ADVERTISEMENT

Not the most talented MSU team coming

Zorich 88

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2006
I live about 5 miles from East Lansing. I have yet to meet one State fan that feels good about this game. Starting with the oline. MSU has a very average at best Oline. Ferman held its own against State. The biggest weapon MSU has on offense is Scott. A very good RB. O' Conner is nothing special. He misses a lot of passes. Smart qb just not that gifted. WR's are OK. On defense they have a first rounder in Malik McDowell. Every bit an animal on the dline. ND will have their hands full all night with him. Weak LB group. Best LB is a 6th year guy who will be playing in his first game this season (Ed Davis). Yes, we also have holes. That is especially true on defense. However, if you match position to position ND has a lot more talent. Especially where it really counts. ND online and QB are head and shoulders over what MSU has.
My family and I will be making the trip down. I expect DK to light up MSU. However, our young defense will also give up some plays. 34-20

The ND offense is good enough to beat anybody. The ND defense has to be good enough not to blow games for them.

yeah i'm not impressed with the mich st offense either as I watched them play badly live on tv against a very bad furman team from the fcs. the Spartans will have a hard time putting up points against any good or decent defense this year that isn't an fcs defense

I disagree. MSU has better talent than when I can remember. I don't know much about their O line or QB but they also have Madre London, an awesome D line and very good defensive backs. I believe they also have a few 4 star receivers. They have won a lot of big games over the years. This game could easily go down to the wire. I would disregard the Furman game. They also had a week to prepare and our secondary without Watkins and Crawford can get burned by anyone.

Weak LBers? No. Riley Bullough is very good and our other starter was out vs Furman. And we get Davis back this week. LBers are very good.

Weak points are opposite DE of Cooper, second CB, and offensive tackles. Talent is good at WR. O'Connor is an efficient QB but has average physical tools.

The linebackers are good. Bullough will play in the NFL and Dowell is a very talented younger player with huge upside. The weaknesses are having an average offensive line and on the defensive side we aren't strong at one of the DE spots and one CB

I live about 5 miles from East Lansing. I have yet to meet one State fan that feels good about this game. Starting with the oline. MSU has a very average at best Oline. Ferman held its own against State. The biggest weapon MSU has on offense is Scott. A very good RB. O' Conner is nothing special. He misses a lot of passes. Smart qb just not that gifted. WR's are OK. On defense they have a first rounder in Malik McDowell. Every bit an animal on the dline. ND will have their hands full all night with him. Weak LB group. Best LB is a 6th year guy who will be playing in his first game this season (Ed Davis). Yes, we also have holes. That is especially true on defense. However, if you match position to position ND has a lot more talent. Especially where it really counts. ND online and QB are head and shoulders over what MSU has.
My family and I will be making the trip down. I expect DK to light up MSU. However, our young defense will also give up some plays. 34-20

IMHO Their HC is their biggest weapon

Reactions: perseverare
Matchup on McDowell will be IMO critical----he's a handful.

Sparty has a good secondary-------let's see if our guys can get open.

It may be one of those games where you throw first to open the run .

Matchup on McDowell will be IMO critical----he's a handful.

Sparty has a good secondary-------let's see if our guys can get open.

It may be one of those games where you throw first to open the run .

aha! then we know the ND game plan! run to set up the pass!

It's ND v Michigan St....all the stats, betting lines, injuries, depth charts go out the window. It's gonna be dog fight from beginning to end. Probably a high scoring dog fight.

It's actually MSU vs. Notre Dame, at Notre Dame, Indiana.

The point is those trying to make a lot of money and who set odds for a living see ND as a seven point victor.

The linebackers are good. Bullough will play in the NFL and Dowell is a very talented younger player with huge upside. The weaknesses are having an average offensive line and on the defensive side we aren't strong at one of the DE spots and one CB

Bullough is not athletic. He will not play in the nfl. Maybe on a practice squad at best. I said you got your 28 year old LB approved to play. That old guy is good not great. No where near a Greg Jones or even Lawrence Thomas. The ND online will man handle the State dline.

How many Bulloughs have played football at MSU? 24? 25?

Bullough is not athletic. He will not play in the nfl. Maybe on a practice squad at best. I said you got your 28 year old LB approved to play. That old guy is good not great. No where near a Greg Jones or even Lawrence Thomas. The ND online will man handle the State dline.

Riley Bullough is actually pretty athletic can run sideline to sideline. Not sure what you are talking about.

Davis won't play much. And after we kicked off our team our starting DT and DE our DL sucks. If your OL is anything it should have its way with everyone except McDowell.

Hope the ND coaches and players have the same impression as most of the fans in this thread. By the way, Lawrence Thomas wasn't a linebacker.

why did the Spartan coaching staff kick off your starting DT and DE SpartanJD. maybe I read or heard about it at one time and just don't remember

why did the Spartan coaching staff kick off your starting DT and DE SpartanJD. maybe I read or heard about it at one time and just don't remember

Craig Evans and Montez Sweat. Evans turned into a beast last year. Him and McDowell would have been immovable. Sweat a very athletic DE who was slated to start. Both had issues before, I think they liked pot too much.

Now our other DE spot opposite Cooper is a disaster and we haven't found a guy yet at the other DT spot. We took two grad transfers this year on the DL...all you need to know about that. I think you'll have running lanes most of the night.

How about Austin Robertson? I thought he was highly rated and ND wanted him.

It's actually MSU vs. Notre Dame, at Notre Dame, Indiana.

The point is those trying to make a lot of money and who set odds for a living see ND as a seven point victor.

Just to be clear, its not Vegas that creates the odds, its the betting public that generates the odds and the general public is about 50-50 picking Notre Dame over MSU by 7. Vegas just manages the odds so that they make their coin. The way I see it, just a lot of Irish fans that have great incomes! LOL! Good Luck! It will be epic!

sparty's

let me ask you guys
do you think it is harder for your OC and staff to deal with the complexities of the ND Defense, that is to identify formations and tendencies given the the ND defensive players are usually lined up incorrectly and are usually out of position and misreading their assignments?
offensive game planning must be impossible.
advantage ND?:D

Last edited:
Reactions: VTND
Sparty has had two weeks to prepare and a good coach. They'll be well prepared and ready to play rough. We'll be prepared and ready to play. It will be good to watch.

How about Austin Robertson? I thought he was highly rated and ND wanted him.

He was very highly rated. Just a true frosh. Him and Josh King were both stud DE recruits but both are true frosh. Maybe we will see one of them play Saturday.

Just to be clear, its not Vegas that creates the odds, its the betting public that generates the odds and the general public is about 50-50 picking Notre Dame over MSU by 7. Vegas just manages the odds so that they make their coin. The way I see it, just a lot of Irish fans that have great incomes! LOL! Good Luck! It will be epic!

Vegas actually sets the initial line and then adjusts it based on how the betters are betting to cover their ass. It generally doesn't fluctuate that much from the original line. A few points one way or the other.

Hope the ND coaches and players have the same impression as most of the fans in this thread. By the way, Lawrence Thomas wasn't a linebacker.
Yes he was a LB when he arrived at State. He put weight on after his freshman year and was moved to DL.

Vegas actually sets the initial line and then adjusts it based on how the betters are betting to cover their ass. It generally doesn't fluctuate that much from the original line. A few points one way or the other.
I have a question. I really don't know how this all works. But if you bet on team a on Monday at -7 and the line moves to say -6 on Friday, are you locked in at -7? Hope that makes sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT