ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame calls on Congress to save college sports.

You can't unring a bell
what is said is said
what is done is done

This is something that should have been tried years ago; too late now

In the climate of todays culture, this was all inevitable. The corruption and stupidity of the NCAA just muddled things. venality of the times. me me me me
This fits right in
where it is going to end who knows
I find myself less and less interested in college football; the same in pro football, actually the same in pretty much all sports
so many of those involved are so very unlikeable

If players become employees, will there be anything in their contracts about actually going to school? And/or will there be a splurge in fake classes, aka North Carolina, just to keep players "eligible" to be employees?

You can't unring a bell
what is said is said
what is done is done

This is something that should have been tried years ago; too late now

In the climate of todays culture, this was all inevitable. The corruption and stupidity of the NCAA just muddled things. venality of the times. me me me me
This fits right in
where it is going to end who knows
I find myself less and less interested in college football; the same in pro football, actually the same in pretty much all sports
so many of those involved are so very unlikeable
Amen. The NCAA had numerous opportunities to get in front of this issue in a proactive manner but instead chose to stick their collective heads in the sand. Absolutely no one should be blaming the athletes for where we are today. Their concerns had fallen on deaf ears for a long long time and now the NCAA wants someone else to protect them from themselves. Good luck with that.

If they just turn it into minor league pro sports, that would lessen its appeal for me, certainly. That would be a shame.

College sports should be for amateur student-athletes.

Reactions: d1042
If they just turn it into minor league pro sports, that would lessen its appeal for me, certainly. That would be a shame.

College sports should be for amateur student-athletes.
The volume of money being generated by those athletes is anything but amateur. They deserve to share in it.

The volume of money being generated by those athletes is anything but amateur. They deserve to share in it.
Although the current players didn't invent the sport, or build the history and tradition of the game, which is why it's so popular. If you took these same players and put them on generic minor league football teams and started up a minor league football league for 18-22 year-olds, it wouldn't be nearly as popular. So they benefit from the history and tradition of the game, which is what made it so popular. So while they're helping to generate money by being the players, they also benefit from the history and tradition of the game over the last 125 years.

And they also get a free education and top level coaching to help them get to the next (professional) level.

If my daughter could have received a free college education including room and board, and simply play competitive volleyball, I would have gladly signed up.

In your opinion
Not just mine. You disagree ? Please elaborate given all the particulars. I'm guessing you don't have all the available information at your disposal as I do. Do you even know how or why the whole movement started and when ? I suggest you educate yourself or just stay in your lane.

Although the current players didn't invent the sport, or build the history and tradition of the game, which is why it's so popular. If you took these same players and put them on generic minor league football teams and started up a minor league football league for 18-22 year-olds, it wouldn't be nearly as popular. So they benefit from the history and tradition of the game, which is what made it so popular. So while they're helping to generate money by being the players, they also benefit from the history and tradition of the game over the last 125 years.

And they also get a free education and top level coaching to help them get to the next (professional) level.
Your not saying anything that everyone doesn't already know. Unless you truly know how and why the whole thing started then you can't truly have an informed opinion. The whole movement started with the goal of allowing all student athletes on scholarship the same opportunities of any student on full scholarship. The NCAA disagreed and the courts have since determined that student athletes actually do have rights. That has snowballed into what we have currently which is chaos. Fortunately for me the company I work for is benefitting greatly due to our expertise in the field. Our consulting revenue is exploding.

Not just mine. You disagree ? Please elaborate given all the particulars. I'm guessing you don't have all the available information at your disposal as I do. Do you even know how or why the whole movement started and when ? I suggest you educate yourself or just stay in your lane.
No one is forcing the players to play in college. If they want to find a different avenue to make the NFL they are welcome to do so. No one is stopping them.

They are getting 4 to 5 years of free education, free room and board, a stipend, money from a collective and the ability to get NIL money plus gear and more. They are doing just fine

I could care less about the movement. That's irrelevant to me as can be.

If they would start a minor league for the NFL they wouldn't make shit.

No one is forcing the players to play in college. If they want to find a different avenue to make the NFL they are welcome to do so. No one is stopping them.

They are getting 4 to 5 years of free education, free room and board, a stipend, money from a collective and the ability to get NIL money plus gear and more. They are doing just fine

I could care less about the movement. That's irrelevant to me as can be.

If they would start a minor league for the NFL they wouldn't make shit.
Like I said, if the NCAA ever wanted to grant my volleyball playing daughter a completely free 4-5 year college education, hand me a pen, and we will gladly sign.

Reactions: NDinNJ and mbd11

Best post in the thread.

By far.

Reactions: mbd11
First time I remember agreeing with Fr Jenkins since he fired Ty. And the first time I have supported federal government oversight since . . . I will get back to you.

What we have now is the sport being ruled by big media and conferences. They decide by what is best for ESPN and the SEC. That is what is worse for Baylor and the PAC. Colleges receiving federal funding should be prevented from forming an NFL type cartel that serves only the most powerful institutions.

Reactions: NDinNJ and sjb75
First time I remember agreeing with Fr Jenkins since he fired Ty. And the first time I have supported federal government oversight since . . . I will get back to you.

What we have now is the sport being ruled by big media and conferences. They decide by what is best for ESPN and the SEC. That is what is worse for Baylor and the PAC. Colleges receiving federal funding should be prevented from forming an NFL type cartel that serves only the most powerful institutions.
In our world more than ever before Money is all that matters

Yes, agreed. If every player from ND instead played on an XFL team called the South Bend Shamrocks, they would be lucky to play in front of 5000 fans.

But players won't be getting all of the money they generate. Just a cut. It isn't worth fighting because it is going to happen. Adapt and adjust.

Your not saying anything that everyone doesn't already know. Unless you truly know how and why the whole thing started then you can't truly have an informed opinion. The whole movement started with the goal of allowing all student athletes on scholarship the same opportunities of any student on full scholarship. The NCAA disagreed and the courts have since determined that student athletes actually do have rights. That has snowballed into what we have currently which is chaos. Fortunately for me the company I work for is benefitting greatly due to our expertise in the field. Our consulting revenue is exploding.
Must admit, I don't pay much attention to the legal cases about this stuff. But all I can say is, between NIL opportunities, free room, board and tuition, top level coaching and other benefits, IMO they get plenty enough already. I don't think the schools themselves need to be paying the student-athletes directly as well.

The cynic in me kind of believes this was always inevitable. The NCAA stupidity just speeded things up
The way our culture and society is now pretty much mandated this sooner or later. between the selfishness of me me me and the knee jerk going to court over every little thing. To greed which saw all this money and wanted part of it. so many things contributed to this moment.

That's a simplistic view of college athletics. You are talking about the money generated by FOOTBALL. That is the only revenue-positive sport on many campuses. If you're paying the football team, what does Title IX dictate for salaries on the women's swimming team whose revenue is underwater (no pun intended).

That's a simplistic view of college athletics. You are talking about the money generated by FOOTBALL. That is the only revenue-positive sport on many campuses. If you're paying the football team, what does Title IX dictate for salaries on the women's swimming team whose revenue is underwater (no pun intended).

The numbers vary from program to program, but if the football team generates a profit of say $150 million, and you now have to pay the players $25 million, there will still be a good amount for the other sports.

Some fat will need to be trimmed, but this isn't the end for all non revenue college sports.

That’s not correct, this was a player centric movement that had nothing to do with ESPN and the SEC

The numbers vary from program to program, but if the football team generates a profit of say $150 million, and you now have to pay the players $25 million, there will still be a good amount for the other sports.

Some fat will need to be trimmed, but this isn't the end for all non revenue college sports.
I don't think you understand the situation. If the football team generates a profit of $150 million, that money is already being spent on scholies and team expenses for volleyball, gymnastics, golf, wrestling, hockey, etc. So if you spend $25 million to pay football players, there is now even LESS money available to pay the women's volleyball players.

Ohio State supports a whopping 36 athletic teams. Men's hoops makes a little profit but other than football, the rest of those teams are revenue negative. And now you're gonna pay all of them equal salaries? And of course Title IX demands that women be paid the same as the men.

You're misinformed.

Reactions: NDinNJ
I don't think you understand the situation. If the football team generates a profit of $150 million, that money is already being spent on scholies and team expenses for volleyball, gymnastics, golf, wrestling, hockey, etc. So if you spend $25 million to pay football players, there is now even LESS money available to pay the women's volleyball players.

Ohio State supports a whopping 36 athletic teams. Men's hoops makes a little profit but other than football, the rest of those teams are revenue negative. And now you're gonna pay all of them equal salaries? And of course Title IX demands that women be paid the same as the men.

I understand. As I already wrote, some fat will have to be cut. There is no reason that EVERY sport needs to be division one. Some sports should go back to being non scholarship. And some should become local club sports.

Many of these sports used to operate just fine on 10% of their current budget. And I am not ever going to shed tears for Ohio State's luxury sports department.

You are clueless. 90% of FBS athletic departments are running in the red each year, and require either tax dollars, and/or the school to fund the deficit. Everyone believes foitball is this massive revenue generator for universities, when in reality in most cases it's barely 3% of a universities entire revenue. Rutgers is a perfect example of how most schools operate.

Reactions: Quix0te
You are clueless. 90% of FBS athletic departments are running in the red each year, and require either tax dollars, and/or the school to fund the deficit. Everyone believes foitball is this massive revenue generator for universities, when in reality in most cases it's barely 3% of a universities entire revenue. Rutgers is a perfect example of how most schools operate.
The University can make the department appear to be a profit or a loss. Rutgers is in the highest paid conference. IF they are reporting a loss it is because they are poorly managed.

I understand. As I already wrote, some fat will have to be cut. There is no reason that EVERY sport needs to be division one. Some sports should go back to being non scholarship. And some should become local club sports.

Many of these sports used to operate just fine on 10% of their current budget. And I am not ever going to shed tears for Ohio State's luxury sports department.
SO those sports should scrimp and watch the football team get luxuries?
The Elites make pigs of themselves while all others beg for scraps. You happy with that?

As I read the statement it says that: (1) a interactive enterprise should have certain fundamental over-riding rules, and since the prior rules are gone, we need Congress to fill the vacuum; and (2) student athletes should not be employees. I am not sure about the latter. I worked for ND for 3 years as a student. I was a student and an employee. How do you pay someone for their services if they are not an employee? My point is being a student (subject to the student code) and an employee (requiring being a student in good standing) are not necessarily mutually exclusive. It's complicated for sure, but we can't have 50 rules, and state and federal labor laws, and Title 9., and antitrust all swimming about and expect sanity. So as frustrating as Congress can be, I agree with point 1 and believe it could address point 2 in a fair manner. Good for ND for making the clarion call!!

The University can make the department appear to be a profit or a loss. Rutgers is in the highest paid conference. IF they are reporting a loss it is because they are poorly managed.
I suggest you re-read my comment, it's not just Rutgers, over 90% of FBS schools athletic departments are running at a loss. If you want me to prove it, I suggest you educate yourself and read some articles on the subject before you spew drivel.
A direct quote from this article.
"Only 28 of these intercollegiate athletic programs generated more revenues than expenses in 2021-22 and 98.6 percent had operating losses covered by institutions using tuition and mandatory activity fee dollars generated from all students."

Universities ought get out of the biz of professional sports and concentrate on educating ‘the dumbest generation’.

I look at those whining about giving some of the massive revenue generated by football to other sports and I wonder how they would feel if a son or daughter was in one of those sports?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT