ADVERTISEMENT

Most Clutch moments in ND history

ZORO50

ND Expert
Dec 28, 2008
I’m only 41 so I didn’t witness
Clements to Robin Weber
but that basket and considering the UConn beater has to be right up near the top

Wow!

Dwight Murphy's shot to beat UCLA's 88 game winning streak was sure a clutch moment!

Dwight Murphy's shot to beat UCLA's 88 game winning streak was sure a clutch moment!

Dwight Clay. (Edit: And I'd have to add that Clay's shot ended the UCLA wnning streak, but Arike's shots got us to the championship game and then won it for us.)

Last edited:
In my younger days it was all about football. UK and the NBA served as background noise for me. I never considered ND having a basketball team, even though UK played ND from time to time, until one Saturday afternoon ND vs #1 UCLA on NBC. The game was real intense between UCLA and Austin Carr; in an Enberg moment, after a beautiful shot by Carr from the baseline he screams, "They can't stop Austin Carr!" The day that I discovered ND played basketball remains the #1 non football moment for me. I saw ND as more than a football power. I began to embrace ND! I am extremely proud of our ladies and GO IRISH!!!

"It had been 1,092 days since UCLA had lost. That loss had come in South Bend to Notre Dame, an 89-82 Irish victory in which Irish All-America guard Austin Carr scored 46 points, including 15 of Notre Dame's last 17. It would be the most points scored by an individual against a John Wooden-coached team."

http://www.und.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/011714aaf.html

In my younger days it was all about football. UK and the NBA served as background noise for me. I never considered ND having a basketball team, even though UK played ND from time to time, until one Saturday afternoon ND vs #1 UCLA on NBC. The game was real intense between UCLA and Austin Carr; in an Enberg moment, after a beautiful shot by Carr from the baseline he screams, "They can't stop Austin Carr!" The day that I discovered ND played basketball remains the #1 non football moment for me. I saw ND as more than a football power. I began to embrace ND! I am extremely proud of our ladies and GO IRISH!!!

"It had been 1,092 days since UCLA had lost. That loss had come in South Bend to Notre Dame, an 89-82 Irish victory in which Irish All-America guard Austin Carr scored 46 points, including 15 of Notre Dame's last 17. It would be the most points scored by an individual against a John Wooden-coached team."

Actually, Austin Carr had long since graduated when we snapped the UCLA winning streak that article refers to. However, he did lead ND to the big win over UCLA his senior year that you probably remember watching. That game is an important footnote, though, because I believe that after that loss, UCLA started its 88-game winning streak. I also believe they snapped their own best winning streak (47 game?) against ND and also broke the previous record of 60 games held by Bill Russell's San Francisco games against ND I also think all the games were played at ND. The '74 team was led by John Schumate, Gary Brokow and Dwight Clay.

People like to think that ND basketball started with Digger Phelps, but we are actually #8 on the all-time wins list in that sport.

Last edited:

It's almost like the Notre Dame is located in Indiana. I'd say the basketball team has been better than the football team for some time now. Hopefully one can break through and match the ladies. What a weekend for the team and Arike.

The article actually started by talking about the lose that set up the 88 game win streak.

"From Jan. 23, 1971, when ND’s Austin Carr scored 46 points in an 89-81 win, until almost three years later to the day, UCLA won 88 straight college basketball contests. The Bruins' average margin was 23.5 points. Bill Walton, the indomitable force as those teams’ literal and figurative center, had not lost a game since his prep career at Helix High in San Diego."

The article actually started by talking about the lose that set up the 88 game win streak.

"From Jan. 23, 1971, when ND’s Austin Carr scored 46 points in an 89-81 win, until almost three years later to the day, UCLA won 88 straight college basketball contests. The Bruins' average margin was 23.5 points. Bill Walton, the indomitable force as those teams’ literal and figurative center, had not lost a game since his prep career at Helix High in San Diego."

Yeah, when I read your post over, I realized you were referring to the earlier game. Although I knew about ND's basketball team, I was hooked when I saw the Irish knock off Marquette in a high scoring game at home in what I think was Carr's junior year.

As a Kentucky fan, I'm surprised you didn't know we used to play Kentucky every year on a "neutral" court in Louisville on account that Rupp wouldn't bring his team to ND's old fieldhouse because ND put the band behind the visiting team's bench and his team couldn't hear him during timeouts!

i'm 47 and arike's performance this weekend was the greatest I've ever seen one player have on final four weekend in my lifetime on the mens and womens side with two game winning shots against the two teams that seemed to be favorited to play each other for the title

Arike's weekend rivals stuff that Joe Montana did in 1978 for volume of clutch moments

Reactions: justified1
Greatest clutch moments ,Clements to Weber . Deep in our own territory ,Clements doesn't make that pass , we don 't win a football NC

Also Arike Ogunbowale 2 last second shots beating UConn and MSU , wins a NC in Women's basketball . Montana 's come back against Houston or ND basketball stopping UCLA 88 game winning streak were great clutch moments , but they weren't for championships

2012 goal line stand vs. Stanford was pretty remarkable. Propelled us to the title game.

Boykin's catch vs. LSU was also pretty clutch.

Reactions: Ara64
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT