ADVERTISEMENT

My changes on offense

hoopsstar12

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 16, 2008
I would like to see CJ Sanders get reps at running back. But after seeing our recruiting class I think Shawn Crawford should be moved to slot receiver. I also think a big running back or blocking back needs to emerge for goal line red zone offense even if we have to insert a tight end as a blocker. If we can dominate on offense it will take pressure off the D. We have a good amount of DBs so moving Crawford wont hurt. With our big offensive line, great tight ends, and 4 star wideouts, adding the element of pure speed along with Stepherson will give the offense high octane. It would be very hard to defend this multidimensional offense especially when you consider the athleticism of Wimbush.

Why would you want to move projected starters to other positions?

Sanders will be the starting slot receiver. He'd be (at best) our 3rd RB. If they want to hand him the ball, they already can by using motion in the back field or use jet sweeps.

Crawford was playing very well before he got hurt. I can't imagine he wouldn't be the starting Nickel or better. Crawford is not better than CJ at slot receiver. So we'd be taking a step back there.

I trust the coaches to place the guys in the best spot for their abilities (maybe Crawford can't catch) and to give the team the best chance to win. Position changes are usually moving the 5th WR to RB to see if he'd do better or maybe moving the 5th WR to DB where he excelled in HS. They aren't about moving starters around unless you have Jabril Peppers or Adoree Jackson.

I would like to see CJ Sanders get reps at running back. But after seeing our recruiting class I think Shawn Crawford should be moved to slot receiver. I also think a big running back or blocking back needs to emerge for goal line red zone offense even if we have to insert a tight end as a blocker. If we can dominate on offense it will take pressure off the D. We have a good amount of DBs so moving Crawford wont hurt. With our big offensive line, great tight ends, and 4 star wideouts, adding the element of pure speed along with Stepherson will give the offense high octane. It would be very hard to defend this multidimensional offense especially when you consider the athleticism of Wimbush.

The only reps at "RB" Sanders would see are on jet sweeps. As for Crawford -- he simply needs to stay healthy -- NO WAY he gets moved to the offensive side of the ball.

Reactions: Pennick44
Dbs. Watkins, Vaughn, Love and Pride are more than capable of holding down the fort. If you like Crawford that much on D then he can occasionally line up as slot receiver. We need maximum speed on offense to compliment our bigger, taller receivers and tight ends. With Stepherson, Sanders and Crawford sharing the slot other teams DC will have nightmares.

Personnally, I disagree with this entirely. Given how Chip Long runs hid offense I'm going...

Base Set (12 personnel)

QB: Wimbush
RB: Adams / Williams / Jones
W: St. Brown / Claypool
X: Stepherson / McKinley
TE (a): Smythe / Wright
TE (ua): Jones / Weishar
LT: McGlinchey
LG: Nelson
C: Mustipher
RG: Bars
RT: Kraemer

- 2 TE's gives you the best lool to run with power and the flexibility to do a lot of things with Jones in the slot. Out of this look you lineup with one attached TE, two attached TE, Alize in the slot and you can invert Stepherson into the slot and put Alize on the perimeter in redzone situations when you want two 6'5 jump ball targets outside. You can even split Smythe out into the opposite slot to get a 2x2 look, and line the back up outside if you want to go 5 wide and empty.

- As a change up you can take eothwr TE out of the game and get different looks. You can take Smythe out as the attached TE and and bring your Sanders into the game in yhe slot for a 2x2 look that features more speed than power. Or you can leave Smythe attached for a 2x2 look with more power in the running game and take Alize out instead. Out of that look you can motion Sanders into the backfield as the 2nd back if you want a two RB look that is "Oregon like".

Having TE's of ND's caliber gives you so many options. Alize, Wright and Kmet really ramp that up.

Yes. Motioning Sanders out of the backfield. I believe Crawford can step in too. He looked pretty fast on the blocked field goal last year. With the big powerful line, a speedy back can find the holes and be gone very quickly. Our main stable of backs can provide the short yardage gains with the occasional burst. We should load up on offense because that is our athletic advantage. Remember Navy beat us because they controlled the ball.

Yes. Motioning Sanders out of the backfield. I believe Crawford can step in too. He looked pretty fast on the blocked field goal last year. With the big powerful line, a speedy back can find the holes and be gone very quickly. Our main stable of backs can provide the short yardage gains with the occasional burst. We should load up on offense because that is our athletic advantage. Remember Navy beat us because they controlled the ball.

"Our main stable of backs can provide the short yardage gains with the occasional burst"

I think one the main RB's - Adams - has the burst to go the distance as well. I think he proved that a few times already. I also think another back -- Williams -- has the burst to go the distance as well.

I have no problem with a 4 deep at RB of Adams, Williams, Jones and Holmes, with McIntosh as the swing guy between WR and RB in case of injury. 5 RB is plenty deep in modern CFB.

I don't know why we would want to move Crawford (if he's even healthy) out of a a competitve situation on a defense that badly needs development and improvement.

Give me a of...

Field corner: Crawford / Love
Boundary corner: Watkins / Vaughn
Swing corner (5th man): Pride

Move White and Coleman to safety i the spring and see who is the better fit. The better one stays there for depth and the loser of that battle moves back to CB as the 6th corner... injury aside, because it's impossible to predict you have something like...

FC: Crawford / Love / Pride
BC: Watkins / Vaughn / White
FS: Elliot / Coleman / Robertson
SS: Studstill / Fertitta / Genmark
Rover: Tranquill / Perry / Morgan /Owusu

There has to be depth and competiton.

Had ND landed a Thomas Graham, or even a Russ Yeast, I would have sent Vaughn to FS as well and started him with Elliot as his backup.

Best atarting secondary IMO would be...

BC: Watkins
FS: Vaughn
SS: Studstill
FC: Crawford (if healthy)
Rover: Tranquill

Personnally, I disagree with this entirely. Given how Chip Long runs hid offense I'm going...

Base Set (12 personnel)

- 2 TE's gives you the best lool to run with power and the flexibility to do a lot of things with Jones in the slot. Out of this look you lineup with one attached TE, two attached TE, Alize in the slot and you can invert Stepherson into the slot and put Alize on the perimeter in redzone situations when you want two 6'5 jump ball targets outside. You can even split Smythe out into the opposite slot to get a 2x2 look, and line the back up outside if you want to go 5 wide and empty.

- As a change up you can take eothwr TE out of the game and get different looks. You can take Smythe out as the attached TE and and bring your Sanders into the game in yhe slot for a 2x2 look that features more speed than power. Or you can leave Smythe attached for a 2x2 look with more power in the running game and take Alize out instead. Out of that look you can motion Sanders into the backfield as the 2nd back if you want a two RB look that is "Oregon like".

Having TE's of ND's caliber gives you so many options. Alize, Wright and Kmet really ramp that up.
Your posts are next level. For someone like me: just a fan, never played, these are especially insightful and beneficial. Thanks again!

Coleman needs to get better at the slot or Fink will surpass him
No way will Crawford play on offense. Much too valuable If he can stay healthy.

Base Set (12 personnel)

The idea of having Claypool 6'41/2, Jones 6'5, and St Brown 6'5 available in the red zone and on the field at one time is a defensive coordinators nightmare. I am very interested to see how the use of TE's change. I would expect a lot of 2 te inside the red zone and a reduction in slot wr ie Sanders. Sanders will be the big threat guy when marching down the field, but with the wealth of TEs i cannot imagine his volume would stay the same or increase.

Coleman needs to get better at the slot or Fink will surpass him
No way will Crawford play on offense. Much too valuable If he can stay healthy.

If by Coleman you meant Sanders, I agree. But If Finke is the more productive player, sign me up. Stars go out the window when you line up and play. Obviously you recruit the best players because they have the highest development potential, but I have no problem with the coaches playing the former walk on over the former consensus 4 star if Finke ia better.

Hell, Alabama's vaunted 5 star studded defense was completely tortured by Hunter Renfrow in the Natty Game. For the record, Runfrow was a former 2 star, 5'10, 160lb QB in South Carolina, whose best offer was App State, then Wofford.

If thw kid can play, line him up.

Reactions: NDIRISH53
We don't have enough talent to compete with the elite teams on defense. We have to be dominant on offense. Julian Love was voted to the all freshman team if i am correct. Watkins and Vaughn are also starters. We have enough CBs. I realize its a matter of opinion but i am also of the belief that Tillery should come back on offense too. If we put a lot of points on the board and control time of possession that might be our best defense.

NLRB rules private schools football players are employees. What does this mean for the future? USC and ND are affected per ESPN article. Sorry no link.

IIO -- damn, that offense looks exciting and the defensive backfield is finally developing some depth.

What a difference a year makes!

Reactions: Kelso86

Remember, Elko needs big play guys on defense who create takeaways. If Crawford is healthy, he might be our best. You can't move a 5'8 inch guy to offense where the slot is being deemphasized and his skills on defense are at a premium. Too small for RB plus we have good ones already. I can't see even see Sanders in the backfield except for some gimmick formation to cause confusion.

Reactions: Kelso86

Base Set (12 personnel)

Flip flop bars and Kraemer. Kraemer is a born stud guard.

Reactions: NDIRISH53
Flip flop bars and Kraemer. Kraemer is a born stud guard.
Agree to that. I don't think he's a natural tackle + bars at 6'6 impressed at T last year. It should be a competition between Hoge/Kraemer this offseason and unless Hoge turned into a complete beast I expect Kraemer to take the job

Bars struggled with pass rushers off the edge last year. Maybe a full year removed from the injury he'll be fully mobile, but we'll see.

Echo,

I agree that if Bars can handle the edge, Kraemer's best spot is guard. I simply slotted him at tackle because I'm concerned that Bars will struggle on the edge.

Bars struggled with pass rushers off the edge last year. Maybe a full year removed from the injury he'll be fully mobile, but we'll see.

Echo,

I agree that if Bars can handle the edge, Kraemer's best spot is guard. I simply slotted him at tackle because I'm concerned that Bars will struggle on the edge.
I always thought that is bars could lose 10-15 pounds he would handle speed off the edge a lot better. I don't think kraemer has a tackle body type but then again I'm not an offensive line coach so we shall see. Kraemer reminds me of Nelson in some sense

Didn't anyone see my post where ND and other private schools can potentially pay players? Is this legit? Or even fair?

Didn't anyone see my post where ND and other private schools can potentially pay players? Is this legit? Or even fair?
This rule mostly affects medical issues via Work Comp laws. If applied an injured player could receive lifetime medical care for serious injuries and compensation based on potential lost wages.

I always thought that is bars could lose 10-15 pounds he would handle speed off the edge a lot better. I don't think kraemer has a tackle body type but then again I'm not an offensive line coach so we shall see. Kraemer reminds me of Nelson in some sense

Neither did Zack Martin, but he didn't surrender a sack in nearly his final two of playing LT for ND. At the college level you can away with having 6'4 and 6'5 tackles if they are elite football players.

FWIW, my dream offensive line in 2019 would be...

LT: Liam Eichenberg (SR)- 6'6
LG: Tommy Kraemer (SR)- 6'5
C: Robert Hainsey (JR)- 6'4
RG: Aaron Banks (JR)- 6'5
RT: Josh Lugg (JR)- 6'6

All 5 of those guys are future studs and all of them all tall, prototype NFL OL, with 310+lb frames.

Echo,

I think you're pretty far off base here.

Bars had a few rough spots, but he was pretty solid overall. In his first ear as a starter, moving from OG to OT, and coming off a major injury......that's pretty solid.

I don't see any reasonable chance that Bars gets moved from OT unless he suffers another significant injury.
And in that case, I think Kreamer still remains at OG and Eichenberg or Bivin (depending on Eichenberg's development) will end up stepping in at RT.

Bars is a high quality player and I believe he'll end up as another NFL OL from ND
(though he may play OG in the NFL, after years starting at OT for ND)

Bars had a few rough spots, but he was pretty solid overall. In his first ear as a starter, moving from OG to OT, and coming off a major injury......that's pretty solid.

I don't see any reasonable chance that Bars gets moved from OT unless he suffers another significant injury.
And in that case, I think Kreamer still remains at OG and Eichenberg or Bivin (depending on Eichenberg's development) will end up stepping in at RT.

Bars is a high quality player and I believe he'll end up as another NFL OL from ND
Why no love for Hoge??? I think he can get in 2 deep ,if not start.

Not hating on Alex, I simply don't think he graded out well last year. First year starter, coming off an injury certainly gives him an excuse, I just think his best spot would be at guard of ND had a tackle ready to push him inside. Unfortunately, I don't think that's the case.

I have Hoge starting at RG in 2018 as a senior and returning for a 5th year in 2019.

RG: Kraemer
RT: Bars

LT: Eichenberg
LG: Kraemer
RG: Hoge
RT: Bars / Lugg

C: Hoge / Hainsey
RG: Hoge / Hainsey
RT: Lugg

I have Hoge starting at RG in 2018 as a senior and returning for a 5th year in 2019.

RG: Kraemer
RT: Bars

RG: Hoge
RT: Bars / Lugg

C: Hoge / Hainsey
RG: Hoge / Hainsey
RT: Lugg
IIO- can the Kraemer/Eichenberg combo be as good as McGlinchey/Nelson?

He's definitely in the 2-Deep, and could definitely start.

The competition would likely be for Center or Right Guard, so he would either have to beat out an incumbent (Mustipher) for Center or a pair of elite prospects in Kreamer and Eichenberg for the OG spot. Not to mention fending off guys like Bivin and Ruhland for the OG spot as well.

There are a lot of possibilities for who the 5th OL will be (and potentially the 4th OL too, as you point out that Mustipher could be unseated)

Not hating on Alex, I simply don't think he graded out well last year. First year starter, coming off an injury certainly gives him an excuse, I just think his best spot would be at guard of ND had a tackle ready to push him inside. Unfortunately, I don't think that's the case.

I strongly disagree.

Bars is a natural OT, he's easily the 2nd best athlete we have along the OL , and is only slgnt behind McGlinchey in that respect.

Both Kelly and Heistand have called Bars the best OT prospect that they've coached in years
(And they've coached Zach Martin, Ronnie Stanley, and Mike McGlinchey)

I strongly disagree.

Bars is a natural OT, he's easily the 2nd best athlete we have along the OL , and is only slgnt behind McGlinchey in that respect.

Both Kelly and Heistand have called Bars the best OT prospect that they've coached in years
(And they've coached Zach Martin, Ronnie Stanley, and Mike McGlinchey)

Those comments were made about Bars as a freshman, not to mention Kelly has a history of really talking up his players. Some of those guys have developed into elite players and others not so much.

If your assertion is that Alex Bars is going to be better than a multi year captain, 4 year starting left tackle who was drafted 16th overall after not surrending a sack for 2 years and who ended up becoming All Pro as a rookie in the NFL, or the 1st overall lineman taken in the NFL Draft, a top 10 pick, I think your expectations are out of proportion. Among ND OL I think that McGlinchey, Nelson, Kraemer, Eichenberg and Hainsey will all be better than Bars and Josh Lugg could be as well.

I think Alex is a good player and I think ND is happy to have him, but, IMO, and I'll surely reach out to you down the road to eat crow if I'm wrong, he isn't the same caliber of player as at least two of those three players that you mentioned him in the same conversation as.... Very much hope I'm wrong. Would love to see him come out of this winter conditioning stint, a full year removed from the injury, strong and mobile.

The McGlinchey/Nelson combo is talented...but hasn't actually been all that good yet

Agreed on this. INDIVIDUALLY, they have been excellent at times and have struggled at times. Rarely last year did they play at a high level at the same time.

He's definitely in the 2-Deep, and could definitely start.

The competition would likely be for Center or Right Guard, so he would either have to beat out an incumbent (Mustipher) for Center or a pair of elite prospects in Kreamer and Eichenberg for the OG spot. Not to mention fending off guys like Bivin and Ruhland for the OG spot as well.

There are a lot of possibilities for who the 5th OL will be (and potentially the 4th OL too, as you point out that Mustipher could be unseated)
Don't believe Mustipher will lose job. Despite snapping issues, I think he is quite good. I am sure he will improve on shotgun snaps.

Don't believe Mustipher will lose job. Despite snapping issues, I think he is quite good. I am sure he will improve on shotgun snaps.
Side note: I hate how everyone gave BK sh*t for flipping on mustipher for his poor snapping. We saw outside of the hurricane game he is a poor snapper. This alone could cost him his job + I see a lack of self confidence. I fully expect a Hoge mustipher battle this offseason

Reactions: Kelso86 and mirer03
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT