ADVERTISEMENT

NC State the bell weather

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
I expect a 21 point win. If we struggle then all bets are off. I anticipate winning the natty. I’ve said that since February because somebody needed to in Bodi’s absence.

I only see USC being a very tough game. In playoffs we will roll. But in the slight chance I could be wrong, it would surface this week. Beat Wolfpack by 21 and we will get a lot of attention

Reactions: tbone3114
I admire your confidence but come on man, Buckeyes will be a very tough game. Don't look at the Indiana game and assume that is a gimme. OSU historically plays down in their first game. Didn't they lose to VT at home then win the natty? You think you're going from 8-4 with two bad losses to an easy game against OSU and rolling in the playoff? Freeman is Nick Saban if that is the case. Your team is improved, particularly at QB, and I root for any power that is not in the SEC, so I would not be upset if you are right, but come on.

I admire your confidence but come on man, Buckeyes will be a very tough game. Don't look at the Indiana game and assume that is a gimme. OSU historically plays down in their first game. Didn't they lose to VT at home then win the natty? You think you're going from 8-4 with two bad losses to an easy game against OSU and rolling in the playoff? Freeman is Nick Saban if that is the case. Your team is improved, particularly at QB, and I root for any power that is not in the SEC, so I would not be upset if you are right, but come on.
If we beat ncs by 21 then the rest will happen
😜👍

You have to look at the 4 losses. What was THE issue. It was one thing, QB. We had a very average, serviceable QB. OSU and USC where really close games even with that. OSU we took the lead into the 4th. USC we were walking in for a late tie when Pyne (QB) just fumbles the ball at the 20ish.

Stanford was coaching, kick the FG ,take the win instead of going for it on 4th and 2 from the goal. Marshall was just unexplainable. I would say coaching, MF owns that one.

Buckeyes will be very tough, they are top 5. Those games are tough but its the reverse of 22. Home, at night, ND has the elite QB this time. OSU has a first time starter. Gonna be tough in that environment.

USC, our defense is better than theirs and our offenses are the same. Again, home, night, gonna be a great game but I like the setup there.

Clemson, i think that's a loss. Late season, at night, at Clemson, we stomped a mud hole in their ass last year so they got that game circled. You are going to get Clemson trying to save an entire season. That one I think is the toughest draw.

The rest of our games, we "should win". No disrespect, NCC and Duke can ABSOLUTELY win. Its CFB. There are lots of things that happen between the ears of 18 year olds. If it was up to "on paper", there would be no upsets or dogs and they happen weekly. On paper, the only teams that have our talent are Clemson, OSU and USC and 2 of those 3 have intangibles that I like.

What we dont know, what kind of coach is MF. The dude is 15 games in.....I think he is a fantastic human, has a great pedegree, has every box checked except the experience and record.

Its going to come down now to the coaches, Nick Saban would have this team in the playoffs. That is the level of players we have this year. Last time we had even close to this was 2015, that team was devastated by injuries and lost to Clemson at home and Stanford on a penalty late. The lost 2 games by a total of 4 points. I think in that Stanford game something like 11 starters were out or that probably is a championship team.

Last edited:
You have to look at the 4 losses. What was THE issue. It was one thing, QB. We had a very average, serviceable QB. OSU and USC where really close games even with that. OSU we took the lead into the 4th. USC we were walking in for a late tie when Pyne (QB) just fumbles the ball at the 20ish.

Stanford was coaching, kick the FG ,take the win instead of going for it on 4th and 2 from the goal. Marshall was just unexplainable. I would say coaching, MF owns that one.

Buckeyes will be very tough, they are top 5. Those games are tough but its the reverse of 22. Home, at night, ND has the elite QB this time. OSU has a first time starter. Gonna be tough in that environment.

USC, our defense is better than theirs and our offenses are the same. Again, home, night, gonna be a great game but I like the setup there.

Clemson, i think that's a loss. Late season, at night, at Clemson, we stomped a mud hole in their ass last year so they got that game circled. You are going to get Clemson trying to save an entire season. That one I think is the toughest draw.

The rest of our games, we "should win". No disrespect, NCC and Duke can ABSOLUTELY win. Its CFB. There are lots of things that happen between the ears of 18 year olds. If it was up to "on paper", there would be no upsets or dogs and they happen weekly. On paper, the only teams that have our talent are Clemson, OSU and USC and 2 of those 3 have intangibles that I like.

What we dont know, what kind of coach is MF. The dude is 15 games in.....I think he is a fantastic human, has a great pedegree, has every box checked except the experience and record.

Its going to come down now to the coaches, Nick Saban would have this team in the playoffs. That is the level of players we have this year. Last time we had even close to this was 2015, that team was devastated by injuries and lost to Clemson at home and Stanford on a penalty late. The lost 2 games by a total of 4 points. I think in that Stanford game something like 11 starters were out or that probably is a championship team.
"OSU we took the lead into the 4th. USC we were walking in for a late tie when Pyne (QB) just fumbles the ball at the 20ish"

OSU was up 14-10 going into the 4th -- and had OSU pinned down on about the 10 yard line. Pyne's fumble against USC was in the 3rd quarter and ND was down 17-7 -- but to your point, ND was marching and instead of cutting the lead to 17-14, ND ended up going down 24-7.

"Last time we had even close to this was 2015, that team was devastated by injuries and lost to Clemson at home and Stanford on a penalty late"

Clemson was away in 2015 -- played in a nasty storm and fell behind 14-0 almost immediately.

Duke will be scary only because they are better than advertised, and it is directly after what will probably be a very physical game against Ohio State. OSU's defense is good, but, how much will they have been tested in the 1st 3 weeks?

MF appears to have proven he has learned a lot from year 1. Now, as we get into the meat of the schedule, we will learn more.

And last season -- ND had Clemson in South Bend.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbonesays
OK, ND had the lead with 17 seconds left in the 3rd quarter. Seems like "rounding was appropriate" there but i get the point CNN. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Kelso86
I hope you are right. It is a bit optimistic as we have played nobody and SC has the Heisman favorite and the top rated offensive coach.

Me too, but it is CFB!

I base it on last years game. We had two turnovers; one was sure points. The final score would have been a 1 score game. Fast forward, take the turnovers out and add Hartman. Mix in home and night. I just feel its gonna be something!

If it happens, and ND is undefeated, its not Caleb who will be the Heisman favorite any longer.

I expect a 21 point win. If we struggle then all bets are off. I anticipate winning the natty. I’ve said that since February because somebody needed to in Bodi’s absence.

I only see USC being a very tough game. In playoffs we will roll. But in the slight chance I could be wrong, it would surface this week. Beat Wolfpack by 21 and we will get a lot of attention
How much are you willing to bet on your 21 point prediction ?

This. Smart. Money.

I am not yet sold on ND's interior on the D line. I have yet to see the push and collapsing the O line to plug the holes. Against inferior O lines they stll looked a bit soft. I hope I am wrong about that. As the competition goes up....this will be problematic or I will be proven wrong.....

Reactions: graceh90
We do know 3 of those guys played last year very well and are only larger and stronger in Cross, Botelho and mills. Would be nice to have Rubio back.

Some are worried about our secondary play, they are all back and where outstanding last year.

The defense was top 40 last year, it should be a top 25 this year.

The weakness I see is our WR and interior line. Man to man against TSU there was little separation. They aslo where standing still when Hartman scrambled. That’s shocking. Zone, Hartman was a surgeon. We need those WR to develop fast. The line let pressure straight up. That first TD pass (I think first) was e almost lost Hartman for the year with what looked like some cheap knee hunting shot. So that’s an issue.

I did read that Hartman agains the top teams in the ACC was pretty abysmal. Losing record and about 56% completion.

Now, it’s Wake and those weapons, line and backs. I mean when Drew Pyne can go 9-17 and 85 yards and we put up 35 I think Sam will finally get to see how capable he is.

This game should tell us a lot about coaches, our lines and our WR’s. I can see a 7-0, 10-3 lead coming out of the first easy if NC takes the ball first.

Reactions: theskibro
We do know 3 of those guys played last year very well and are only larger and stronger in Cross, Botelho and mills. Would be nice to have Rubio back.

Some are worried about our secondary play, they are all back and where outstanding last year.

The weakness I see is our WR and interior line. Man to man against TSU there was little separation. They aslo where standing still when Hartman scrambled. That’s shocking. Zone, Hartman was a surgeon. We need those WR to develop fast. The line let pressure straight up. That first TD pass (I think first) was e almost lost Hartman for the year with what looked like some cheap knee hunting shot. So that’s an issue.

I did read that Hartman agains the top teams in the ACC was pretty abysmal. Losing record and about 56% completion.

Now, it’s Wake and those weapons, line and backs. I mean when Drew Pyne can go 9-17 and 85 yards and we put up 35 I think Sam will finally get to see how capable he is.

This game should tell us a lot about coaches, our lines and our WR’s. I can see a 7-0, 10-3 lead coming out of the first easy if NC takes the ball first.
Agree. O line not tested.

Reactions: ftnfan62

I‘m not as concerned about our receivers as I am about our interior offensive and defensive lines. Their strength is pass defense, and their weakness is run defense, and so we will likely see us try to run the ball down their throats with only sporadic passing for when they start bringing their corners up to stop the run. Rocco and Coogan have played well, but they haven’t been tested. Our DL has played well, but I hope we see a dominant performance against a more typical power 5 opponent; and I hope we see the emergence of one or two dominant disruptive players. Agree with Ski and his OP, this is a good bell weather game.

Michigan in the playoffs would be a much tougher game for us than Ohio State week 4.

This game will come down to our OL and the ability to give Hartman time and let Estime do his thing. If they don’t block that OSU DL then it’s gameover imo.

Reactions: theskibro
Michigan in the playoffs would be a much tougher game for us than Ohio State week 4.

This game will come down to our OL and the ability to give Hartman time and let Estime do his thing. If they don’t block that OSU DL then it’s gameover imo.
Osu athletes will be tougher than a Michigan game

Seems to be a bit of downplaying OSU. Honestly, I don't get it. So they had a slow and tentative first game. That isn't uncommon. They are stacked....and we are going to have to play the entire field to beat them. No area of our O or D can be exploited...or it will be. They will be favored for a reason. The game is winnable....but it will take all hands on deck, without turnovers and penalties.

Reactions: Golson5
Clemson a 1-3 in their last 4 games I think. Shipley isn’t a star. Their QB isn’t a star. Dabo is panicking. The wheels are coming off. If ND keeps winning and is truly as legit as they appear, Clemson is going to come out with literally everything they have. If they get down a few scores, not only is the game over, their season might crumble around them. Scary times down here in SC.

Clemson a 1-3 in their last 4 games I think. Shipley isn’t a star. Their QB isn’t a star. Dabo is panicking. The wheels are coming off. If ND keeps winning and is truly as legit as they appear, Clemson is going to come out with literally everything they have. If they get down a few scores, not only is the game over, their season might crumble around them. Scary times down here in SC.

College football is dependent on QB’s. I’m surprised Dabo didn’t go after a portal.

Reactions: ftnfan62
College football is dependent on QB’s. I’m surprised Dabo didn’t go after a portal.
Dabo doesn't like using the portal. And Klubnik was a 5*, although he hasn't played like it yet.

I‘m not as concerned about our receivers as I am about our interior offensive and defensive lines. Their strength is pass defense, and their weakness is run defense, and so we will likely see us try to run the ball down their throats with only sporadic passing for when they start bringing their corners up to stop the run. Rocco and Coogan have played well, but they haven’t been tested. Our DL has played well, but I hope we see a dominant performance against a more typical power 5 opponent; and I hope we see the emergence of one or two dominant disruptive players. Agree with Ski and his OP, this is a good bell weather game.
Hmmm.. 400 yds rushing and 6 td's would be cool!!!

Reactions: Telx1
I think beatin' up on Dabo is bad Mojo.....He is an elite coach....going through an adjustment period. We don't want to be on the wrong end of that adjustment....kind of like going to the wrong chiropracter. Respect Clemson football....thats safe money. Play them like they are the best...and give it your all...but to underestimate them is fool's gold.

Seems to be a bit of downplaying OSU. Honestly, I don't get it. So they had a slow and tentative first game. That isn't uncommon. They are stacked....and we are going to have to play the entire field to beat them. No area of our O or D can be exploited...or it will be. They will be favored for a reason. The game is winnable....but it will take all hands on deck, without turnovers and penalties.
They certainly are loaded as always, except at QB. We all know how that ends, we have seen that for years. Now, do they have 5 stat QB’s? Yea, have they ever played at night at ND away from home with a top defense? No, it’s just hard to overcome a QB that does not have time in the saddle.

They certainly are loaded as always, except at QB. We all know how that ends, we have seen that for years. Now, do they have 5 stat QB’s? Yea, have they ever played at night at ND away from home with a top defense? No, it’s just hard to overcome a QB that does not have time in the saddle.
They have more talent around said qb than we did

I don’t bet unless it’s your money or your dog.
My thread poses a hypothetical. If we win by 21 which I expect, then we are legit and could run table. If not. Not
I would agree that a 21 point win would convey significant legitimacy to ND being a title contender.

We’ll know in 24 hours

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT