ADVERTISEMENT

Kelly blames everyone/everything but himself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being way overstated and under-rated.

Posters on here acting like we've got players that need a live aid concert just to get nourished to survive let alone participate.

You can't rave about Balis because you know ....he's only working with athletes who get one cup of water but all must share one tea bag and one pack of crackers.
Holy shit why's he even there. He has no idea what he's doing without a "training table" and a god damn chef.

For christ sake.....
Balis is great at his job. But he's being handcuffed somewhat.

Your hatred for Kelly is clouding your judgement. Take BK out of the equation. This is something we need and sooner rather than later.

It will only help. No negative consequence. It will only improve what Balis has already done. There is no possible argument against it

Reactions: notredamerises23
for not winning at ND. That's a loser mentality, it's not me the leader/CEO, it's the players, lack of a training table, recruiting nationally instead of in state, etc. LSU will soon realize this. Kelly will be gone in 4-5 years His departure was long overdue, and i'm excited for the Freeman era.

Well he is a narcissist !!!

Reactions: NDinNJ
Kelly is right on facilities wrong on dicusising his abilities to win championship

also any time he says student athlete at lsu one must laugh
That's why ND will have a hard time winning a natty we have student athletes.

I'm not even talking about Kelly. You are. I'm talking about something every major college and basketball have and need

This should be corrected immediately for MF.
Anyone who thinks athletes don't gain an edge through proper nutrition need look no further than Tom Brady.

And I was under the impression that Notre Dame had finally dragged its nutrition program into the 20th century early in Kelly's tenure, but I guess not.

Food options

A. Meet, veggies, fruit
B. Chips, bread, sugar

I don’t know why this is so hard for people. There’s enough food on NDs campus to feed the third world. Tell them to eat. ND football players don’t look malnourished or fed wrong. Good food is important, but this is not rocket science. I don’t think a team needs a chef. Sounds dumb. South dining hall has chefs. Hell, when I lived on campus they served prime rib. There are lots of good options.
I think this just shows you never played sports, and that’s ok.

Here’s the issue, athletes at lesser schools miss dinning hall hours most of the time and get far less options and receive a to go meal. Any program with a pulse has a full time training table for football if not other sports as well. If your sport is going to require you to miss Dino hall options they should make up for it not give you minimal leftovers.

Anyone who thinks athletes don't gain an edge through proper nutrition need look no further than Tom Brady.

And I was under the impression that Notre Dame had finally dragged its nutrition program into the 20th century early in Kelly's tenure, but I guess not.
Partially under Weis, not Kelly.

I think this just shows you never played sports, and that’s ok.

Here’s the issue, athletes at lesser schools miss dinning hall hours most of the time and get far less options and receive a to go meal. Any program with a pulse has a full time training table for football if not other sports as well. If your sport is going to require you to miss Dino hall options they should make up for it not give you minimal leftovers.

I already addressed this. Nutrition matters. Football is different in that the players each require different things. I also think football players are less educated about nutrition than other athletes. I’m fine with a chef. It’s not the biggest factor keeping us from winning a playoff game but it’s all part of the big picture.

Not happy how BK left the school hanging but I do believe he will win a title there. I believe the few hurdles that prevented him from winning are removed coaching at a state school in the SEC. JUCO's, classwork, midterms, training tables, arrests, & just recruiting in the South.

for not winning at ND. That's a loser mentality, it's not me the leader/CEO, it's the players, lack of a training table, recruiting nationally instead of in state, etc. LSU will soon realize this. Kelly will be gone in 4-5 years His departure was long overdue, and i'm excited for the Freeman era.

Still blaming Kelly for your problems...

Not happy how BK left the school hanging but I do believe he will win a title there. I believe the few hurdles that prevented him from winning are removed coaching at a state school in the SEC. JUCO's, classwork, midterms, training tables, arrests, & just recruiting in the South.

I think he has little chance. A&M will out recruit him. As will Bama and Georgia. I think he’s 3rd best in the SEC at best. I also think USC and Ohio State will out recruit him. Then there’s ND rising. I don’t think he will and I hope he doesn’t. ND had a better recruiting class in 2022 and has a very good chance at having a better one in 2023 if we land Dante Moore (that will be back to back better classes). While LSU has tremendous in state talent, it’s not going to be enough to out recruit Bama or USC and I wouldn’t be surprised if BK loses that in state talent to Bama and A&M. I think ND can make the playoffs and LSU will get left out. I think the best teams in the next 5 years are as follows…

Bama
A&M
Georgia
USC
Ohio State
LSU
Notre Dame

And don’t count out Dabo’s comeback.

I’d keep LSU near the bottom of that list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rionegro
I dont think the "Chef" was the reason Bama has dominated. It has something to do with a top 5 recruiting class every single year along with a QB, WR and RB that is a Heisman candidate every year. I'm sure those 5 star guys all had chef's in high school. Give me a break. ND has an excellent nutrition program. They have an excellent strength program. Could it provide a small benefit? Maybe, but i doubt Cinci or OKS had a chef when they beat us last year.

I dont think the "Chef" was the reason Bama has dominated. It has something to do with a top 5 recruiting class every single year along with a QB, WR and RB that is a Heisman candidate every year. I'm sure those 5 star guys all had chef's in high school. Give me a break. ND has an excellent nutrition program. They have an excellent strength program. Could it provide a small benefit? Maybe, but i doubt Cinci or OKS had a chef when they beat us last year.

It’s certainly not going to be the big factor that pushes the needle. Recruiting and experience at the HC position are essential. But it can’t hurt.

I just googled Notre Dame football and training table and in 2010 a pilot training table program was started with the football team complete with a nutritionist. Administration looked to expand the t. table to other sports.
I thought Kelly had gotten a training table maybe not the chef that he wanted?

Edit: In 2017, the powers to be discontinued the training table inclusion was mentioned as the reason it was stopped.

Last edited:
I think he has little chance. A&M will out recruit him. As will Bama and Georgia. I think he’s 3rd best in the SEC at best. I also think USC and Ohio State will out recruit him. Then there’s ND rising. I don’t think he will and I hope he doesn’t. ND had a better recruiting class in 2022 and has a very good chance at having a better one in 2023 if we land Dante Moore (that will be back to back better classes). While LSU has tremendous in state talent, it’s not going to be enough to out recruit Bama or USC and I wouldn’t be surprised if BK loses that in state talent to Bama and A&M. I think ND can make the playoffs and LSU will get left out. I think the best teams in the next 5 years are as follows…

Bama
A&M
Georgia
USC
Ohio State
LSU
Notre Dame

And don’t count out Dabo’s comeback.

I’d keep LSU near the bottom of that list.
Well that’s why they play the games. That’s simply my opinion but we all know what opinions are like. I don’t feel BK has the impediments @ LSU that he had @ ND.

Reactions: 4-4-3
Well that’s why they play the games. That’s simply my opinion but we all know what opinions are like. I don’t feel BK has the impediments @ LSU that he had @ ND.

He has less. But he also now has a team of knuckleheads and an SEC gauntlet.

LOL, and beat Saban and Smart. Lol

I think you’re focusing on a tree vs. the forest. ND doesn’t need a chef, that’s ridiculous. But they absolutely need a training table. The whole point of a training table is to remove nutrition as a element players have to worry about. That gives players and coaches more time to focus on what’s more important - S&C, practices, film study, etc. It’s a must for any D1 program that wants to compete at the highest levels.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
He still has the biggest impediment and will no matter where he goes.
That impediment is none other than himself.

Notice how the game has become more driven by QB play over the last ten years. His problem is he's the worst at handling and developing a QB. He thinks he's a magical QB guru but his track record says otherwise.
In his tenure @ ND he had starting @ QB.....
Book
Wimbush
Zaire
Kizer
Golson

Not one...absolutely positively not one of those QB's progressed from year 1 through 2 and so on.
Most regressed or at best just stayed even from prior year.

That alone will cap his success.

P.S.

He does have a chef now so lookout!!!! WTFE

Partially under Weis, not Kelly.
So, in addition to the roster being stocked with NFL talent, including the #1 overall pick in his class, and 2 NFL TE's, Weis also left a partially started nutrition program. Swarbrick brought in a training table that Kelly removed along with the nutrition program.

After only 5 years, Weis clearly left the team in much better condition than Kelly, who had 12 years...

This quote is hilarious.
"I needed 19 years of head coaching experience to f--- up the first couple of years at Notre Dame," Kelly joked about his 16-10 start in his first two years with the Irish.

Sure, let's just forget about 2013, 2014, and 2016?

Not happy how BK left the school hanging but I do believe he will win a title there.
Not a chance, he's a 9-3 coach at best there.

Recruiting being slightly easier isn't everything, he's also playing much better competition and many other coaches (Smart, Fisher, Saban to name a few) have the same advantages he has.

The difference is Kelly's stubbornness and laziness as a recruiter.

Reactions: 88ND
Only my opinion but Kelly always stated in is pressers that ND was prepping for big game as they did any other. No changes in game plan. It’s like he had his set of 5 schemes and that was it. So good coaches knew what to prep for them mixed up there own and dominated him.

Reactions: DublinND

Lol we did finally bring athlete nutrition to the 20th century. That's the problem.

I'm not even talking about Kelly. You are. I'm talking about something every major college and basketball have and need

This should be corrected immediately for MF.
I think people are getting caught up in lingo here. There needs to be and IS someone in charge of the teams nutrition. They give the requirements and the school chefs then make the food.

The question is does the team need a dedicated chef and the answer is no. The idea that existing cooks cannot meet the nutritional load out forth for them is folly. They JUST PREPARE THE FOOD they are told to prepare.

Dedicated nutritionists yes we need those. Dedicated chefs nope.

I think people are getting caught up in lingo here. There needs to be and IS someone in charge of the teams nutrition. They give the requirements and the school chefs then make the food.

The question is does the team need a dedicated chef and the answer is no. The idea that existing cooks cannot meet the nutritional load out forth for them is folly. They JUST PREPARE THE FOOD they are told to prepare.

Why wouldn’t you want a chef dedicated to preparing meals for all of the athletic teams ?

What’s the downside ?

Only my opinion but Kelly always stated in is pressers that ND was prepping for big game as they did any other. No changes in game plan. It’s like he had his set of 5 schemes and that was it. So good coaches knew what to prep for them mixed up there own and dominated him.
IMHO, I would add SIHoosier’s “stubbornness“ criticism to your view.

Reactions: john0gaunt

We also don't have a training table inside the Gug. The food is transported from the dining halls over to the Gug.

There's no downside to having dedicated chefs for the team.

Giving the team all possible advantages is what we should be striving for if you want to compete consistently for NCs

Not a chance, he's a 9-3 coach at best there.

Recruiting being slightly easier isn't everything, he's also playing much better competition and many other coaches (Smart, Fisher, Saban to name a few) have the same advantages he has.

The difference is Kelly's stubbornness and laziness as a recruiter.
It's way more that that.
He's not a big game coach. Matter of fact he's extremely lousy at it. Unprepared.
Players in awe.
He's not a good QB handler but he thinks he is.
That makes him twice as ignorant.

The only thing he did @ ND was show Willingham, CW that the program no longer recruits itself.
We can speculate his effort on the recruiting trail but he recruited better than the two previous coaches.

That said when the games must be played the wheels fall off.

There is no speculation on this......
He never won a major bowl/playoff game. Not ever once. Actually those games weren't even close.

What's that mean? With one week prep time in regular season the scores often times are close against the elites.

When given 4 weeks prep time, he is embarrassed.

Think about that...the players didn't change between one week prep time or four. Scheme, scouting, new wrinkles to throw off the other team...all those changed with extra prep time.

Who does those things? The players? Nope. The coaches.

He's fools gold. Nothing more.

Last edited:
He still has the biggest impediment and will no matter where he goes.
That impediment is none other than himself.

Notice how the game has become more driven by QB play over the last ten years. His problem is he's the worst at handling and developing a QB. He thinks he's a magical QB guru but his track record says otherwise.
In his tenure @ ND he had starting @ QB.....
Book
Wimbush
Zaire
Kizer
Golson

Not one...absolutely positively not one of those QB's progressed from year 1 through 2 and so on.
Most regressed or at best just stayed even from prior year.

That alone will cap his success.

P.S.

He does have a chef now so lookout!!!! WTFE
Rees, Golson, Book, and Kizer all produced above their expectations. We never had a total lemon at QB like many other programs do.

I don't agree with this narrative at all.

Rees, Golson, Book, and Kizer all produced above their expectations. We never had a total lemon at QB like many other programs do.

The narrative is not that we had crap QBs.
The narrative is that the QBs did not develop and get better.

You think they all progressed from year 1-2-3?
How many times did Rees have to spell Golson? Many over that 12 season.
Kizer wasn't even starting playing behind Zaire. He was clearly the better player regardless of the injury.
Book was clearly better than Wimbush but took an obvious act of god as in everyone could CLEARLY see the offense was better with Book than Wimbush to get Kelly to stop forcing the square peg round hole.

Brian Kelly's problem with the QB spot is he loves messing with that position. He was a linebacker as a player but I swear deep down he always wanted to play QB. Hence his insistence on dabbling in that position.

You guys can beat up Kelly all day long, we'll know the truth in a few years. But there can't be any argument, he was able to identify and coach up 3 and 4 star talent all over the field. I agree he had problems with bringing in 5 star QB's, and even working with the 5 stars he was gifted, but he did well with 3 and 4 star TE's, LB's etc.

You guys can beat up Kelly all day long, we'll know the truth in a few years. But there can't be any argument, he was able to identify and coach up 3 and 4 star talent all over the field. I agree he had problems with bringing in 5 star QB's, and even working with the 5 stars he was gifted, but he did well with 3 and 4 star TE's, LB's etc.
This has been TE "U" before Kelly got here.

Linebackers? Huh?
Jaylon NEVER should've been allowed to move to an interior backer spot. NEVER.
He was the perfect outside backer rushing every dowm in a 3-4 scheme....
Which BTW was the system we ran when he committed to playing here.

Drue? He was a safety who was ultimately too slow. Added weight and moved to backer.

I watched them all early on and there isn't one of those who BK helped overachieve. Not one!

This has been TE "U" before Kelly got here.

Linebackers? Huh?
Jaylon NEVER should've been allowed to move to an interior backer spot. NEVER.
He was the perfect outside backer rushing every dowm in a 3-4 scheme....
Which BTW was the system we ran when he committed to playing here.

Drue? He was a safety who was ultimately too slow. Added weight and moved to backer.

I watched them all early on and there isn't one of those who BK helped overachieve. Not one!
He put a lot of 3 and 4 star guys in the league. Credit where credit is due...

Reactions: raycyrx
He beat teams with 3/4 star talent except when he went up against a better coached team, and got absolutely obliterated vs teams with 4 and 5 star talent. He didn't coach anything up.

He put a lot of 3 and 4 star guys in the league. Credit where credit is due...
Four stars is irrelevant. The difference between 4 and 5 star players is negligible. Within the realm of human error.

Sssooo...Give me the three star players he...himself...put into "the league"

He isn't a "good" coach. He's fools gold.

Worked harder than CW and TW on the recruiting trail but still needed to do a lot more.

Back to your statement I'll gladly listen to the 3 star players that BK put in "the league"

Waiting.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT