ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA limit of 85

zonairish

I've posted how many times?
Sep 19, 2012
I do not expect this thread to a long winded thread. What happens if the Irish fail to meet the 85 limit before opening game. IIO mentioned that some of the players not receiving PT do not seem to care they want their degree. So what happens?

I do not expect this thread to a long winded thread. What happens if the Irish fail to meet the 85 limit before opening game. IIO mentioned that some of the players not receiving PT do not seem to care they want their degree. So what happens?

First off, it’s not possible. By that I mean you HAVE to be at 85 or under. So every team is.

Second, it’s never happened ever at ND (where they had to strip a scholarship).

Third, there have been more instances that ND has given a Walk On a year scholarship than being at 85. So the vast majority ND is under, not at 85.

Lou, the ND historian, did an entire piece on this recently.

First off, it’s not possible. By that I mean you HAVE to be at 85 or under. So every team is.

Second, it’s never happened ever at ND (where they had to strip a scholarship).

Third, there have been more instances that ND has given a Walk On a year scholarship than being at 85. So the vast majority ND is under, not at 85.

Lou, the ND historian, did an entire piece on this recently.

Farly, I remember that piece. So in reality even though it will not happen. Notre Dame would have to strip 2 players of scholarships in the unlikely event it happened.

Farly, I remember that piece. So in reality even though it will not happen. Notre Dame would have to strip 2 players of scholarships in the unlikely event it happened.

Technically yes. They have to be at 85.
But in the history of ND football they have never been in that situation.
They start camp at 85, that way they aren’t trying to decide a few weeks out. Something always happens at camp (injury or academic) & they end up giving a scholarship or two to walk one.

What is out there currently is that a few players have dropped down the depth chart & will most likely leave. One of them most people can guess & wont care about.

Really hope they aren't looking at Dex as a possible victim for a loss of scholarship.

If he leaves we're looking at an 8-9 win season in my opinion.

Not sure how many wins you think a guy who is MAYBE going to touch the ball 7-10 times a game is worth??

But let me guess...this is another one of your “I have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about” opinions, right?

Reactions: mirer03
Not sure how many wins you think a guy who is MAYBE going to touch the ball 7-10 times a game is worth??

But let me guess...this is another one of your “I have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about” opinions, right?

Friedman, did you ever graduate from charm school? Your MO seems to be state your opinion and then slash and burn the other opinion and poster. People are entitled to opinions.

I thought the same thing as you about williams. If he is a 10-15 carry guy how much would that affect the team? And if we have recruits coming in as freshman who may have some running ability but may not be up to backfield blocking then are we losing much? or could it be a net gain?

Reactions: Kelso86

I do realize that you are easily annoyed and that somehow affects your genius but being annoyed generally with everyone else's opinion shows who you are as a person.

Reactions: Telx1
Zona...I’ve wondered the same. Seems like one of these days the inevitable is going to happen, and we’ll find ourselves one or two above the limit and Fall approaching rapidly. The short answer is we will have to be at the limit, but the real question your asking is HOW we would get down to the limit. Red shirt, medical red shirt, taking away a walk on who earned a schollie, come to Jesus meeting to force a transfer, cut from the Team for performance or behavior concerns. Not sure what the rules are with respect to red shirts, etc... but there has to be limits to avoid stockpiling, otherwise why would Bama resort to grey shirting. Not sure if these are in fact the only options, but would be interested in other’s takes on this, beyond the reality that we have never found ourselves in this position.
Frankly, the significant improvement of talent in our defensive backfield means we have several players who will likely never see playing time beyond ST play, and a few of these are young enough and talented enough to have nice college careers elsewhere, but the choice between playing versus the ND degree and experience must be a really heart wrenching decision. I think we all have some names in mind that fit this circumstance, but personally prefer not to speculate with names as these guys deserve our respect for the sacrifices they make to represent ND on the field. Behavior issue guys don’t deserve the same in my opinion. Let’s hope our history of natural attrition Kicks without losing the services of players who make an impact.

If Dex goes the only real impact is depth at RB and potentially one big play a game. I think Dex is a special runner, but he has yet to commit to pass blocking and has never stayed healthy in a very limited role. The idea that he will get a heavy workload as a workhorse back just doesn't seem realistic on the best of days. With rumored recently events it's more than likely he is missing 4 games, going to have a reduced role on the team when he returns, and could possibly transfer. Time to get behind Jones, Davis, and Armstrong and hope one of the freshmen come in ready to play.

If Dex goes the only real impact is depth at RB and potentially one big play a game. I think Dex is a special runner, but he has yet to commit to pass blocking and has never stayed healthy in a very limited role. The idea that he will get a heavy workload as a workhorse back just doesn't seem realistic on the best of days. With rumored recently events it's more than likely he is missing 4 games, going to have a reduced role on the team when he returns, and could possibly transfer. Time to get behind Jones, Davis, and Armstrong and hope one of the freshmen come in ready to play.
Would not surprise me one bit to see avery davis breakout this year.

i highly doubt the absence of dexter williams whether its 4 games or 12 games will be the determining factor in whether nd wins 8 or 9 games or 10 or 11. never has a player been held is such high esteem by some despite doing so little.
I think he's that talented. He's like a freaking mouse in between the tackles, he just finds a way to get 5 yards no matter what.

I think he's that talented. He's like a freaking mouse in between the tackles, he just finds a way to get 5 yards no matter what.
i think he talented also. that said nothing he's done suggests he can be a three down back. i doubt him getting 20 touches a game is part of the plan.

If he leaves we're looking at an 8-9 win season in my opinion.
Any one player (not a QB) won't make or break this team. Dex would not be the difference between an extra 3-4 wins, IMO.

Hell, last year we had the best Oline in the country and one of the most productive backs and we still threw the ball around 30-40 times a game - with great results.

RB is important in this offense but not make or break.

Zona...I’ve wondered the same. Seems like one of these days the inevitable is going to happen, and we’ll find ourselves one or two above the limit and Fall approaching rapidly. The short answer is we will have to be at the limit, but the real question your asking is HOW we would get down to the limit. Red shirt, medical red shirt, taking away a walk on who earned a schollie, come to Jesus meeting to force a transfer, cut from the Team for performance or behavior concerns. Not sure what the rules are with respect to red shirts, etc... but there has to be limits to avoid stockpiling, otherwise why would Bama resort to grey shirting. Not sure if these are in fact the only options, but would be interested in other’s takes on this, beyond the reality that we have never found ourselves in this position.
Frankly, the significant improvement of talent in our defensive backfield means we have several players who will likely never see playing time beyond ST play, and a few of these are young enough and talented enough to have nice college careers elsewhere, but the choice between playing versus the ND degree and experience must be a really heart wrenching decision. I think we all have some names in mind that fit this circumstance, but personally prefer not to speculate with names as these guys deserve our respect for the sacrifices they make to represent ND on the field. Behavior issue guys don’t deserve the same in my opinion. Let’s hope our history of natural attrition Kicks without losing the services of players who make an impact.

Telx Well said

i highly doubt the absence of dexter williams whether its 4 games or 12 games will be the determining factor in whether nd wins 8 or 9 games or 10 or 11. never has a player been held is such high esteem by some despite doing so little.
It's not his talent or ability that is going to be the difference maker in a lot of games, it's the lack of talent and ability behind him that causes unbelievable concern. Armstrong is the only RB not facing a suspension that has major power 5 RB talent, and he wasn't even recruited as a RB. Who knows if he can learn the nuances of the position. Smith and Jones know how to play the position, they just lack ability, and that is alarming. I haven't seen anyone say Williams is going to be in any RB of the year conversation, but other teams will have to account for him and game plan for him. Other teams will not spend one second game planning for Jones or Smith if he has to play. For jones and smith it's as simple as, see them, tackle them. They won't juke you out, won't run around you, won't run over you. Jones has a slight chance to be a good short yardage back if he puts his head down and hits the hole hard. I could see him being slightly better than adams at that. But that's about it.

Reactions: NDIRISH53
Any one player (not a QB) won't make or break this team. Dex would not be the difference between an extra 3-4 wins, IMO.

Hell, last year we had the best Oline in the country and one of the most productive backs and we still threw the ball around 30-40 times a game - with great results.

RB is important in this offense but not make or break.
Huh? We threw the ball with great results?

It's not his talent or ability that is going to be the difference maker in a lot of games, it's the lack of talent and ability behind him that causes unbelievable concern. Armstrong is the only RB not facing a suspension that has major power 5 RB talent, and he wasn't even recruited as a RB. Who knows if he can learn the nuances of the position. Smith and Jones know how to play the position, they just lack ability, and that is alarming. I haven't seen anyone say Williams is going to be in any RB of the year conversation, but other teams will have to account for him and game plan for him. Other teams will not spend one second game planning for Jones or Smith if he has to play. For jones and smith it's as simple as, see them, tackle them. They won't juke you out, won't run around you, won't run over you. Jones has a slight chance to be a good short yardage back if he puts his head down and hits the hole hard. I could see him being slightly better than adams at that. But that's about it.
Exactly, the cupboard is bare behind Dex when talking about major college football talent at running back.

Friedman, did you ever graduate from charm school? Your MO seems to be state your opinion and then slash and burn the other opinion and poster. People are entitled to opinions.

I thought the same thing as you about williams. If he is a 10-15 carry guy how much would that affect the team? And if we have recruits coming in as freshman who may have some running ability but may not be up to backfield blocking then are we losing much? or could it be a net gain?

I’m not going to bother pulling punches because it could hurt some feelings.

If you don’t want your feelings bruised, don’t say anything stupid.

On Williams, he’s literally never touched the ball 10x in and game and he’s been the clear #2 or even #3 RB in practice behind Jones.

It SUCKS to lose his upside, but until he gets his head is his backside...we’ve never had his upside to begin with.

Hard to see how losing him effects 2-3 wins, so one must think this is an 8 win teams to start with in order to claim the post that I initially quoted.

That seems like a silly contention to me.

Exactly, the cupboard is bare behind Dex when talking about major college football talent at running back.

This is just stupid.

Jones is more than good enough to be a “major P5” RB. Is a future NFL back? Probably not. But he’s plenty good to be a 1000+ yard rusher in college, if he maximizes his ability.

He was the most efficient RB on the team in 2016, better even than Adams. Now some of that is when/who he was playing...but that’s not nothing.

And that was Jones playing injured...as RS Frosh.

The issue with losing Williams is losing his upside and losing someone to get the ball 8-10 times a game to...and likely forcing more touches to Davis and Armstrong, who haven’t really played RB much.

But Williams was never going to be a major “carriers per game guy”.

Hopefully he can come back after 4 games and provide more depth and rotation in the backfield.

Ideally he’d learn from this and shown up with his hair in fire, doing everything he was asked and then some...but at this point that’s starting to seem like a pure fantasy.

People are WAY overestimating Dex’s ability.

I posted this before (to a chorus of boos, LOL) but they break down each RBs stats by efficiency.

For example, is it a first down run, run over 4 yards, when the run occurred, etc...

And Dex stockpiled yards in the late 3rd Q & 4th Q after the OL & other RBs wore down the defense. He was fresh, explosive, & running against physically beaten defenses.
His average late was almost 18 ypc. His average in the 1st half was less than 3 ypc.

When he did get runs against good D’s early he wasn’t effective. Part of was D’s knew if he was in the game it was probably a run or quick pass. So they could walk up.

People are WAY overestimating Dex’s ability.

I posted this before (to a chorus of boos, LOL) but they break down each RBs stats by efficiency.

For example, is it a first down run, run over 4 yards, when the run occurred, etc...

And Dex stockpiled yards in the late 3rd Q & 4th Q after the OL & other RBs wore down the defense. He was fresh, explosive, & running against physically beaten defenses.
His average late was almost 18 ypc. His average in the 1st half was less than 3 ypc.

When he did get runs against good D’s early he wasn’t effective. Part of was D’s knew if he was in the game it was probably a run or quick pass. So they could walk up.
I hardly hardly remember him getting any carries less than 3 yards. Didn't josh Adams do the same? He had so many runs that went for 2 or less yards, then would rope off a couple long ones each game. Dex is more consistent running the ball then he gets credit for. He doesn't f around he sees the hole gets 4 yards and then maybe makes something happen to get an extra 5. He is mouse like the way he manages to find holes

I hardly hardly remember him getting any carries less than 3 yards. Didn't josh Adams do the same? He had so many runs that went for 2 or less yards, then would rope off a couple long ones each game. Dex is more consistent running the ball then he gets credit for. He doesn't f around he sees the hole gets 4 yards and then maybe makes something happen to get an extra 5. He is mouse like the way he manages to find holes

Of course Adams had short runs. But that is normal for the every down starter.
I like Dex. I want him to succeed. But I just don’t think people understand how hard it is as the starter & 3 down back opposed to the fresh guy who benefits from it.

Lou (ND historian) wrote a cool piece about how Holtz used the Rocket. He never played him at RB early in games. He would wait until D’s were worn down then put Rocket back there & be explosive. Other backs took the beaten for 2+ Quarters then Rocket would come in & use that to get pass the first level, & once he got up to speed in the 2nd level it was over.

Of course Adams had short runs. But that is normal for the every down starter.
I like Dex. I want him to succeed. But I just don’t think people understand how hard it is as the starter & 3 down back opposed to the fresh guy who benefits from it.

Lou (ND historian) wrote a cool piece about how Holtz used the Rocket. He never played him at RB early in games. He would wait until D’s were worn down then put Rocket back there & be explosive. Other backs took the beaten for 2+ Quarters then Rocket would come in & use that to get pass the first level, & once he got up to speed in the 2nd level it was over.
Adams had way way too many short runs though. He was very feast or famine, especially with the line we had.

I’m not going to bother pulling punches because it could hurt some feelings.

If you don’t want your feelings bruised, don’t say anything stupid.

On Williams, he’s literally never touched the ball 10x in and game and he’s been the clear #2 or even #3 RB in practice behind Jones.

It SUCKS to lose his upside, but until he gets his head is his backside...we’ve never had his upside to begin with.

Hard to see how losing him effects 2-3 wins, so one must think this is an 8 win teams to start with in order to claim the post that I initially quoted.

That seems like a silly contention to me.

Being an arse is up to you. telling folks I disagree and this is my two cents seems better. However, the bully arse way seems to work for you

Being an arse is up to you. telling folks I disagree and this is my two cents seems better. However, the bully arse way seems to work for you

If being told that a stupid opinion is, in fact, stupid seems like bullying to you.....I suggest you run along to your nearest Safe Space or Cry Closet

I'll call them like I see them.

If someone has an opinion that I disagree with, but it's well sourced, well thoughtout, and well explained...I'll respectfully disagree with it.

If someone spouts off on a topic they clearly don't understand, like an idiot, I'll have a laugh at their expense.

If you need someone to hold your hand and tell you that all opinions are good opinions....I'd suggest finding your nearest baby-sitter or kindergarten teacher

If being told that a stupid opinion is, in fact, stupid seems like bullying to you.....I suggest you run along to your nearest Safe Space or Cry Closet

I'll call them like I see them.

If someone has an opinion that I disagree with, but it's well sourced, well thoughtout, and well explained...I'll respectfully disagree with it.

If someone spouts off on a topic they clearly don't understand, like an idiot, I'll have a laugh at their expense.

If you need someone to hold your hand and tell you that all opinions are good opinions....I'd suggest finding your nearest baby-sitter or kindergarten teacher

Now here is a stupid opinion. Now go off to your women's study class. What a jackarse you are. That's is my two cents

Now here is a stupid opinion. Now go off to your women's study class. What a jackarse you are. That's is my two cents

Very interesting.

Where do you believe I expressed an opinion?

I've simply told you how I react to stupid and uninformed opinions.

Sorry that you're so used to people babying you.

This is just stupid.

Jones is more than good enough to be a “major P5” RB. Is a future NFL back? Probably not. But he’s plenty good to be a 1000+ yard rusher in college, if he maximizes his ability.

He was the most efficient RB on the team in 2016, better even than Adams. Now some of that is when/who he was playing...but that’s not nothing.

And that was Jones playing injured...as RS Frosh.

The issue with losing Williams is losing his upside and losing someone to get the ball 8-10 times a game to...and likely forcing more touches to Davis and Armstrong, who haven’t really played RB much.

But Williams was never going to be a major “carriers per game guy”.

Hopefully he can come back after 4 games and provide more depth and rotation in the backfield.

Ideally he’d learn from this and shown up with his hair in fire, doing everything he was asked and then some...but at this point that’s starting to seem like a pure fantasy.
Are you just dumb or don’t want to look at stats? jones wasn’t the most efficient RB last year he was the LEAST LEAST efficient RB, Ian book was better. Jones had lowest YPC of anyone on team with more than 10 caries.

People, please ignore Friedman for your own sanity. He spews awful opinions as facts and couldn’t be more wrong but won’t admit it when proven so.

Reactions: Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT