ADVERTISEMENT

Leary

Notre Dame du Lac

Posts Like A Champion
Oct 9, 2021
There’s been some social media follows from staff.

For those wondering about his timeline to return:

-Injured right pectoral muscle, throwing shoulder, during game on 10/8.

-Traveled to Florida to undergo surgery with renowned Dr James Andrews on 10/17.

-Typical pec injury takes 3-4 months, but his timeline due to throwing is 4-6 months per Dr Andrews. Patterson tore his the first week of March and was full go for fall practice starting 8/5, approx 5 months post surgery.

-Return would therefore fall between 2/17 and 4/17.

-2022 spring practice schedule started after spring break (3/5-3/13) on 3/17 culminating with Blue Gold game on 4/23.

-2023 spring schedule could be estimated to start after spring break - 3/4-3/12 - on the first Thursday, 3/16, and end 5 weeks later on 4/22 for the game.

-Leary would be post surgery 5 months on 3/17, at the start of spring practice.

We need to get Leary
I basically agree with you on this one. His injury is a concern considering he might not be ready for spring ball, but even if he was a bust, we have good QB's. He's a gamble, but a good gamble considering he is a needle mover and there aren't any other needle movers going to the portal at QB. I also think he would be an excellent guy for Minchey to be around.

I still think the staff is treading lightly with transfer QB's until December 21 comes and goes. No reason to scare off Minchey or make any bone headed moves prematurely. They clearly don't care about McNamara. Priority number 1 is keeping Peyton Bowen right now for the staff and likely making sure there is no wavering from prized guys like Greathouse or Love. Once the pen hits paper, gotta go all out for Leary. Minchey will be on campus in 6 weeks or so. New student orientation is January 15. Minchey might not even care about Leary, but I doubt the staff pushes too hard until after singing day.

Last edited:
I still think the staff is treading lightly with transfer QB's until December 21 comes and goes. No reason to scare off Minchey or make any bone headed moves prematurely. They clearly don't care about McNamara. Priority number 1 is keeping Peyton Bowen right now for the staff and likely making sure there is no wavering from prized guys like Greathouse or Love. Once the pen hits paper, gotta go all out for Leary. Minchey will be on campus in 6 weeks or so. New student orientation is January 15. Minchey might not even care about Leary, but I doubt the staff pushes too hard until after singing day.
Do what other teams do to attract impact transfers and elite players. Offer him immediate significant money before he steps on campus. 7 figures minimum.

In 21 he was 35-5, in 22 before his injury he was 11-4 in 6 games. If he’s not coming back to NC State he should just declare for the NFL draft.

In 21 he was 35-5, in 22 before his injury he was 11-4 in 6 games. If he’s not coming back to NC State he should just declare for the NFL draft.
I have said the same. Leary will soon be 24-years-old, and if he is as good as everyone says, why would he risk further injury in CFB........I would think he will declare NFL?

I have said the same. Leary will soon be 24-years-old, and if he is as good as everyone says, why would he risk further injury and simply declare NFL?
Hartman has to be a consideration. As does Card and maybe even Ewers. Manning is going to cause a lot of problems for Texas. Ewers has 1 more year as starting QB and he might realize he's wasting his time with Texas. If Ewers stays, I expect he will be in the portal after next season.

My thinking is a little bipolar on this one. First, I agree that Leary would be the best possible QB for us to get via the portal. He would be a really good fit here. On the other hand, we enter next year with Pyne, Angeli, Buchner, and Minchey; and while we know what we get in Pyne, the other three are unknown quantities at this level. The peek we got of Buchner for six quarters was not terribly encouraging, and relying on someone with his injury history is beyond risky. Still, the potential for something special is there. Unlike many here that dismiss Angeli because of his star rating and level of competition, I see a good sized young man with a very strong arm, who shows glimpses of being able to make all the throws, and who is an above average North and South runner. And true freshman Minchey is a really good get, someone with all the tools, both physical and mental, to be successful at this level. Given his pocket calm and elite accuracy, I think he can legitimately compete for starting at this level as a true freshman.

So, I fall on the side that getting Leary would be a great addition and damn near perfect fit. He would be the presumptive starter day one, in spite of coachspeak about competition and Pyne being the starter until someone beats him out, etc…. There will be consequences of transfer, etc…. But, if we don’t get Leary or Card out of Texas, I like our QB room going forward, and will be happy to see who emerges. My fear and reservation is that Rees will be Kelly like, and Give too much preference to experience, and we might start the year with Pyne as out starting QB. We can and will win with Pyne, but his limitations are not going to improve, and we know what this means as to how the better teams will defend against us. Going to be a fun Spring, but as Du Lac stated, let’s keep Our current 23 commits together and get their ink on paper, first and foremost.

Reactions: d1042
My thinking is a little bipolar on this one. First, I agree that Leary would be the best possible QB for us to get via the portal. He would be a really good fit here. On the other hand, we enter next year with Pyne, Angeli, Buchner, and Minchey; and while we know what we get in Pyne, the other three are unknown quantities at this level. The peek we got of Buchner for six quarters was not terribly encouraging, and relying on someone with his injury history is beyond risky. Still, the potential for something special is there. Unlike many here that dismiss Angeli because of his star rating and level of competition, I see a good sized young man with a very strong arm, who shows glimpses of being able to make all the throws, and who is an above average North and South runner. And true freshman Minchey is a really good get, someone with all the tools, both physical and mental, to be successful at this level. Given his pocket calm and elite accuracy, I think he can legitimately compete for starting at this level as a true freshman.

So, I fall on the side that getting Leary would be a great addition and damn near perfect fit. He would be the presumptive starter day one, in spite of coachspeak about competition and Pyne being the starter until someone beats him out, etc…. There will be consequences of transfer, etc…. But, if we don’t get Leary or Card out of Texas, I like our QB room going forward, and will be happy to see who emerges. My fear and reservation is that Rees will be Kelly like, and Give too much preference to experience, and we might start the year with Pyne as out starting QB. We can and will win with Pyne, but his limitations are not going to improve, and we know what this means as to how the better teams will defend against us. Going to be a fun Spring, but as Du Lac stated, let’s keep Our current 23 commits together and get their ink on paper, first and foremost.
At this point, I would be completely happy with brining in a guy like Leary or Hartman and letting Buchner leave if he decides to do so. I think between Minchey, Carr and I guess maybe Angeli, we have our future starters. We just need a bridge.

At this point, I would be completely happy with brining in a guy like Leary or Hartman and letting Buchner leave if he decides to do so. I think between Minchey, Carr and I guess maybe Angeli, we have our future starters. We just need a bridge.
I realize you are not a Tommy Rees fan, that said, what do you believe Tommy Rees and Marcus Freeman will do regarding the QB position over the next 8 weeks or so?

Yes, all you QB experts. Really get a kick how knowledgeable you all are in regards to QB play. you make judgement on little game time experience of the QBs in house . Know that Pyne has reached his top after ten games started. Know nothing about the skill set of QB play . Make decisions without ever seeing hundreds of practices etc.

What's beginning to annoy me with the peanut gallery on the subject of QBs is why is TB considered to be injury-prone. Isn't this season's shoulder injury his only injury? Unless they're counting his little slipped on a banana peel injury as being injury prone, which they presumably are......

He's a really good player. We'd be lucky to land him
After Buchner being injury prone, the last QB ND should be grabbing from the portal is a QB that's coming off an injury. No thanks.

I have said the same. Leary will soon be 24-years-old, and if he is as good as everyone says, why would he risk further injury in CFB........I would think he will declare NFL?
Who cares how old he is. If he enters the portal we need to get him

Who cares how old he is. If he enters the portal we need to get him
When you are soon to be 24, you have graduated, and have NFL talent, I simply asked why in the heck would he risk further injury playing on Saturdays. Go get paid.

So I guess Devin Leary also qualifies as someone who's seemingly a significantly step up enough to be worth ND's while to want as a grad transfer QB. After all he was considered a top NFL prospect heading into this season.

So what's the buzz on Leary? Is there talk that he wants to transfer, or is he just going to the NFL, where unlike Sam Hartman who I'm thinking is more of an NFL long shot, or at least unknown, Leary would appear to be a lock of a high likelihood to be drafted in the first few rounds. So why would he come back to college if he's going to be a 2nd/3rd/4th round pick?

When you are soon to be 24, you have graduated, and have NFL talent, I simply asked why in the heck would he risk further injury playing on Saturdays. Go get paid.
Who cares if you're a ND fan? If he's available go get him

Who cares if you're a ND fan? If he's available go get him
Are you dense?

Of course Notre Dame wants him, so will everyone else.

At age 24 Leary should declare NFL, go get paid, and start his adult life if he is as good as people say he is.

Minchey might start as a Fr. Buckner might bethe assumed starter but He is an injury waiting to happen. All around Minchey is equal to or better. Pyne or TB are portal possibilities. It will take guts to start Minchey, but it has the most upside! and-the most downside. Is ‘meh’ the goal? or are you going for the brass ring?

What's beginning to annoy me with the peanut gallery on the subject of QBs is why is TB considered to be injury-prone. Isn't this season's shoulder injury his only injury? Unless they're counting his little slipped on a banana peel injury as being injury prone, which they presumably are......
Torn ACL, Ankle, Shoulder. He also got hurt last year and missed a week or two if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: Airzee23
Minchey might start as a Fr. Buckner might bethe assumed starter but He is an injury waiting to happen. All around Minchey is equal to or better. Pyne or TB are portal possibilities. It will take guts to start Minchey, but it has the most upside! and-the most downside. Is ‘meh’ the goal? or are you going for the brass ring?
I would not be against starting Minchey, but Rees won't do it.

he also missed a season of high school with a torn ACL

he also missed a season of high school with a torn ACL
He did? I thought it was covid. You mean his sophomore yr of HS? Because that's what it would have to be. He played and was a superstar as a Jr, and his senior yr was canceled. So it was as a sophomore that he tore his ACL. I'll go ahead and google that.....

Of course he should. But you are right, who knows?

Why isn't Spencer Rattler entering the NFL Draft? Or is he not Sunday good?
If you aren't guaranteed a top 2 round draft choice. Come back to school, make NIL money, get your degree

Okay, apparently his missed entire sophomore season with an ACL injury, which I guess I didn't realize or remember. And I guess I am sort of remembering that now. Alright, well then maybe he is injury prone. I'm not sure that's an actual thing, and that injuries are mainly just time and chance, and there's no such as being susceptible to injuries unless you are particularly frail, and you sustain repeated injuries to that part of your body that's so inherently frail and/or vulnerable. I think when it comes to the dreaded knee ligament tears, all athletes are about the same level of frail/vulnerable. And that part of the body can go at any time on any player under the right circumstances, and those circumstances are pretty commonly encountered in the sport of tackle football....

So I guess that's that. But the shoulder thing is his first/only football injury while at ND, correct?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT