ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA limit of 85

Adams had way way too many short runs though. He was very feast or famine, especially with the line we had.
This, Adams cost us big in games vs Georgia and Stanford. So many missed short yardage runs because of his hesitation and slow burst. Amazing once he got going, just took too long.

Reactions: NDIRISH53
If being told that a stupid opinion is, in fact, stupid seems like bullying to you.....I suggest you run along to your nearest Safe Space or Cry Closet

I'll call them like I see them.

If someone has an opinion that I disagree with, but it's well sourced, well thoughtout, and well explained...I'll respectfully disagree with it.

If someone spouts off on a topic they clearly don't understand, like an idiot, I'll have a laugh at their expense.

If you need someone to hold your hand and tell you that all opinions are good opinions....I'd suggest finding your nearest baby-sitter or kindergarten teacher
Please ignore this person, he still wears velcro shoes and lives in his parents basement .

Are you just dumb or don’t want to look at stats? jones wasn’t the most efficient RB last year he was the LEAST LEAST efficient RB, Ian book was better. Jones had lowest YPC of anyone on team with more than 10 caries.

People, please ignore Friedman for your own sanity. He spews awful opinions as facts and couldn’t be more wrong but won’t admit it when proven so.

Get, he is a dope. I think he thinks he gets paid by the word. that said I wonder if Notredomer1 is referring to Friedman in his post on chose not to renew

This, Adams cost us big in games vs Georgia and Stanford. So many missed short yardage runs because of his hesitation and slow burst. Amazing once he got going, just took too long.
It feels like ever since the 33 trucking stuff came about his play dipped massively. That's most likely a coincidence seeing as defenses started loading the box, but I do have my thoughts about that. Also hated the fact that he would take himself out nearly every game. You HAVE to play hurt as a running back.

It feels like ever since the 33 trucking stuff came about his play dipped massively. That's most likely a coincidence seeing as defenses started loading the box, but I do have my thoughts about that. Also hated the fact that he would take himself out nearly every game. You HAVE to play hurt as a running back.
Yep I’ll say it. I was floored how he always took himself out yet had the pre season speech about always going the extra mile and giving more cause his mom worked two jobs blah blah. I like Adams, wish we had him, but that’s only because the cupboard is empty.

Are you just dumb or don’t want to look at stats? jones wasn’t the most efficient RB last year he was the LEAST LEAST efficient RB, Ian book was better. Jones had lowest YPC of anyone on team with more than 10 caries.

People, please ignore Friedman for your own sanity. He spews awful opinions as facts and couldn’t be more wrong but won’t admit it when proven so.
and it was still over 5 yards per carry. judging efficiency strictly by YPC is stupid.

pretty judgmental no ? did you play the position ?

and it was still over 5 yards per carry. judging efficiency strictly by YPC is stupid.
efficieny ratings is done by total yards gained, yard per attempt, TDs, targets, and opponent strength. Jones was 6th in yards gained, 6th in YPC, 5th in TDs, he averaged 2 yards per reception..............Reminder, these are rankings on NDs team last year, not nationally. That is what i would call inefficient, not good, bad stats, cause for concern, etc.

more of the same nonsense i see.
Either the O-line was awful against Georgia, Stanford, LSU, and Miami (They weren't), or adams was. I will say play calling and wimbush decision making at times left a lot to be desired, but adams missed multiple huge short yardage opportunities to extend drives in those games (miami we never would have won). Many reasons why he wasn't even drafted yet rushed for 1500 yards and averaged 7 YPC. The O line had 2 players drafted in the top 10, and others will be drafted to the NFL in the next year or two from that line. The line wasn't the problem. Wimbush, Adams, and Long were. I don't by any means put all the blame on adams, but he was part of the problem in those games.

Reactions: zonairish
You don't have to play hurt as a RB, you play hurt in all sports, as long as you aren't INJURED you play. Adams, needing mental and physical breaks and not having "it" per kelly was a joke. He had 200 carries in 13 games, that's not a crazy amount.

The 45-55 second, "you can count on me in the fourth quarter" NOPE, "I'm going to run over someone for the first down" NOPE "There's no easy way out, i'm not taking the easy way out" NOPE, you took the easy way out multiple times..... Tough to watch then see the softness displayed by him this past season

Please ignore this person, he still wears velcro shoes and lives in his parents basement .
Alas, velcro shoes are like diapers. We wear them at the very beginning of life, then again at the very end.

So...getting back to the title....what is the current number? 87? More?

ND is at 87 in early May. Which is actually below average. They will probably be at 83-84 when fall camp starts, & giving at least one walk-on a schollarship.

You literally have no idea what "efficiency" actually means for an RB, do you?
Spoiler: It has a specific meaning to coaches, scouts, and analysts.

Typically, when grading a player an "Efficient Run" is considered to be:
- Run of 4+ Yards
- Run resulting in a 1st Down
- Run resulting in a TD
The actual "efficiency" of an RB is how often they hit these metrics (60%+ is "Efficient")

Simply putting up a large YPC does not make an RB efficient, especially if that YPC is includes a ton of "inefficient runs" that are being negated (statistically) by long runs
(this is EXACTLY what happened with Adams)

Please, please, please no one listen to @Get Nasty , he's an idiot who has no idea what he's talking about!!

Reactions: mirer03

Typically, an "Efficient Run" is:
- Run of 4+ Yards
- Run resulting in a TD
The actual "efficiency" of an RB is how often they hit these metrics (60%+ is "Efficient")

Simply putting up a large YPC does not make an RB efficient, especially if that YPC is includes a ton of "inefficient runs" that are being negated (statistically) by long runs

Please, please, please no one listen to @Get Nasty , he's an idiot who has no idea what he's talking about!!

Wow, you need 1:1 psychological counseling.

Reactions: Get Nasty
Huh? We threw the ball with great results?
I know we had difficulties down the stretch with accuracy in the passing game. My "great results" comment was directed more to the fact that we won 10 games moreso than individual passing statistics.

Wow, you need 1:1 psychological counseling.

Let me know when you're prepared to actually talk football.

You "football related" comments have made it clear that you're far to stupid to have your opinions on anything else taken serously

Okay....I have heard about one who should be leaving already so we will get there

I actually think there are two already who won’t be around when fall starts. And that’s without discipline, academics or injuries that will still most likely happen.

Yes I am pretty judgmental of that. You have to play hurt as a running back. I am especially judgmental after watching Bryce love run for well over 100 yards on a high ankle sprain. I played with a broken hand and ribs from an accident in high school and never missed one game as a linebacker. I know that's not high level college football, but I would never take myself out of the game. Didn't you play for Michigan State? I'm sure you were often hurt

Reactions: Get Nasty

Typically, when grading a player an "Efficient Run" is considered to be:
- Run of 4+ Yards
- Run resulting in a TD

I'll repost the below from earlier today since you don't like to live in a world of facts. This is not my opinion, this is how RB efficiency is rated.

"efficieny ratings is done by total yards gained, yard per attempt, TDs, targets, and opponent strength. Jones was 6th in yards gained, 6th in YPC, 5th in TDs, he averaged 2 yards per reception..............Reminder, these are rankings on NDs team last year, not nationally. That is what i would call inefficient, not good, bad stats, cause for concern, etc."

But hey, lets get back to talking football with friedman... Spoiler - won't happen since Friedman likes to employ the small man syndrome on every topic. It must be tough being Danny DeVito when the rest of the world is Arnold.

I honestly feel bad, because it seems like i'm bashing Jones. I really want him to succeed because I know with poor recruiting he is needed this year. I'm slightly hopeful armstrong comes along fast and this dex crap isn't as bad as it sounds.

I'll be rooting for Jones as hard as everyone else because if dex is out we don't have anything else. But in the back of my mind will be "what if" we had some other talent at RB. If jones has a good year, that's a great great sign for the o-line, passing game, and ND having leads.

I'll repost the below from earlier today since you don't like to live in a world of facts. This is not my opinion, this is how RB efficiency is rated.

"efficieny ratings is done by total yards gained, yard per attempt, TDs, targets, and opponent strength. Jones was 6th in yards gained, 6th in YPC, 5th in TDs, he averaged 2 yards per reception..............Reminder, these are rankings on NDs team last year, not nationally. That is what i would call inefficient, not good, bad stats, cause for concern, etc."

But hey, lets get back to talking football with friedman... Spoiler - won't happen since Friedman likes to employ the small man syndrome on every topic. It must be tough being Danny DeVito when the rest of the world is Arnold.

That might some random "Efficiency Stat" that ESPN or some oneline publisher uses....but its not how coaches, scouts, or analysts grade out efificency.

I already posted for you how efficiency is actually grade by most folks (everyone has minor variations though)

Based on the BS you posted 5 consecutive runs for NO GAIN followed by a 60 Yard TD run against a solid opponent would be HIGHLY...since that RB would have average 10 YPC, gain 60 Yards, and scored a TD on every 6th touch

But to everyone with a brain, it's obvious that RB is the opposite of efficient and consistent

This is why people like you shouldn't talk.
People like you should sit quietly in the corner and listen....because you're stupid and have no idea what you're talking about

I honestly feel bad, because it seems like i'm bashing Jones. I really want him to succeed because I know with poor recruiting he is needed this year. I'm slightly hopeful armstrong comes along fast and this dex crap isn't as bad as it sounds.

I'll be rooting for Jones as hard as everyone else because if dex is out we don't have anything else. But in the back of my mind will be "what if" we had some other talent at RB. If jones has a good year, that's a great great sign for the o-line, passing game, and ND having leads.

Just to be clear, if Jones has a good year it’s because of the OL, passing game & leads? Not because Jones was good?

You don't have to play hurt as a RB, you play hurt in all sports, as long as you aren't INJURED you play. Adams, needing mental and physical breaks and not having "it" per kelly was a joke. He had 200 carries in 13 games, that's not a crazy amount.

The 45-55 second, "you can count on me in the fourth quarter" NOPE, "I'm going to run over someone for the first down" NOPE "There's no easy way out, i'm not taking the easy way out" NOPE, you took the easy way out multiple times..... Tough to watch then see the softness displayed by him this past season
So you're questioning the toughness of one of nd's best players last year. sad.

Yes I am pretty judgmental of that. You have to play hurt as a running back. I am especially judgmental after watching Bryce love run for well over 100 yards on a high ankle sprain. I played with a broken hand and ribs from an accident in high school and never missed one game as a linebacker. I know that's not high level college football, but I would never take myself out of the game. Didn't you play for Michigan State? I'm sure you were often hurt
everybody plays hurt during the season. adams did as well.

I’m not questioning Adams because only he knows what was going on, but one of the most bizzzare things I’ve ever seen was the Wake Forest game last year when he pulled himself out the 2nd quarter & just sat in the bench the rest of the game. ND said he wasn’t hurt. He wasn’t being disciplined. After the game Coach Kelly said “he had a tough week at school & was not all there” during the game. Nobody would discuss it & even the insiders & mods said they asked everybody & nobody knew. Basically he just didn’t want to play that day.
The scouts all said he needed to show the ability to play a full season, so that was a concern of the NFL guys. I know ND felt that he needed to come back & show scouts he could. That’s why I felt he should have came back.

That might some random "Efficiency Stat" that ESPN or some oneline publisher uses....but its not how coaches, scouts, or analysts grade out efificency.

I already posted for you how efficiency is actually grade by most folks (everyone has minor variations though)

Based on the BS you posted 5 consecutive runs for NO GAIN followed by a 60 Yard TD run against a solid opponent would be HIGHLY...since that RB would have average 10 YPC, gain 60 Yards, and scored a TD on every 6th touch

But to everyone with a brain, it's obvious that RB is the opposite of efficient and consistent

This is why people like you shouldn't talk.
People like you should sit quietly in the corner and listen....because you're stupid and have no idea what you're talking about
HA HA HA HA..........

Every coach in american would take a RB that goes for 5 consecutive runs for no gain then hits a 60 yard TD on the 6th vs a solid opponent. 18 carries, 180 yards, 3 TDs........ Frichan awesome! Barry Sanders anyone? Problem with Adams was he only hit 1 long run against a solid Defense (NC State). Struggled vs MSU, Georgia, LSU, Miami, and even Stanford. I shouldn't say struggled vs MSU, as he didn't play much.

Let me get this straight friedman...... You don't want a RB that hits a 60yd TD on every 6th carry? But like you said it's obvious that anyone with a brain would never want a RB that averaged 10YPC, and scored a TD every 6 carries. Need Travis Thomas back at RB, but i'll pass on an 18-30 year old AP.

Last edited:
I’m not questioning Adams because only he knows what was going on, but one of the most bizzzare things I’ve ever seen was the Wake Forest game last year when he pulled himself out the 2nd quarter & just sat in the bench the rest of the game. ND said he wasn’t hurt. He wasn’t being disciplined. After the game Coach Kelly said “he had a tough week at school & was not all there” during the game. Nobody would discuss it & even the insiders & mods said they asked everybody & nobody knew. Basically he just didn’t want to play that day.
The scouts all said he needed to show the ability to play a full season, so that was a concern of the NFL guys. I know ND felt that he needed to come back & show scouts he could. That’s why I felt he should have came back.
I remember many times he would take himself out of the game, and either get on the bike or sit on the bench and would be laughing a lot. Just not a good visual.

Is that not allowed? As NDafarly mentioned he pulled himself out of multiple games to only come back and start the following week. If you're injured you don't come back that fast, if you're hurt, you don't pull yourself out. There's a difference between pulling yourself out for a series, and pulling yourself out for the remainder of the game. Wimbush had a banged up hand, played through it, albeit not very good, but kelly had to pull him out, he didn't pull himself out.

That is my current opinion until he proves otherwise.

But wouldn’t having a good year do exactly that? It would prove otherwise? If you give the credit to others than it’s impossible for him to prove otherwuse to you, isn’t it?

HA HA HA HA..........

Every coach in american would take a RB that goes for 5 consecutive runs for no gain then hits a 60 yard TD on the 6th vs a solid opponent. 18 carriers, 180 yards, 3 TDs........ Frichan awesome! Barry Sanders anyone? Problem with Adams was he only hit 1 long run against a solid Defense (NC State). Struggled vs MSU, Georgia, LSU, Miami, and even Stanford. I shouldn't say struggled vs MSU, as he didn't play much.

Let me get this straight friedman...... You don't want a RB that hits a 60yd TD on every 6th carry? But like you said it's obvious that anyone with a brain would never want a RB that averaged 10YPC, and scored a TD every 6 carriers. Need Travis Thomas back at RB, but i'll pass on an 18-30 year old AP.

How stupid are you?

Did you intentionally just take the word "Efficient" and replace it with the words "Guy who I want", or are you just illiterate?

A guy who hits a bunch of homeruns but otherwise is constantly getting No Gain may be an effective RB, depending on the team/situation, but he's certainly not efficient.

This brings us back to what I said....and what you so stupidly attempted to challenge:
"Jones was our most EFFICIENT runningback in 2017, when he was on the field"

Is this concept really that hard for you to grasp?

That is my current opinion until he proves otherwise.

The good news is that you've already outed yourself and a moron with no football knowledge whatsoever

So no one needs to worry about your opinion!

Is that not allowed? As NDafarly mentioned he pulled himself out of multiple games to only come back and start the following week. If you're injured you don't come back that fast, if you're hurt, you don't pull yourself out. There's a difference between pulling yourself out for a series, and pulling yourself out for the remainder of the game. Wimbush had a banged up hand, played through it, albeit not very good, but kelly had to pull him out, he didn't pull himself out.

Not trying to sound like I’m promoting Jones again, but he had a high ankle early. That has to be one of the worse injuries to play through for a RB. His explosiveness after that was a fraction of what it was in the spring.

But wouldn’t having a good year do exactly that? It would prove otherwise? If you give the credit to others than it’s impossible for him to prove otherwuse to you, isn’t it?
No, show me the ability to make a person miss, or out run someone, or run through someone and keep going, or fight for an extra yard or two when we need that extra yard or two.

So far, hasn't shown any of the above.

Darius walker in 2005 and 2006. He wasn't even that great of a back, but because of the oline, passing game, and Charlie calling plays he had two really good seasons. He didn't leave after 3 years because he was an NFL lock, he left because his QB and Oline were going to be gone for his senior year and no experience coming back. Tony jones reminds me of Darius withouth the little bit of shiftiness darius had. Jones is a little bigger, but he hasn't shown the ability to use that size yet.

Last edited:
Not trying to sound like I’m promoting Jones again, but he had a high ankle early. That has to be one of the worse injuries to play through for a RB. His explosiveness after that was a fraction of what it was in the spring.
High ankle sprains are awfule, believe me i know. But this spring game looked like the field was made of quick sand when he was running. I want to believe the hype the coaches keep putting on him, and the talk of him reducing body fat had me extremely excited to see him during the spring game. Then he got the ball, and it was the same tony jones that is just slow without moves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT