ADVERTISEMENT

New commitment

jcswoopnh

ND Expert
Sep 7, 2017
Saftey Justin Walters class of 21, is the newest addition to the Irish. The stargazers may be a little disappointed but the ND coaches are not

Reactions: Bumpdaddy
What's the difference who said what, when? He's playing like a Five Star now and he's ours.

If the ND coaches are excited about him then so am I. I'm a reformed star gazer from my early days on this message board. Here's today's post of the ND Victory March...

Very physical player, with really nice measurables. Would like to see more film of him in coverage, but love to see him fill and track sideline-to-sideline. Way too early in the cycle for anyone to react to his ranking. He's going to be evaluated significantly over the coming months and we'll see where he sits after that.

Reactions: Kelso86
Not judging this player, but if ND want's to get in the top 5 recruiting like Kelly says he want's it probably won't happen offering three star recruits. We'll see how he develops thought. But funny that no one is allowed to question or have an opinion. I've been adherent Kelly supporter but I've had some serious issues about coaching/player decisions over the last year and a half. I hope I'm wrong on all of them. But pinning your legacy to a 27 year old with zero OC experience seems to be quite the gamble?

Reactions: NIN Irish
Not judging this player, but if ND want's to get in the top 5 recruiting like Kelly says he want's it probably won't happen offering three star recruits. We'll see how he develops thought. But funny that no one is allowed to question or have an opinion. I've been adherent Kelly supporter but I've had some serious issues about coaching/player decisions over the last year and a half. I hope I'm wrong on all of them. But pinning your legacy to a 27 year old with zero OC experience seems to be quite the gamble?
not to me. would you say the same thing about Matt Rhule hiring Joe Brady to be his OC ? i think you either have faith in the guy in charge or you don't.

Reactions: Ara64
I am noticing a number of safety offers for taller players. I am guessing that the staff wants more length at safety. Walters is 6'2.

not to me. would you say the same thing about Matt Rhule hiring Joe Brady to be his OC ? i think you either have faith in the guy in charge or you don't.
Ummm ,Joe Brady was NOT the OC for LSU first of all so I"m not really sure what your point is. He won the Broyles award as an assistant coach to Steve Ensminger is the OC at LSU and he's far from cutting his teeth at that position. Now if Rees had a hand in winning a NC under a top OC coach, and won a national award as an assistant I would probably be more accepting of him given the reins. Also, Joe is about 5 years older than Rees and has that much more experience. I think in 5 years Rees will be ready for a position like Brady. Just not now in my (and many others) opinion and as stated many times before will be giddy to come here and eat every word if I'm wrong. I think there will be a learning curve, it will show up on the field, and the press and fans will shred Kelly over this and I think will be hard to survive if he gets it wrong.

Not judging this player, but if ND want's to get in the top 5 recruiting like Kelly says he want's it probably won't happen offering three star recruits.
Every program offers 3-star recruits. Bama, Clemson OSU. Every one of them. The worst part of this statement is it's still way too early in the cycle to look from the outside and actually care who is currently a 3-star or 4-star. If a coaching staff of a big-time program isn't better at evaluating talent than the recruiting services, especially early in the recruiting cycle, then that coaching staff sucks.

And I know some of you will look at what I just wrote and think I'm one of those people that think stars don't matter. I know they matter in aggregate. They also matter in intention - coaching staffs should target more 4 and 5-star players than 3-star players. But they certainly matter less when you are talking about early in a recruiting cycle and about individual recruits. Walters has been high on ND's board for a while. I've seen his film. He has been described as a taller version of Alohi Gilman. Check out his film and you will see why. The staff has very good reasons to value him highly.

Reactions: Telx1 and jcswoopnh
Every program offers 3-star recruits. Bama, Clemson OSU. Every one of them. The worst part of this statement is it's still way too early in the cycle to look from the outside and actually care who is currently a 3-star or 4-star. If a coaching staff of a big-time program isn't better at evaluating talent than the recruiting services, especially early in the recruiting cycle, then that coaching staff sucks.

And I know some of you will look at what I just wrote and think I'm one of those people that think stars don't matter. I know they matter in aggregate. They also matter in intention - coaching staffs should target more 4 and 5-star players than 3-star players. But they certainly matter less when you are talking about early in a recruiting cycle and about individual recruits. Walters has been high on ND's board for a while. I've seen his film. He has been described as a taller version of Alohi Gilman. Check out his film and you will see why. The staff has very good reasons to value him highly.

I agree with many of the points made here. I also want to add that when the coaching staff is taking commitments this early in the cycle (from any player regardless of his rating) you can assume the coaching staff are high on said recruit/confident in their evaluation of that recruit. These type of commits I have no issues with regardless of their ranking. It's the last minute takes in desperation from low rated recruits at positions of need that make you really skeptical.

However, I do take issue with this idea that on an individual basis recruiting ratings aren't accurate. ALL recruiting ratings matter on a macro and micro level. They are more reliable/accurate at the macro level but that doesn't mean they aren't accurate on the micro level as well.

Reactions: Bumpdaddy

I agree that a 3 star at this point doesn't mean he won't elevate higher. Hence my "we'll see how he develops" but the lack of offers do concern me. I'm sure other teams know how to evaluate also, and they were probably holding off to see how he develops. Some kids come college ready and will contribute immediately (see Mayer). Some take a lot of work to get to that point. This was a meh good recruit, will not see the field probably the first couple years.

However, I take issue with this idea that on an individual basis recruiting ratings aren't accurate.
I did not say nor imply in any way that individual ratings weren't generally accurate. I just said they are less accurate than looking at the aggregate. I still believe that individual ratings are generally accurate, but it would be a mistake to say that, because the recruiting services have experts that are much better at evaluating talent than laymen, that they don't make mistakes in evaluations. And I don't mean mistakes after the fact when we've seen what the player does in college. I mean in real-time. For example, it was pretty obvious for a while that all of the recruiting services were getting Kyle Hamilton's rating wrong. They corrected their mistakes as the cycle progressed but then Rivals only managed to rank him as the 75th best prospect and ESPN only managed to rank him as the 175th best prospect. In real-time many people were saying both sites were still wrong about Hamilton's ranking and gave valid reasons why. They were very vocal about it. There are other examples.

And by saying this I'm not saying that every time people object to an individual rating it means the recruiting service is wrong. But I am saying that A) recruiting services don't always get individual ratings right, and B) when criticisms about certain individual rankings become consistent, persistent and widespread it is usually the critics who end up being right.

I agree that a 3 star at this point doesn't mean he won't elevate higher. Hence my "we'll see how he develops" but the lack of offers do concern me. I'm sure other teams know how to evaluate also, and they were probably holding off to see how he develops. Some kids come college ready and will contribute immediately (see Mayer). Some take a lot of work to get to that point. This was a meh good recruit, will not see the field probably the first couple years.
Have you seen his film?

People act as if top 5 recruiting classes don't involve 3 star players.
Rivals 2020 ratings
1. Georgia, 4 3 star recruits
2. Clemson 7
3. Alabama 5
4. LSU 7
5. Ohio State 10

Notre Dame had 6 and 1 long snapper

Very physical player, with really nice measurables. Would like to see more film of him in coverage, but love to see him fill and track sideline-to-sideline. Way too early in the cycle for anyone to react to his ranking. He's going to be evaluated significantly over the coming months and we'll see where he sits after that.
ND, UM, Wiscy all offered and so i'm guessing that they see a kid that has a chance to be a big time playmaker at some point in his career

Have you seen his film?
Yes, but from my untrained eye against HS competition I don't put a lot of stock in it. I really go by offers of many other recruiters that do this for a living. Sorry, when I see the kids offer list it doesn't get me all excited. Can he grow and develop sure. But will I take the recruiting prowess of Rees evaluating a safety over coaches at Alabama and Clemson, among many others? Probably not.

People act as if top 5 recruiting classes don't involve 3 star players.
Rivals 2020 ratings
1. Georgia, 4 3 star recruits
2. Clemson 7
3. Alabama 5
4. LSU 7
5. Ohio State 10

Notre Dame had 6 and 1 long snapper
Clemson also has 16 5 stars in the last 4 recruiting cycles compared to our 1. Just saying!

Clemson also has 16 5 stars in the last 4 recruiting cycles compared to our 1. Just saying!
Ya of course. That's the difference. Every team is going to have 3 stars in their classes. Teams separate themselves with who the best players in their class are.

The kid still has his senior season to play. Who knows how good or bad he will be?
Ridiculous!

Ummm ,Joe Brady was NOT the OC for LSU first of all so I"m not really sure what your point is. He won the Broyles award as an assistant coach to Steve Ensminger is the OC at LSU and he's far from cutting his teeth at that position. Now if Rees had a hand in winning a NC under a top OC coach, and won a national award as an assistant I would probably be more accepting of him given the reins. Also, Joe is about 5 years older than Rees and has that much more experience. I think in 5 years Rees will be ready for a position like Brady. Just not now in my (and many others) opinion and as stated many times before will be giddy to come here and eat every word if I'm wrong. I think there will be a learning curve, it will show up on the field, and the press and fans will shred Kelly over this and I think will be hard to survive if he gets it wrong.
Matt Rhule hired Joe Brady to be his OC for the Panthers despite no experience at that spot. Kelly promoted Rees to the position with as much OC experience as Brady. Rees though has been on the staff for three years not to mention playing here. No one is as familiar with the offense as he is. he's played in it and taught it . seems like the natural step to me.

Yes, but from my untrained eye against HS competition I don't put a lot of stock in it. I really go by offers of many other recruiters that do this for a living. Sorry, when I see the kids offer list it doesn't get me all excited. Can he grow and develop sure. But will I take the recruiting prowess of Rees evaluating a safety over coaches at Alabama and Clemson, among many others? Probably not.
Bill Rees is a highly regarded evaluator of talent. Tom Rees isn't evaluating defensive players. I think they leave that to Clark Lea and his defensive assistants.

Matt Rhule hired Joe Brady to be his OC for the Panthers despite no experience at that spot. Kelly promoted Rees to the position with as much OC experience as Brady. Rees though has been on the staff for three years not to mention playing here. No one is as familiar with the offense as he is. he's played in it and taught it . seems like the natural step to me.
We'll agree to disagree on this and proof is in the pudding. We'll see and I hope to God you're right and I'm wrong.

Reactions: echowaker
Bill Rees is a highly regarded evaluator of talent. Tom Rees isn't evaluating defensive players. I think they leave that to Clark Lea and his defensive assistants.
Oh ya I forgot about us hiring his father lol. On 247 it shows Rees as a recruiter. Kind of reminds me of the reverse of Joe and Hunter Biden lol.

Reactions: chitown sot
Oh ya I forgot about us hiring his father lol. On 247 it shows Rees as a recruiter. Kind of reminds me of the reverse of Joe and Hunter Biden lol.
check the background of Bill Rees. one of the best hires Kelly has made. Tom Rees may have been the initial contact of the current newest commitment if he is from Rees assigned area.

OMG give me a break. Now you are comparing Joe Brady to tommy rees? The same OC who just won his team a NC. You are beyond clueless

OMG give me a break. Now you are comparing Joe Brady to tommy rees? The same OC who just won his team a NC. You are beyond clueless
i know you were likely drunk when you posted that but Joe Brady had never been an OC before Rhule hired him. The comparison was exactly to that fact. Please try and keep up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT