ADVERTISEMENT

ND Reps - 08:15:16

Lincoln Feist has cat like reflexes. Could be the surprise player of the year !
I like Max Redfield's tackle---with extreme prejudice he slams the runner to the ground !

Lincoln Feist had quite a few options when it came to where he wanted to continue his education and play college football.

But when it boiled right down to it, the St. Thomas More all-stater simply couldn’t refuse an opportunity to suit up for one of the most storied programs in college football history.

Feist, a 6-foot-3, 285-pound offensive and defensive lineman, decided to pass up other scholarship offers to take a preferred walk-on slot for Brian Kelly’s Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

“It was such a fast decision that I had to make,” Feist said. “I had the scholarship offer from Air Force and a preferred walk-on offer from Oregon, but when the opportunity to go to Notre Dame came up I just couldn’t pass that up.”

A five-year starter for Wayne Sullivan’s Cavaliers, Feist was a four-time all-Black Hills Conference selection who helped More to a Class 11B runner-up finish last season. He was initially planning on taking the preferred walk-on offer at Oregon but as Notre Dame became more of an option, he rethought his position.

“I hadn’t even really thought of Notre Dame until this November,” Feist said. “Being able to play for the Irish is an incredible opportunity. They’re bringing in 28 guys with this class and to be one of those 28 is just a special feeling.”

A preferred walk-on is treated like a scholarship player but isn’t given any scholarship money. That can change if a player shows himself worthy of a scholarship slot. Current starting linebacker Joe Schmidt is an example of a preferred walk-on who moved his way up the depth chart and into a scholarship.

Feist has family connections to Notre Dame as well, which helped make the decision a little easier. His sister Lauran is a junior at the school and his mother, Suzanne, graduated from Notre Dame Law School in 1992.

“That played a lot into it,” Feist said. “I grew up in a Notre Dame household, I’m familiar with the school, familiar with the tradition and it’s just a great honor to be able to go there.”

Feist will study Management Entrepreneurship at the Mendoza School of Business.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennick44 and Ara64
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT