ADVERTISEMENT

ND Opt outs and bowl game expectations

edub72

All Star
Jan 17, 2018
With all of the opt outs, if ND loses bowl game to Oregon St it’s no big deal? This is a big game for Oregon St with new coach, and having the opportunity to play ND in a bowl game.

With all of the opt outs, if ND loses bowl game to Oregon St it’s no big deal? This is a big game for Oregon St with new coach, and having the opportunity to play ND in a bowl game.
Steve Angeli, all the best.

Reactions: Kelso86
Steve Angeli, all the best.
Honestly, I hope Angeli and Minchey both light it up in the bowl game and give Freeman second thoughts about bringing in a one and done transfer.

Honestly, I hope Angeli and Minchey both light it up in the bowl game and give Freeman second thoughts about bringing in a one and done transfer.
Riley will be committed well before that. Probably within the next week

Well then it will suck for him if they do light it up.
No it won't. If he's coming, he's going to start.

I like upside and that's why I wasnt a big fan of Hartman. Riley brings high upside.

It will definitely be Riley with us having 2 new tackles next year. Need a QB that can move and run

Riley is that. This is an easy one.

Reactions: tbone3114

I like upside and that's why I wasnt a big fan of Hartman. Riley brings high upside.

It will definitely be Riley with us having 2 new tackles next year. Need a QB that can move and run

Riley not much better than Hartman. Honestly bringing in Hartman was a wasted year.

Reactions: scubastevefl
Riley not much better than Hartman. Honestly bringing in Hartman was a wasted year.
He has much higher upside. Maybe he will succeed here, maybe he will fail

But he's the kind of guy I have zero problem with taking a chance with, high upside kid.

And with 2 new tackles next year, it's a no brainer with his run ability

Riley might not be as accurate as Sam but everything else he is better. Plus he will be the most dynamic runner at QB since Wimbush.

Reactions: Golson5
Back to the original topic, yes it matters. Losing this game would leave a negative taste all offseason. Overall it seems that we have more opt outs but Oregon State are down to their 3rd string QB and lost their best defender as well I believe.

Reactions: edub72
Back to the original topic, yes it matters. Losing this game would leave a negative taste all offseason. Overall it seems that we have more opt outs but Oregon State are down to their 3rd string QB and lost their best defender as well I believe.
Exhibition game losses. are easily forgotten.

ok Mel Kiper. LOL. So the job is going to be given to him without any competition from Angeli or Minchey? Got it, You are so full of $hit sometimes

We need to win and we should win this game

No excuses
This.....

Oregon will be in worse or just as bad of shape as ND.

Without
HC and OC
Starting RB (similar to estime)
Starting Corner
Starting QB
Talented backup QB
TE
Starting WR

They may have a few more Opt outs as well on Oline like Fuaga

This.....

Without
HC and OC
Starting Corner
Starting QB
Talented backup QB
TE
Starting WR

I think their second string QB is in the portal to

This.....

Without
HC and OC
Starting Corner
Starting QB
Talented backup QB
TE
Starting WR

Oregon State, not Oregon.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelso86
ok Mel Kiper. LOL. So the job is going to be given to him without any competition from Angeli or Minchey? Got it, You are so full of $hit sometimes
He's a one year rental. He's not coming to sit. There might be a "competition" but it's his job if he comes.

The other team has lost their head coach, starting QB and several other players, as well. So neither team will be at full strength. The same thing happened last year, too - both teams were missing players. That's the new paradigm for non-major bowls.

I never said it would be given to him. He will compete like Sam and Coan did and will win the job. He has way more experience and his ability is higher than those other 2.

If he comes here, he's going to start

If anyone ever played sports , whether it was a pick up basketball game or organized football or similar, one thing is always certain. Losing sucks !! I hated losing. It didn’t matter if it was on a team or game in the street. I always wanted to win. The Sun bowl is generally a glorified exhibition game. Still , I bet the players want to win. So in that sense, it is a game that matters. I definitely do not want to see another loss to Oregon State. Hopefully the young players are hungry and determined. Go Irish!!

I never said it would be given to him. He will compete like Sam and Coan did and will win the job. He has way more experience and his ability is higher than those other 2.

If he comes here, he's going to start
He probably would. But not sure his arm is better than Minchey's. Minchey has a strong arm.

Golson is correct. If Riley Leonard chooses Notre Dame, he is the starter at TAM.

No question.

Id say 3+ years yes, but for 2024 no, this game IS important. This game will have an impact on how a lot of people view freeman and the staff despite the unique roster for it.

This game provides momentum into the spring going into 2024.

Look at our Loss to Ok State and how it led into 2022 season. Buchner wasn't good enough to play in the bowl, and he wasn't close to good enough to play in 2022.

This game could impact our 2025 recruiting class as well.

It will not get him fired, it will not make him great either. We need everything we can to ensure 2024 is a great season. This is a part.

In 4 years this game will be a nothing burger because either Freeman will have become awesome and we don't care about these lesser games, or freeman will still have struggled and we'll have a new coach.

Id say 3+ years yes, but for 2024 no, this game IS important. This game will have an impact on how a lot of people view freeman and the staff despite the unique roster for it.

This game provides momentum into the spring going into 2024.

Look at our Loss to Ok State and how it led into 2022 season. Buchner wasn't good enough to play in the bowl, and he wasn't close to good enough to play in 2022.

This game could impact our 2025 recruiting class as well.

It will not get him fired, it will not make him great either. We need everything we can to ensure 2024 is a great season. This is a part.

In 4 years this game will be a nothing burger because either Freeman will have become awesome and we don't care about these lesser games, or freeman will still have struggled and we'll have a new coach.
There is nothing about the Oregon State game that will affect 2025 recruiting.

Reactions: notredamerises23
Look at our schedule. 8-4 9-3 at best. Doesn’t matter who qb is, our program will look exactly the same. Talented and outcoached

So you think Freeman goes into the locker and says .....ok men those cats that are better than you are going to sit out the "exhibition" game, or going somewhere else better, but we can show them they were wrong and we can do this without them.
We can bring home the trophy and just remember men exhibition don't count, and this game will reflect on the record
And on a side note there should be an asterisk of those who willingly didn't participate

Last edited:
So you think Freeman goes into the locker and says .....ok men those cats that are better than you are going to sit out the "exhibition" game, or going somewhere else better, but we can show them they were wrong and we can do this without them.
We can bring home the trophy and just remember men exhibition don't count, and this game will reflect on the record
And on a side note there should be an asterisk of those who willingly didn't participate
This seems like a strange way of looking at things—the entire environment has changed and expectations have changed, and all the other players are aware of what’s at stake for their teammates and by and large, when you look at them interacting with the ones who are sitting out and standing on the sidelines, there seems to be perfect understanding of what’s going on. Actual student athletes don’t seem to have a problem with this because they themselves would do the same thing, if given the opportunity to do so. If they aren’t upset with it, it seems strange that fans who are not on the team are upset, with some fans’ sentiments rooted in traditional expectations rather than the current reality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT