ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame @ NC game thread

2 things that frustrate me about this D:

1. Outside/edge contain
2. QBs taking off for first downs
I don't know, I think the D looks fine, looks good, and has all season. And I don't even like Al Golden. But mainly I just don't care for him, he could be the greatest DC of his generation for all I know.

Bottom line the defense has been solid all season thus far. And even better today I would say....

They are one dimensional right mow and he's been knocked down quite a few times.
He wouldn't be a good fit for our offense. Someone like Slovis seems like he would have been an ideal philosophical/temperamental fit for ND's BK/Rees methodical offense. But after today, maybe we don't need a transfer! Seriously, this is like night and day. It's too bad Buchner had to go down like he did, but Pyne is stepping into the breach...

Drake Maybe looks and plays like a HS kid almost....

My impression is Freeman and Rees have found the most optimal offensive identity by accident. I don’t think Buchner could have done what Pyne is now doing as a thrower…with the passing game opening up because of some power run.

I think NC is not very good. But ND is much improved and better in this game. We will see the rest of the season…but this sure looks better!

Thats ok...no need to panic. Keep doing what you were doing. Bleed the clock, take away any momentum they got. And leave with the W.

The Irish can't get too conservative. Way too much time left.
Need some points every possession.

Reactions: rgc7
My impression is Freeman and Rees have found the most optimal offensive identity by accident. I don’t think Buchner could have done what Pyne is now doing as a thrower…with the passing game opening up because of some power run.

I think NC is not very good. But ND is much improved and better in this game. We will see the rest of the season…but this sure looks better!
Who knows, Pyne is a perfectly capable passer, and so was Buchner, if this offense is flowing and executing smoothly enough.

I definitely don't think of Pyne as some sort of improvement in any way on Buchner. But there's no reason he can't make ND's basic offense work good. If we're getting this kind of blocking and solid execution.

Reactions: banmate6
Who knows, Pyne is a perfectly capable passer, and so was Buchner, if this offense is flowing and executing smoothly enough.

I definitely don't think of Pyne as some sort of improvement in any way on Buchner. But there's no reason he can't make ND's basic offense work good. If we're getting this kind of blocking and solid execution.
The sample size on Buchner or Pyne for that matter is way too small to make any conclusions. I will say this... Buchner had no run game to support him in the first 2 games. Yes, Buchner didn't play well against Marshall but to be fair. No one played well in that game. Since Pyne took over the OL and run game has been much better. That will benefit any QB.

Reactions: banmate6

I could be wrong, but don’t think Buchner is a good passer and lacks pocket composure. He’s a better athlete and runner than Pyne, but not QB.

No doubt it helps the OL is playing better, which helps. Team just looks better with Pyne, who seems to grow quarter by quarter.

The sample size on Buchner or Pyne for that matter is way too small to make any conclusions. I will say this... Buchner had no run game to support him in the first 2 games. Yes, Buchner didn't play well against Marshall but to be fair. No one played well in that game. Since Pyne took over the OL and run game has been much better. That will benefit any QB.
Indeed, the offense was crap the first couple of weeks. And what of course is so frustrating is that Buchner went down overcompensating for those deficiencies. But that's football I suppose, injuries are part and parcel.

However, notwithstanding Pyne's inferior abilities, such as they are, IMO compared with Buchner, it probably shouldn't matter that much if the offense is going to be as high-functioning as it is today. Either one could do the job. In fact with Pyne in there, there'll be less temptation to stray from what works...

Nice that they're scoring a lot of points and all, but Carolina's defense is a complete travesty. For many reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT