ADVERTISEMENT

No butterflys, reminiscent of 1989.

Too funny...was just about to start the same thread but i go way back to 69...no excitement whatsoever...had to be talked into flying the flag

Reactions: Bodizephax
I don't feel any excitement and have no butterflys and game time is coming up. The last time I had that feeling was before the Virginia opener in 1988.

I believe you had another handle then...

BN-JX461_buffal_G_20150819081920.jpg

I keep on telling myself that this is no big deal. Que sera sera. But, I'm nervous as hell and I don't know why.

Bod, Sluggo, CGVR,

I've been feeling that way for a number of years now !
I was even seriously considering if I should come back on the message board ?
I reflected as to why most of us, SubAlums,dating back to the late 1930's became ND fans in the first Place.It was because we were poor Catholic kids, who identified with the
Lady On The Dome, and the fact that ND represented her ?
Over the years, I felt and still feel that ND is becoming
More and more secular.
In short, as ND drifts away from the faith, ND loses its
Very heart, and ND becomes just another University with a football team.
I don't want to start a debate here on this, perhaps at another time in the off season , so I will not engage in debate !
However, old habits die slowly, so here I am still
Rooting for ND, but no longer with the fire and intensity of old !

Bod, Sluggo, CGVR,

I reflected as to why most of us, SubAlums,dating back to the late 1930's became ND fans in the first Place.It was because we were poor Catholic kids, who identified with the
More and more secular.
I don't want to start a debate here on this, perhaps at another time in the off season , so I will not engage in debate !
We have definitely homogenized our "brand"...
I hate the word brand as it relates to ND. I never considered ND to be a brand. Now it appears we are hellbent in defining ourselves as such... We are no longer above the fray and have mainstreamed ourselves. The morons at the top have tried to milk every nickel out of football at the expense of our "mystique".... Jumbotron....fake grass....ozzy...a mega structure that is a straight knock off of Doak/others..... jenkins is a secularist lightweight and jenky as a fellow is a cowardly blowhard.... jenkins claim of crossroads being some kind of "daring to dream big" would be nailed by du lac as plagiarism..... There is zero originality to the project...

Reactions: HuddleBurger
Bod, Sluggo, CGVR,

More and more secular.

If you think ND is becoming more secular, you should experience Santa Clara univ in California, "Holy macarel"

If you think ND is becoming more secular, you should experience Santa Clara univ in California, "Holy macarel"
I live in Santa Clara and couldn't agree more. What I loved most about my trip to Notre Dame in 2008 was that it was obvious that they did not apologize for being a Catholic University. It seems that many Catholic high schools and universities do not put faith first.

Damn Bodi...well I'm excited and I have the usual first game jittery nerves. It's not like we're returning 20 starters and know what to expect. Tons of question marks, and of course, most of us assume the best at this point. I love the pre game excitement and build up to the game, and yesterday's upsets only add to this. Texas has been pointing to this game for a year, and they will be pumped on the field and in the stands. What's not to be excited about?

Damn Bodi...well I'm excited and I have the usual first game jittery nerves. It's not like we're returning 20 starters and know what to expect. Tons of question marks, and of course, most of us assume the best at this point. I love the pre game excitement and build up to the game, and yesterday's upsets only add to this. Texas has been pointing to this game for a year, and they will be pumped on the field and in the stands. What's not to be excited about?

It should hit me at game time when I see the Gold helmets running on to the field.

I live in Santa Clara and couldn't agree more. What I loved most about my trip to Notre Dame in 2008 was that it was obvious that they did not apologize for being a Catholic University. It seems that many Catholic high schools and universities do not put faith first.
I think a huge part of this trend is the declining number of priests and Brothers, etc... Our son went to a Christian Brother's High School and they had about fifteen Brothers who lived on campus and formed the heart and soul of the school. Faith was integrated with secular subjects in really productive and thought provoking ways. Today this high school has ONE Brother teaching full time, two who come twice a month, and the Brother's residence is now part of Admin as no Brother lives on campus. Not saying lay teachers are incapable of integrating religion and making it an integral part of the school and education experience, but I tend to think the fewer priests and brothers and nuns, the less faith is part of the soul of the school. Of course, I'm 66 and entering that time in life where we start harping on the good old days!

Let's face it. Most ND fans expect to win tonight. If we do, the Michigan State night game will be bigger than the Olympics.

I think a huge part of this trend is the declining number of priests and Brothers, etc... Our son went to a Christian Brother's High School and they had about fifteen Brothers who lived on campus and formed the heart and soul of the school. Faith was integrated with secular subjects in really productive and thought provoking ways. Today this high school has ONE Brother teaching full time, two who come twice a month, and the Brother's residence is now part of Admin as no Brother lives on campus. Not saying lay teachers are incapable of integrating religion and making it an integral part of the school and education experience, but I tend to think the fewer priests and brothers and nuns, the less faith is part of the soul of the school. Of course, I'm 66 and entering that time in life where we start harping on the good old days!

TELX,
I think you nailed it. The whole problem is the decline of Christianity World Wide. My wife and I were in Germany a few months go. We visited an Abbey that housed Catholic Brothers for Hundred of years. Today there are zero Brothers housed there.
When I studied and worked in Europe in 1961 to 1963,
Each Small town had its own church. In Germany, the churches
Were filled every Sunday. 1. Mass, 2. A couple of drinks at the local Bars " Frushopin " , 3 Sunday dinner, 4 No one left the table until my Father in law said the Grace after Meals.
Today, the churches are empty, the young may get baptized or even receive Communion, but it no longer plays a major role in their lives.
Priest are few and getting smaller.

TELX,
I think you nailed it. The whole problem is the decline of Christianity World Wide. My wife and I were in Germany a few months go. We visited an Abbey that housed Catholic Brothers for Hundred of years. Today there are zero Brothers housed there.
When I studied and worked in Europe in 1961 to 1963,
Each Small town had its own church. In Germany, the churches
Were filled every Sunday. 1. Mass, 2. A couple of drinks at the local Bars " Frushopin " , 3 Sunday dinner, 4 No one left the table until my Father in law said the Grace after Meals.
Today, the churches are empty, the young may get baptized or even receive Communion, but it no longer plays a major role in their lives.
Priest are few and getting smaller.
My Church is full and we have 6 Masses every weekend! I'm 73 years old and I feel more Catholic than ever!
And I'm quite excited about the opener at hand and the the Irish football season.
I will pray for you!

My Church is full and we have 6 Masses every weekend! I'm 73 years old and I feel more Catholic than ever!
And I'm quite excited about the opener at hand and the the Irish football season.
I will pray for you!

Thanks PJ,
I certainly need and appreciate all prayers. I will also pray for you as well. Glad that your church has great attendance.
Mine also has good attendance, but 1. I am talking world wide,
Not locally, and 2. It seems that the majority in attendance at my church are Mostly older folks.
In any case, so far the opening game is interesting !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT