ADVERTISEMENT

Per ESPN, Notre Dame was willing to pay Ludwig's $2M buyout (which goes directly against the rumors floating around)

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
While Ludwig's buyout of at least $2 million was at the heart of negotiations, and certainly caused some sticker shock this past weekend, Notre Dame sources told ESPN that the Irish communicated they were willing to pay it. By that point, Ludwig had already flown back to Utah and had conversations that influenced his decision to stay there.

I'm surprised there's been no discussion about this since there was a ton of fan outrage about the buyout and Notre Dame not willing to pay for it.

According to Notre Dame though they did say they were willing to pay for the buyout but Ludwig was influenced by conversations back home that ultimately led him to stay in Utah

I'm surprised there's been no discussion about this since there was a ton of fan outrage about the buyout and Notre Dame not willing to pay for it.

According to Notre Dame though they did say they were willing to pay for the buyout but Ludwig was influenced by conversations back home that ultimately led him to stay in Utah
The fans should of chilled a little about this situation on hiring next offensive coordinator until the facts were out . Notre Dame was wrong in not being more discreet about the process . The press is always there and waiting for any story that makes ND look bad so the school should have done a better job of using intermediaries to do the negotiating and the prospects should of been interviewed by zoom and not paraded around campus

None of us here knows, and likely never will know, exactly what happened, and anyone who claims to the contrary is just blowing smoke. We can all read what is flying around on the internet, but at the end of the day, all of that is just rumor, speculation and message board fodder. JS, MF and Ludwig obviously know what really happened, as do the decision makers in the inner circles of the 2 school's respective athletic departments and administrations, but until one of them comes out and talks about what happened, I am not prepared to jump to a conclusion that might not be warranted. There is no question but that the optics don't look good for ND, but there is a huge difference between the amateurish bungling of the PR behind Ludwig's hire and a mishandling of the negotiation itself.

Whatever happened, happened. For now, I am going to turn the page and get behind Parker and Guidugli. I am actually pretty happy about bringing the latter on as the QB coach. He could end up being a great hire.

the prospects should of been interviewed by zoom and not paraded around campus
I suspect that he was on a zoom interview. Twice in my career, I nailed a phone interview, got flown halfway across the country for several face to face interviews, and didn't get hired.

If what’s being reported NOW that ND ponied up the $$$$$ and it was Ludwig’s decision to stay at Utah then I’ll be the first to eat crow and commend the admin for doing all they could.

Reactions: Chitown11
Everyone would rather throw their feces in outrage over these rumors on these message boards because it gives their life a little more excitement and meaning. Unfortunately that is everyone’s belief now, so when you point out that ND did everything to bring in Ludwig and he turned it down, they act like adult children of alcoholics.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, so it was just like that, huh?
Well the notion that all the ND writers out there were saying is “He was on campus, that means it was a done deal” and blowing the hockey game up as if it meant Ludwig had signed the dotted line is completely full of crap and they made all that hysteria up. Journalistic malfeasance if you ask me.

Well the notion that all the ND writers out there were saying is “He was on campus, that means it was a done deal” and blowing the hockey game up as if it meant Ludwig had signed the dotted line is completely full of crap and they made all that hysteria up. Journalistic malfeasance if you ask me.
Starting to appear that way. Has Ludwig made any public comments about it ?

I suspect that he was on a zoom interview. Twice in my career, I nailed a phone interview, got flown halfway across the country for several face to face interviews, and didn't get hired.

That sucks. I know it can happen, but it still sucks.

A few points here:

1. When Tommy Rees was OC, many posters here, probably the majority, criticized almost everything he did. There was a pronounced dislike for almost everything about his offensive game plans.

2. When Alabama took Rees to be its OC, it was the ultimate irony. While many posters here berated Rees constantly, probably the premier HC in the game thought he was good enough to coach for the Tide.

3. I follow CFB pretty closely, and I had only heard, in passing, about some of the guys whose names were bandied about for OC. My guess is that few other posters knew much about them either, until the names were connected to ND. All of the sudden, some of the posters here became instant experts on the qualifications of these guys.

4. Parker and Guidugli are coming to ND now, so you may as well get on board with them. Complaining that ND could have or should have hired someone else accomplishes nothing.

I don't know. Do you know that it wasn't?
Nope! You got me, I wasn't in the room. I guess that's all you need. I don't think anyone trying to make sense of this would think for a minute, if they had something riding on it, and they couldn't get away with just believing what they want to believe for once... that ND was a perfectly good-faith actor, they did everything right, and even regaled the dude with a front row seat at the hockey game.... and old man Ludwig just changed his mind and said you've been great ND, just the same it's thanks but no thanks.

Nobody would think something like that if there was money on the line. But there's always that sliver of doubt, right?

ND was a perfectly good-faith actor, they did everything right, and even regaled the dude with a front row seat at the hockey game.... and old man Ludwig just changed his mind and said you've been great ND, just the same it's thanks but no thanks.
Just wondering why you seemed mad at what I said. But sure, he could have done that. In fact that helps make my point, which isn't about who turned down whom.

My point that things can go great in Zoom calls or whatever, to the point that everyone has talked about money and it looks like it's pretty much a done deal, and then when they meet face to face somebody doesn't like something about somebody and everyone goes home.

Just wondering why you seemed mad at what I said. But sure, he could have done that. In fact that helps make my point, which isn't about who turned down whom.

My point that things can go great in Zoom calls or whatever, to the point that everyone has talked about money and it looks like it's pretty much a done deal, and then when they meet face to face somebody doesn't like something about somebody and everyone goes home.
Oh yeah, I was clearly nasty, and angry, at your trite apologias for ND's latest institutional folly overseeing the football program. Sorry about that...

Right, and that's almost certainly what happened. When ND balked on the buyout, and suddenly lowballed him as they were getting down to dollars and cents, that's when Ludwig decided to go home. So, good call....

Oh yeah, I was clearly nasty, and angry, at your trite apologias for ND's latest institutional folly overseeing the football program. Sorry about that...

Right, and that's almost certainly what happened. When ND balked on the buyout, and suddenly lowballed him as they were getting down to dollars and cents, that's when Ludwig decided to go home. So, good call....
It's beginning to appear that money wasn't an obstacle at all. Some folks believe everything in the National Enquirer too.

A few points here:

1. When Tommy Rees was OC, many posters here, probably the majority, criticized almost everything he did. There was a pronounced dislike for almost everything about his offensive game plans.

2. When Alabama took Rees to be its OC, it was the ultimate irony. While many posters here berated Rees constantly, probably the premier HC in the game thought he was good enough to coach for the Tide.

3. I follow CFB pretty closely, and I had only heard, in passing, about some of the guys whose names were bandied about for OC. My guess is that few other posters knew much about them either, until the names were connected to ND. All of the sudden, some of the posters here became instant experts on the qualifications of these guys.

4. Parker and Guidugli are coming to ND now, so you may as well get on board with them. Complaining that ND could have or should have hired someone else accomplishes nothing.

Exactly!

While I used to follow CFB pretty avidly, I don't anymore, so the names on the lists that I saw were mostly foreign to me. I had never heard of Andy Ludwig before he was announced as a candidate for the ND job, even though I have watched Utah play probably a half dozen times over the past 3-4 years.

And I agree with your observations about TR. I had my reservations about TR's recruiting abilities, but I always (or at least mostly) liked him as a play caller. It will be interesting to see how he does at Bama.

I think it is the nature of message boards that many posters come here mostly to complain, if not about the team, then about some other poster. (And there is a lot of that here.) Perhaps that is just human nature. But I hope this board doesn't go the route of the ND Nation board. It seems like the guys who regularly post there just try to outdo each other for the most clever and witty gripe about the head coach, the AD, the OC or DC, or whoever else happens to be the target du jour.

Life is too short to spend it fulminating over your college football team. Enjoy it or find another hobby.

The sad thing here is that the failure of the admin office to identify the correct buyout is the root cause of the entire issue.

And we will never know if it's addressed.

It's beginning to appear that money wasn't an obstacle at all. Some folks believe everything in the National Enquirer too.
So I'm the sucker. I knew it. After all, it's coming out in the media, 24 hours after all the damage was done, that it wasn't about the money at all. Just plain old cold feet. And ESPN got it straight from the ND SID, that's the horse's mouth itself. Why wouldn't anyone believe that shit?

The sad thing here is that the failure of the admin office to identify the correct buyout is the root cause of the entire issue.

And we will never know if it's addressed.
Just maybe they did not care about some idiot fans

Oh, I see. You're mad because you have drunk the Kool-Aid, and because you're a very bitter man. Not much more to say to one another then, at least until you come down.

Last edited:
It's being "reported by sources..." so it must be true.

Just like the article here.

Bug surprise….most lunatics will choose to believe whatever they want to personally think is “true” rather than being level headed and acknowledge that either scenario is possible.

The rumors emanate from the same half dozen yahoos who complain on both sides of every argument…and then the unread public jumps in

So I'm the sucker. I knew it. After all, it's coming out in the media, 24 hours after all the damage was done, that it wasn't about the money at all. Just plain old cold feet. And ESPN got it straight from the ND SID, that's the horse's mouth itself. Why wouldn't anyone believe that shit?
You believe the WH, so there is that

Oh, I see. You're mad because you have drunk the Kool-Aid, and because you're a very bitter man. Not much more to say to one another then, at least until you come down.
I'm not bitter. I'm bitter about BK, and the horrible treatment from ND's awful hater fanbase. That much is true. You're a damn troll, so there's that as well. Or at least's that how I'm choosing to consider you, knowing it's possible it might not be true.

But thanks for instructing me how I'm mad because I've drunk the kool-aid. That was very edifying....

I'm not bitter. I'm bitter about BK, and the horrible treatment from ND's awful hater fanbase.
But you're not bitter about the horrible treatment of the ND administration by ND's awful hater fanbase in this matter. Makes sense, because you're one of the awful hater fanbase that's treating the administration horribly.
That much is true. You're a damn troll, so there's that as well.
It isn't my intent to make people mad, but you seem to get mad at me for doing nothing more than saying what I think.
Or at least's that how I'm choosing to consider you, knowing it's possible it might not be true.
Well. Now we're getting somewhere.
But thanks for instructing me how I'm mad because I've drunk the kool-aid. That was very edifying....
Well, "mad" is how I'm choosing to consider you, knowing it's possible it might not be true.

[troll] But you've still drunk the Kool-Aid. [/troll]

Why you even respond to that poster baffles me.
Oh, STFU. I liked it better when everybody mocked you relentlessly on the pay board. And you even got banned for being so obviously provocative, only here just to be a creep, and push people's buttons with your terminally smirky remarks. And you haven't changed a whit. I guess you know better than to address me directly, but you're still desperate to get in on the action...

Like I said, this coaching fiasco is a great day for a troll like you.

But you're not bitter about the horrible treatment of the ND administration by ND's awful hater fanbase in this matter. Makes sense, because you're one of the awful hater fanbase that's treating the administration horribly.

It isn't my intent to make people mad, but you seem to get mad at me for doing nothing more than saying what I think.

Well. Now we're getting somewhere.

Well, "mad" is how I'm choosing to consider you, knowing it's possible it might not be true.

[troll]But you've still drunk the Kool-Aid.[/troll]
I thought you said you were done. I guess you didn't really mean that. In fact I get the whole deluxe multiple-quote treatment. Thank you......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT