ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame and a conference... what happens

if they joined a conference and lost that uniqueness what happens with the fans....

• They GAIN fans and following....

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • They LOSE fans and following.....

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Nothing changes whatsoever......

Votes: 21 58.3%

• Total voters
You never named another conference that was better than the SEC.

The reason? There isn’t one.

Or maybe you believe the ACC is stronger than the SEC.

If you’d like to argue that, go ahead.
Just look at the draft. This year, the SEC had 65 draft picks. The Big Ten was a strong 2nd with 48. The Pac-12 and Big 12 were tied for 3rd, with 25 each. ACC had 21.

And I'm certainly no SEC fan. But you have to admit, they have the most talent right now.

I should try what?
Writing 568 sentences like you about the nothingness of being?

Alabama is dominating. They're fortunate of a playoff at present as I stated.

That said if you think Alabama is the modern day ND...then it doesn't matter when you were born. You just have no idea what you speak of.

How many Bama games are nationally televised? While they get shown most of the SEC they still aren't on nationally every week.

Even with all their success they somehow still can't get that pinnacle of interest like ND...who BTW has every game nationally broadcast (unless doing a solid for a streaming service or the like.)
No matter who they play they are wanted on TV and most often at the perfect time slot.

So while you can spew ND isn't what it used to be on the field and that's correct....
They still set the bar on television interest.

Imagine that
Try FOLLOWING THE MONEY. Or NOT as you see fit. Far be it from me to tell ANYONE to try ANYTHING. But following the money will usually LEAD YOU TO THE OUTCOME IN QUESTION.

Switching horses . . .

. . . when I say that Alabama is the MODERN DAY ND, I mean that THEY ARE CURRENTLY WINNING AT A RATE COMPARABLE TO -- if not slightly better than -- both Rockne's and Leahy's best 10 year runs.

Since 2010, Alabama has a 90.8% winning percentage. ND's 75.8% is also quite good and several points above its all-time percentage, but that's still a BIG GAP. At the same time, Alabama has now SURPASSED ND in ALL-TIME WINNING PERCENTAGE as well.

Whatever INTANGIBLES you attach to ND football are entirely OKAY WITH ME as long as you don't expect me to SUBSCRIBE TO THEM. This for me is about football and nothing more.

The quasi-Arthurian flavor -- the ONCE AND FUTURE KING BELIEF SYSTEM -- that permeates much of ND's fanbase holds for me NO INTEREST. To me, what matters are the ON-FIELD METRICS AND RESULTS.

What does it matter if ND gets better ratings than Alabama if it can't beat it on the field?

The LATTER should be the ONLY GOAL because it's the ONLY METRIC that matters in any comparison between the two programs. TV viewership doesn't produce FIRST DOWNS, let alone "WINNING OVER ALL."

I never said such...did I?

I merely said the SEC dare not expose itself to adverse conditions.

Funny how that just goes without saying.

Again show me when play above the Mason Dixon line post Halloween.

If you've this gigantic love affair for the SEC then what are you doing on a lowly ND board. Hell we aren't even in a conference.

Here's a good place for you to start...

Just put in SEC in the search window and you should be right at home
Gigantic love affair? I have eyes. My eyes tell me Michael Jordan over LeBron.

Watching SEC Football, my eyes tell me that the conference has far more elite players than other conferences. And better overall teams.

This isn’t rocket science.

Try FOLLOWING THE MONEY. Or NOT as you see fit. Far be it from me to tell ANYONE to try ANYTHING. But following the money will usually LEAD YOU TO THE OUTCOME IN QUESTION.

Switching horses . . .

. . . when I say that Alabama is the MODERN DAY ND, I mean that THEY ARE CURRENTLY WINNING AT A RATE COMPARABLE TO -- if not slightly better than -- both Rockne's and Leahy's best 10 year runs.

Since 2010, Alabama has a 90.8% winning percentage. ND's 75.8% is also quite good and several points above its all-time percentage, but that's still a BIG GAP. At the same time, Alabama has now SURPASSED ND in ALL-TIME WINNING PERCENTAGE as well.

Whatever INTANGIBLES you attach to ND football are entirely OKAY WITH ME as long as you don't expect me to SUBSCRIBE TO THEM. This for me is about football and nothing more.

The quasi-Arthurian flavor -- the ONCE AND FUTURE KING BELIEF SYSTEM -- that permeates much of ND's fanbase holds for me NO INTEREST. To me, what matters are the ON-FIELD METRICS AND RESULTS.

What does it matter if ND gets better ratings than Alabama if it can't beat it on the field?

The LATTER should be the ONLY GOAL because it's the ONLY METRIC that matters in any comparison between the two programs. TV viewership doesn't produce FIRST DOWNS, let alone "WINNING OVER ALL."
Meanwhile. Nausea.

I never said such...did I?

I merely said the SEC dare not expose itself to adverse conditions.

Funny how that just goes without saying.

Again show me when play above the Mason Dixon line post Halloween.

If you've this gigantic love affair for the SEC then what are you doing on a lowly ND board. Hell we aren't even in a conference.

Here's a good place for you to start...

Just put in SEC in the search window and you should be right at home
Thank You. Fantastic post.

Gigantic love affair? I have eyes. My eyes tell me Michael Jordan over LeBron.

Watching SEC Football, my eyes tell me that the conference has far more elite players than other conferences. And better overall teams.

This isn’t rocket science.
Your eyes on the first part is sketchy

Again if you buy cable and are in the region/NJ.
NBC you can get free Big 10 network you can't.

So what’s the difference?????

In 2021, Notre Dame had at least two regular season games televised on cable or streaming only, not including your Bowl game that was also on cable only, so I guess I don’t see your point. If you didn’t have Peacock, the ACCN, or ESPN, you didn’t have Notre Dame for those three games.

Rest assured, just like Rutgers, you would still be Nationally televised every week. The only difference is that if you were a full member of the Big Ten, Rutgers wouldn’t be getting paid a LOT more for their television rights.

Reactions: 4-4-3
So what’s the difference?????

In 2021, Notre Dame had at least two regular season games televised on cable or streaming only, not including your Bowl game that was also on cable only, so I guess I don’t see your point. If you didn’t have Peacock, the ACCN, or ESPN, you didn’t have Notre Dame for those three games.

Rest assured, just like Rutgers, you would still be Nationally televised every week. The only difference is that if you were a full member of the Big Ten, Rutgers wouldn’t be getting paid a LOT more for their television rights.
The difference is the BTN is designed to squeeze extra dollars out of loyal fans at the expense of eyeballs from casual viewers. For all of its Peacockian machinations, NBC still broadcasts ND to the broader audience for free.

Reactions: NDinNJ
The difference is the BTN is designed to squeeze extra dollars out of loyal fans at the expense of eyeballs from casual viewers. For all of its Peacockian machinations, NBC still broadcasts ND to the broader audience for free.
I don't mean to be dismissive, but this is a very antiquated viewpoint. The truth of the matter is that more and more people get their television choices from cable and streaming services only. Many people, myself included, do not have access to NBC without cable or a streaming service. Not that I couldn't, but I am not going to waste my time getting an antenna and setting it up for the one or two events I would watch on terrestrial television. The Big Ten network allows me to watch Northwestern games in West Michigan, when I would never have had the opportunity in the not so distant past. Not only that, I can also see the other teams in the Big Ten that may be in contention for something bigger, or is going to play a team I care about.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
I don't mean to be dismissive, but this is a very antiquated viewpoint. The truth of the matter is that more and more people get their television choices from cable and streaming services only. Many people, myself included, do not have access to NBC without cable or a streaming service. Not that I couldn't, but I am not going to waste my time getting an antenna and setting it up for the one or two events I would watch on terrestrial television. The Big Ten network allows me to watch Northwestern games in West Michigan, when I would never have had the opportunity in the not so distant past. Not only that, I can also see the other teams in the Big Ten that may be in contention for something bigger, or is going to play a team I care about.
You must get tons of sleep watching the BTN!

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ
That doesn't refute anything I said.

So does FOX and ABC wrt the Big Ten. And for those that have streaming services only, which is increasing as we speak, it becomes more and more difficult to bring in a ND NBC broadcast unless you have access to an antenna on top of your roof or in your living room, or want to pay for a streaming service like Hulu.

In all honesty, many times, non over the air game is easer to watch if you’re stuck somewhere where you can’t pull in an over the air broadcast.

Just heard on the Dan Patrick show that NBC has been in talks with the BIG 10 and was supposed to have a decision by Memorial Day. Currently still in discussions and if NBC gets the BIG 10 contract, ND will be going into the BIG 10.

Just heard on the Dan Patrick show that NBC has been in talks with the BIG 10 and was supposed to have a decision by Memorial Day. Currently still in discussions and if NBC gets the BIG 10 contract, ND will be going into the BIG 10.
Like it or not, and I don't, it seems inevitable.

I recently listened to Brady Quinn say on Fox Radio that a decision regarding Notre Dame and the Big 10 will not be made for another two years.

Just when the current ND TV contract expires and is open to all bidders.

So does FOX and ABC wrt the Big Ten. And for those that have streaming services only, which is increasing as we speak, it becomes more and more difficult to bring in a ND NBC broadcast unless you have access to an antenna on top of your roof or in your living room, or want to pay for a streaming service like Hulu.

In all honesty, many times, non over the air game is easer to watch if you’re stuck somewhere where you can’t pull in an over the air broadcast.
Most people who are 'streaming only' have a way to get normal broadcast tv such as Sling. Even if it is delivered over the internet it is intended to be a mass distribution not a dollar squeeze like the BTN.
Defeatist puke.

Most people who are 'streaming only' have a way to get normal broadcast tv such as Sling. Even if it is delivered over the internet it is intended to be a mass distribution not a dollar squeeze like the BTN.
I am surprised Sling doesn't have BTN as part of their basic package. I know my FIL dropped his cable company years ago because it didn't have the BTN, and he went to Dish.

I will also say this for the BTN, you get way more basketball to watch than you would otherwise.

I recently listened to Brady Quinn say on Fox Radio that a decision regarding Notre Dame and the Big 10 will not be made for another two years.

That will never happen.

We might not get an answer for 8-10 months on if we go/don't go to the Big 10 but 2 years is just not going to happen.

Reactions: sjb75
There is something going on between the PAC 12 and Big 12 that may cause a course correction for everybody. Every day that the Big Ten does not announce its new media rights deal (originally thought to occur before Memorial Day), there is somebody "reporting" what that means. FOX and ESPN seem to be coordinating next steps...I wouldn't call it partnering....but something seems to be going on. The SEC was clearly blind sided by the move by USC and UCLA. And the Big 12 plan to force OU and Texas to stay in that conference until the bitter end seems to have hit a snag....because in order to have the 4 new members into the B12 by the 2023 season, they need them all to sign a GOR. And if it's a new GOR, that will free up Texas and OU to hop to the SEC for the 2023 season instead of 2025. Just another bump in the road. If the Big 12 and PAC 12 actually execute a merger plan, OU and Texas will leave as soon as possible to make way for that new gigantic conference.

What does that mean to ND? I will leave that up to you. However, the idea of a 12 team football playoff seems to have gone with the wind. The three mega conferences (if it comes to three) may each have a 4 team conference championship playoff with automatic bids to the playoffs to the winner. A 4 team conference playoff basically kills the proposed time frame for a 12 team playoff because it adds another weekend before New Years.

Who knows. Lots of moving parts.

Defeatist puke.

Ahhh, you DO know that Sling will cost you $50 dollars a month after the first month to get BOTH the ESPN and NBC package, right? The first month it will only cost you $25. Then the price goes up to $50 bucks a month.

If you want JUST the NBC package, it will still cost you $35 a month, but you don’t get the ESPN package. Hence, you’ll miss many of your away games.

You better hope you have an antenna if you want to watch live NBC sports for free in most cases. More and more people now days don’t.

Brady is partially right.

Notre Dame is NBC’s carrot wrt them getting a slice of the upcoming Big Ten broadcast rights. But I don’t think it will be a full two years before we get a decision.

Reactions: sjb75
There is something going on between the PAC 12 and Big 12 that may cause a course correction for everybody. Every day that the Big Ten does not announce its new media rights deal (originally thought to occur before Memorial Day), there is somebody "reporting" what that means. FOX and ESPN seem to be coordinating next steps...I wouldn't call it partnering....but something seems to be going on. The SEC was clearly blind sided by the move by USC and UCLA. And the Big 12 plan to force OU and Texas to stay in that conference until the bitter end seems to have hit a snag....because in order to have the 4 new members into the B12 by the 2023 season, they need them all to sign a GOR. And if it's a new GOR, that will free up Texas and OU to hop to the SEC for the 2023 season instead of 2025. Just another bump in the road. If the Big 12 and PAC 12 actually execute a merger plan, OU and Texas will leave as soon as possible to make way for that new gigantic conference.

What does that mean to ND? I will leave that up to you. However, the idea of a 12 team football playoff seems to have gone with the wind. The three mega conferences (if it comes to three) may each have a 4 team conference championship playoff with automatic bids to the playoffs to the winner. A 4 team conference playoff basically kills the proposed time frame for a 12 team playoff because it adds another weekend before New Years.

Who knows. Lots of moving parts.
“Who knows.”

Absolutely correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT