ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Recruits

If read Tom Lemming, Lou S, or the rest of the Baghdad Bobs on the premium board. The Irish have a tremendous haul. To the recruit guys, what’s a fair non homer assessment of the next haul?
Dont the Irish need to figure out the best way to get DOWN to 85?
Will that not effect recruiting, or the recruits choice?

Well the only way to fix that problem is changing admissions policy, not require the players to go to class, give meaningless degrees, and let all the troublemakers stay on the team like they do at all the other schools that do win the national championships. Problem is is not going to happen, so the fact that Notre Dame went undefeated during the regular season is a testament to the school, players and coaching staff. Yeah, we'd all like to win a National Championship, but given the choice, I'll hire a Notre Dame graduate before I'll hire a graduate from Alabama or Clemson with all things being equal.

5 stars don't care if you'd hire them, or not, because the organization they are worried about being hired by writes multi million dollar signing bonuses and enormous entry level contracts.. The companies, corporations and organizations that are the primary interest of the kids you are talking about, are better suited for Notre Dame. The kids who have one professional goal in life and who are willing to do ANYTHING to reach it will keep winning National titles.

5 stars don't care if you'd hire them, or not, because the organization they are worried about being hired by writes multi million dollar signing bonuses and enormous entry level contracts.. The companies, corporations and organizations that are the primary interest of the kids you are talking about, are better suited for Notre Dame. The kids who have one professional goal in life and who are willing to do ANYTHING to reach it will keep winning National titles.
And look what happened to the "U"

And look what happened to the "U"

Not all 5 star kids are drama and they're not all criminals...

None of those Clemson kids that punked Notre Dame have been trouble for Dabo or the school during their time at Clemson.

Trevor Lawrence had an ND offer and could have went to school anywhere. From every indication he's a great kid on and off the field.

Mitch Hyatt had an ND offer. He's never once been in criminal or academic trouble in his 4 years at Clemson. He's started since say one and kept his nose clean.

Christian Wilkins is an Academic All American and attended a prestigious Prep School in high school. He could be academically successful at any football school in the country and he's a top 15 NFL draft pick.

I could keep going down the list and I could do the same at Alabama...

It's a myth that there isn't a significant number of highly ranked kids that could survive at, fit into, and even thrive at Notre Dame. Kids just want to win and have the best opportunity to pursue their dream. Just because they choose a lesser school than Notre Dame, it doesn't mean they fit into the "thug u" stereotype... Some do. Most are just normal kids looking for the best opportunity.

None of those Clemson kids that punked Notre Dame have been trouble for Dabo or the school during their time at Clemson.

Trevor Lawrence had an ND offer and could have went to school anywhere. From every indication he's a great kid on and off the field.

Mitch Hyatt had an ND offer. He's never once been in criminal or academic trouble in his 4 years at Clemson. He's started since say one and kept his nose clean.

Christian Wilkins is an Academic All American and attended a prestigious Prep School in high school. He could be academically successful at any football school in the country and he's a top 15 NFL draft pick.

It's a myth that there isn't a significant number of highly ranked kids that could survive at, fit into, and even thrive at Notre Dame. Kids just want to win and have the best opportunity to pursue their dream. Just because they choose a lesser school than Notre Dame, it doesn't mean they fit into the "thug u" stereotype... Some do. Most are just normal kids looking for the best opportunity.
My repose was to this part of your previous text...." The kids who have one professional goal in life and who are willing to do ANYTHING to reach it will keep winning National titles.".....maybe I should of been more clear

I know it's a myth you are expressing but the young man before as today will want to play for a NC winner

Thus is ND obstacle not recruiting in general . BK is trying to find the youngmen to rebuild that foundation

“repose”

holy crap! on a football message board!

:eek:

You're right. I think a bigger obstacle to ND is being a northern team. There's a reason only 1 northern team has any recent sustained success. Getting warm weather people to move north is REALLY hard. I've lived in Texas my entire life and there's no way I'm moving to Indiana/Michigan/Minnesota as long as I have any choice.

I think a better comp for us recruiting wise is OSU. They're the only northern school who regularly gets top shelf talent. How many of their 5 stars could we have taken? That will give you a better idea of how much of an obstacle grades are and how much is us needing to be an elite school in order to get elite talent.

On a side note, I'd be interested to see how many warm weather 5 stars have gone north for college.

You're right. I think a bigger obstacle to ND is being a northern team. There's a reason only 1 northern team has any recent sustained success. Getting warm weather people to move north is REALLY hard. I've lived in Texas my entire life and there's no way I'm moving to Indiana/Michigan/Minnesota as long as I have any choice.

I think a better comp for us recruiting wise is OSU. They're the only northern school who regularly gets top shelf talent. How many of their 5 stars could we have taken? That will give you a better idea of how much of an obstacle grades are and how much is us needing to be an elite school in order to get elite talent.

On a side note, I'd be interested to see how many warm weather 5 stars have gone north for college.

It's not just the 5 stars, it's those top 75-100, high end 4 stars that narrowly miss 5 star status as well.

I can tell you this though regarding the last 3 years and top 100 guys that left the Southeast and Southwest...

Notre Dame
top 100 S, Kyle Hamilton (Georgia)
top 100 TE, Brock Wright (Texas)
top 100 OL, Robert Hainsey (Florida)- Originally from PA.
top 100 DB, Houston Griffith (Florida)- Originally from Illinois.
top 100 WR, Kevin Austin (Florida)
top 100 DB, Derrik Allen (Georgia)

Ohio State
5 star OL, Nick Petit-Frere (Florida)
5 star DT, Taron Vincent (Florida)
5 star DB, Tyreke Jonson (Florida)
5 star OL, Harry Miller (Georgia)
5 star DB, Jeffrey Okudah (Texas)
5 star CB, Baron Browning (Texas)
5 star CB, Shaun Wade (Florida)
top 100 WR, Trevon Grimes (Florida)
top 100 RB, J.K. Dobbins (Texas)
top 100 S, Isaiah Pryor (Florida)
top 100 LB, Teradja Mitchell (Virginia)
top 100 S, Josh Proctor (Oklahoma)
top 100 RB, Brian Snead (Florida)

Michigan
5 star S, Daxton Hill (Oklahoma)
5 star DT, Aubrey Solomon (Georgia)
top 100 DT, Chris Hinton (Georgia)
top 100 OL, Cesar Ruiz (Florida)
top 100 DE, Luiji Villain (Virginia)

Penn State
5 star LB, Brandon Smith (Virginia)
5 star RB, Ricky Slade (Virginia)
top 100 RB, Devyn Ford (Virginia)
top 100 RB, Noah Cain (Florida)

If you win and you have a staff of elite recruiters that really grind and build great relationships, you can get them to come. This is why I'd like to see ND upgrade its recruiting staff of assistants coming off 22-4 record in the last 2 years. There is absolutely no reason ND shouldn't be near the top of the lists of more kids than they are. Not every kid. That's never going to happen... But ND landed ONE top 100 recruit this year. That has to be addressed if ND is going to continue bridging the gap now that they've figured out how to recruit consistent, balanced, classes (something they struggled with a during the first half of Kelly's tenure).

The football players admitted today are way below the average student academically than they were under Lou.
Go root for Ole Miss.
Standards are good. Notre Dame does it right!
That may be true but the problem is that in the early 90s ND decided to become an elite academic institution and dramatically raised the entrance requirements and the workload for all students, football players included.

They foolishly thought (and still think) you can have an Ivy League workload and be an elite football school. The two are mutually exclusive. Not only does ND have a much smaller pool to recruit from but once on campus ND players significantly more time and energy on academics (thus less time on football related activities) than their counterparts at Bama, Clemson, OSU.

So while the gap between the ND student and football player may be greater than under Lou the academic gap between an ND player and a Clemson player is ever greater.

Reactions: HuddleBurger
It's not just the 5 stars, it's those top 75-100, high end 4 stars that narrowly miss 5 star status as well.

I can tell you this though regarding the last 3 years and top 100 guys that left the Southeast and Southwest...

Notre Dame
top 100 S, Kyle Hamilton (Georgia)
top 100 TE, Brock Wright (Texas)
top 100 OL, Robert Hainsey (Florida)- Originally from PA.
top 100 DB, Houston Griffith (Florida)- Originally from Illinois.
top 100 WR, Kevin Austin (Florida)
top 100 DB, Derrik Allen (Georgia)

Ohio State
5 star OL, Nick Petit-Frere (Florida)
5 star DT, Taron Vincent (Florida)
5 star DB, Tyreke Jonson (Florida)
5 star OL, Harry Miller (Georgia)
5 star DB, Jeffrey Okudah (Texas)
5 star CB, Baron Browning (Texas)
5 star CB, Shaun Wade (Florida)
top 100 WR, Trevon Grimes (Florida)
top 100 RB, J.K. Dobbins (Texas)
top 100 S, Isaiah Pryor (Florida)
top 100 LB, Teradja Mitchell (Virginia)
top 100 S, Josh Proctor (Oklahoma)
top 100 RB, Brian Snead (Florida)

Michigan
5 star S, Daxton Hill (Oklahoma)
5 star DT, Aubrey Solomon (Georgia)
top 100 DT, Chris Hinton (Georgia)
top 100 OL, Cesar Ruiz (Florida)
top 100 DE, Luiji Villain (Virginia)

Penn State
5 star LB, Brandon Smith (Virginia)
5 star RB, Ricky Slade (Virginia)
top 100 RB, Devyn Ford (Virginia)
top 100 RB, Noah Cain (Florida)

If you win and you have a staff of elite recruiters that really grind and build great relationships, you can get them to come. This is why I'd like to see ND upgrade its recruiting staff of assistants coming off 22-4 record in the last 2 years. There is absolutely no reason ND shouldn't be near the top of the lists of more kids than they are. Not every kid. That's never going to happen... But ND landed ONE top 100 recruit this year. That has to be addressed if ND is going to continue bridging the gap now that they've figured out how to recruit consistent, balanced, classes (something they struggled with a during the first half of Kelly's tenure).

This is interesting. Ohio State is clearly the best at pulling southern talent north. I wonder how many of their kids ND couldn't take. I think that would be a good barometer for how much our academic standards actually affect recruiting.

That may be true but the problem is that in the early 90s ND decided to become an elite academic institution and dramatically raised the entrance requirements and the workload for all students, football players included.

They foolishly thought (and still think) you can have an Ivy League workload and be an elite football school. The two are mutually exclusive. Not only does ND have a much smaller pool to recruit from but once on campus ND players significantly more time and energy on academics (thus less time on football related activities) than their counterparts at Bama, Clemson, OSU.

So while the gap between the ND student and football player may be greater than under Lou the academic gap between an ND player and a Clemson player is ever greater.
I don't believe the gap is very big. Nothing wrong with challenging a kid academically and athletically.
Christian Wilkins is getting a degree in athletic leadership. Nothing wrong with having high standards.

This is interesting. Ohio State is clearly the best at pulling southern talent north. I wonder how many of their kids ND couldn't take. I think that would be a good barometer for how much our academic standards actually affect recruiting.

Ohio State guys that had ND offers and were heavily pursued...

Petit-Frere
Johnson
Miller
Okudah
Browning
Wade
Mitchell
Dobbs
Snead

Don't know about the academics with the others.

Ohio State guys that had ND offers and were heavily pursued...

Petit-Frere
Johnson
Miller
Okudah
Browning
Wade
Mitchell
Dobbs
Snead

Don't know about the academics with the others.

Do you know if there was any legitimate chance we landed any of these kids. I remember Petit-Frere was close and down to the wire. If there was actual interest there, seems like we need to find an assistant who can start winning the head to head battles with Ohio St.

Do you know if there was any legitimate chance we landed any of these kids. I remember Petit-Frere was close and down to the wire. If there was actual interest there, seems like we need to find an assistant who can start winning the head to head battles with Ohio St.

The combination of Urban's success and the relationships he built when he was down in Florida, combined with Tony Alford's relentlessness as a recruiter, made Ohio State a big time player down there. We'll see if it keeps up the same way now that Urban has retired. A lot depends on how Ryan Day does as the HC. Hiring Mike Yurcich is about as good of start as you can get.

The football players admitted today are way below the average student academically than they were under Lou.
Go root for Ole Miss.
Standards are good. Notre Dame does it right!
Are you high? Randy moss! Hahaha

The combination of Urban's success and the relationships he built when he was down in Florida, combined with Tony Alford's relentlessness as a recruiter, made Ohio State a big time player down there. We'll see if it keeps up the same way now that Urban has retired. A lot depends on how Ryan Day does as the HC. Hiring Mike Yurcich is about as good of start as you can get.
I was told Autry is a better recruiter than tony Alford....

If Kelly wereto bolt for the NFL what recruits would be in jeopardy?

Yet there are significant academic differences once they get to ND and, while I'm not saying the kids you mention couldn't handle it, many don't want the distraction and extra work. (Not Wilkins who is remarkable.) many of the kids you mention are all class kids and I admire the program Saban runs -- his kids are very rarely in the news -- but staying out of trouble is different that having to compete with one of the most competitive student bodies in the country. Yes, ND athletes take classes with ND students which ranks #10 in average in-coming GPA (right behind Stanford, and Virginia and Duke.) A lot of kids 5* kids (not all) banking on going to the NFL don't want to bother with that. That will never change at ND and so we need to find 5* players that want to be on the supreme court or have a job on wall street when his football years are over. (Oh wait -- we've done that.) I've always been proud that our kids take their schoolwork so seriously. And that is going to make our Natty that much more satisfying.

It is all about the head coach. Clem was average until Dabo. Bama slumped until they got Saban. Oh St replaced a winner with a winner(Meyer). LSU and UOJ still havent been able to replace winners. There should be no reason why Kelly cant get ND back to the playoff in 2019 except lack of elite coaching talent on his part and his chosen assistants. If Kelly can get ND to two straight CFP's the recruits will come.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Kyle Hamilton from Marist in Atlanta is the real deal. Had offers from all the big boys in the South . Marist is a top school athletically and academically. He needs a college weight room but I think will be a player that will help the Irish from day 1

He could be really good. He’s got elite size for his position.

But Kyle is “an ND type of kid.” When watching his interviews, it’s clear that he is. He’s not the type of player people here talk about when they say ND can’t get the athletes from the South that go to Georgia, Alabama, etc.

ND doesnt need a bunch of illiterate dudes, they need some mean spirited dudes. 22 Quentin Nelsons, is that possible :). A couple junk yard dogs who would rip their own arm off if it meant winning a game. A 6'2'' WR who can run like the wind and catch the ball. A LB who scares teams into not running the ball near him. A safety with range and hits like a hammer.

First of all, Nelson has the attitude, but he also has the talent.

Secondly, yeah, we can get offensive lineman, TEs...at those positions, there are plenty of “ND type of kids.”

Do you understsnd what I’m saying?

Last edited:
That decision was made by Father Hesburgh in the 1950s.
Negative. I've dug up the stats and if you look at the average SAT/ACT score of an ND student in 1985 it's much lower than the average SAT/ACT score of a student in 1995. There is also plenty of data showing the average household income of the average student was dramatically higher.

Father Hesburgh certainly raised the academics of ND but in the late 80s - 90s it went beyond that to try and match Ivy League schools

This isn't new, it's not earth shattering and its not a secret. It's one of the reasons Lou was shown the door.

I don't believe the gap is very big. Nothing wrong with challenging a kid academically and athletically.
Christian Wilkins is getting a degree in athletic leadership. Nothing wrong with having high standards.
nothing wrong with lightening the load either.

Negative. I've dug up the stats and if you look at the average SAT/ACT score of an ND student in 1985 it's much lower than the average SAT/ACT score of a student in 1995. There is also plenty of data showing the average household income of the average student was dramatically higher.

Father Hesburgh certainly raised the academics of ND but in the late 80s - 90s it went beyond that to try and match Ivy League schools

This isn't new, it's not earth shattering and its not a secret. It's one of the reasons Lou was shown the door.
I think you are confusing the decision to push ND to be an elite academic institution with athletics. Hesburgh's decision to push ND to that status when he came in the 1950s had nothing to do with sports.

Reactions: notredamerises23

The bigger problem is South Bend isn't attractive from an atmosphere standpoint. The campus is beautiful but drive around off campus and you'll see
It is all about the head coach. Clem was average until Dabo. Bama slumped until they got Saban. Oh St replaced a winner with a winner(Meyer). LSU and UOJ still havent been able to replace winners. There should be no reason why Kelly cant get ND back to the playoff in 2019 except lack of elite coaching talent on his part and his chosen assistants. If Kelly can get ND to two straight CFP's the recruits will come.

The only thing I'll agree with is if we get back into the playoffs recruits will come. I'm tired of our fans trying to compare ND to other top recruiting schools. Guys South Bend isn't attractive it's a dump, no disrespect to anyone who's from there. When you're competing with campus lifestyles it's not even close but I'll agree that winning may help us get some more top 100 players. Enough with the coaches, you can only sell it so much. That is why Coach Kelly coined the term RKG. Take your fandom away you're a top recruit, 18 years old, you can go anywhere in the country do you wanna spend your next 4 years in South Bend. It's a tough sell no matter how you cut it.

He could be really good. He’s got elite size for his position.

But Kyle is “an ND type of kid.” When watching his interviews, it’s clear that he is. He’s not the type of player people here talk about when they say ND can’t get the athletes from the South that go to Georgia, Alabama, etc.

and in 10 years, maybe, another 1 will come along.

Havent been to South Central LA where UOJ is located? South Bend cant be much worse. It is all about coaching. Players will go where they find coaches that can win championships.

Havent been to South Central LA where UOJ is located? South Bend cant be much worse. It is all about coaching. Players will go where they find coaches that can win championships.

Never been on campus or to a game? Big surprise there.

As for the last line, location, campus environment, weather all play a role on where players go.

The bigger problem is South Bend isn't attractive from an atmosphere standpoint. The campus is beautiful but drive around off campus and you'll see

The only thing I'll agree with is if we get back into the playoffs recruits will come. I'm tired of our fans trying to compare ND to other top recruiting schools. Guys South Bend isn't attractive it's a dump, no disrespect to anyone who's from there. When you're competing with campus lifestyles it's not even close but I'll agree that winning may help us get some more top 100 players. Enough with the coaches, you can only sell it so much. That is why Coach Kelly coined the term RKG. Take your fandom away you're a top recruit, 18 years old, you can go anywhere in the country do you wanna spend your next 4 years in South Bend. It's a tough sell no matter how you cut it.
When was the last time you were in campus. Have you ever been to the grape road area or downtown SB in the spring summer or fall. Plenty to do here. Gret place to raise a family just not the west side. But, all cities have their rough areas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT