ADVERTISEMENT

Lombardi aND What Could Have Been. A Tale of Greatness Lost Part One

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
Caution - This is a long read

I had a thought - every now and then these still come to me, even at my age. A wild hair some call it. I decided to write a short story about a theory I came up with. A theory that was all based around the idea of "what if?"

And it centered on examining the down years of our beloved University. Let's call those years 1954 thru 1963.

I wondered 'what if?' in1954 ND had hired another Frank Leahy?

What a powerhouse, what a story that would have made.

Today the all time ND wins might be very different, out distancing the closest school, Michigan by a healthy margin. As it turned out, a winning tradition was derailed for a lost decade that tallied 10 seasons -- 51 wins 48 losses With the right coach, the decade could have been 91 wins and 8 losses Instead of the all time record of 882-310-42, we might be looking at 922-270-42

Too ambitious a projection, to unrealistic? Read further before issuing judgment.

Sure, the parallels can be drawn again to the years 1996 through 2005, but I chose to examine one mistake at a time. And that mistake, that lack of thoroughness in picking the head coach of ND football first occurred in 1954.

Some may argue the following statement is no longer true. Fair enough. But the erosion of the essence of the next sentence validates the impact of the down years of 1954-1963 and 1996 through 2005.

In 1954, as now, the head coaching job at Notre Dame was the epitome of it all; it was the holy grail of collegiate coaching for Holtz, Leahy, Urban Myer and countless others.

And as it turns out -- even a young Vincent Lombardi coveted it perhaps more than all of them.

And I swear, that my original idea, my premise to look at the lost decade of ND football and asking what if ND hired a certain coach from New Jersey in 1954 -- was an original thought. Cynics will say my subconscious thoughts are a factor. Perhaps this is coincidental and maybe it is not original as I am not the first to think of this. But .....

I don't know about all that but I was totally surprised to find the factual story that supports my tale. A fact, a story that supports my story and makes it not just a tale, but a TRUE TALE.

I hope in this off season, you enjoy it. Grab some Joe and read on…..

And so it begins. A tale of truth with some liberties taken for the benefit of storytelling.
This post was edited on 2/20 4:11 AM by theskibro

Yeah, but if Lombardi came to Notre Dame, my childhood of cheering for the Packers would never have been.

And, no, I haven't read your piece yet, but I'll get to it tonight when I'm not supposed to be working.

Could have had many coaches.....

Should have interviewed Nick Saban,,,Devoult Catholic, Great coach....etc....Hello Jerry Faust....Nice guy but not a College coach....Although it still would depend on what players he had on Campus...Don't know if Lombardi was up to the job at the time.....

Re: Could have had many coaches.....

Ski, very good read. Thanks for putting together. There is a great book about Lombardi - called - "When Pride Still Mattered" Great book and One of the all time best ever coaches.

Cant even imagine how good ND would of been had they of hired him in 53.

Just goes to show how important that HC hire is for a school. We had some real misses on head coaches. BK is still a ? This year will tell a lot about him as a coach. He has a loaded roster w/ talent.

The fact that ND has had the 4th or 5th most NFL combine invites the last 3 years - quite frankly - means we have been underperforming in the W/L column the last few years.

No more excuses - every team has injuries - you need to overcome them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT