evaluating vs someone doing quick due diligence

Rees has had good moments but he’s never been even close to one of the best at his craft be it qb, qb coach or OC

It has everything to do with people watching him a ton and evaluating vs someone doing quick due diligence

Rees has had good moments but he’s never been even close to one of the best at his craft be it qb, qb coach or OC
So your 12 years of watching him should be weighed over Coach Sabans due diligence? Jesus you are a delusional moron. You literally prove how little you know with each ridiculously stupid post.

You are strawmanning my points. You are ignoring the entirety of the argument I'm making and then you're nitpicking the weakest parts of the point I'm making.

Forgive me for not clarifying that I meant *best available* coordinator.

Notre Dame fans like to believe that Notre Dame had the personnel on offense to compete to have elite offenses and win national titles and it was in fact Tom Rees who held back the offense/team. It's a biased and very convenient perspective. It's the idea that we don't need to change decades of s***** policies and incompetence that prevent ND from fielding great offenses, we just need a new offensive coordinator that isn't Brian Kelly's lap dog Tom Rees lol I think Bryan Driskell has been the biggest proponent of this viewpoint

This entire viewpoint minimizes all of the institutional limitations on Notre Dame's roster that prevent them from having the kind of personnel needed to being an elite offense and puts all of the onus of the offense's efficacy on the OCs shoulders. But Tom Rees turned out effective offenses despite bad quarterback situations bad skill player situations etc.

The offense has been unspectacular because the personnel on that side of the ball has been unspectacular. And despite those obstacles Rees has continually made Notre Dame's offense look at least serviceable/really good at times

Now he will have some of the best personnel on offense in the entire country with elite players, coaches, facilities, competent admins, etc. He'll then move on to some major power five head coaching job or NFL equivalent like sarkisian and kiffen before him while ND fans curl up in the fetal position with their thumbs in their mouth crying about bag chasers and academics
Overall I agree. Did Rees get a little too passy (case in point: 3rd qrt at Ohio State) at times, yes but let’s not act like he had experienced and or good players at WR and QB. You don’t lose to Marshall and Stanford solely based on scheme.

Overall I agree. Did Rees get a little too passy (case in point: 3rd qrt at Ohio State) at times, yes but let’s not act like he had experienced and or good players at WR and QB. You don’t lose to Marshall and Stanford solely based on scheme.
We’ll he’s solely responsible for recruiting and developing the QB position so that’s on him.. ND should be able to win both those games without ever throwing the ball, that’s how awful those 2 teams were. And 12 yards in the 2nd half against Navy? The 2nd half offensive collapse against Ok St? Some glaring lack of adjustments while the other DC figured something out scheme wise

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT