ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA will drop the transfer rule

NDinNJ

I've posted how many times?
Nov 23, 2018
Attorneys have also had their hand in ruining college athletics.
Change does not equal ruin.

Coaches and ADs can change schools with no penalty, so why not players?

Reactions: echowaker

Agreed. These overly dramatic reactions are silly to me. The courts have ruled. Long overdue. It's an easy solution for those so troubled by the current landscape of collegiate athletics.

Reactions: Kelso86
Attorneys have also had their hand in ruining college athletics.
Didn't they already drop those rules awhile back? There have been players bouncing around all over already. Louisville had 3 players who transferred to them in January, spent the spring there, then transferred out again after the spring. And then there was that Alabama OT who left for Iowa this spring, then went back to Bama again later.

Didn't they already drop those rules awhile back? There have been players bouncing around all over already. Louisville had 3 players who transferred to them in January, spent the spring there, then transferred out again after the spring. And then there was that Alabama OT who left for Iowa this spring, then went back to Bama again later.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Isn't that what the transfer portal is?

Because credits don't always transfer; because majors don't always exist; because...oh, never mind....these are academic issues and they are pretty much meaningless in the ever-increasing professionalism of "college" football.

Let's see: 1) Compensation? Pro and college...2) Free agency? Pro and ESPECIALLY college...3) Player draft? Pro and soon-to-be college (just wait)...4) Players' union? Pro and soon-to-be college (it's in progress)...5) Income tax liability? Pro and soon-to-be college....

Why not just turn this into the South Bend Fighting Irish versus the Ann Arbor Wolverines? No academic requirements, use the university's facilities and just end the hypocrisy?

All transfers should have to sit out a year, unless their head coach leaves, then they can transfer with no penalty.

Reactions: tbonesays
Still a terrible decision
What other option did they have ? Zero chance of winning the potential lawsuit and the damages that may have gone with it likely would have been quite costly. The handwriting was on the wall.

And coaches can dress up as other teams’ coaches, video the signals of upcoming opponents, and bring back to the HC …with no penalty…

Nope! The Big Ten issued suspensions! Penalties for the C.S. misdeeds have been paid.

Last edited:
Just go back to students playing other students! No scholarships.

NCAA had instituted a rule whereby if a student transfers a 2nd time they would have had to sit a year exceptions were rigid. Lawsuits were filed and the NCAA caved. Here was the initial rule on 2nd time transfers.

Reactions: HDK
For example, Kadyn Proctor filed to return to Alabama on April 16th, after spending the spring semester at Iowa, after playing for Bama last year. That was a month and a half before this announcement. He wasn't transferring to sit out a year. Maybe he knew the rule was going to be changed before the season, then.

For example, Kadyn Proctor filed to return to Alabama on April 16th, after spending the spring semester at Iowa, after playing for Bama last year. That was a month and a half before this announcement. He wasn't transferring to sit out a year. Maybe he knew the rule was going to be changed before the season, then.
A federal judge temporarily suspended the rule, but now the rule has been permanently dropped.

That was in December; that must've been what I was remembering. I knew there were already players double transferring this Spring.
They probably expected to get waiver for any old reason, with or without a favorable court ruling.

I am somewhat surprised this attitude prevails in the era of blatant poaching players from smaller schools with NIL money. Another reason why bad federal regulation is preferable to no regulation at all.

Not so fast my friend !

Coaches are under contract and if they leave early, there’s usually a penalty associated with early termination.

No such penalty exist for the players

There is no penalty when players leave because there is no contract between players and their teams. Even scholarships are only year to year.

Reactions: Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT