ADVERTISEMENT

No. 2 Notre Dame vs. No. 16 Duke: ESPNU, Saturday at noon

Lou Somogyi

Senior Editor
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2004
The semifinals of the women's ACC Tournament in Greensboro, N.C. will be this afternoon, with the winners meeting on Sunday afternoon.

At noon on ESPNU, the top-seeded Irish (29-2) take on 4-seed Duke (21-9), while the second game features two top-10 regulars from this season in Florida State and Louisville. Last year ND defeated Duke 69-53 in the championship game.

On Feb. 16 at home, Notre Dame defeated Duke 63-50 after a slow start in which the Blue Devils built a 14-5 lead with their tall and quite athletic lineup led by Elizabeth Williams (18 points). The difference in the game was ND converted nine threes while Duke was 0-for-12 beyond the arc, the first time this season it didn't score at least one trey. Sparking the Irish off the bench after the slow start were Madison Cable and Kathryn Westbeld. Jewell Loyd sank four three-pointers and finished with 21 points, six rebounds and five assists - plus a superb defensive effort on Duke leading scorer Rebecca Greenwell, who was limited to five shots in 33 minutes and finished with four points.

Muffet McGraw has had Duke's number as the Irish have won eight in a row in this series and hold a 10-1 overall edge.

This is what I consider a law of averages game. When I watched Duke here on Feb. 16, especially the opening minutes, I was shocked it had lost so often because the talent, especially up front, I felt could match up with most anyone. I'm not sure about the coaching there, but something is missing because that team seems too good to have nine losses. Its recruiting generally has been top 5.

This is a game to be very wary of and an upset wouldn't be a surprise. Right now it's hard to pick against an ND team that has won 15 straight.

Notre Dame 68, Duke 63

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News