ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame @ NC game thread

Push off on Mickey but that will never be called unfortunately

Downs is a stud

ND defense is great. Til they need to be. I called it when they gave up that 3rd down. “Gonna let UNC back in now”

Play calling looks good. Oline is moving people. RBs are starting to run had. And Pyne throws a nice ball.

Good, just kick the FG.

This is fine, this is great. This looks no different than when Ian Book was running the show. Looks and feels like exactly the same offense. Especially with Pyne in there.

Did not think that we had the offense, even against a terrible defense, to put up 24 in one half. Maybe this team has found their identity.

Good decision to take 3 points. 2 possession lead at halftime.

To me, ND looks better when emphasizing run game. Diggs, Estime, and Tyree seem like a solid set of running backs.

Did not think that we had the offense, even against a terrible defense, to put up 24 in one half. Maybe this team has found their identity.
Well this is what's frustrating to me about Rees. In the 2nd quarter he got more creative abd went horizontal. Usually he doesn't build off of his creative Plays. This time he did and the offense showed a lot of momentum.

Just think. If Bracy stopped that score and Mickey stopped that long pass. UNC may only have 7 points or less.
It doesn't work that way. If what you say had happened, the game, and reality itself would have gone down a completely different path, and the score wouldn't necessarily be 24-7. In fact it likely wouldn't. Surely you understand this....

But that's okay, because the offense is looking great! Like I say, very much like a typical routine victory when Book was the QB and the offense was performing rather proficiently. So that's very good....

One of the best 2nd quarters in ND history....and it starts with the O-Line....Good decision making by Pyne, even on the incomplete passes the reads were correct...consistency is key though...let's go.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Gotta come out and run it down their throats first drive. If our offense line keeps asserting their dominance we will win, even if Maye makes a few more plays

Good, just kick the FG.

This is fine, this is great. This looks no different than when Ian Book was running the show. Looks and feels like exactly the same offense. Especially with Pyne in there.

I agree. It can be a decent season if the Irish play like this consistently.

Pyne is settling in, seems to be growing more confident. He needs clearance due to his height. Throws effectively when he does.

Tommy is also progressively is calling a better game. Similar offense to last year. Emphasize power and run.

BTW: Styles looks like he has some athleticism. Receiving corps aside from Mayer isn’t playing a significant part so far.

If by identity you mean running about the same offense we've been running, for let's just say the last four years, which I would describe as a particularly effective, capable offense, that led ND to many, many victories.....

Then yes, I agree, we've found our identity! It's what I assumed ND figured they would be getting by retaining Tommy Rees. In fact this first half puts me in mind of when Book first took over for Wimbush....

It doesn't work that way. If what you say had happened, the game, and reality itself would have gone down a completely different path, and the score wouldn't necessarily be 24-7. In fact it likely wouldn't. Surely you understand this....

But that's okay, because the offense is looking great! Like I say, very much like a typical routine victory when Book was the QB and the offense was performing rather proficiently. So that's very good....
No argument there. Just fanstizing about how much better ND could be doing right now.

I agree. It can be a decent season if the Irish play like this consistently.

Pyne is settling in, seems to be growing more confident. He needs clearance due to his height. Throws effectively when he does.

Tommy is also progressively is calling a better game. Similar offense to last year. Emphasize power and run.

BTW: Styles looks like he has some athleticism. Receiving corps aside from Meyer isn’t playing a significant part so far.
I have no idea whether or not Rees is calling a good game or not. I would have assumed that regardless of who the QB was/is, regardless of the opponent, that our offense was pretty much going to look like it looked these last four seasons. There'd be zero reason to think that Rees was going to stray much from that, for any number of reasons...

Perhaps the play calling is leaning more towards the even easier/safer/conservative side, but the OL play certainly seems better, and the execution in general. Which to my inexpert eyes was the problem these first few weeks. And not the play calling. It all looks about the same to me, but we couldn't string plays together, and now we are...

In any case, given Pyne's passing limitations, which IMO are not that bad, and he's a capable enough passer, this methodical style of offense is the way to go, and always was....

No argument there. Just fanstizing about how much better ND could be doing right now.
I hear you. All I will say is that the offense looks great. It looks like a typical good ND offense of recent vintage. And with Pyne being such a close physical resemblance to Ian Book, the similarity between this first half, and some random easy win over whoever, circa 2019, let's say, is uncanny.....

Like these last three weeks didn't even happen. I guess UNC's defense is not great, but still, it appears our offense has returned....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT