ADVERTISEMENT

ND Receivers

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
As long as ND gets good quarterback play, their passing game is going to be very, very good, for a long time. Add Jordan Pouncey, Michael Young and a third guy in the 2017 class to the group that is currently on campus, and what you have is a competitive log jam of talent like few others will have. It doesn't hurt that they will also be coached by the finest WR Coach in the nation.

Consider that heading into 2017 ND could very well have...

SR (5th): Torii Hunter (returning starter)
SR: Corey Holmes
JR: Equanimeous St. Brown (returning starter)
JR: CJ Sanders (returning starter)
JR: Chris Finke
JR: Miles Boykin
SOPH: Kevin Stepherson
SOPH: Chase Claypool
SOPH: Javon Mckinley
SOPH: Deon McIntosh
FR: Jordan Pouncey
FR: Michael Young
FR: Avery Davis***

There is soooo much talent and depth in that group for whoever is the starter next year between Kizer, Zaire and Wimbush.

Is there a chance that Robinson returns if helmet technology improves?

Robinson has applied for several major post-grad opportunities away from football. I believe his time as an ND wide receiver is behind him, but don't be surprised if he's a Rhodes Scholar or something similar, in the near future. The future is extremely bright for Corey far beyond football.

Reactions: yogind
WR group is strong no doubt. I think the QB play is super underrated though (makes them look even better than they are).

I don't think ND fans know how good we have it right now with Kizer. What he did as a Frosh last year was pretty remarkable ... now he's stronger, more mature, knows the offense better, etc.

Too bad Fuller didn't return this year ... would have loved his gamebreaking ability on the outside this season. The offense would have been insane.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irish Grandeur
I believe the Irish receivers are off the charts this year. St. Brown, CJ Sanders, Corey Holmes, Stepherson, Hinke and Josh Adams (out of the backfield) and Tori Hunter is far better than last years core. No Will Fuller but far more targets. The Irish will average 40 points a game this year.

*** The Oline is just starting to get it together. And when they do watch out !

Agree 100%.

My concern, assuming Kizer continues to play as well as he has, is his early departure for the NFL.

Agree 100%.

My concern, assuming Kizer continues to play as well as he has, is his early departure for the NFL.
He will leave if a first round pick. If ND plays well and wins he will be a first round pick. Hard to see him staying if he is one of the first two or three QB's off the board. While for selfish reasons I would love for him to come back in 2017 as the team should be at a peak and a strong playoff contender ND should still be okay with Wimbush and possibly Zaire.

I believe the Irish receivers are off the charts this year. St. Brown, CJ Sanders, Corey Holmes, Stepherson, Hinke and Josh Adams (out of the backfield) and Tori Hunter is far better than last years core. No Will Fuller but far more targets. The Irish will average 40 points a game this year.

*** The Oline is just starting to get it together. And when they do watch out !
Gotta disagree that they are better this year over last year.

Fuller, Brown and Carlisle were wily veterans who knew how to get open. The youngsters on this years team are still learning, and they certainly don't have the chemistry with each other or Kizer yet. Kizer himself has expressed a lack of trust in the newbies - albeit a work in progress.

Don't get me wrong - we have loads of talent and upside to the current group of receivers. But to say that, after only two games, they're better than last years group is a bit premature to say the least.

Reactions: greengael

Fuller, Brown and Carlisle were wily veterans who knew how to get open. The youngsters on this years team are still learning, and they certainly don't have the chemistry with each other or Kizer yet. Kizer himself has expressed a lack of trust in the newbies - albeit a work in progress.

Don't get me wrong - we have loads of talent and upside to the current group of receivers. But to say that, after only two games, they're better than last years group is a bit premature to say the least.

Well said. WR inexperience was one of the reasons I thought the Texas game would be a toss-up and why I think the MSU game will be a toss-up. But each game of experience should make them better and better.

It is not the receivers that lost the Texas game. We will have to compare production and clutchness at the end of the year.

*** A bit premature to call last years receivers better.

Go Irish !!
Score 40 ! And wipe the Spartans out !

It is not the receivers that lost the Texas game. We will have to compare production and clutchness at the end of the year.

*** A bit premature to call last years receivers better.

Go Irish !!
Score 40 ! And wipe the Spartans out !

No doubt there, but I think it will be a real climb for the current receiver to equal what we had last year. And I wouldn't say the receivers lost the Texas game, but they had a few drops and were unable to get open when we had a chance to win in regulation and did not get it done.

CJ Sanders is light years ahead of Carlisle as a play maker . St Brown is a better play maker than Brown and that might not even be close . Hunter is no Fuller but he is talented . Stepherson and Claypool are more talented than Corey Robinson .

Chris Brown and Robinson were serviceable college receivers these new kids are young stallions who can all make a play .

With the ball in their hands in space this group is more dangerous than last years group .

Compare StBrowns stats after two career starts to any receiver ND has had in the last five yrs in their first two games .

Last edited:
I think Stepherson becomes the next big deep threat for ND. The kid has some wheels. He will get stronger and faster.

As long as ND gets good quarterback play, their passing game is going to be very, very good, for a long time. Add Jordan Pouncey, Michael Young and a third guy in the 2017 class to the group that is currently on campus, and what you have is a competitive log jam of talent like few others will have. It doesn't hurt that they will also be coached by the finest WR Coach in the nation.

Consider that heading into 2017 ND could very well have...

SR (5th): Torii Hunter (returning starter)
SR: Corey Holmes
JR: Equanimeous St. Brown (returning starter)
JR: CJ Sanders (returning starter)
JR: Chris Finke
JR: Miles Boykin
SOPH: Kevin Stepherson
SOPH: Chase Claypool
SOPH: Javon Mckinley
SOPH: Deon McIntosh
FR: Jordan Pouncey
FR: Michael Young
FR: Avery Davis***

There is soooo much talent and depth in that group for whoever is the starter next year between Kizer, Zaire and Wimbush.
I wish we had these problems on defense. Were getting the talent on offense because they are developing pro's. It seems were wiffing on a lot of defensive prospects and that has to be telling that these kids don't believe they are going to be developed by good coaches.

I wish we had these problems on defense. Were getting the talent on offense because they are developing pro's. It seems were wiffing on a lot of defensive prospects and that has to be telling that these kids don't believe they are going to be developed by good coaches.

your kinda talking out your ass

Sheldon Day K Russell + Jaylon Smith are in the NFL .

ND recruited three 4 star DE's last yr
4 4 star DB's last yr
3 four star LB's this yr
1 4 star DT this yr

Reactions: IrishMike409
your kinda talking out your ass

Sheldon Day K Russell + Jaylon Smith are in the NFL .

ND recruited three 4 star DE's last yr
4 4 star DB's last yr
3 four star LB's this yr
1 4 star DT this yr
No, I'm not talking out of my ass. Here's a link for you. We lack depth which other elite teams have. It's not a secret now that BVG is not that good of a coach. I'm hoping we can just hold on to what we have.

Here, read read up

https://www.18stripes.com/notre-dame-football-defense-recruiting-struggling/

Brady Quinn made stars out of relatively young/unheralded receivers during his last 2 years. I believe Kizer will have a similar impact on how you view our WR corps by the end of the season.

You think that's what it is? We've had lost of defensive players drafted over the last five years.

There's a lot of ".....receivers CAN make big plays" and "...WILL be great" and "...WILL get better". Potential - yes. Productive to date - not really.

Again, not saying they are not talented. But it's only been two games and I think it's a bit too early to anoint any of them as all-world or better than last year's receivers.

They certainly have the ability to be great, they just haven't done it.......yet. We've had a ton of can't-miss prospects over the years. Some panned out, some didn't. I'll hold my gushing on them until they consistently show it on the field.

There's a lot of ".....receivers CAN make big plays" and "...WILL be great" and "...WILL get better". Potential - yes. Productive to date - not really.

Again, not saying they are not talented. But it's only been two games ...

Its tough to measure productivity to date when its only been two games. Considering who they sat behind on the depth chart last year, its tough to criticize them because of their numbers.

Relax. We were all surprised when Fuller and host of others came out of no-where to be stars. By this time next year, you'll be worried about EQSB going pro early or so-and-so transferring because they are buried on the depth chart. WR isn't a position I am losing any sleep over. If someone gets a case of the drops or cannot perform. Next man in.

You think that's what it is? We've had lost of defensive players drafted over the last five years.
No, I don't think it's just we don't have the recruits. I think most of it's coaching, but I do believe the lack of depth hurts us. I do believe that we need to do better with recruiting on the defensive side of the ball, but again I think that's coaching also. These recruits can see how bad our defense is and knows it's coaching and player development. Fact is their number one objective is getting to the NFL, they will go to which ever college gives them the best shot of doing that. But there are teams that only wish they had ND's talent that have better defenses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT