ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame calls on Congress to save college sports.

I understand. As I already wrote, some fat will have to be cut. There is no reason that EVERY sport needs to be division one. Some sports should go back to being non scholarship. And some should become local club sports.

Many of these sports used to operate just fine on 10% of their current budget. And I am not ever going to shed tears for Ohio State's luxury sports department.
No, it appears you do not understand. Do you really want to cut scholarships of non-revenue sports so that there will be enough money to pay football players? Is that a serious proposal? And the reason that Ohio State has 36 teams on scholarship is because of the money generated by football. That isn't a luxury. And the Buckeyes' AD is a domer.

And don't forget about Title IX. If you pay football players, which women athletes get paid? And how much? Less?

Last edited:
No, it appears you do not understand. Do you really want to cut scholarships of non-revenue sports so that there will be enough money to pay football players? Is that a serious proposal? And the reason that Ohio State has 36 teams on scholarship is because of the money generated by football. That isn't a luxury. And the Buckeyes' AD is a domer.

And don't forget about Title IX. If you pay football players, which women athletes get paid. And how much? Less?
The snakes have opened a can of worms”.”

Reactions: Quix0te and NDinNJ
As I read the statement it says that: (1) a interactive enterprise should have certain fundamental over-riding rules, and since the prior rules are gone, we need Congress to fill the vacuum; and (2) student athletes should not be employees. I am not sure about the latter. I worked for ND for 3 years as a student. I was a student and an employee. How do you pay someone for their services if they are not an employee? My point is being a student (subject to the student code) and an employee (requiring being a student in good standing) are not necessarily mutually exclusive. It's complicated for sure, but we can't have 50 rules, and state and federal labor laws, and Title 9., and antitrust all swimming about and expect sanity. So as frustrating as Congress can be, I agree with point 1 and believe it could address point 2 in a fair manner. Good for ND for making the clarion call!!
As I understand it, the employer or their insurance is on the hook for life due to a workplace injury. Not something the Us want into.
I suggest you re-read my comment, it's not just Rutgers, over 90% of FBS schools athletic departments are running at a loss. If you want me to prove it, I suggest you educate yourself and read some articles on the subject before you spew drivel.
A direct quote from this article.
"Only 28 of these intercollegiate athletic programs generated more revenues than expenses in 2021-22 and 98.6 percent had operating losses covered by institutions using tuition and mandatory activity fee dollars generated from all students."

And you swallowed it whole. Do you actually think the ones operating at a 'loss' are that different from the ones who break even? Did you believe some schools just have another $40 million in expenses unique to their campus?

And don't forget about Title IX. If you pay football players, which women athletes get paid? And how much? Less?

I understand. You do not.

Do I "want" to cut non-profit sports &/or scholarships? Not particularly; but I would if that is what it takes to balance the athletic department's budget. That is the job of an AD. To have a balanced athletic department budget. If the AD can't get people to donate enough money to keep the crew teams paid for, then it may be time to ditch crew. That is what a serious adult would do.

I am not forgetting title IX. The women athletes who bring in money (probably just the basketball team at ND) would get paid. They would get paid the same percentage that the men's football team brings in. So if the women's basketball team makes a profit of $1.5 million, they would get $250K in total in pay.

Related to greed-induced absurdity, do we have any games scheduled with our new ACC rivals SMU? Do people think the ACC will dissolve before that series gets started?

Do I "want" to cut non-profit sports &/or scholarships? Not particularly; but I would if that is what it takes to balance the athletic department's budget. That is the job of an AD. To have a balanced athletic department budget. If the AD can't get people to donate enough money to keep the crew teams paid for, then it may be time to ditch crew. That is what a serious adult would do.

I am not forgetting title IX. The women athletes who bring in money (probably just the basketball team at ND) would get paid. They would get paid the same percentage that the men's football team brings in. So if the women's basketball team makes a profit of $1.5 million, they would get $250K in total in pay.
Do any other forum readers agree with Ivan’s strategy? Cut non-revenue sports or drop them down to club level so that more money is available to pay football players. Pay chump change to women’s basketball while men’s hoops players get ten times as much. Do you think that would that pass muster with Title IX?

There really is nothing to say to someone so fixated on the almighty dollar that nothing else matters

One challenge is that scholarships and per diems for expenses are generally not taxable income, but there is no tax exempt status for payment for services. Nor is there an available status other than employee (I.e., these are not independent contractors). Another challenge is the equal treatment requirements for a program under Title IX. That is why ND wrote the letter and why Sankey travels to DC regularly to meet with Congress. There is no plan and unless the power brokers develop one, it is going to be a rough ride. On the other hand, this giant reset (if it happens) might somehow add some equity and certainty.

One challenge is that scholarships and per diems for expenses are generally not taxable income, but there is no tax exempt status for payment for services. Nor is there an available status other than employee (I.e., these are not independent contractors). Another challenge is the equal treatment requirements for a program under Title IX. That is why ND wrote the letter and why Sankey travels to DC regularly to meet with Congress. There is no plan and unless the power brokers develop one, it is going to be a rough ride. On the other hand, this giant reset (if it happens) might somehow add some equity and certainty.
I hope you are right but anything that has the Federal Government involved...
They are already in the process of destroying womens sports by letting transgenders compete

Do any other forum readers agree with Ivan’s strategy? Cut non-revenue sports or drop them down to club level so that more money is available to pay football players. Pay chump change to women’s basketball while men’s hoops players get ten times as much. Do you think that would that pass muster with Title IX?
No. I don't see what that would solve.

We could use Congress to wrest control of the sport away from big conference and their media masters and back to the sport.

As I understand it, the employer or their insurance is on the hook for life due to a workplace injury. Not something the Us want into.

And you swallowed it whole. Do you actually think the ones operating at a 'loss' are that different from the ones who break even? Did you believe some schools just have another $40 million in expenses unique to their campus?

No, even the programs showing a profit, those profits are slim. l'm not for pay for play, but I believe something needs to be done to fix the current situation.

The clowns on here that believe money is just flowing and all the programs are lush with cash are lacking rudimentary accounting skills. They don't understand there are expenses involved, and investments being made. Most programs don't have a strong alumnus with deep pockets like ND, Texas, Michigan, etc. where they can simply collect donations to pay for facilities improvements, and other projects. Most programs are forced to take out loans for those projects, and as there revenue increases, there expenditures increase in an effort to keep up with the other programs.

Oh, come on. Fox and the Big Ten is somehow different that NBC and ND? Explain that to me.
Seriously? a network that contracted with one school and never created or destroyed a conference?
No, even the programs showing a profit, those profits are slim. l'm not for pay for play, but I believe something needs to be done to fix the current situation.

The clowns on here that believe money is just flowing and all the programs are lush with cash are lacking rudimentary accounting skills. They don't understand there are expenses involved, and investments being made. Most programs don't have a strong alumnus with deep pockets like ND, Texas, Michigan, etc. where they can simply collect donations to pay for facilities improvements, and other projects. Most programs are forced to take out loans for those projects, and as there revenue increases, there expenditures increase in an effort to keep up with the other programs.
That's the best example of the creative accounting and unnecessary expenses. A U can choose to build a new opulent stadium, or not. And they can put that in the athletic budget, or not.

Seriously? a network that contracted with one school and never created or destroyed a conference?
That comment did not respond to my question. After the recent new round of TV contracts, Swarbrick openly campaigned for NBC to pay ND the same as the schools in the SEC and Big Ten. The SEC and Big Ten negotiated the best deal they could get, then ND did the same with NBC. So explain how those two conferences are groveling to their “media masters” and ND is not.

That comment did not respond to my question. After the recent new round of TV contracts, Swarbrick openly campaigned for NBC to pay ND the same as the schools in the SEC and Big Ten. The SEC and Big Ten negotiated the best deal they could get, then ND did the same with NBC. So explain how those two conferences are groveling to their “media masters” and ND is not.
ESPN holds a grant of rights over the ACC (that is voidable starting in 2027 by ESPN only) that can and probably will destroy the ACC. That means ESPN probably controls the fate of the ACC and has substantial leverage over the conferences that might receive teams from that conference. FOX and ESPN just had a major impact on the implosion is the PAC 12--through pro rata expansion clauses that encouraged raiding. You can quibble about whether that makes them "media masters" but it's just rhetorical dancing around--because yes, the networks have taken on a major role in the direction of the sport.

FOX and ESPN just had a major impact on the implosion is the PAC 12--through pro rata expansion clauses that encouraged raiding.
That is complete horse feces. All of the major carriers, including NBC, bid on the TV contracts for the Big Ten and SEC. Both CBS and NBC had exactly the same pro rata expansion clauses in their contracts as Fox and ESPN.

The Pac-12 imploded because the Pac-12 Network was a train wreck from Day One and Commish George Kliavkoff could not get a TV contract with the major networks that paid out per school even half what the Big Ten and SEC settled for. That's why USC and UCLA bolted.

That is complete horse feces. All of the major carriers, including NBC, bid on the TV contracts for the Big Ten and SEC. Both CBS and NBC had exactly the same pro rata expansion clauses in their contracts as Fox and ESPN.

The Pac-12 imploded because the Pac-12 Network was a train wreck from Day One and Commish George Kliavkoff could not get a TV contract with the major networks that paid out per school even half what the Big Ten and SEC settled for. That's why USC and UCLA bolted.
Larry Scott is the reason for the PAC 12’s demise.

I agree that Larry Scott disemboweled the Pac-12 Network. He did not understand that a conference network needs a sugar daddy like Fox or ESPN. But Georgy-Boy the Pac-12 Conference TV deal with the networks.

I agree that Larry Scott disemboweled the Pac-12 Network. He did not understand that a conference network needs a sugar daddy like Fox or ESPN. But Georgy-Boy the Pac-12 Conference TV deal with the networks.
Georgy-Boy was told by the PAC 12 Presidents to reject ESPN’s 30 million per team offer in 2022.

So Georgy Boy did what he was told to do. Reject the offer.

The PAC 12 presidents were just as culpable.

There are, of course, many reasons why the PAC 12 failed. There was institutional hubris, and poor leadership, and bad timing. But ESPN cut a deal with the BIG 12 that encouraged it to pick at the PAC 12 with a pro rata clause (adding an additional equal cut to any pirated power 5 school) and then shortly thereafter did not really negotiate with the PAC 12 (why should it when it could sit back and get PAC 12 schools at the Big 12 price). It was smart, sharp, business. But if you don't think the networks (ESPN in particular) hold huge sway over the conferences, and they have a hand in the development of the Power 2, you are wrong. You seem to want to say NBC and by extension Notre Dame are part of the same destructive cycle and operate the same way. No fan of NBC here but while NBC may be playing checkers, ESPN is playing Star Trek level chess, and it bears some direct responsibility for the condition of the ACC and the demise of the PAC 12.

The PAC tried to keep control of their product away from the big networks. The conference owned more than 50% of the PAC Network, something no other conference network did. That irritated ESPN/FOX who did not want that model to succeed. It didn't work because the PAC was not popular enough to get their network carried and broadcast.

Suffice to say, ESPN/FOX who took over college football were quite happy to break up the PAC and pay discount rates 10 of the 12 schools.
There are, of course, many reasons why the PAC 12 failed. There was institutional hubris, and poor leadership, and bad timing. But ESPN cut a deal with the BIG 12 that encouraged it to pick at the PAC 12 with a pro rata clause (adding an additional equal cut to any pirated power 5 school) and then shortly thereafter did not really negotiate with the PAC 12 (why should it when it could sit back and get PAC 12 schools at the Big 12 price). It was smart, sharp, business. But if you don't think the networks (ESPN in particular) hold huge sway over the conferences, and they have a hand in the development of the Power 2, you are wrong. You seem to want to say NBC and by extension Notre Dame are part of the same destructive cycle and operate the same way. No fan of NBC here but while NBC may be playing checkers, ESPN is playing Star Trek level chess, and it bears some direct responsibility for the condition of the ACC and the demise of the PAC 12.
Reread the thread. Government oversight is preferable to allowing two big media companies to run the sport. NBC is not one of the two companies that are a problem.

Reactions: melstew
Reread the thread. Government oversight is preferable to allowing two big media companies to run the sport. NBC is not one of the two companies that are a problem.
Your comment is nonsense. NBC is right in the thick of it with the other networks.

"The conference just went through its first football season of the new seven-year television deal with the conference football games divided between FOX, CBS, NBC, Big Ten Network, Fox Sports 1 and the Peacock streaming service."

Deion Saunders had some interesting viewpoints on the state of college football

Amongst other things, he said that when players are making more than the coaches it doesn’t bode well for the game.

very interesting interview

Complete first three weeks of Big Ten schedule on NBC and Peacock:
Week 1 – August 31:
Fresno State at Michigan (7:30p EST, Peacock)

Week 2 – September 7:
Rhode Island at Minnesota (Noon, Peacock)
Northern Illinois at Notre Dame (3:30p, NBC)
Colorado at Nebraska (7:30p, NBC)
Boise State at Oregon (10p, Peacock)

Week 3 – September 14:
Central Michigan at Illinois (Noon, Peacock)
Washington State at Washington at Lumen Field (3:30p, Peacock)
Indiana at UCLA (7:30p, NBC)

Deion Saunders had some interesting viewpoints on the state of college football

Amongst other things, he said that when players are making more than the coaches it doesn’t bode well for the game.

very interesting interview

Players making more than the coaches hasn't so far hurt the NFL too much.

Your comment is nonsense. NBC is right in the thick of it with the other networks.

"The conference just went through its first football season of the new seven-year television deal with the conference football games divided between FOX, CBS, NBC, Big Ten Network, Fox Sports 1 and the Peacock streaming service."

Try reading the posts. Or if you won't, name one conference destroyed by NBC.

Reactions: melstew
What does the NFL have to do with CFB?

It is football where the players make more money than the coaches. And Patirish thinks the players making more will kill college football. Even though we have seen that is not the case in the NFL.

Try reading the posts. Or if you won't, name one conference destroyed by NBC.
Quixote likes to fight with windmills. No matter what you say he imagines you saying "NBC does not cover college footfall" draws his sword and proves that the Rhode Island/Minnesota game is indeed on Peacock.

Quixote likes to fight with windmills. No matter what you say he imagines you saying "NBC does not cover college footfall" draws his sword and proves that the Rhode Island/Minnesota game is indeed on Peacock.
The person who intentionally distorted the conversation is you. If you scroll up and read the actual comment, I was clearly responding to "Government oversight is preferable to allowing two big media companies to run the sport. NBC is not one of the two companies that are a problem." But you childishly insist that I was replying to "NBC does not cover college footfall."

It is football where the players make more money than the coaches. And Patirish thinks the players making more will kill college football. Even though we have seen that is not the case in the NFL.
Gee, thanks.

The person who intentionally distorted the conversation is you. If you scroll up and read the actual comment, I was clearly responding to "Government oversight is preferable to allowing two big media companies to run the sport. NBC is not one of the two companies that are a problem." But you childishly insist that I was replying to "NBC does not cover college footfall."
Now that you have found the quote and have an estimate of NBC's place in the college football media landscape; are you going to offer a different answer?

Now that you have found the quote and have an estimate of NBC's place in the college football media landscape; are you going to offer a different answer?
I really don’t understand why you think that NBC isn’t culpable. NBC will be showing a good deal more Big Ten football than ND football this year. Their original plan was a “Big Ten on Saturday Night” broadcast similar their “NFL on Sunday Night”.

Beginning in 2024, Fox, CBS and NBC are splitting up Big Ten football in approximate equal thirds. It isn’t quite equal because Fox has first dibbs and a couple of extra picks but the big money that expanded the Big Ten and, in your opinion, imploded the Pac-12 comes pretty much equally from Fox, CBS and NBC.

I really don’t understand why you think that NBC isn’t culpable. NBC will be showing a good deal more Big Ten football than ND football this year. Their original plan was a “Big Ten on Saturday Night” broadcast similar their “NFL on Sunday Night”.

Beginning in 2024, Fox, CBS and NBC are splitting up Big Ten football in approximate equal thirds. It isn’t quite equal because Fox has first dibbs and a couple of extra picks but the big money that expanded the Big Ten and, in your opinion, imploded the Pac-12 comes pretty much equally from Fox, CBS and NBC.
You must hold Romania is culpable for World War 2

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT