ADVERTISEMENT

New commitment

echo my man, this victory march I dedicate too you. Keep up the strong fight my friend.

Reactions: echowaker
Not judging this player, but if ND want's to get in the top 5 recruiting like Kelly says he want's it probably won't happen offering three star recruits. We'll see how he develops thought. But funny that no one is allowed to question or have an opinion. I've been adherent Kelly supporter but I've had some serious issues about coaching/player decisions over the last year and a half. I hope I'm wrong on all of them. But pinning your legacy to a 27 year old with zero OC experience seems to be quite the gamble?

"But pinning your legacy to a 27 year old with zero OC experience seems to be quite the gamble"

Well, could be, but, are you in the meeting rooms with the coaches? Have you heard him in the game planning sessions? In a lot of cases, gone are the days of OC's (or DC's, HC's ...) "needing" experience. . Granted, it helps, but, as in everything in life, you have to have a 1st somewhere... plus, Res has a good mentor in Kelly to fall back on ... will there be hiccups along the way? Absolutely, part of the growth process. But, Rees has been around the game his whole life and even when he was the QB -- you could see him adjusting plays and players like a chess board.

You guys are warriors man. You keep explaining to those fans but they're having trouble getting pass a 23-8 starting quarterback; who happen to beat out a five star fragile quarterback who went 5-6 as the starter. It's there problem Kelso but I admire your and echo's grit and determination. There's a vocal segment of the fanbase who'll never like or accept TR. If the offense runs like it did against poor ISU then I'll be a very happy fan.

Reactions: Kelso86
You guys are warriors man. You keep explaining to those fans but they're having trouble getting pass a 23-8 starting quarterback; who happen to beat out a five star fragile quarterback who went 5-6 as the starter. It's there problem Kelso but I admire your and echo's grit and determination. There's a vocal segment of the fanbase who'll never like or accept TR. If the offense runs like it did against poor ISU then I'll be a very happy fan.
You mean 7-6 ISU that had to go to OT to beat Northern Iowa? Not much of a measuring stick to beat your chest about. Proof is in the pudding we'll see.

"But pinning your legacy to a 27 year old with zero OC experience seems to be quite the gamble"

Well, could be, but, are you in the meeting rooms with the coaches? Have you heard him in the game planning sessions? In a lot of cases, gone are the days of OC's (or DC's, HC's ...) "needing" experience. . Granted, it helps, but, as in everything in life, you have to have a 1st somewhere... plus, Res has a good mentor in Kelly to fall back on ... will there be hiccups along the way? Absolutely, part of the growth process. But, Rees has been around the game his whole life and even when he was the QB -- you could see him adjusting plays and players like a chess board.
No I'm not and either are you. We could go back and forth all day and we still have our opinion. Do I think Rees will be a good coach. Yes, with a few years experience. But it seems we're always building to get to the next level. Will the fans, alumns, or board be patient? My opinion would have been to have an experienced successful OC and let Rees develop under him a few years rather than him cutting his teeth the next few years. We shall see.

Ara, I agree with this. What I’ve never understood, is how some ND fans don’t recognize that Rees absolutely maximized his abilities on the field. He was slow with a weak Arm, and his overall physical abilities were below what we should expect of a starting QB at Notre Dame. Yet he achieved well beyond his limitations and during his time, his football smarts and understanding of Kelly’s offense and audibles on nearly every play, were frequently referenced as the reasons why. I always wanted a QB with more physical abilities than Rees when he was our QB, just as I have felt about Book, but always appreciated that he proved to be our best option.

Reactions: echowaker
No I'm not and either are you. We could go back and forth all day and we still have our opinion. Do I think Rees will be a good coach. Yes, with a few years experience. But it seems we're always building to get to the next level. Will the fans, alumns, or board be patient? My opinion would have been to have an experienced successful OC and let Rees develop under him a few years rather than him cutting his teeth the next few years. We shall see.
Agree with you in theory but as I posted early you either have faith that the guy in charge knows what is best for his program or you don't. He's closer to the situation than anyone else.

Ara, I agree with this. What I’ve never understood, is how some ND fans don’t recognize that Rees absolutely maximized his abilities on the field. He was slow with a weak Arm, and his overall physical abilities were below what we should expect of a starting QB at Notre Dame. Yet he achieved well beyond his limitations and during his time, his football smarts and understanding of Kelly’s offense and audibles on nearly every play, were frequently referenced as the reasons why. I always wanted a QB with more physical abilities than Rees when he was our QB, just as I have felt about Book, but always appreciated that he proved to be our best option.
All that qualifies Rees to be the OC at ND how? It's not just ND fans but many sports writers to scratch their heads on this one. It appears Kelly wants a yes man, which Long was not. Rees did not want Phil who had more upside then Ian.

All that qualifies Rees to be the OC at ND how? It's not just ND fans but many sports writers to scratch their heads on this one. It appears Kelly wants a yes man, which Long was not. Rees did not want Phil who had more upside then Ian.
source.gif

In part. But, I Have no idea if he is accepted as a leader, or how he will game plan and make in game adjustments. My post to Ara was really addressing his comment that some fans can’t get past their disapproval of him as ND’s starting QB.

It appears Kelly wants a yes man, which Long was not. Rees did not want Phil who had more upside then Ian.

First, you'd have to be in Kelly's head to know that. Secondly Rees has worked hands on with both Book and Jerkovic every day for two seasons plus. He's probably in a better position to judge between the two than anyone else is.

The only thing that has to qualify him is the belief of the guy that hired him. The rest is crap.

Where has it ever been publicly stated that Rees didn't want PJ at ND ?

First, you'd have to be in Kelly's head to know that. Secondly Rees has worked hands on with both Book and Jerkovic every day for two seasons plus. He's probably in a better position to judge between the two than anyone else is.

"Secondly Rees has worked hands on with both Book and Jerkovic every day for two seasons plus. He's probably in a better position to judge between the two than anyone else is."

You mean more than the people on this board??? Surely you jest!

Agree with you in theory but as I posted early you either have faith that the guy in charge knows what is best for his program or you don't. He's closer to the situation than anyone else.
I admit personally my faith is waning.
Where has it ever been publicly stated that Rees didn't want PJ at ND ?
No where that I know of publicly. A beat writer I play tennis with that will never repeat the rumors as he will be on the outside looking in if he's not NDFC (Notre Dame Football Correct) has mentioned a few times. Also Rees liking Ian's tweet about Phil being gone kinda confirms that also.

LOL, really? You were there every day in practice, and in the workout rooms, and in the meetings. Wow that impressive!!

LOL, really? You were there every day in practice, and in the workout rooms, and in the meetings. Wow that impressive!!
Huh?? I wasn't there every day working with those guys in practice, but Rees was, that's the point.

I admit personally my faith is waning.

No where that I know of publicly. A beat writer I play tennis with that will never repeat the rumors as he will be on the outside looking in if he's not NDFC (Notre Dame Football Correct) has mentioned a few times. Also Rees liking Ian's tweet about Phil being gone kinda confirms that also.
So you're relying on heresay. That's fine. Players come and go. PJ made a decision on what he believes is in his best interests. I applaud that. The narrative that he was basically "run out of town " is ridiculous in my opinion.

So you're relying on heresay. That's fine. Players come and go. PJ made a decision on what he believes is in his best interests. I applaud that. The narrative that he was basically "run out of town " is ridiculous in my opinion.

fair guess is:
that he felt he had a better chance for success elsewhere
that there may have been some friction between him and the staff

End result is both player and team are doing what is in own self interests.

Too understand BK's reasons for promoting TR too OC, you must understand the ground that sprouted the idea in the first place. You can't begin to understand that without reading the many articles that came out surrounding the Rees' promotion. For Swarbrick and Father Jenkins to enthusiastically support that decision TR must have done a heck of a job in the weeks leading up to and through the bowl game. The difference between many of you and me is simple; I'm willing to give the young man the chance too prove himself. I personally think he'll show up good next fall. The horse is in the pasture now and that's not going to change so I've moved on for now.

Too understand BK's reasons for promoting TR too OC, you must understand the ground that sprouted the idea in the first place. You can't begin to understand that without reading the many articles that came out surrounding the Rees' promotion. For Swarbrick and Father Jenkins to enthusiastically support that decision TR must have done a heck of a job in the weeks leading up to and through the bowl game. The difference between many of you and me is simple; I'm willing to give the young man the chance too prove himself. I personally think he'll show up good next fall. The horse is in the pasture now and that's not going to change so I've moved on for now.

IIRC Bob Davie was 'promoted' because of his success as interim coach with a domination of Rutgers or something.

so that guarantees this promotion is a mistake ? got it.
So much nonsense in his reply I never bothered replying too it. I've moved way pass those nut jobs, fight on echo.

Last edited:
I really like taking this kid, really good potential, although I don’t think he’s as tall as listed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT