ADVERTISEMENT

My changes on offense

Side note: I hate how everyone gave BK sh*t for flipping on mustipher for his poor snapping. We saw outside of the hurricane game he is a poor snapper. This alone could cost him his job + I see a lack of self confidence. I fully expect a Hoge mustipher battle this offseason
Earlier in the thread you said Hoge was going to be battling for the guard slot.

Those comments were made about Bars as a freshman, not to mention Kelly has a history of really talking up his players. Some of those guys have developed into elite players and others not so much.

If your assertion is that Alex Bars is going to be better than a multi year captain, 4 year starting left tackle who was drafted 16th overall after not surrending a sack for 2 years and who ended up becoming All Pro as a rookie in the NFL, or the 1st overall lineman taken in the NFL Draft, a top 10 pick, I think your expectations are out of proportion. Among ND OL I think that McGlinchey, Nelson, Kraemer, Eichenberg and Hainsey will all be better than Bars and Josh Lugg could be as well.

I think Alex is a good player and I think ND is happy to have him, but, IMO, and I'll surely reach out to you down the road to eat crow if I'm wrong, he isn't the same caliber of player as at least two of those three players that you mentioned him in the same conversation as.... Very much hope I'm wrong. Would love to see him come out of this winter conditioning stint, a full year removed from the injury, strong and mobile.

Being the best prospect doesn't mean that he'll turn out better than Zach Martin.

But when both Kelly and Heistand say that.....it means a lot.

You're simply off base with your assertions about Bars play last year and his potential. And trying to put a player like Hainsey ahead of him is foolish boarding on laughable.

Bars is the 2nd best OT prospect we have on campus right now, with Eichenberg being the only other OL at ND who has any level of hope of ever challenging Bars for an OT position.
(Lugg has the tools but is FAR to raw as a pass protector to have any hope of challenging Bars during their short shared tenure at ND)

That's just the way it is, straight from the coaches

Earlier in the thread you said Hoge was going to be battling for the guard slot.

I would expect Hoge to be in play at both the Center and Right Guard spots this off-season.

The staff has shown that they're mainly interested in finding the best 5 OLs and that they'll figure out a way to get those 5 players onto the field together afterwards.
(FWIW, I definitely think this is the correct way to do it)

Being the best prospect doesn't mean that he'll turn out better than Zach Martin.

But when both Kelly and Heistand say that.....it means a lot.

You're simply off base with your assertions about Bars play last year and his potential. And trying to put a player like Hainsey ahead of him is foolish boarding on laughable.

Bars is the 2nd best OT prospect we have on campus right now, with Eichenberg being the only other OL at ND who has any level of hope of ever challenging Bars for an OT position.
(Lugg has the tools but is FAR to raw as a pass protector to have any hope of challenging Bars during their short shared tenure at ND)

That's just the way it is, straight from the coaches

Just because a guy is a great prospect it doean't mean he's a great player. The fact is that Alex Bars needs to play a hell a lot of better than he did last year (as does Mike McGlinchey) for ND's offense to meet the potential it has. Nobody is questioning that Bars has upside, but to act like he's accomplished jack shit at ND thus far would be completely overstating anything that he's accomplished.

You mentioned him in the same light as Stanley and Martin, not me. Bars has a long way to go in the consistancy to department before he's either of those players.

As for Hainsey, I don't think it's a reach to suggest that he has the makings of a dominant guard. So what that he's not a tackle? That doesn't change the upside at the position that he does play.

Just because a guy is a great prospect it doean't mean he's a great player. The fact is that Alex Bars needs to play a hell a lot of better than he did last year (as does Mike McGlinchey) for ND's offense to meet the potential it has. Nobody is questioning that Bars has upside, but to act like he's accomplished jack shit at ND thus far would be completely overstating anything that he's accomplished.

You mentioned him in the same light as Stanley and Martin, not me. Bars has a long way to go in the consistancy to department before he's either of those players.

As for Hainsey, I don't think it's a reach to suggest that he has the makings of a dominant guard. So what that he's not a tackle? That doesn't change the upside at the position that he does play.

Bars has accoplished a lot already at ND, hell, he's won a starting spot on the OL as an underclassmen.

And you're wrong (again), it's not me that's mentioning Bars with the likely of Stanley, Martin, and McGlinchey.......that would be his own coaches
(calling him the best prospect they've ever coached, after coaching those guys)

Sorry buddy, you're just missing the boat on this one. The coaches see it. I see it.
It really doesn't matter that you don't see it.

Bars will continue to lock down an OT spot for as long as he's at ND (barring major injury) and then will move onto the NFL as a very quality OL

It's really quite simple.

Bars has accoplished a lot already at ND, hell, he's won a starting spot on the OL as an underclassmen.

And you're wrong (again), it's not me that's mentioning Bars with the likely of Stanley, Martin, and McGlinchey.......that would be his own coaches

Sorry buddy, you're just missing the boat on this one. The coaches see it. I see it.

Bars will continue to lock down an OT spot for as long as he's at ND (barring major injury) and then will move onto the NFL as a very quality OL

Woahhhh... Huge difference between saying that a guy is going to the NFL vs talking about a guy in the same breath as the first OT taken in the NFL draft with a top 10 pick a year ago. As I said, I like Bars. He has a chance to be a really good one. That said, do I ever picture him being a top 10 NFL draft pick like Ronnie Stanley was? Not if he doesn't do a better job against edge rushers.

If Bars is the best OL Kelly and Hiestand have ever coached, he's a lock to become a 5 time Pro Bowler like 1st round pick Joe Staley. Or when he goes in the top 10 and is the first lineman off the board like Stanley was last year because he was so coveted, or when he goes 16th overall like Martin, despite being an interior OL and is All Pro in the NFL as a rookie.

Until then, we can argue circles around each other, and the only evidence we have is a single year of starting as a junior, when his team went 4-8, ND's running game regressed significantly, sack totals increased after Stanley's graduation and McGlinchey's move from right tackle to left tackle.

I only care about results. Based on your narrative about something Kelly said 3 years ago, you believe that Alex Bars is the best OL ND has had since Kelly's arrival. Also better than Joe Staley, a 5 time Pro Bowler and better than Olin Kreutz, the Chicago Bears 6 time pro bowl center who Hiestand coached with the Bears.

I sincerely hope you're correct on this one. Because If Alex Bars has as good of a senior season as Zack Martin (one in which he was borderline perfect), or out plays Joe Staley and Olin Kreutz, with 11 combined Pro Bowls, the right edge of ND's offensive line is likely in the hands of the best O lineman in all of college football. That would be awesome!

I strongly disagree.

Bars is a natural OT, he's easily the 2nd best athlete we have along the OL , and is only slgnt behind McGlinchey in that respect.

Both Kelly and Heistand have called Bars the best OT prospect that they've coached in years
(And they've coached Zach Martin, Ronnie Stanley, and Mike McGlinchey)
Bars is ok., no more no less. If he s your worst starter your line is pretty good. If he s your best you re in trouble.

Wouldn't t surprise me one bit if liam beats him out.

Woahhhh... Huge difference between saying that a guy is going to the NFL vs talking about a guy in the same breath as the first OT taken in the NFL draft with a top 10 pick a year ago. As I said, I like Bars. He has a chance to be a really good one. That said, do I ever picture him being a top 10 NFL draft pick like Ronnie Stanley was? Not if he doesn't do a better job against edge rushers.

If Bars is the best OL Kelly and Hiestand have ever coached, he's a lock to become a 5 time Pro Bowler like 1st round pick Joe Staley. Or when he goes in the top 10 and is the first lineman off the board like Stanley was last year because he was so coveted, or when he goes 16th overall like Martin, despite being an interior OL and is All Pro in the NFL as a rookie.

Until then, we can argue circles around each other, and the only evidence we have is a single year of starting as a junior, when his team went 4-8, ND's running game regressed significantly, sack totals increased after Stanley's graduation and McGlinchey's move from right tackle to left tackle.

I only care about results. Based on your narrative about something Kelly said 3 years ago, you believe that Alex Bars is the best OL ND has had since Kelly's arrival. Also better than Joe Staley, a 5 time Pro Bowler and better than Olin Kreutz, the Chicago Bears 6 time pro bowl center who Hiestand coached with the Bears.

I sincerely hope you're correct on this one. Because If Alex Bars has as good of a senior season as Zack Martin (one in which he was borderline perfect), or out plays Joe Staley and Olin Kreutz, with 11 combined Pro Bowls, the right edge of ND's offensive line is likely in the hands of the best O lineman in all of college football. That would be awesome!

It's funny how you resort to hyperbole because you're no longer able to handle a discussion.

I said the Bars in a future NFL. That's me.

Kelly and Heistand, the coaches who see him (and their former prospects) every single day are the ones that put him in the discussion with Martin, Stanley, and McGlinchey.
So you're laughable rant isn't about my conclusions.....it's about theirs.

And no one said that he would be drafted higher than Stanley or have more Pro-Bowls than Martin.....just that he's a better OL prospect than either one was at the same point in their careers.

Additionally, he performed fairly well in his 1st full year as a starter, given the circumstances
(position change, coming off an injury, as a 1st Year starter)

That's why I pointed out that your criticisms were incorrect and not support by those that are actually in the "know"

Keep trying though buddy!

Bars is ok., no more no less. If he s your worst starter your line is pretty good. If he s your best you re in trouble.

Bars will be an NFL draft pick, so I'd say you're understating by quite a bit.

Limit your phrasing to "rSo Bars, coming off an injury, in his 1st year starting" and then you're best/worst description at least comes close to holding water

Friendly wager on the topic?

Friendly wager that Alex grades out as the 3rd best OL on his own Oline in 2017?.. McGlinchey (despite his false starts last year) and Nelson are better players.

For the record, I don't need to resort to anything in order to have a football conversation with you. Ever.

You're the one suggesting that the kid is really good based on nothing but a year's worth of ok play, and some made by coaches that you then distant yourself from once someones poi ts out how premature those comments were and how far Alex is from being a starter in the NFL let alone pf the caliber of the players I listed.

I get your argument. Bars is an NFL Olineman. I'm not disagreeing that he has that upside... I simply think that Eich, Kraemer, Nelson, Hainsey and maybe even McGlinchey will be beter players during their career at ND.

You're the one bent out of shape about it. You a friend of the kid or something?

Bars will be an NFL draft pick, so I'd say you're understating by quite a bit.

Limit your phrasing to "rSo Bars, coming off an injury, in his 1st year starting" and then you're best/worst description at least comes close to holding water
Time will tell.

Friendly wager that Alex grades out as the 3rd best OL on his own Oline in 2017?.. McGlinchey (despite his false starts last year) and Nelson are better players.

For the record, I don't need to resort to anything in order to have a football conversation with you. Ever.

You're the one suggesting that the kid is really good based on nothing but a year's worth of ok play, and some made by coaches that you then distant yourself from once someones poi ts out how premature those comments were and how far Alex is from being a starter in the NFL let alone pf the caliber of the players I listed.

I get your argument. Bars is an NFL Olineman. I'm not disagreeing that he has that upside... I simply think that Eich, Kraemer, Nelson, Hainsey and maybe even McGlinchey will be beter players during their career at ND.

You're the one bent out of shape about it. You a friend of the kid or something?

Friendly wager to the post I was responding to, obviously. Try to keep up buddy.
(in case your reading skills are still failing you, that would be "Eichenburg beating out Bars")

But you clearly need to rely on quite a bit to try and have a conversation, because this one is simply over your head

1. I pointed out what I claimed (Bars is an NFL caliber OL, and will continue to maintain his starting position as an OT on our OL, because of that quality)

2. I pointed out the positions of coaches who actually see each of these players on a daily basis
(Bars is the best OL prospect that Kelly and/or Heistand has ever coached, including Martin, Stanley, and McGlinchey)

3. I pointed out the reality of his play this year, especially relative to the sitaution, as a contrast to your inaccurate statements.

4. I simply laughed at your assertions that OLs that have never taken a CFB snap are better OLs than Bars
(though I love your current hedge of "may eventually develop into better players")

Like I said.....keep trying little buddy!!

It's funny how you resort to hyperbole because you're no longer able to handle a discussion.

I said the Bars in a future NFL. That's me.

Kelly and Heistand, the coaches who see him (and their former prospects) every single day are the ones that put him in the discussion with Martin, Stanley, and McGlinchey.
So you're laughable rant isn't about my conclusions.....it's about theirs.

And no one said that he would be drafted higher than Stanley or have more Pro-Bowls than Martin.....just that he's a better OL prospect than either one was at the same point in their careers.

Additionally, he performed fairly well in his 1st full year as a starter, given the circumstances
(position change, coming off an injury, as a 1st Year starter)

That's why I pointed out that your criticisms were incorrect and not support by those that are actually in the "know"

Keep trying though buddy!
The right side was below average last year. Nelson had a solid year. Everyone else was average at best. I expect significant improvement next year with some changes.

Friendly wager to the post I was responding to, obviously. Try to keep up buddy.
(in case your reading skills are still failing you, that would be "Eichenburg beating out Bars")

But you clearly need to rely on quite a bit to try and have a conversation, because this one is simply over your head
Oh please, you re not in IIO s league when it comes to the intricacies of the game. What s your pedigree ? I know his and its extensive and polished.

No. I just said it would t surprise me. saw liam live on more than one occasion. I believe his ceiling higher.

Glad that you realized the foolishness of your comment and are ready to publicly back off of it.
Quite wise.

Liam has a very high ceiling

But he has absolutely no chance at beating out Bars. Literally a 0% chance.
(his only hope his that Bars is removed from his path by an injury)

Eichenberg has a great ceiling, due to his fantastic frame, quality athleticism, and apparently strong mentality for the game.

But his lack of major CFB ready strength and technique will keep him from ever seriously competing with Bars, while both are at ND.

Eichenberg reminds me a lot of a Stanely or McGlinchey type of player (Lugg does as well).
Both have fantastic tools, but will need a little time to develop before showing all of that quality....and that time will keep him from ever unseating Bars

The right side was below average last year. Nelson had a solid year. Everyone else was average at best. I expect significant improvement next year with some changes.

RG was terrible last year. It lacked quality play to start with, and then it was an injury-bugged turn-style.

The right side of the line should improve a ton by adding in a "now older" Kreamer, Hoge, or Ruhland at RG

Oh please, you re not in IIO s league when it comes to the intricacies of the game. What s your pedigree ? I know his and its extensive and polished.

Ahh yes the old:
"I can't counter what you're saying so 'Who the hell are you' argument"

Your ability to handle the discussion is really quite impressive.

What will you go with next?
I can list out the standard options for you:
1. "Shut up. I don't really care anyways"
2. "I was just trolling"
3. [Fail to respond to substantive comments, like a scared little girl]

I'm excited to see what you choose!

Decker-IIO's knowledge and expertise on this board is indisputable.

You really know your stuff too, but you're getting close to the line w the aggressive and personal messages. You guys could have a great great football convo. The quality levels on this board go up when guys like you are talking football.

FWIW- I remember Kelly and HH being really optimistic about Bars. Let's hope he's having a great and healthy off season.

I just want to see our offensive line dominate. We have great talent and depth. No excuses. They should be bullies on the field

Reactions: IrishMike409
I just want to see our offensive line dominate. We have great talent and depth. No excuses. They should be bullies on the field
Totally agree. With Adams and Dex and the OL- we should be able to run up and down the field. Impose our will, bully people, and dominate in the trenches.

I have no problem with a 4 deep at RB of Adams, Williams, Jones and Holmes, with McIntosh as the swing guy between WR and RB in case of injury. 5 RB is plenty deep in modern CFB.

I don't know why we would want to move Crawford (if he's even healthy) out of a a competitve situation on a defense that badly needs development and improvement.

Give me a of...

Field corner: Crawford / Love
Boundary corner: Watkins / Vaughn
Swing corner (5th man): Pride

Move White and Coleman to safety i the spring and see who is the better fit. The better one stays there for depth and the loser of that battle moves back to CB as the 6th corner... injury aside, because it's impossible to predict you have something like...

FC: Crawford / Love / Pride
BC: Watkins / Vaughn / White
FS: Elliot / Coleman / Robertson
SS: Studstill / Fertitta / Genmark
Rover: Tranquill / Perry / Morgan /Owusu

There has to be depth and competiton.

Had ND landed a Thomas Graham, or even a Russ Yeast, I would have sent Vaughn to FS as well and started him with Elliot as his backup.

Best atarting secondary IMO would be...

BC: Watkins
FS: Vaughn
SS: Studstill
FC: Crawford (if healthy)
Rover: Tranquill

Julian Love is the best DB on the roster . He will start somewhere. IMO he should be a safety ... I hope Vaughn improves at CB because he is along athlete at 6-1 ... Crawford is a player but is he too damaged now ? ... My starting secondary goes like this :

SS Studstill/ Elliott
FS Love/ Robertson
CB Vaughn/ Pride
CB Crawford

Julian Love is the best DB on the roster . He will start somewhere. IMO he should be a safety ... I hope Vaughn improves at CB because he is along athlete at 6-1 ... Crawford is a player but is he too damaged now ? ... My starting secondary goes like this :

SS Studstill/ Elliott
FS Love/ Robertson
CB Vaughn/ Pride
CB Crawford
I love Julian (pun intended). His hudl tape is unreal I had no idea how he wasn't a high 4 star. But yes I would no doubt start him at the other safety spot. Elliott doesn't make me confident at all. Maybe he will switch to safety but who knows

No way is JLove anything but a cover corner. Kid is another Bobby Taylor. He plays the run for TFL and has the speed to cover the best receiver. Move somebody else to safety.

No way is JLove anything but a cover corner. Kid is another Bobby Taylor. He plays the run for TFL and has the speed to cover the best receiver. Move somebody else to safety.
Who do you have in mind moving to safety? I have 0 confidence in some guys on the roster being starters. Love played strong safety (along with corner and LB) in high school and tackled like a monster. If I'm the coach I put him at safety and have a starting backfield of Crawford Watkins/Vaughn at corner and Studstill Love at safety. I'd prefer Love at corner but that leaves a huge hole at safety. Although it doesn't look as of now he's moving but we both know things happen

Cover corners are rare and you dont move Neon Deion to safety. Kid was a frosh AA at corner. Are you related
to BVG?

Cover corners are rare and you dont move Neon Deion to safety. Kid was a frosh AA at corner. Are you related
to BVG?
I don't think he is a Bobby Taylor type of player physically. Taylot was a 6-1 rangy guy with great cover skills .. Love a a very versatile player . He can easily move to the FS position and make that a strength in the pass defense game. he can tackle well which makes him a perfect fit. I compare him more to a Mike Mitchell of the steelers then a Deon sanders . The coaches decisions will speak to our opinions . I really think the secondary over the middle has to be able to make plays ... break up passes etc. I don't see anyone on this roster right now based on last year able to do that.

I would like to see CJ Sanders get reps at running back. But after seeing our recruiting class I think Shawn Crawford should be moved to slot receiver. I also think a big running back or blocking back needs to emerge for goal line red zone offense even if we have to insert a tight end as a blocker. If we can dominate on offense it will take pressure off the D. We have a good amount of DBs so moving Crawford wont hurt. With our big offensive line, great tight ends, and 4 star wideouts, adding the element of pure speed along with Stepherson will give the offense high octane. It would be very hard to defend this multidimensional offense especially when you consider the athleticism of Wimbush.

we all expect the offense to carry the team; but, and there is always a but, what position or position group on the offense is so settled that we should expect dominance?
There is at least 1 new member of each position group. The offense may not gel right out of the gate.

Dbs. Watkins, Vaughn, Love and Pride are more than capable of holding down the fort. If you like Crawford that much on D then he can occasionally line up as slot receiver. We need maximum speed on offense to compliment our bigger, taller receivers and tight ends. With Stepherson, Sanders and Crawford sharing the slot other teams DC will have nightmares.
We don't "need" maximum speed on offense.

We "need" help on defense. We "need" our defensive players to stay healthy.

Our problems are on the defensive side of the ball. Our offense is loaded and surely isn't hurting to the point where we'd steal defensive starters over to the offense.

Decker: "Bars is God!!"
Someone else with a dissenting opinion: "He's pretty good, but not that good"
Decker: [Flips out]

Psychotic much??

Decker: "Bars is God!!"
Someone else with a dissenting opinion: "He's pretty good, but not that good"
Decker: [Flips out]

Psychotic much??

Very persuasive.

I can't help but be impressed by the intelligence you've shown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT