ADVERTISEMENT

Now Rees will be on an equal playing field talent-wise

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
We're going to learn real quick why Rees is such a respected offensive coordinator now that he will have at least as much talent as any team he'll face on the schedule

Reactions: Airzee23
We're going to learn real quick why Rees is such a respected offensive coordinator now that he will have at least as much talent as any team he'll face on the schedule
No. We'll know less. Every OC is successful at Bama because they are much more talented than every team they play besides maybe 1 team every year.

Rees is going to be successful at Alabama. Period. No doubt about it. And we wont know if he's a good OCor not.

No. We'll know less. Every OC is successful at Bama because they are much more talented than every team they play besides maybe 1 team every year.

Rees is going to be successful at Alabama. Period. No doubt about it. And we wont know if he's a good OCor not.
Thank you for agreeing with me

Thank you for agreeing with me
Didnt disagree with that part.

The part I disagreed with its a lateral, no. Bama OC is a better job then ND OC

And I think Rees wants to be an NFL OC. Going to Bama gives him the best shot at that, at least in a much faster time frame.

He’s going to be successful at Bama because they have a first and second team offense loaded with 4 Star talent. What ND should be worrying about is Bama couldn’t get a better OC than Rees.

What’s that mean for our chances at getting an equally talented replacement?

2-Million annually for 30-year-old Tommy Rees to be the OC at Alabama. That certainly beats being a MAC Head Coach.

Good for him.

Equal? He gets to coach an all-star roster every weekend. ND football is lifeless. He is very lucky to be in the position he’s in. He’s an ND alum so he’s not stupid. Every one of us would do what Tommy did.

I can’t wait for a new ND administration and AD. Let’s bring some life back to ND athletics!!!

Reactions: chaseball
As a fan, I’d like to think I’d have stayed and like Rees, maybe I would have once. Twice? Turning down generational wealth wouldn’t be an easy thing to do.

Why can't some of you know nothing idiots just admit when you're wrong? Rees is a gifted, quality OC, well respected in the coaching ranks. We were damn lucky to have him on our staff. Saban recognized that and that's why he hired him. Rees is looking to further advance his career, as we all do/did, and working under Saban does that for him.

Last edited:

Agreed. Tommy is in the deep water for the first time now without the life vest that working at ND provided.

This reminds me of a graph that charts the amount of finding out one is due in relationship with the amount of "F"ing around they are up to.

Tommy is about to find out and so are we.

I can't wait for the moment Saban tells Rees to "Do your f%#cking job!" 😂🤣
College Football Championship GIF by ESPN

This is definitely a situation for TR where you can only go down. I don't know if the Bama program is slipping or not, but 10-2 won't be good enough, that's why Bama went coach shopping. So the pressure is definitely on, and while I would expect Bama to keep right on rolling, the margin for error for TR will be slender.....

Reactions: lukeirish
Equal? He gets to coach an all-star roster every weekend. ND football is lifeless. He is very lucky to be in the position he’s in. He’s an ND alum so he’s not stupid. Every one of us would do what Tommy did.

I can’t wait for a new ND administration and AD. Let’s bring some life back to ND athletics!!!
Something to consider, and I know it's difficult. Notre Dame is a small school with high academic standards.

Reactions: BGI User 756
No, he will be on an advantaged field with Alabama's talent. About 90% of the teams, he plays will by overmatched.

Most games Rees had superior talent at ND too. I haven’t been as hard on him as others here and I don’t think this is addition by subtraction, it’s definitely not that big of a loss

Why can't some of you know nothing idiots just admit when you're wrong? Rees is a gifted, quality OC, well respected in the coaching ranks. We were damn lucky to have him on our staff. Saban recognized that and that's why he hired him. Rees is looking to further advance his career, as we all do/did, and working under Saban does that for him.
A good OC last year and we win 1-2 more games…. Rees is trending up but has not been good

A good OC last year and we win 1-2 more games…. Rees is trending up but has not been good
There I have it, the first idiot responds. Never ceases to amaze me just how shallow one can be. Perhaps you should be coaching at Alabama instead of Saban, I mean clearly you know more. Keep the comic entertainment coming

Most games Rees had superior talent at ND too. I haven’t been as hard on him as others here and I don’t think this is addition by subtraction, it’s definitely not that big of a loss
Notre Dame's talent has been heavily concentrated on the defensive side of the ball since 2015. Rees had really good offensive lines and tight ends but dog turd at the skill positions with few exceptions.

Going from Notre Dame to Alabama in terms of talent on the offensive side of the ball is like going from a Toyota to a Lambo

Every offensive coordinator in the country wants access to that kind of talent and a chance to be on Nick Saban's coaching tree yet our terrible OC was handpicked for the job at 30 years old no less.

Coach Tom Rees poached by Alabama is of course a net win for the Notre Dame organization /homer-ND-fan-logic

And everybody will be perplexed when Alabama wins a national title with a top five offense over the next few years while ND continues to max out at 10 wins and gets ran over by anybody relevant

Last edited:
Gifted? I’m not sure I’d go that far, neutral on the guy, thought he had some creative designs and sets but never seemed to have a feel for play calling and often times felt he was out of sync throughout the course of the game, left me scratching my head every week. 12 yards in the 2nd half against Navy… Great move for him to learn under the greatest.

Notre Dame's talent has been heavily concentrated on the defensive side of the ball since 2015. Rees had really good offensive lines and tight ends but dog turd at the skill positions with few exceptions.

Going from Notre Dame to Alabama in terms of talent on the offensive side of the ball is like going from a Toyota to a Lambo

Every offensive coordinator in the country wants access to that kind of talent and a chance to be on Nick Saban's coaching tree yet our terrible OC was handpicked for the job at 30 years old no less.

Coach Tom Rees poached by Alabama is of course a net win for the Notre Dame organization /homer-ND-fan-logic

And everybody will be perplexed when Alabama wins a national title with a top five offense over the next few years while ND continues to max out at 10 wins and gets ran over by anybody relevant
Why would anybody be perplexed if the status quo for the last 15 years continues?

Gifted? I’m not sure I’d go that far, neutral on the guy, thought he had some creative designs and sets but never seemed to have a feel for play calling and often times felt he was out of sync throughout the course of the game, left me scratching my head every week. 12 yards in the 2nd half against Navy… Great move for him to learn under the greatest.
How is he not gifted? He became a QB coach at Notre Dame at like 25 years old. He's been nothing but promoted since then and tied to every major offensive coordinator job opening over the last several years and now he probably has the most coveted coordinator position in all of college football and he's just barely 30 years old

Why would anybody be perplexed if the status quo for the last 15 years continues?
That is a really good question. I have no answers. I chalk it up to "ND fan logic" which means there's probably no logic involved at all

How is he not gifted? He became a QB coach at Notre Dame at like 25 years old. He's been nothing but promoted since then and tied to every major offensive coordinator job opening over the last several years and now he probably has the most coveted coordinator position in all of college football and he's just barely 30 years old
Well, Kelly gave him the job so Kelly can be in control of the offense with little to no pushback. Did he deserve that position at that time, probably not

Reactions: bizzybecknd

Saban could have chose anybody for the most coveted coordinator job in the country yet he chose Tom Rees. The greatest college football coach of all time chose Tom Rees for the most important assistant coach job in his organization.

As of right now that is the best objective indicator of Rees skill that we have.

When you're competing with the entirety of college football for the top coordinator job in college football and you get the job over all of the available candidates that should say it all

Well, Kelly gave him the job so Kelly can be in control of the offense with little to no pushback. Did he deserve that position at that time, probably not
No that's the narrative in the media/rumor mill fodder

we don't have any clue as to how Brian Kelly delegated responsibilities to Tom Rees or how much trust or leash he was awarded while offensive coordinator under kelly

Saban could have chose anybody for the most coveted coordinator job in the country yet he chose Tom Rees. The greatest college football coach of all time chose Tom Rees for the most important assistant coach job in his organization.

As of right now that is the best objective indicator of Rees skill that we have.

When you're competing with the entirety of college football for the top coordinator job in college football and you get the job over all of the available candidates that should say it all
Bill Belichick (a better coach than Saban) hired Joe Judge and Matt Patricia as his OCs last year. Disaster, replaced after 1 year. That doesn't prove anything that Saban wants him.

TR is respected, doesn't tell me is good.

TR will be successful because every single game outside of maybe 1 Alabama will have a huge talent advantage.

We won't know how good Rees is until he gets his next job. Or if he struggles at Alabama, then his career will take a downturn

To be determined

Reactions: bizzybecknd
No that's the narrative in the media/rumor mill fodder

we don't have any clue as to how Brian Kelly delegated responsibilities to Tom Rees or how much trust or leash he was awarded while offensive coordinator under kelly
People in the know reported otherwise. Insiders that give honest reliable information. I'll go with what they are saying along with some common sense.

You can believe the fairy tale

No, he will be on an advantaged field with Alabama's talent. About 90% of the teams, he plays will by overmatched.
Which is a position every offensive coordinator in the country wants to be in. When you are tasked with driving the best car it usually means you are the best driver

Which is a position every offensive coordinator in the country wants to be in. When you are tasked with driving the best car it usually means you are the best driver
So now you are saying TR is the best OC in all of cfb lol

I never thought Bill Obrien was near the best and he had the job last year

He’s going to be successful at Bama because they have a first and second team offense loaded with 4 Star talent. What ND should be worrying about is Bama couldn’t get a better OC than Rees.

What’s that mean for our chances at getting an equally talented replacement?
Four-star talent? They have a virtual monopoly on top 5 prospects at nearly every position across the board.

Reactions: HRC08
So now you are saying TR is the best OC in all of cfb lol

I never thought Bill Obrien was near the best and he had the job last year
You are strawmanning my points. You are ignoring the entirety of the argument I'm making and then you're nitpicking the weakest parts of the point I'm making.

Forgive me for not clarifying that I meant *best available* coordinator.

Notre Dame fans like to believe that Notre Dame had the personnel on offense to compete to have elite offenses and win national titles and it was in fact Tom Rees who held back the offense/team. It's a biased and very convenient perspective. It's the idea that we don't need to change decades of s***** policies and incompetence that prevent ND from fielding great offenses, we just need a new offensive coordinator that isn't Brian Kelly's lap dog Tom Rees lol I think Bryan Driskell has been the biggest proponent of this viewpoint

This entire viewpoint minimizes all of the institutional limitations on Notre Dame's roster that prevent them from having the kind of personnel needed to being an elite offense and puts all of the onus of the offense's efficacy on the OCs shoulders. But Tom Rees turned out effective offenses despite bad quarterback situations bad skill player situations etc.

The offense has been unspectacular because the personnel on that side of the ball has been unspectacular. And despite those obstacles Rees has continually made Notre Dame's offense look at least serviceable/really good at times

Now he will have some of the best personnel on offense in the entire country with elite players, coaches, facilities, competent admins, etc. He'll then move on to some major power five head coaching job or NFL equivalent like sarkisian and kiffen before him while ND fans curl up in the fetal position with their thumbs in their mouth crying about bag chasers and academics

Last edited:
You are strawmanning my points. You are ignoring the entirety of the argument I'm making and then you're nitpicking the weakest parts of the point I'm making.

Forgive me for not clarifying that I meant *best available* coordinator.

Notre Dame fans like to believe that Notre Dame had the personnel on offense to compete to have elite offenses and win national titles and it was in fact Tom Rees who held back the offense/team. It's a bias perspective and hack ND media writer logic. I think Bryan Driskell has been the biggest proponent of this viewpoint

This entire viewpoint minimizes all of the institutional limitations on Notre Dame's roster that prevent them from having the kind of personnel needed to being an elite offense and puts all of the onus of the offense's efficacy on the OCs shoulders. But Tom Rees turned out effective offenses despite bad quarterback situations bad skill player situations and just generally poor offensive player personnel at Notre Dame his entire tenure here.

The offense has been bad because the personnel on that side of the ball has been bad and despite those obstacles Rees has continually made Notre Dame's offense look at least serviceable/really good at times

Now he will have some of the best personnel on offense in the entire country with elite players all over the field. He'll then move on to some major power five head coaching job like sarkisian and kiffen before him while ND fans curl up in the fetal position with their thumbs in their mouth crying about bag chasers and academics
We didnt have bad personnel. Thats nonsense. What is it elite or Bama level, no. Was it bad, also no

NFL rosters full of ND players … except at tue position Rees coached. He was not at a big disadvantage and did a very good job play calling, a reasonably good job game planning, and a below average job recruiting and developing players especially QBs. The biggest reason for Rees to move to Bama is he can learn from and be challenged by Saban. With Kelly gone there is no one to push and mentor him at ND. He has a lot to learn and he hasn’t improved much and arguable got worse when Kelly left.

Ok, I think we can agree he was gifted a few jobs by his college coach

ADVERTISEMENT