ADVERTISEMENT

ND 1947 (College football's best ever) team celebrates 70th anniversary

Punch61

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2016
On their 70th anniversary, Terry Brennan and the 1947 National Championship football team celebrated.

Terry Brennan walked back out on the football field once more at the North Carolina State game to receive the 70th anniversary honors on behalf of the 1947 Notre Dame national championship football team. The crowd roared its approval. The scrappy Irishman is 90 years young now, and still epitomizes the spirit of the Fighting Irish. Incredibly, he started all four years at halfback for the team. In '47 he led the team in yardage gained from rushing and pass reception, and brought the Notre Dame stadium to a near frenzy with a 97-yard kickoff return during the Army game.

The greatness of the 1947 team cannot be understated. Two million battle hardened soldiers had just returned from WWII on the GI Bill, flooding campuses across the country. It was like every college team in the country had unlimited scholarships, with the government picking up the tab. The talent was often 14 deep for every position. And the returning soldiers were more mature and toughened by their wartime experience. Some had played on championship teams before getting drafted. Some had also played ball on the semi-pro military teams during their years in the service, but still had 2 more years of eligibility left. Clearly, this was the most unique and competitive era in college football history. Notre Dame made history by dominating in this era, winning back to back national championships and sending an astonishing 42 players to the pros from these ’46 and ‘47 teams.

Terry, who started at halfback in 1945 at the tender age of 17, had to overcome significant challenges to hang onto his starting position when the veterans returned. Then he, along with his teammates, had to survive the excruciating workouts of coach Frank Leahy. Leahy was so deep in talent, that he could afford to increase the physicality of the scrimmages and work outs in preparation for the games. If an injury happened, there were plenty of talented players that could fill-in. LIFE magazine, in a feature article on the 1947 team, referred to Notre Dame as having “Seven 1st teams” on the squad. The team featured 10 All Americans, 2 future Heisman and 2 future Outland trophy winners. An amazing seven players from this team were inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame. The list of folks on record arguing the 1947 team ought to be considered the greatest college football team ever fielded include The Boston Herald, as well as legendary sports writers Grantland Rice, Paul “Dr. Z” Zimmerman, and Joe Doyle. Terry Brennan and the 1947 team are the subject of a recently released documentary, The Greatest Team: Notre Dame’s unrivaled 1946-47 football squads. More info on this team and the documentary at GreatestTeam.com

Terry Brennan went on to become head coach of the Notre Dame football team for 4 years after Frank Leahy retired.

Reactions: nemeth#5
leahy and Rockne have been known over the past several decades by various sports beat writers as the two greatest college football coaches of all time. bama coach nick saban may be a close third

I also think it's the 70th anniversary of the great Johnny Lujack's Heisman Trophy. "The Franchise" Johnny Lujack. The greatest athlete to ever wear the unie of Notre Dame.

I also think it's the 70th anniversary of the great Johnny Lujack's Heisman Trophy. "The Franchise" Johnny Lujack. The greatest athlete to ever wear the unie of Notre Dame.
It is the anniversary of Lujack's Heisman trophy, and coincidently, in The Greatest Team: Notre Dame's Unrivaled 1946-47 Football Squads dvd, players interviewed say EXACTLY what you did... that Lujack was the greatest player to put on the uniform. You'd love the documentary.

Now and then, not as much anymore though, I would see Johnny at the warm weather home games. He would sit just a stones throw from me. I am by the student section and I would point out Johnny to them, and give them a brief history lesson on his total athletic and military career during his ND years. I don't know if it ever sunk in, but maybe. IMHO, Gipp and Johnny were two of the greatest all around athletes ever to play for Notre Dame. The Lujack game saving open field tackle of the great Doc Blanchard of Army is one for the ages. Young people. Youtube it. I promise it won't be a waste of time.

Now and then, not as much anymore though, I would see Johnny at the warm weather home games. He would sit just a stones throw from me. I am by the student section and I would point out Johnny to them, and give them a brief history lesson on his total athletic and military career during his ND years. I don't know if it ever sunk in, but maybe. IMHO, Gipp and Johnny were two of the greatest all around athletes ever to play for Notre Dame. The Lujack game saving open field tackle of the great Doc Blanchard of Army is one for the ages. Young people. Youtube it. I promise it won't be a waste of time.

Lujack may have been the greatest player to put on a ND uniform. Just as good at Safety as QB. Put him on the field with fellow HOFs Martin, Hart, Connor, Fischer, Sitko, & Czarobski and voila - the greatest team ever. That's the argument in The Greatest Team documentary. Great footage of Lujack and the others in there.

leahy and Rockne have been known over the past several decades by various sports beat writers as the two greatest college football coaches of all time. bama coach nick saban may be a close third
Bud Wilkinson?

What about John Gagliardi? Top winning pct of all time(.775). In the business 63 years. 489-138-11. Now retired. Coached at D3 power St Johns, Minn. for 59 of those years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT