ADVERTISEMENT

NDDadx3 says

WoadBlue

I've posted how many times?
Aug 15, 2008
"As John Riggins once said, you drive for show and you putt for dough … Big 10 hasn’t won a championship since MSU in 2000. Sorry that’s not a one game sample size."

Now that is one of those statements that makes astute readers think. I assume every regular reader of this board knows that the Big Ten since the day of its founding has been the wealthiest college sports conference. For most of that history of well more than 100 years the BT has been much wealthier than the second wealthiest conference. It is only in the last handful of years as the SEC has become so deeply excellent in football, far beyond the dominance of any conference ever, that it has come close to equaling the wealth of the BT. And now the BT is in panic mode because the SEC adding Texas and OU definitely will become richer while making certain that BT football can never be as good top to bottom as the SEC.

The BT dearly loves its money and the status that goes with being the richest. It also dearly loves to use its media power to preen before the world as if it is indeed the best. The reality is that while the BT never can become less wealthy than 2nd richest, it also never can hope to equal the depth of football quality that the SEC unless it expands to as many as 24 teams with ND and major schools in CA, FL, GA, and the upper South. Only then could BT money and media control potentially deliver football depth of quality to match the SEC.

For a moment, let's step away from football to get back to basketball, which is the sport discussed in the thread from which the NDDad quote comes. If the BT's super wealth actually were able to deliver consistent top quality, surely it would do so in basketball. Where is the actual evidence? That fact of no National Champion since 2000 is very large fact. A drought of more than 20 years cannot be just about bad luck. But if being the richest league matters significantly and if the BT not winning it all were just bad luck at failing in one game, the Championship Game, then we would see over the following 22 Finals Four at least 22 total BT teams, at least a third of which had lost in the Championship Game, as well as more than another 22 that lost in the Elite 8. That would mean the BT has averaged 1 Final Four team per year and more than 2 Elite 8 teams per year.

Is that what we have seen? Of course not.

Not let's get back to football: the costliest sport and the most wealth producing. If being the richest means a good deal in terms of winning versus others with less money, then we should see BT dominance across time in football, the sport where money is biggest. And let's go back much farther than 2000, so we can see over the span of some 3 generations. Let's start with 1970 so we have a clear decade marker after the end of 1 platoon football and of segregation from Maryland all the way through Texas. And let's make direct comparison to the ACC, the little 'basketball' conference filled with smaller schools. If money means all that much, then the BT should have at least 3 times - maybe even 5 times - more National Champs in football than the ACC does.

Michigan - 1997; Ohio St 2002; Ohio St 2014.

So the richest league has a grand total of 3 over more than 50 years. That's some major football dominance right there, folks. That shows you the endless power of money to deliver quality teams. It also shows you the superiority of the Big Ten in the biggest sport. No wonder there are ND fans who assert that ACC football is boring because it is not nearly as good as BT football. Those same ND fans tend to speculate that if things continue to move so that ND must go full football membership in a conference, that the BT is the only choice because its huge money could not be passed by.

So how about the ACC, with easily the smallest student body average among P5 conferences, the only 'Major' conference to be assumed to be a 'basketball conference' rather than a 'football conference.'

Clemson - 1981; Georgia Tech - 1990; FSU - 1993; FSU - 1999; FSU - 2013; Clemson - 2016; Clemson - 2018.

So the smaller, poorer ACC, in what is not even the ACC's best sport, has more than double the National Champions that the super large, super rich Big Ten has produced?

Just how weak is BT football? Yes, BT football is filthy rich, and it has humongous hordes of goofy fans across the midwest, but its product is mediocre as can be.

"As John Riggins once said, you drive for show and you putt for dough … Big 10 hasn’t won a championship since MSU in 2000. Sorry that’s not a one game sample size."

Now that is one of those statements that makes astute readers think. I assume every regular reader of this board knows that the Big Ten since the day of its founding has been the wealthiest college sports conference. For most of that history of well more than 100 years the BT has been much wealthier than the second wealthiest conference. It is only in the last handful of years as the SEC has become so deeply excellent in football, far beyond the dominance of any conference ever, that it has come close to equaling the wealth of the BT. And now the BT is in panic mode because the SEC adding Texas and OU definitely will become richer while making certain that BT football can never be as good top to bottom as the SEC.

The BT dearly loves its money and the status that goes with being the richest. It also dearly loves to use its media power to preen before the world as if it is indeed the best. The reality is that while the BT never can become less wealthy than 2nd richest, it also never can hope to equal the depth of football quality that the SEC unless it expands to as many as 24 teams with ND and major schools in CA, FL, GA, and the upper South. Only then could BT money and media control potentially deliver football depth of quality to match the SEC.

For a moment, let's step away from football to get back to basketball, which is the sport discussed in the thread from which the NDDad quote comes. If the BT's super wealth actually were able to deliver consistent top quality, surely it would do so in basketball. Where is the actual evidence? That fact of no National Champion since 2000 is very large fact. A drought of more than 20 years cannot be just about bad luck. But if being the richest league matters significantly and if the BT not winning it all were just bad luck at failing in one game, the Championship Game, then we would see over the following 22 Finals Four at least 22 total BT teams, at least a third of which had lost in the Championship Game, as well as more than another 22 that lost in the Elite 8. That would mean the BT has averaged 1 Final Four team per year and more than 2 Elite 8 teams per year.

Not let's get back to football: the costliest sport and the most wealth producing. If being the richest means a good deal in terms of winning versus others with less money, then we should see BT dominance across time in football, the sport where money is biggest. And let's go back much farther than 2000, so we can see over the span of some 3 generations. Let's start with 1970 so we have a clear decade marker after the end of 1 platoon football and of segregation from Maryland all the way through Texas. And let's make direct comparison to the ACC, the little 'basketball' conference filled with smaller schools. If money means all that much, then the BT should have at least 3 times - maybe even 5 times - more National Champs in football than the ACC does.

So the richest league has a grand total of 3 over more than 50 years. That's some major football dominance right there, folks. That shows you the endless power of money to deliver quality teams. It also shows you the superiority of the Big Ten in the biggest sport. No wonder there are ND fans who assert that ACC football is boring because it is not nearly as good as BT football. Those same ND fans tend to speculate that if things continue to move so that ND must go full football membership in a conference, that the BT is the only choice because its huge money could not be passed by.

So how about the ACC, with easily the smallest student body average among P5 conferences, the only 'Major' conference to be assumed to be a 'basketball conference' rather than a 'football conference.'

Clemson - 1981; Georgia Tech - 1990; FSU - 1993; FSU - 1999; FSU - 2013; Clemson - 2016; Clemson - 2018.

So the smaller, poorer ACC, in what is not even the ACC's best sport, has more than double the National Champions that the super large, super rich Big Ten has produced?

Just how weak is BT football? Yes, BT football is filthy rich, and it has humongous hordes of goofy fans across the midwest, but its product is mediocre as can be.
Nice!

I will NEVER want a thing to do with the Big Ten…. ! ACC is the perfect spot for ND for all sports and if necessary, someday football. BC, Duke, GT, Wake Forest, Clemson etc. have much much more in common with the ideals and guiding principles of ND than the giant secular “ state U’s”.

Go Irish… !

I will NEVER want a thing to do with the Big Ten…. ! ACC is the perfect spot for ND for all sports and if necessary, someday football. BC, Duke, GT, Wake Forest, Clemson etc. have much much more in common with the ideals and guiding principles of ND than the giant secular “ state U’s”.

Go Irish… !
I wouldn't say that the ACC is a perfect place for ND, but it is a whole lot better than the Big 10. The Big 10 would screw ND every chance it had.

Big Ten has had seven runners-up. They are not as overwhelmed as is being suggested

"The hockey seems like a nice fit!"

Only because there are not a lot of options available to Men's (not sure if ND does/does not have a Women's Team) hockey.

Some BiG schools (Wisconsin for sure) do have women's ice hockey, but not ND.

Reactions: Kelso86
Well I think the Big Ten would be a perfectly good home for ND for obvious reasons, and I would definitely prefer without any question for ND to have it as a conference, in a more perfect world I suppose of course.

In the actual world however it appears that that bridge is irrevocably, even tragically destroyed, and it's really not an option at the current juncture, for whatever stupid historical reasons and whatnot. And so the ACC it is....

But I do want ND to play Clemson and NC State and Wake Forest and all the rest of our would-be ACC schedule on a regular, ongoing basis? F no!!! I mean god no, a million times no, no if ands or buts, no way no day.... every which possible way for a human person full of teeming free will to express the concept of NO, I DECLINE.... that's my unequivocal, unambiguous feeling about playing in the ACC vs The Big Ten.

I want to be playing Michigan, Michigan St, Penn St., Ohio St., Purdue, Wisconsin, you name it. I think if I had a million times to choose between the two, I feel like all million times I would choose the Big Ten without hesitation. It's basically an awesome conference, and ND, as an institution that is absolutely and irrefutably a child of the Midwest, despite any other more cosmopolitan pretensions, which is a wonderful part of the country/world to relish being located in I might add, it's the conference we should obviously be a member of. No explanation/justification even required.

To me it's the no-brainer of no-brainers. But I guess there's this quirky little historical resentment, and vendetta, and thus it will be denied to ND to be a part of this kick-ass conference wherein ND's destiny obviously should lie. And so we get the ACC, which I guess is okay as a Plan B. But it sure is a god-damn shame that we can't bury the hatchet, and get over it, which is what you do in life, you get over shit. You forgive.... But ND apparently has the luxury of not getting over it as it suits them, and can keep nursing this grudge into time immemorial, and that's the deal. And then we find ourselves getting into rivalries with programs from pretty much the deep south. Which does nothing for me a as fan, and son and grandson and nephew and cousin of of numerous ND alums, I'm hardly ashamed to say. And which should be far more offensive to ND's historical sense of itself than the fact that Ned Yost had a thing against ND and disrespected us around a hundred years ago...

Anyway, that's my feeling. It will always be the Big Ten for me as a born-and-raised ND fan....

Well I think the Big Ten would be a perfectly good home for ND for obvious reasons, and I would definitely prefer without any question for ND to have it as a conference, in a more perfect world I suppose of course.

In the actual world however it appears that that bridge is irrevocably, even tragically destroyed, and it's really not an option at the current juncture, for whatever stupid historical reasons and whatnot. And so the ACC it is....

But I do want ND to play Clemson and NC State and Wake Forest and all the rest of our would-be ACC schedule on a regular, ongoing basis? F no!!! I mean god no, a million times no, no if ands or buts, no way no day.... every which possible way for a human person full of teeming free will to express the concept of NO, I DECLINE.... that's my unequivocal, unambiguous feeling about playing in the ACC vs The Big Ten.

I want to be playing Michigan, Michigan St, Penn St., Ohio St., Purdue, Wisconsin, you name it. I think if I had a million times to choose between the two, I feel like all million times I would choose the Big Ten without hesitation. It's basically an awesome conference, and ND, as an institution that is absolutely and irrefutably a child of the Midwest, despite any other more cosmopolitan pretensions, which is a wonderful part of the country/world to relish being located in I might add, it's the conference we should obviously be a member of. No explanation/justification even required.

To me it's the no-brainer of no-brainers. But I guess there's this quirky little historical resentment, and vendetta, and thus it will be denied to ND to be a part of this kick-ass conference wherein ND's destiny obviously should lie. And so we get the ACC, which I guess is okay as a Plan B. But it sure is a god-damn shame that we can't bury the hatchet, and get over it, which is what you do in life, you get over shit. You forgive.... But ND apparently has the luxury of not getting over it as it suits them, and can keep nursing this grudge into time immemorial, and that's the deal. And then we find ourselves getting into rivalries with programs from pretty much the deep south. Which does nothing for me a as fan, and son and grandson and nephew and cousin of of numerous ND alums, I'm hardly ashamed to say. And which should be far more offensive to ND's historical sense of itself than the fact that Ned Yost had a thing against ND and disrespected us around a hundred years ago...

Anyway, that's my feeling. It will always be the Big Ten for me as a born-and-raised ND fan....
Quick- how many big10 schools are settling OR have settled child, woman and men assault/rape cases?
FIVE

next, how many graduate minorities close to their overall rate?
SHOULD CHECK

Reactions: sluggo69
Quick- how many big10 schools are settling OR have settled child, woman and men assault/rape cases?
FIVE

next, how many graduate minorities close to their overall rate?
SHOULD CHECK
This is what I'm talking about. One day this fanatical generation of Big Ten haters will pass by. People who have somehow gotten to a place where they seemingly define themselves as men almost, by this unrelenting, essentially enigmatic antipathy for the Big Ten conference. As incredible as that sounds, and we're talking about a football team and what league they might play in, as if it were some sort of literal holy war.

LIke a lot of social change/progress, sometimes you just have to wait for a certain generation of people to pass on, because they are simply unreachable. Doesn't matter how almost surreally absurd the point of contention, the intransigence continues unchecked...

This is what I'm talking about. One day this fanatical generation of Big Ten haters will pass by. People who have somehow gotten to a place where they seemingly define themselves as men almost, by this unrelenting, essentially enigmatic antipathy for the Big Ten conference. As incredible as that sounds, and we're talking about a football team and what league they might play in, as if it were some sort of literal holy war.

LIke a lot of social change/progress, sometimes you just have to wait for a certain generation of people to pass on, because they are simply unreachable. Doesn't matter how almost surreally absurd the point of contention, the intransigence continues unchecked...
Ok so you love Big10…which law suit are you in?

No wonder there are ND fans who assert that ACC football is boring because it is not nearly as good as BT football.
If the standard is 'boring' then you need to compare the Johnny Come Latelys. Nebraska&PSU > Miami&Pitt, but not by much.

That's a red herring. Historical mistreatment is why the fans don't like each other but not why TPTB chose not to sign away our independence. ND is not inside the Big Borg because it is not in our interest to do so. It would be another boost to their tv contract while ND would become just another Nebraska.

Reactions: BGI User 756
If the standard is 'boring' then you need to compare the Johnny Come Latelys. Nebraska&PSU > Miami&Pitt, but not by much.

That's a red herring. Historical mistreatment is why the fans don't like each other but not why TPTB chose not to sign away our independence. ND is not inside the Big Borg because it is not in our interest to do so. It would be another boost to their tv contract while ND would become just another Nebraska.
It's not about independence, just in the case of needing to join a conference, for whatever reason. And we actually joined the ACC rather than the Big Ten for all the other sports when push came to shove.

Anyway, it just hits you sometimes how crazy that is. And I would assume, or like to think at least, the powers that be would be perfectly willing to join the Big Ten, but it's so ingrained in the ND cultural folklore that they don't dare. And now it effectively guides ND's destiny....

It's not about independence, just in the case of needing to join a conference, for whatever reason. And we actually joined the ACC rather than the Big Ten for all the other sports when push came to shove.

Anyway, it just hits you sometimes how crazy that is. And I would assume, or like to think at least, the powers that be would be perfectly willing to join the Big Ten, but it's so ingrained in the ND cultural folklore that they don't dare. And now it effectively guides ND's destiny....
its origin is in the treatment from 75 years ago. Its reiterated when dealing with AD's like Michigan. And its highlighted when you look at the BS at those 5 schools that prioritized sports to the degree they did while covering up those items (and that is also not calling attention to the BS academic practices there)

The PTB that want the BUG10 basically don't care about football or athletics. There are some financial and academic benefits to that conference, although smaller than believed. But the athletic profile is dim, look what happened to Nebraska.

The PTB that want the BUG10 basically don't care about football or athletics. There are some financial and academic benefits to that conference, although smaller than believed. But the athletic profile is dim, look what happened to Nebraska.

Academically, Notre Dame does not fit well in the Big10. Many variables in the educational approaches and needs are so different.

Bottom line is this perennial Big Ten hating obsession comes from the dark bowels of ND's jealously-defended self-image, and is not based in anything particularly factual. At least as far as I can tell. I would be genuinely surprised if any of the claims always tossed out about how the Big Ten sucks, and would be bad for ND for all these different reasons, held any water at all....

The Big Ten seems like an aces conference from soup to nuts. The problem is all on ND's side. Even characterizing that way is being generous about it.

Bottom line is this perennial Big Ten hating obsession comes from the dark bowels of ND's jealously-defended self-image, and is not based in anything particularly factual. At least as far as I can tell. I would be genuinely surprised if any of the claims always tossed out about how the Big Ten sucks, and would be bad for ND for all these different reasons, held any water at all....

The Big Ten seems like an aces conference from soup to nuts. The problem is all on ND's side. Even characterizing that way is being generous about it.
Stick with the hand modeling gig

When did John Riggins make that drive/putt comment? He was a football player, never a golfer. As far as I know, his most memorable quote was when he got in a drunken stupor at a Washington, D.C., dinner, and told Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor to "loosen up, baby, you're too tight."

As for conference affiliation, since Notre Dame will never enter as a football participant, who care what goup they join. The basketball team would rarely, if at all, enhance either the Big Ten or the ACC with its basketball team. Given that Atkinson and Wesley have left, next year's team looks to be a particularly bleak outfit.

Stick with the hand modeling gig
Okay, man. Once again, you have no answer. Because I honestly don't think there is one. I always assumed there was some kind of actually substantive basis for all this. It couldn't possibly be on account of something that happened 100 years ago, or longer, and even then seemed pretty minor and forgive-and-forgettable. And huge, huge decisions for the university, this fairly titanic, and certainly venerable institution in American society, are actually dictated by this refusal to ever consider joining the Big Ten, their obvious natural home, on account of that ancient slight. It takes your breath away that this could possibly be the case..

But until proven otherwise I suppose I'm going to assume that it is. For some reason it really hit me just how insane that really is. I must be getting older.

Okay, man. Once again, you have no answer. Because I honestly don't think there is one. I always assumed there was some kind of actually substantive basis for all this. It couldn't possibly be on account of something that happened 100 years ago, or longer, and even then seemed pretty minor and forgive-and-forgettable. And huge, huge decisions for the university, this fairly titanic, and certainly venerable institution in American society, are actually dictated by this refusal to ever consider joining the Big Ten, their obvious natural home, on account of that ancient slight. It takes your breath away that this could possibly be the case..

But until proven otherwise I suppose I'm going to assume that it is. For some reason it really hit me just how insane that really is. I must be getting older.
You were given a few reasons and chose to dismiss them. A little research would explain more of the history. You are too lazy to do such.

you are getting older but you remain as much as a buffoon as previous

Reactions: Golson5

Come on....

Let's not go down this road like they've only been playing football since 2000.
Holy shit if that's your metric then good god what you must think of our beloved who has seen three B10 titles since our last of 1988.

This shit goes in waves.
The 70's were USC, ND, Bama, Pitt, PSU, OU/Nebraska
The 80's were dominanted by PSU, ND, Miami, OU and Pitt to a lesser extent.
Christ even BYU had their day.

The 90's were Nebraska and then who cares. They were so good especially that team that destroyed Florida in embarrassing fashion ...they made you think about that team years after. FSU, Washington, Colorado, Michigan all got a piece too.

Yes the SEC has had a nice run but let's not lose sight that in the last 20 years the media has been trendier then ever. Don't think for a second the talking heads don't help drive that shit right in the heads of the "committee" ...that's funny BTW ..the "committee" like there's some amazing formula being used by many scientists to come up with "the best" 4 teams.

Without crossover conference competition...without the SEC traveling above the Mason Dixon line after Halloween....
It's a Punch and Judy show.
It's nothing but a fashion show.

Even at that I say again...this stuff runs in cycles.

A lot have schools have joined that conference. Which one is better off?

"Bottom line is this perennial Big Ten hating obsession comes from the dark bowels of ND's jealously-defended self-image, and is not based in anything particularly factual. At least as far as I can tell"

Maybe not the whole B10, but some of them -- mostly Michigan -- "After Notre Dame defeated Michigan in 1909, the two teams were scheduled to rematch on November 5, 1910. Before the 1910 contest, Yost protested Notre Dame's intended use of two players (Philbrook and Dimmick) that he believed were ineligible and cancelled the 1910 meeting when Notre Dame did not bench the two players in question. Yost later refused to schedule Notre Dame for any later seasons, deepening the feud between Yost and Notre Dame coach Knute Rockne. After cancelling the series, Yost was instrumental in corralling together the member schools of the Western Conference (the current day Big Ten Conference), refusing entry to Notre Dame and suggesting that conference members should not schedule the Fighting Irish. As a result of the boycott by Midwest opponents, Notre Dame scheduled games against schools on the east coast and west coast, such as USC and Army, and did not play Michigan again until 1942"

But to your point -- what would the conference be today HAD ND been granted admission back then?

I'm not going to argue with you on this level. I'm way past that. And it's pure gibberish anyway. Just made-up nothing. Every time you get into these arguments, and this very thread, one of millions of internet threads like this already had between ND fans, and presumably bemused outsiders who don't 'get it', are all cases in point of exactly my contention, and is just one more living, breathing example of how crazy this all is, and how it remains alive and well, even into the year 2020. And indeed continues to supremely influence and guide ND's behavior as an institution with very tangible consequences, like joining the ACC instead of being in the Big Ten. And traveling to the deep south on a regular basis for the entire athletic department's teams, not just the football team, as they are all of course bound by this.... unwholesome historical legacy, shall we say...

So do you not see how effed up that is???? Pardon my french. Actually joining a sports league on the other side of the country practically, all in the service of nursing this mind-bogglingly insignificant grudge, which by now has completely taken on the proverbial life of its own, and is quite detached and removed from the original actual incident, and lives on as this bit of legendary lore, now hardened into immovable dogma...

And I hate to say it but it's you! It's the fact that this notion is so ingrained, and indeed jealously guarded and nurtured and maintained in the ND fan culture or whatnot, that this insane situation even exists today. It has to be! I find it impossible to believe, in the world we live in, the truly enlightened world we live in today certainly compared to 100 years ago... that practical people, all trained and steeped in and pretty much beholden to the latest wisdom and science of organizational efficiency, as if that sort of thing is even remotely required in this situation... and left in charge of giant entities like a prominent university with a huge athletic dept, would ever be personally motivated by such madness. And the truth is they are merely giving the people what they want. As if it's out of their hands. And if it were up to them we'd probably be in the Big Ten already, quite naturally. But then the spell would be broken. And there'd be nothing more to 'get' when it comes to ND football....

So this is obviously an insane thing, and is completely crazy, and it's not hyperbole to use language like 'madness', 'insanity', 'crazy', that ND finds themselves in this situation. I don't know quite why it's hitting me so hard, because this subject has certainly be agonized over ad nauseam in the past. Probably because of the times. Feels like the world's ending and it probably is, and one is more apt to look around and see all the insane shit in society that before was merely taken for granted.

So straight up some food for thought. And this is not a discussion, and we're not discussing this.... This isn't a negotiation. I'm asking you, as a fellow lifelong ND fan, to begin the process of relenting on this, and letting this go. Because it's time for this to end, whether we ever join the Big Ten or not. It's time for this madness to finally end. And everything I've said in this thread is in perfect sincerity, and with considerable conviction. Don't try to act like I'm being some sort of troll or something because I'm not, it ain't April Fool's yet...

So, anyways.... I guess that's that.

"Bottom line is this perennial Big Ten hating obsession comes from the dark bowels of ND's jealously-defended self-image, and is not based in anything particularly factual. At least as far as I can tell"

Maybe not the whole B10, but some of them -- mostly Michigan -- "After Notre Dame defeated Michigan in 1909, the two teams were scheduled to rematch on November 5, 1910. Before the 1910 contest, Yost protested Notre Dame's intended use of two players (Philbrook and Dimmick) that he believed were ineligible and cancelled the 1910 meeting when Notre Dame did not bench the two players in question. Yost later refused to schedule Notre Dame for any later seasons, deepening the feud between Yost and Notre Dame coach Knute Rockne. After cancelling the series, Yost was instrumental in corralling together the member schools of the Western Conference (the current day Big Ten Conference), refusing entry to Notre Dame and suggesting that conference members should not schedule the Fighting Irish. As a result of the boycott by Midwest opponents, Notre Dame scheduled games against schools on the east coast and west coast, such as USC and Army, and did not play Michigan again until 1942"

But to your point -- what would the conference be today HAD ND been granted admission back then?
I don't know, man. I don't know how things would have gone if ND had joined the Big Ten. That's a lot of rewriting of history you'd have to do to contemplate that shit. If ND treasures its independence so dearly shouldn't you be grateful to the people in it's past that were so formative in helping shape ND's destiny, especially something so specific, so peculiar to ND's own journey through space and time. You shouldn't resent the people that sent you on a better path even if they didn't mean it, and their intentions weren't particularly great, and they weren't very nice....

In any case, the Big Ten bashing, and the seething animosity must end. It's crazy, obviously.... and the Big Ten is like a gold-plated conference. It's a conference to aspire to want to be like and to want to be a part of. It isn't any of the things ND fans so routinely claim it is. And it doesn't mothereffin' matter what happened 100 years ago in any event.

So that's how that goes. And hopefully we can make some progress on this. I'm feeling kind of inspired we might....

Edit to add that the dude's name is not Ned Yost. That's a baseball player from the 80s. But it's something Yost. May he burn in hell!!!!

Last edited:
I don't know, man. I don't know how things would have gone if ND had joined the Big Ten. That's a lot of rewriting of history you'd have to do to contemplate that shit. If ND treasures its independence so dearly shouldn't you be grateful to the people in it's past that were so formative in helping shape ND's destiny, especially something so specific, so peculiar to ND's own journey through space and time. You shouldn't resent the people that sent you on a better path even if they didn't mean it, and their intentions weren't particularly great, and they weren't very nice....

In any case, the Big Ten bashing, and the seething animosity must end. It's crazy, obviously.... and the Big Ten is like a gold-plated conference. It's a conference to aspire to want to be like and to want to be a part of. It isn't any of the things ND fans so routinely claim it is. And it doesn't mothereffin' matter what happened 100 years ago in any event.

So that's how that goes. And hopefully we can make some progress on this. I'm feeling kind of inspired we might....

Edit to add that the dude's name is not Ned Yost. That's a baseball player from the 80s. But it's something Yost. May he burn in hell!!!!
Fielding Yost.

He's given Notre Dame's aggrieved sensibilities a Yost infection.

Go Irish… !
Yep...right up until the NIL is in full swing.
Then we'll see just how much those principles mean or who will sell out.

5 years....

You were given a few reasons and chose to dismiss them. A little research would explain more of the history. You are too lazy to do such.

you are getting older but you remain as much as a buffoon as previous
Oh shit, I didn't see you responded.

So I guess I'll say one last bit of real shit to you. This is real talk, one ND fan to another. And spare me the song and dance and how you get all flustered and your tone gets all hard like I'm supposed to be impressed by you or something. Just flush your empty rhetoric down the toilet for once.

In any event, this is effed up, and is messed up on a very serious moral level IMO. I implore you to figure out an exit strategy for yourself. This bizarro Big Ten hating has got to be retired. It's some genuine, bona-fide cult-like shit. As well as being prima facie lunacy. So you do what you need to do to extricate yourself. I'm a strong believer in exit strategies, so figure out your exit strategy, and we can put this finally behind us.

Sometimes these cute little historical trifles or whatever, are fun. And are part of the experience, with sports rivalries and whatnot. But with ND it's gotten completely out of hand. And the fact that we are actually in the ACC.... is insane.

Again this trendy thinking is ridiculous and just piling on.

To add and I'm not an advocate of the Big10...(I wish every school were independent)
But you are forgetting or conveniently leaving out all the years the B10's fate was already sealed with their rose bowl exclusive tie in. Remember it was an act of god to get those old fat cat bastards to allow the Big10 winner (or pac 10 for that matter to play for a title/playoff)
Without going back and dissecting every year I can tell you PSU in 1994 very well might have had the best team but they could only play the Pac10 winner.
Oregon wasn't a marquee matchup. Nebraska meanwhile was able to play Miami in the Orange Bowl.
The matchup everyone wanted that year was Nebraska vs. PSU.
That couldn't happen because again the bullshit B10 tie in to the Rose bowl.

Again not advocating for the Big10 but if you're going to poke fun then you better take that Rose bowl tie for many years as a factor in this as well.

Come on....

Let's not go down this road like they've only been playing football since 2000.
Holy shit if that's your metric then good god what you must think of our beloved who has seen three B10 titles since our last of 1988.

This shit goes in waves.
The 70's were USC, ND, Bama, Pitt, PSU, OU/Nebraska
The 80's were dominanted by PSU, ND, Miami, OU and Pitt to a lesser extent.
Christ even BYU had their day.

The 90's were Nebraska and then who cares. They were so good especially that team that destroyed Florida in embarrassing fashion ...they made you think about that team years after. FSU, Washington, Colorado, Michigan all got a piece too.

Yes the SEC has had a nice run but let's not lose sight that in the last 20 years the media has been trendier then ever. Don't think for a second the talking heads don't help drive that shit right in the heads of the "committee" ...that's funny BTW ..the "committee" like there's some amazing formula being used by many scientists to come up with "the best" 4 teams.

Without crossover conference competition...without the SEC traveling above the Mason Dixon line after Halloween....
It's a Punch and Judy show.
It's nothing but a fashion show.

Even at that I say again...this stuff runs in cycles.
This is a 25 year cycle and if you follow recruiting at all, you'd know it's not slowing down

Oh shit, I didn't see you responded.

So I guess I'll say one last bit of real shit to you. This is real talk, one ND fan to another. And spare me the song and dance and how you get all flustered and your tone gets all hard like I'm supposed to be impressed by you or something. Just flush your empty rhetoric down the toilet for once.

In any event, this is effed up, and is messed up on a very serious moral level IMO. I implore you to figure out an exit strategy for yourself. This bizarro Big Ten hating has got to be retired. It's some genuine, bona-fide cult-like shit. As well as being prima facie lunacy. So you do what you need to do to extricate yourself. I'm a strong believer in exit strategies, so figure out your exit strategy, and we can put this finally behind us.

Sometimes these cute little historical trifles or whatever, are fun. And are part of the experience, with sports rivalries and whatnot. But with ND it's gotten completely out of hand. And the fact that we are actually in the ACC.... is insane.
lol, par for the course. You have "real talk"? Since when?? You do take the most words to express a half-witted post, will give you that. And boy, you are so impressive when you do "real talk". Do your hands get a little more manly as well?

Just as the liberal you have been proudly claiming to be, I forgot that you are all inclusive of other views....as long as they agree with yours...amirite? So it must be a cult? LMFAO

lol, par for the course. You have "real talk"? Since when?? You do take the most words to express a half-witted post, will give you that. And boy, you are so impressive when you do "real talk". Do your hands get a little more manly as well?

Just as the liberal you have been proudly claiming to be, I forgot that you are all inclusive of other views....as long as they agree with yours...amirite? So it must be a cult? LMFAO
I guess I can't argue with that. Even though of course that is the whole point, these horribly misguided 'opinions' that your hardcore 'gets it' ND fan hold so close. But I don't know what else to say. This shit is bonkers, man. I mean it always was, but the fact that it has actually culminated in a situation with ND joining the ACC, and those kids are getting on planes and flying to Atlanta and Durham and Miami and Clemson, SC.... It speaks for itself.

I'm not going to argue with you on this level. I'm way past that. And it's pure gibberish anyway. Just made-up nothing. Every time you get into these arguments, and this very thread, one of millions of internet threads like this already had between ND fans, and presumably bemused outsiders who don't 'get it', are all cases in point of exactly my contention, and is just one more living, breathing example of how crazy this all is, and how it remains alive and well, even into the year 2020. And indeed continues to supremely influence and guide ND's behavior as an institution with very tangible consequences, like joining the ACC instead of being in the Big Ten. And traveling to the deep south on a regular basis for the entire athletic department's teams, not just the football team, as they are all of course bound by this.... unwholesome historical legacy, shall we say...

So do you not see how effed up that is???? Pardon my french. Actually joining a sports league on the other side of the country practically, all in the service of nursing this mind-bogglingly insignificant grudge, which by now has completely taken on the proverbial life of its own, and is quite detached and removed from the original actual incident, and lives on as this bit of legendary lore, now hardened into immovable dogma...

And I hate to say it but it's you! It's the fact that this notion is so ingrained, and indeed jealously guarded and nurtured and maintained in the ND fan culture or whatnot, that this insane situation even exists today. It has to be! I find it impossible to believe, in the world we live in, the truly enlightened world we live in today certainly compared to 100 years ago... that practical people, all trained and steeped in and pretty much beholden to the latest wisdom and science of organizational efficiency, as if that sort of thing is even remotely required in this situation... and left in charge of giant entities like a prominent university with a huge athletic dept, would ever be personally motivated by such madness. And the truth is they are merely giving the people what they want. As if it's out of their hands. And if it were up to them we'd probably be in the Big Ten already, quite naturally. But then the spell would be broken. And there'd be nothing more to 'get' when it comes to ND football....

So this is obviously an insane thing, and is completely crazy, and it's not hyperbole to use language like 'madness', 'insanity', 'crazy', that ND finds themselves in this situation. I don't know quite why it's hitting me so hard, because this subject has certainly be agonized over ad nauseam in the past. Probably because of the times. Feels like the world's ending and it probably is, and one is more apt to look around and see all the insane shit in society that before was merely taken for granted.

So straight up some food for thought. And this is not a discussion, and we're not discussing this.... This isn't a negotiation. I'm asking you, as a fellow lifelong ND fan, to begin the process of relenting on this, and letting this go. Because it's time for this to end, whether we ever join the Big Ten or not. It's time for this madness to finally end. And everything I've said in this thread is in perfect sincerity, and with considerable conviction. Don't try to act like I'm being some sort of troll or something because I'm not, it ain't April Fool's yet...

So, anyways.... I guess that's that.
I understand that you say the B10 is the best destination for ND, even that it is a "gold-plated conference." Does that refer to the big money payout on the tv deal? You say we won't join because of a grudge against Michigan and Fielding Yost from over 100 years ago, and that is closing ND's mind to the best outcome? Did I get you correctly?

Please don't confuse me with the average ND fan. I asked you a specific question:

Start the clock at 1960 we have:

1. Michigan State
  2. Penn State
  3. Nebraska
  4. Rutgers
  5. Maryland

I understand that you say the B10 is the best destination for ND, even that it is a "gold-plated conference." Does that refer to the big money payout on the tv deal? You say we won't join because of a grudge against Michigan and Fielding Yost from over 100 years ago, and that is closing ND's mind to the best outcome? Did I get you correctly?

Please don't confuse me with the average ND fan. I asked you a specific question:

Start the clock at 1960 we have:

1. Michigan State
  2. Penn State
  3. Nebraska
  4. Rutgers
  5. Maryland
Alright, man. Sounds good. Whatever.

And you got me alright, that's what I'm saying. I don't have god-like omniscience of the pulse of the ND universe, but that would appear to be the case, and that is indeed the reason, at bottom, for this state of affairs, as unreal as it sounds. And I just found it deeply troubling in a way I never really did before until this thread. But don't let me stop you. You keep recycling this insanity to your heart's content. The Big Ten is evil, the Big Ten sucks, you can back it up with stats, you're justified in hating them.... Etc.....

Anyway, I've got to stop. I've said my peace.

^ nice exit strategy….after about a dozen responses to half dozen posters …couldn’t you have posted this first and given us 10 minutes of our life back?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT