ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA limit of 85

The good news is that you've already outed yourself and a moron with no football knowledge whatsoever

So no one needs to worry about your opinion!
from the guy that doesn't want a RB that averages 10ypc and a TD every 6 carries.

High ankle sprains are awfule, believe me i know. But this spring game looked like the field was made of quick sand when he was running. I want to believe the hype the coaches keep putting on him, and the talk of him reducing body fat had me extremely excited to see him during the spring game. Then he got the ball, and it was the same tony jones that is just slow without moves.

I think Jones is just a different type of back than what you want from him.
He’s the guy in basketball who plays defense, sets screens, gets rebounds, passes well & hits his free throws. I think you want the guy who puts up 30 points & not much else?
Thant’s who Dex is. Unfortunately Dex cant help ND right now.
Jones might not bust a 20 yard run, but he will pick up the blitzer which allows for the 20 yard pass. This year I think realistically they just want him getting 4 yards every time he runs. If you listen to the podcast they talk about this. It’s a really cool story. Back in ‘92 when Brooks had a record-breaking year at ND he talks about how he was coached. He said he had one mindset the coaches demanded from him: get 4 yards no matter what. After you get 4 yards you can do whatever you want, it’s all you, but not until you get the 4. This mindset takes away always trying for the home run. That is what ND asks from Jones.

from the guy that doesn't want a RB that averages 10ypc and a TD every 6 carries.

I can see why you'd keep trying to go with this made up narrative, instead of responding to my actual post.

Tell me more about how your illiteracy stops you from understanding the word "Efficient" and causes you to randomly change your argument and make stuff up.

It's been a rough thread for you little buddy. I'm not sure I've ever seen someone get abused quite as badly as you have ITT

He’s the guy in basketball who plays defense, sets screens, gets rebounds, passes well & hits his free throws. I think you want the guy who puts up 30 points & not much else?
Jones might not bust a 20 yard run, but he will pick up the blitzer which allows for the 20 yard pass. This year I think realistically they just want him getting 4 yards every time he runs. If you listen to the podcast they talk about this. It’s a really cool story. Back in ‘92 when Brooks had a record-breaking year at ND he talks about how he was coached. He said he had one mindset the coaches demanded from him: get 4 yards no matter what. After you get 4 yards you can do whatever you want, it’s all you, but not until you get the 4. This mindset takes away always trying for the home run. That is what ND asks from Jones.

If Jones can get 4+ yards nearly every touch, catch the ball out of the backfield, and pick up pass-rushers...we'll improve at RB, despite losing Adams.

It would be IDEAL if we could get that out of Jones and still have Williams to rotate in, to try for some homeruns as well, during the 2nd and 4th quarters...after an efficient run game has been wearing down the opponent

Hopefully Williams FINALLY wakes up and brings that to the table

I don't have a man crush on Dex. I just think he and maybe Armstrong are our only threats back there. I want a RB to do all the little things as well as be a threat running the football. ND doesn't need a heisman winner at RB, but having a RB do the little things plus be a threat running the football is not too much to ask. Give me a Theo, or Cierre, or Jonas Gray and I would be ecstatic.

I don't have a man crush on Dex. I just think he and maybe Armstrong are our only threats back there. I want a RB to do all the little things as well as be a threat running the football. ND doesn't need a heisman winner at RB, but having a RB do the little things plus be a threat running the football is not too much to ask. Give me a Theo, or Cierre, or Jonas Gray and I would be ecstatic.

That’s the problem with Dex so far, he not only doesn’t do the little things, he doesn’t do the required minimum. I think Armstrong has the chance to seize the opportunity while Dex is watching the first 4.

I can see why you'd keep trying to go with this made up narrative, instead of responding to my actual post.

Tell me more about how your illiteracy stops you from understanding the word "Efficient" and causes you to randomly change your argument and make stuff up.

It's been a rough thread for you little buddy. I'm not sure I've ever seen someone get abused quite as badly as you have ITT
The definition of efficient is achieving maximum productivity with minimum effort. I'm curious as to what your made up definition is?

10YPC, TD every 6 carries. Pretty darn efficient from every angle. Productivity in yards, ypc, and TDS. Need to score more than your opponents.

I would prefer 60 yard TDs on every carry, but lets not get too carried away.

That’s the problem with Dex so far, he not only doesn’t do the little things, he doesn’t do the required minimum. I think Armstrong has the chance to seize the opportunity while Dex is watching the first 4.
That's what we've heard with Dex. But if so, why was he getting any carries? As a coach, if you're not practicing or doing what I ask, you don't play, period!

I can only take you for what you say. I can't see your body language and antics, sitting behind your computer playing warcraft, eating hot pockets, calling for mom to bring you a tray because you got to go to the BAF ROOM.

Reactions: zonairish
The definition of efficient is achieving maximum productivity with minimum effort. I'm curious as to what your made up definition is?

10YPC, TD every 6 carries. Pretty darn efficient from every angle. Productivity in yards, ypc, and TDS. Need to score more than your opponents.

I would prefer 60 yard TDs on every carry, but lets not get too carried away.

That is not the definition of efficient, as it applies to football.

The definition of "efficient" is, consistently maximizing the production that's available on each play...not leaving any "regularly available production" on the table

This is why your stats based analysis of efficiency is ineffective and childish....it's FAR too dominated by a few gaudy plays and doesn't account for RBs that are constantly leaving "regularly available production" on the table

I've already told you that this is how COACHES, SCOUTS, and ANALYSTS all grade efficiency for an RB....which they do because it's what matters.

I've further explained how this is typically graded, mechanically.

A run is "Efficient" if it meets 1 of these criteria:
- 4+ Yards
- Results in a 1st Down
- Results in a TD
Then the "Efficiency" of the RB is just the % of his runs that are graded as efficient

This is really, really simply stuff....which is why I'm sure it's still going over your head

This is why idiots like you should just sit quietly in the corner

I can only take you for what you say. I can't see your body language and antics, sitting behind your computer playing warcraft, eating hot pockets, calling for mom to bring you a tray because you got to go to the BAF ROOM.

You're apparently terrified to take me at what I say, because you refuse to my post where I explained what efficiency is...and called you out for going from "Who is Efficient?" to "You wouldn't want that RB?"

Being a homerun hitting pumps up your stats, but it isn't efficient.

If you're not an efficient RB, and a team realigns to prevent you from hitting any homeruns...then you become a liability to your team.

This is why most coaches prefer an efficient RB to a homerun hitter
(though ideally the same RB is both)

That's what we've heard with Dex. But if so, why was he getting any carries? As a coach, if you're not practicing or doing what I ask, you don't play, period!

That’s what happened on the Georgia game & peope lost their minds over it. Kelly didn’t want to throw Dex Under the bus, but in reality they didn’t trust Dex to handle Georgia’s complex defense.
But they tried to get him carries in games throughout the season to keep him engaged. They want him to succeed. So they are trying to give him chances. But a telling sign is him not even being one of the 10+ names mentioned as possible team captain, as a Senior who has played every year. I don’t think his teammates respect him either.

That is not the definition of efficient, as it applies to football.

The definition of "efficient" is, consistently maximizing the production that's available on each play...not leaving any "regularly available production" on the table

This is why your stats based analysis of efficiency is ineffective and childish....it's FAR too dominated by a few gaudy plays and doesn't account for RBs that are constantly leaving "regularly available production" on the table

I've already told you that this is how COACHES, SCOUTS, and ANALYSTS all grade efficiency for an RB....which they do because it's what matters.

I've further explained how this is typically graded, mechanically.

A run is "Efficient" if it meets 1 of these criteria:
- 4+ Yards
- Results in a 1st Down
- Results in a TD
Then the "Efficiency" of the RB is just the % of his runs that are graded as efficient

This is really, really simply stuff....which is why I'm sure it's still going over your head

This is why idiots like you should just sit quietly in the corner
Good thing you weren't analyzing every great RB to ever play in college or the NFL. Lets look at the #2 draft pick that is known for negative runs, and short gains, but hits major explosive major plays every 5-10 touches. Scouts must have got that all wrong, what idiot took him as the number 2 pick.

You can coach a player to be more efficient by your definition, you can't coach him to have more talent. Good thing talent doesn't win games, coaches do.

UPDATE:

Ashton White has graduated from ND (congrats) & is now transferring to Buffalo.

He didn’t play much last year but REALLY wanted to graduate from Notre Dame so stuck it out & got his ND degree.

Good luck & great job Ashton in accomplishing your goal.

Reactions: Telx1
That’s what happened on the Georgia game & peope lost their minds over it. Kelly didn’t want to throw Dex Under the bus, but in reality they didn’t trust Dex to handle Georgia’s complex defense.
But they tried to get him carries in games throughout the season to keep him engaged. They want him to succeed. So they are trying to give him chances. But a telling sign is him not even being one of the 10+ names mentioned as possible team captain, as a Senior who has played every year. I don’t think his teammates respect him either.
I'm with you, just strongly disagree with giving carries to keep someone engaged if they aren't putting in the work or effort.

Reactions: echowaker
Good thing you weren't analyzing every great RB to ever play in college or the NFL. Lets look at the #2 draft pick that is known for negative runs, and short gains, but hits major explosive major plays every 5-10 touches. Scouts must have got that all wrong, what idiot took him as the number 2 pick.

You can coach a player to be more efficient by your definition, you can't coach him to have more talent. Good thing talent doesn't win games, coaches do.

Jesus....do you ever stop trying to shift the goal-posts?
  • Me: "Tony Jones was the MOST EFFICIENT RB on the team in 2016
  • You: "Nuh-uh, look at the YPC stats!"
  • Me: That's not how you grade the efficiency of an RB. Based on the things Coaches, Scouts, and Analysts use to grade RBs, Jones was the most efficient"
  • You: "You don't want an RB that hits homeruns on literally every play?"
  • Me: "That's not wha I said. I said that an RB who only hits homeruns is not very efficient, and can be a liability to the team if a defense shifts to prevent the homeruns"
  • You: "I hate you, your mean, stop bullying me!!"
You need to accept the fact that you clearly known nothing about the topic being discussed and should just sit quietly in the corner and listen!

UPDATE:

Ashton White has graduated from ND (congrats) & is now transferring to Buffalo.

He didn’t play much last year but REALLY wanted to graduate from Notre Dame so stuck it out & got his ND degree.

Good luck & great job Ashton in accomplishing your goal.
Kevarie Russell also graduated.

Not sure why all the effort back and forth about Jones, and trying to quantify/qualify his performance last year. My view is we don’t have a large enough sample with meaningful snaps to know what to expect from him this year. We do know he was the breakout sensation of Spring before last season. We do know he catches the football damn near effortlessly when warming up. We do know he played sparingly last year due to nagging injuries. With the small sample, we saw some pretty pedestrian runs that produced little during most the season, and my “impression or recollection” is that we saw some hard elusive between the tackles running towards the end of the schedule. He’s a year older, presumably stronger and more explosive, and he will start the season as our number 1 running back, whether Dexter is playing or not. We’ll find out soon enough whether he is going to be a major asset.

Not sure why all the effort back and forth about Jones, and trying to quantify/qualify his performance last year. My view is we don’t have a large enough sample with meaningful snaps to know what to expect from him this year. We do know he was the breakout sensation of Spring before last season. We do know he catches the football damn near effortlessly when warming up. We do know he played sparingly last year due to nagging injuries. With the small sample, we saw some pretty pedestrian runs that produced little during most the season, and my “impression or recollection” is that we saw some hard elusive between the tackles running towards the end of the schedule. He’s a year older, presumably stronger and more explosive, and he will start the season as our number 1 running back, whether Dexter is playing or not. We’ll find out soon enough whether he is going to be a major asset.
yep. the sample size for each of them is pretty small. i think davis shocks everyone.

It is not about Jones anymore, it is about control and imposing will.

Reactions: Get Nasty
yep, either way we need depth and more talent. Davis showed some potential, but armstrong looked like he could be a CJ procise type player. I think we would all love for that (minus the durability issues).

Reactions: Telx1
It is not about Jones anymore, it is about control and imposing will.
marvel-avengers-infinity-war-thanos-sixth-scale-figure-hot-toys-feature-903429-1.jpg

Get,

Why even bother responding to this troll. We all know he lives in his mom's basement. He nit-pics at everyone's statements. And says I am right and you are an f-ing-moron because because you do not see it my way. He writes novels thinking the more you write the more people will worship him or he thinks he is getting paid by the word. then he gives you definitions right out of an economics book and says you idiot don't you see. He is just wile-e coyote super-genius. while the road runner gets away and he blows himself up.

Get,

Why even bother responding to this troll. We all know he lives in his mom's basement. He nit-pics at everyone's statements. And says I am right and you are an f-ing-moron because because you do not see it my way. He writes novels thinking the more you write the more people will worship him or he thinks he is getting paid by the word. then he gives you definitions right out of an economics book and says you idiot don't you see. He is just wile-e coyote super-genius. while the road runner gets away and he blows himself up.

I’m watching cartoons with my 2 year old & they are way less violent than the good old road runner cartoons.

I’m watching cartoons with my 2 year old & they are way less violent than the good old road runner cartoons.

I miss those WB cartoons. they were definitely slap stick. Kind of why I liked the animaniacs and pinky and the brain.

Get,

It's tough not to respond and stick up for others when someone is just so awful and opinionated when facts can actually disprove their opinion. I have been very good at not responding to him(until yesterday), will go back to that mentality from now on. I enjoy debating different opinions, key word debating. There's no debating with him, despite facts proving his opinions otherwise.

Reactions: zonairish
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT